PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Statted up an Expert for Class Comparison?

johnbragg
2015-02-18, 09:40 PM
I saw the or a Monk vs Expert thread a few days ago, and I wanted to have a core-only or mostly-core Expert to compare other classes (and class fixes to) in things like Same Game Tests or similar. Basically, the point is if you're not out-performing a "class" whose features are UMD and WBL, you're not performing.

Before I finish statting him (or her) up, I wonder if anyone has already done it?

(The Expert from the Expert vs Monk thread had Lucid Dreaming as a skill and maybe Iajutsu Focus, which I think is more high-op than I want as a baseline.)

A_S
2015-02-19, 02:52 AM
I haven't seen one fully statted out, so can't help you there.

One issue I expect you'll run into is that most of the variance in quality of Expert builds isn't going to be in the character's stats...it's going to be in how creatively you use WBL and your UMD score. So, a full statting-out of an Expert is going to have to include an outrageously long laundry list of scrolls, partially charged wands, wondrous items, alchemical goodies, etc. It may also need to include lots of notes on how some or all of those things are to be used to solve problems.

Zaq
2015-02-19, 12:27 PM
Yeah, Iaijutsu is one of the Expert's only reliable ways of actually attacking for noticeable damage. Take that away, and they play very differently once initiative is rolled.

Of course, one of the other good ways for an Expert to contribute to combat is by means of Handle Animal. Get a huge Handle Animal mod, get some really nasty pet (or pets), and have them do the dirty work for you. That's going to be a good part of their power, so you'll have to determine just what pets you want the Expert to have.

And of course UMD, but you knew that already.

Eldan
2015-02-19, 12:28 PM
Yeah, the expert would probably spend a good part of his money on things like, say, Ashworm or Griffin mounts. The rest on things like wands for UMD.