PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Tiny Whip Build

bootzin
2015-02-19, 02:10 PM
Hey guys!
So, I'm making a new Whip build right now, and I'd like some suggestions, review and help on how can I enhance it. Here is the build:

(I'm using this (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?166474-Lasher-PrC-(3-5-Update-and-Variant)) version of the Lasher)

Race: Feral Half-Fey Muckdweller (Half-Fey is via Savage Progression, making it LA+1)
OR
Race: White Dragonspawn Half-Fey Muckdweller
Which do you think is better?

Stats: 9/15/9/17/9/12 --> 6/20/8/14/10/13 (28 PB)
OR
Stats: 10/16/8/14/12/14 --> 4/26/8/14/10/14 (28 PB)

#
Class
Comments
Feat

Warblade 1
Best HD and a good amount of skill points to start off. Weapon Aptitude will be usefull later. Knowledge (local) as class skill is good to get FMI. Going for Weapon Groups to get a good amount of Exotic Proficiencies
Weapon Finesse (quickrazor) - Bonus; Faerie Mysteries Initiate

Soulknife 1
Retrain Weapon Focus to be Weapon Focus (Quickrazor), will retrain again later to get WF (Whip).
WF (Mind Blade) B; Wild Talent B

Hit n' Run Fighter 1
Adding DEX to damage when opponents are flat-footed, a bonus feat, and +2 Initiative
Another Weapon Focus as later I'll need WF (Whip) and WF (Rapier); Combat Expertise B

Psychic Warrior 1
Access to Expansion in case of need, and maybe Compression. Another bonus feat. Maybe replace this with a level of Barbarian to get Pounce
Combat Reflexes B

Crusader 1
This is here mainly for one reason: Thicket of Blades and a Full BAB.
Flyby Attack; But only if I went the Dragonspawn way, otherwise I'm not really sure, but I guess Stand still is really nice, but it would require me to increase my strength score to 13 (I only have 6 at most)

Sonokineticist 1
Pyrokineticist Variant that deals sound damage. AWESOME in the fact that gets em a 15' reach while being tiny. Do you think I should use another element? Electricity or maybe Acid? Help me with this, please
-

Lasher 1
Now, this is it, here is where the build becomes really good. Threaten 5' with whip, lethal damage, do not provoke when attacking AND a sneak attack. This is really good.
Undefoot Combatant; This is a prereq for the next feat

Crusader 2
Thicket of Blades. Rest is a bonus. This would work wonders if I could get Stand Still, any way how to get this through items?
-

Lasher 2
Improved Trip with whips (Which combo well with CTBF) and Third hand, a really useful feature. This is why I'm not sure on wether to take Sonokineticist or another variant, as Sound damage ignores Hardness, and I don't want to destroy the objects that I pick.
Confound the Big Folk Awesome feat. Build runs almost around it

Lasher 3
A cool ability, too bad it is based on strength instead of DEX
-

Lasher 4
I will never say +2 free damage is bad, right?
If I've taken Flyby Attack, then Wing Expert is a good one, else I'd stay with Giantbane

Lasher 5
Now, I threaten at 10' with my whip. The best thing is that it is regardless of size. Also, another sneak attack dice
-

Blade Bravo 1
With the variant allowing small or smaller creatures, I qualify for this class. Although my CHA is not the best, the class works without it, and the best: I can use a whip with it!
Goad B; I have no idea of a feat to put in here. Something tatical, as I want a more supportive class.

Blade Bravo 2
+1 dodge bonus to Armor. Meh. The good thing is that I don't need to move by myself, so if I'm using giantbane to hop on an enemy and he moves: One free point of AC to me! :smallsmile:
-

Blade Bravo 3
A very good bonus feat list. Not much aside from that
Probably TWF, maybe Dodge as going for Elusive Target is really nice. Mobility works, and maybe ITWF if I manage to get those gloves that grant me 2WF.

Blade Bravo 4
Melee Sneak attack +1d6. Can't argue with extra damage.
-

Blade Bravo 5
This is as far as I'll get into it. A cumulative +2 dodge bonus to AC based on size is really awesome. Specially considering that Tarrasque has +48 to hit and is colossal
Elusive Target? Or any other useful feat, I reall don't know what to get for this character.

Lasher 6
Improved Disarm with a whip. Meh, I wish this feat was more usefull. If at least you could "disarm" unattended items...
-

Lasher 7
Now this is good! Stun is an awesome ability, and the DC of the save is DEX based! This is a really nice ability!
Yeah, I was already lost on feats last time I needed to pick them, imagine now... Maybe I finally met the prereq for Stand Still

Lasher 8
Additional +2 on damage. Not that good at this level, somethings could be really better. Probably most 1 level dips in classes are better than this last level. But if I'm going to Lasher 10 on Epic, this is good to have.
-

So, this is my character. I haven't really looked at how high is his BAB, AC and Saves going to be in the end, but I guess they will be good enough. Any advices you have to give me (Specially regarding feats and which type of element to use on the whip) are welcome!

Bloodgruve
2015-02-19, 02:55 PM
I ran a whip build at one point. It doesn't match up to what you are trying but I'll throw it out anyway.

I built it on the back of an Inspire Courage Bard using high Str, high IC +'s, TWF and Oversized TWF. Scorpion whip or Whip Dagger both do lethal damage iirc. Water Whip is a great upgrade too. Mix in some ToB maneuvers and Snowflake Wardance for fun.

It was fun to sit behind the meat shield and whip things 15' away. A bit strange to think about in a 10' hallway but dnd mechanics are dnd mechanics..

GL
Blood~

bootzin
2015-02-19, 04:32 PM
That does seems to be a nice build indeed, but it runs a little bit away from what I want :P

I intend to make a tin character build, (ab)using the Confound the Big Folk feat, but I really need some feat advice, as well as a good energy type to deal damage with.. Is it electricity that monsters are almost as vulnerable as sonic?

Troacctid
2015-02-19, 04:41 PM
I believe the energy damage hierarchy from most to least resisted is fire, cold, electricity, acid, sonic.

bootzin
2015-02-19, 05:18 PM
Than that means that the best option after Sonic would be acid, right? Does Acid damage also deals damage to objects? I mean, ignoring their hardness or something?

And IIRC, sonic damage deals more damage against crystal creatures, right?

Troacctid
2015-02-19, 05:34 PM
Than that means that the best option after Sonic would be acid, right? Does Acid damage also deals damage to objects? I mean, ignoring their hardness or something?
The rules contradict themselves on this point. There is an FAQ ruling that says acid and sonic damage do not ignore hardness, but FAQs are not considered a canonical source, and the actual text is ambiguous (it says acid and sonic deal damage to objects as if they were creatures, which would seem to imply not applying hardness to the damage, but it doesn't explicitly say to ignore hardness, so it could easily just be a confusing choice of words)--and on top of that, there is an additional clause that says some types of attacks may deal more or less damage to certain types of objects and possibly ignore their hardness (e.g. fire vs. wood), subject to the DM's discretion, which means acid might bypass hardness for, say, wood, but not glass, while the reverse might be true for sonic. Basically, ask your DM.

And IIRC, sonic damage deals more damage against crystal creatures, right?
Only if the creature has a listed vulnerability to sonic damage.

bootzin
2015-02-19, 07:45 PM
Thanks for clearing that up (:
I guess I'll stay with sonic then, and talk to my DM about DR

Now, do you have any tips on what feats should I take for a build like this? I have some empty slots there. And do you think that I should change a class for another?

Thanks in advance!