PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Imperius Build

LoyalPaladin
2015-02-19, 12:35 PM
Hey everybody! I had posted the other day about the level adjustment for a Solar, but things have shifted a little and we're going more along the lines of a Purge the Nine Hells theme now. I'm looking into a character based around Imperius (http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Imperius) from Diablo. I considered Tyrael, but I am more of a "lead my comrades to victory" guy instead of the vigilante justice type. Bonus points if you have a build for him though. I was thinking a Trumpet Archon Crusader... but perhaps you all have a better idea!

Paladin edit:
Are there any cool halo magical items? Maybe a good circlet/crown that can be refluffed?

Karl Aegis
2015-02-19, 01:26 PM
You could go with an Elohim (33 hit dice, 36 Level Adjustment) with the Amidah Template (111 Level Adjustment) If you wanted to have the greatest warrior in the universe who also was a general of angels. However, this may be too much for most tables.

Chronos
2015-02-19, 02:19 PM
From what misbegotten dark corner of Internet homebrew did you find a template with an eleventy-one level adjustment?

Belial_the_Leveler
2015-02-19, 03:21 PM
The Immortals Handbook. :smalltongue:

LoyalPaladin
2015-02-19, 03:43 PM
The Immortals Handbook. :smalltongue:
... I need it. For... reasons.

Red Fel
2015-02-19, 03:43 PM
Lesser Aasimar is a safe starting point for an angelic warrior. As a rule, class levels are better than monster levels (unless you're using Outsider HD, but even then it depends), and a Lesser Aasimar's convenient no-LA no-RHD starting point lets you invest wholly in class levels.

Hellreaver is a really excellent choice for a melee demonslaying brute. In the alternative, Fist of Raziel is a great go-to for that sort of thing, and progresses divine casting. You can get into FoR via Cleric or Paladin (or Favored Soul, if that's your thing). Frankly, if you want more of a team player, Cleric/FoR is easy enough, and gets you spellcasting that benefits the party.

Also, in BoED, there's a fun feat chain which might interest you if you have feats to spare. Since you're so interested in a halo, consider the feat Nimbus of Light, which makes you glow and gives you a bonus to Diplomacy and Sense Motive when dealing with Good characters. Not great, but it's a portable light source, and easily refluffed to come from a halo, instead of just an all-around glow. Here's where it gets better. Holy Radiance is a feat that turns it into "aura of undead-burning," dealing 1d4 damage to any undead within 10 feet every round they remain there. Again, it's not overwhelmingly great, but it gives you that sense of "I am walking holy judgment" flavor you want. BoED also gives us Resounding Blow, which lets your melee crits cause enemies to cower, and its sequel Quell the Profane, which causes your melee crits to cause Str damage.

Now, if you're willing to adapt things, PF has at least two halo (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/halo-of-inner-calm) items (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/halo-of-menace). Aasimars in PF are also able to generate their own halos (with an alternate racial trait), which give a bonus to Intimidate checks against Evil creatures and on saves versus becoming dazzled or blinded. But again, that's PF.

LoyalPaladin
2015-02-19, 03:55 PM
Lesser Aasimar is a safe starting point for an angelic warrior.
I thought about being an Aasimar, but the lack of flight and other outsider advantages made me decide against it. I really like the Archons for what they are. I wish they'd tell me what Raziel himself is!

Hellreaver is a really excellent choice for a melee demonslaying brute. In the alternative, Fist of Raziel is a great go-to for that sort of thing, and progresses divine casting.
I can't believe I have never seen Hellreaver. I'm totally going to go Paladin 6 / Hellreaver 10. Thanks Red Fel, that's awesome. Though... sometimes I wonder if you know so much about good classes because you study how to defeat them...

Also, in BoED, there's a fun feat chain which might interest you if you have feats to spare. Since you're so interested in a halo, consider the feat Nimbus of Light, which makes you glow and gives you a bonus to Diplomacy and Sense Motive when dealing with Good characters. Not great, but it's a portable light source, and easily refluffed to come from a halo, instead of just an all-around glow. Here's where it gets better. Holy Radiance is a feat that turns it into "aura of undead-burning," dealing 1d4 damage to any undead within 10 feet every round they remain there. Again, it's not overwhelmingly great, but it gives you that sense of "I am walking holy judgment" flavor you want. BoED also gives us Resounding Blow, which lets your melee crits cause enemies to cower, and its sequel Quell the Profane, which causes your melee crits to cause Str damage.
This is great. I like the hit an evil thing REALLY hard idea. Mama always told me "If the bad guys get back up, you didn't hit hard enough." haha.

Chronos
2015-02-19, 05:05 PM
Quoth Belial_the_Leveler:

The Immortals Handbook.
Ah, I had a hunch that it might be that particular misbegotten dark corner of Internet homebrew. The writers of that book seemed to have believed that bigger numbers were the entirety of the game, with the result that pretty much everything in it could be soloed by a level 20 character, often even without spellcasting.

Red Fel
2015-02-19, 08:01 PM
I thought about being an Aasimar, but the lack of flight and other outsider advantages made me decide against it. I really like the Archons for what they are. I wish they'd tell me what Raziel himself is!

Tome Archon. The most Arch of Archons there are. Is. Be. The Tome Archons are basically the administrators of the Seven Heavens of Celestia (LG plane), second only to the gods of that plane. They're also embodied in the Exalted feat Servant of the Heavens, which is - wait for it - a prereq for the Fist of Raziel PrC.

I can't believe I have never seen Hellreaver. I'm totally going to go Paladin 6 / Hellreaver 10. Thanks Red Fel, that's awesome. Though... sometimes I wonder if you know so much about good classes because you study how to defeat them...

The thing about Hellreaver is that it's basically independent of casting ability. Frankly, a Fighter/Hellreaver works great. Possibly even a Barbarian/Hellreaver, although I'm not precisely sure how the Hellreaver's mechanics work during Rage. (Side note, Barbarian/Champion of Gobbledygook is great if you want to get the "holy rage" thing going.)

Honestly, Paladin is a bit of a nuisance unless you specifically want things like Battle Blessing, Cha-to-whatever, or Lay on Hands.

And as an aside, I study quality heroes extensively. Every villain needs a good hero, after all.

This is great. I like the hit an evil thing REALLY hard idea. Mama always told me "If the bad guys get back up, you didn't hit hard enough." haha.

There are a few other feats in BoED that you should look into, then. Mostly, if you plan to play an angelic being, it helps to just pick up the whole thing. Ignore the fluff, because it gets confusing, but some of the crunch can be pretty crunchy.

Mm, holy nougat.