PDA

View Full Version : DC question

Naez
2015-02-19, 12:13 PM
How high would the Knowledge Architecture and Engineering DC be to identify the load bearing pillars of a building, both from outside (guessing at the internal structure) and the inside?

Mystral
2015-02-19, 12:15 PM
How high would the Knowledge Architecture and Engineering DC be to identify the load bearing pillars of a building, both from outside (guessing at the internal structure) and the inside?

I don't think there is an official DC. Sounds like DC 15 for inside and DC 20-25 from the outside.

Afgncaap5
2015-02-19, 01:37 PM
I don't think there is an official DC. Sounds like DC 15 for inside and DC 20-25 from the outside.

Yeah, that seems reasonable. I might add modifiers for certain kinds of buildings or rooms or cultures (-5 to the DC for dwarves who are daring people to assault their fortress with the sheer majesty of it, +5 to the DC for dwarves who are trying to keep that kind of thing hidden. Only +/-2 for non-dwarves trying the same kinds of things because they're not dwarves.)

KillianHawkeye
2015-02-19, 07:17 PM
EDIT: Warning: This post may contain sarcasm.

The easiest answer is that all pillars are load-bearing. Otherwise, what's the point of building pillars? For decoration??? No. The thing you really need to determine is how much of the load each pillar bears and how many of them need to get knocked over before the ceiling starts coming down.

Flickerdart
2015-02-19, 07:33 PM
Otherwise, what's the point of building pillars? For decoration??? No.
Uh, yeah. Decorative pillars are incredibly common in architecture.

KillianHawkeye
2015-02-19, 08:04 PM
Really, my triple question mark didn't tip you off that my post was somewhat facetious? Ah well, ya win some, ya lose some, eh? :smallsigh:

weckar
2015-02-19, 08:30 PM
I honestly don't think being a dwarf should have much to do with this at all, especially in non-dwarven architecture. Stonecutting does enough for them as-is.

bjoern
2015-02-19, 08:50 PM
EDIT: Warning: This post may contain sarcasm.

The easiest answer is that all pillars are load-bearing. Otherwise, what's the point of building pillars? For decoration??? No. The thing you really need to determine is how much of the load each pillar bears and how many of them need to get knocked over before the ceiling starts coming down.

You got it. The vast majority of engineering design is decorative. Form over function.

Deophaun
2015-02-20, 02:27 AM
Really, my triple question mark didn't tip you off that my post was somewhat facetious? Ah well, ya win some, ya lose some, eh? :smallsigh:
I thought the question marks were just decorative.