PDA

View Full Version : The Best Bow for my Swift Ambusher

Leathros
2015-02-19, 12:06 PM
So I'm getting a Swift Ambusher, and I have a big desition to make. The bow.
Yes, I'm going with a bow, since I'm making a melee/ranged Hybdrid im doing some stuff with the bow to make it a quarterstaff too.

So, the biggest thing is: Do I spend almost 90% of my Gold (49k) on making it +1 Splitting (+4 Total 42k cost), or do I get a +3 Normal bow So I get a boost on my attack and flat dmg? or Do I get a +1 Collisioner (or something like that, a +2 Weap. Property that gives +5 Flat DMG on each atk) I have to make it +1 before making it Splitting right? Is there any way around that?

The other important thing is that I might be able to get 2 Raptor Arrows, which combined with the True Believer feat, gets me a +3 Bane (To Everything) Arrow. This +3 is a +3 Atk/DMG? Does it stack with my bow? It doesen't? If it doesen't it's pretty obvious that I should go +1 Collisioner, or +1 Splitting, and spend all of my money on the bow and arrows.

Thoughts? In regards to the rest of the gear it's pretty obvious, but since the bow will be my GOld Killer, I need to get it first.

Baroknik
2015-02-19, 12:30 PM
I'll just leave this here:
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a

Note MIC's guidelines on improving magical items

Rebel7284
2015-02-19, 12:32 PM
Splitting.

Yes, you need a masterwork +1 bow first.

Also, most people start only one thread per character...

Zaq
2015-02-19, 12:44 PM
Splitting is the single most important thing you can get on a bow. It's one of the only enhancements that will actually make you more accurate than if you just had raw numbers on your weapon (since more attacks, and therefore more chances to hit, ends up with you hitting more often than just throwing some numbers on your weapon).

There's no way to get around the requirement of having a +1 masterwork bow before you enchant it further, though. Just gotta suck it up and pay the cost.

Gwachitallemall
2015-02-19, 01:23 PM
Hanks Energy Bow. 22K. There's a web supplement for it...

Xerlith
2015-02-19, 01:27 PM
I'll just leave this here:
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a

Note MIC's guidelines on improving magical items

First of all, this.

Then you may want to put Splitting on it.
If you don't have to, never ever enhnace your weapon more than +1. Instead, add Elvencraft (it's now also a staff) and put three Wand Chambers (quarterstaff is a double weapon...) in it. Then put Instant of Power into one of them, Greater Magic Weapon into second and a spell of your choice (Haste?) into third. Actually, asking a party Cleric/Wizard nicely is the best way to gain a numerical enhancement on your weapon.

Leathros
2015-02-19, 04:01 PM
The Energy Bow seems nice. Thing is, I'm not sure about how good will be for my character to spend 42k on the bow, by making it Splitting +1, and then having only 7k for the rest of the gear, such as Belt of Dexterity, bracers of armor, etc.

I might just go with the energy bow, but then again, there's a problem there, where I want to use Raptor Arrows, which are +3 Bane to everything, Elhonna's relics. So Energy Bow does not work with that.

I might just get a simple +2 Composite Longbow and that's it. Now the question is, do the +3 on the arrows stack with the +2 of the bow? Giving me a +5? Or, as I suspect, I get only the +3 from the arrows? Arrows give me +3 to atk and dmg, right?

Although Power Shots with Hank's bow... Maybe ditch the Raptor Arrows, and use instead the bow. That will save me a feat, and I'll only loose +1 +1d6 of DMG per arrow.

Note that I have 49k to spend only!

Flickerdart
2015-02-19, 04:04 PM
I might just get a simple +2 Composite Longbow and that's it. Now the question is, do the +3 on the arrows stack with the +2 of the bow? Giving me a +5? Or, as I suspect, I get only the +3 from the arrows? Arrows give me +3 to atk and dmg, right?
That is correct - both are enhancement bonuses, so only the highest one applies.

Leathros
2015-02-19, 04:13 PM
So it's pretty much either go with the Energy bow, and ditch the Raptor Arrows, or get a +1 Bow, and use the Raptor Arrow's.

Energy Bow advantages: Power Shot - Infinite Ammo - +2 - 2d6 of dmg
Raptor Arrow's in a +1 Normal Bow Advantages: +1d8 +2d6 +3 DMG, returning. Half the cost.

