PDA

View Full Version : Mind Flayer Spaceships

AngelOfFaith
2015-02-18, 06:17 PM
OK, so the dwarf prince says "go get this ancient dwarf anvil in this ancient dwarf city". We go "OK", lets do it. We go into the mountain, go into the tunnel, disintegrate a sealed gate, go into the mandatory giant underground cavern and encounter the most usual thing - a giant illithid space ship pyramid lodged into the dwarf city ruins shooting lasers at us...

So lets for the sake of argument say that I rolled 40 on my knowledge:dungeoneering... I want to know that that is. Where the hell did my DM get that thing from? Because he was looking at stats for all the lasers frying our swashbuckler. It's not in Lords of Madness, it's not in Book of Vile Darkness, it's not in Drow of the Underdark, it's not in Underdark. Am I wrong in searching for it in 3.5 material? Should I start looking for The Illithiad or something?

hamishspence
2015-02-18, 06:19 PM
Doesn't the DMG have stats for lasers? Futuristic weapons section, after Modern Weapons (rifles and pistols)

Judge_Worm
2015-02-18, 06:23 PM
The closest thing I can think of are the nautiloids, the spelljamming vessel used by Illithids. They are definitely NOT pyramids however.
What your DM has was probably homebrew (dmg does have rules for lasers), from an adventure module, or 3rd party.

Is it guarding a stargate?

Malimar
2015-02-18, 06:24 PM
It's probably homebrewed. The only illithid spaceships I know of (from Spelljammer, mostly, though they're mentioned offhand in a number of other sources) are shaped like nautiluses and other shelled sea life, not like pyramids.

EDIT: Mind flayer'd!

Traab
2015-02-18, 06:30 PM
Sounds like he turned the goauld into ilithids. Stargate has pyramid spaceships that fire off energy bolts and are run by parasitic worms that invade a human body and control them from within.

hamishspence
2015-02-18, 06:49 PM
Aside from the change of shape when a mind flayer tadpole's implanted in a human compared to no change of shape of host when a Go'auld tadpole being implanted in a human or Jaffa, there's quite a few similarities between the two. I could see someone wanting to combine them.

Bronk
2015-02-18, 07:32 PM
Illithids usually used spelljammers with tentacles on them, like the nautiloids and bigger craft.

The pyramid shaped spelljammers were usually used by the undead.

If it's an illithid pyramid... maybe an alhoon?

As for the lasers, maybe you're getting some old school action going too... the mountains aren't the Barrier Peaks, are they?

Either way... sounds awesome.

AngelOfFaith
2015-02-19, 08:45 AM
It was definitely a pyramid shape, we teleported onto it and everything. It's in a lost dwarven underground city, lodged into a whole district of it, overseeing the mining operations around the city being done by a lot of illithids and what seem to be dwarfs. And upon further disintegration it was full of wiring and circuitry(thick ropes connecting slates made of resin).

I guess the weapons could be from the dmg but he must have used medium antimatter rifles - there were a lot of d8s thrown about... I guess well have to go inside next time to know what is going on.

Bronk
2015-02-19, 09:11 AM
It was definitely a pyramid shape, we teleported onto it and everything. It's in a lost dwarven underground city, lodged into a whole district of it, overseeing the mining operations around the city being done by a lot of illithids and what seem to be dwarfs. And upon further disintegration it was full of wiring and circuitry(thick ropes connecting slates made of resin).

I guess the weapons could be from the dmg but he must have used medium antimatter rifles - there were a lot of d8s thrown about... I guess well have to go inside next time to know what is going on.

I would love to hear what you end up finding out!