I think i'm going with Raptor, It'll take a feat, but It's the cheapest. There's no way I get to use Splitting in this ocation, Unless I ditch every single other piece of gear, and that will leave me with the extreme situation in which I lose my bow, and I'm a lvl 1 npc. lol

Zaq
2015-02-19, 04:14 PM
It may help you to crunch the actual numbers on your Splitting bow and on Hank's Energy Bow. Pick a few representative ACs as your target numbers, then see how much damage you'll actually do with the extra attacks from Splitting versus the higher base damage and Power Shot capabilities from HEB. See how often you'd hit with each bow against, say, AC 20, AC 25, and AC 30. (You'll have to run the numbers on the Energy Bow a few times to accommodate for different levels of Power Shot.)

Two other factors might be relevant, though. First, if you expect to fight enemies with a lot of DR, the Energy Bow might be more valuable, since it deals force damage (which is basically never resisted), while the Splitting bow is going to be affected by the DR many times each round. Second, if you know your GM is generous with the loot and gives you the opportunity to upgrade items mid-campaign, that might tilt things in favor of the Energy Bow, because it'll be easier to add Splitting to an Energy Bow than to turn a normal Splitting bow into an Energy Bow.

All things being equal, I kind of like the Splitting bow better, just because more chances to hit means you have fewer of those really disappointing turns when you just can't hit anything. But you can run the numbers for yourself and figure out which option is going to actually give you better odds.

Gwachitallemall
2015-02-19, 04:16 PM
The Energy Bow seems nice. Thing is, I'm not sure about how good will be for my character to spend 42k on the bow, by making it Splitting +1, and then having only 7k for the rest of the gear, such as Belt of Dexterity, bracers of armor, etc.

I might just go with the energy bow, but then again, there's a problem there, where I want to use Raptor Arrows, which are +3 Bane to everything, Elhonna's relics. So Energy Bow does not work with that.

Although Power Shots with Hank's bow... Maybe ditch the Raptor Arrows, and use instead the bow. That will save me a feat, and I'll only loose +1 +1d6 of DMG per arrow.

Note that I have 49k to spend only!

Yeah, I know you were limited. You can use the arrows with the bow. The bow allows you to use magic arrows with it, however you'll just go back to regular longbow damage. You only get either the +3 or +2, I had to look them up to see if the bane was included on your +3, you'll get +3 Bane Arrows, with the composite bow. And if your arrows are lost, you can use force attacks at 2d6 damage, instead of 1d8+2d6.

Edit: The other trick, is once you gain multiple attacks, you'll be able to get more attacks from Hank's Energy Bow, because your raptor arrows will be back the turn after.

Leathros
2015-02-19, 04:17 PM
Yeah I also incline for the Splitting, but with 49k Gold Max, it's a no go, and It's probably not going to be a more than 1 session campaign, so I rather keep my char alive for at least the first 3 hours hahaha. I might Just go with Raptor Arrows in an Elvencraft +1 Composite Longbow

Leathros
2015-02-19, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I know you were limited. You can use the arrows with the bow. The bow allows you to use magic arrows with it, however you'll just go back to regular longbow damage. You only get either the +3 or +2, I had to look them up to see if the bane was included on your +3, you'll get +3 Bane Arrows, with the composite bow. And if your arrows are lost, you can use force attacks at 2d6 damage, instead of 1d8+2d6.

Edit: The other trick, is once you gain multiple attacks, you'll be able to get more attacks from Hank's Energy Bow, because your raptor arrows will be back the turn after.

Yeah, the thing here is that if I go with both, Hank's and Raptor's, i'm spending 34k in the bow and arrows, and It's pretty much the same as the Splitting one, and Splitting is better. But you have a point, Hank's can go with Raptors, it's just seem a waste of the item, I only get the Power shot which is nice, but doesen't worth 50% of my cash.

So It's kinda settled, I'll go with an ElvenCraft +1 Composite (2) Longbow! And may the odds be in my favor. Or the Force be With me. Which Will be at least 18k, ... so LOL, Hank's bow is a better option, and I don't need a Feat to use the Raptors. So yeah, Hank's Bow is final.

I feel like I'm making a huge problem out of a one time session character, but I'm learning a lot