PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Forest

MorgromTheOrc
2015-02-19, 03:25 PM
So I got an idea for a character to replace one I have in a different campaign where the houserules have recently changed and thus my current character is broken. My old character had a homebrewed artifact that was kinda like random polymorph item called The Krown of The Shape King(Yes with a K because it looks better on paper) I got through the main quest line. But my old character no longer works well in the group so I'm thinking maybe fluff it as the Krown changing my character to make him think he's the person it was made from(which I'm fluffing as some forest spirit named Malachite The Shape King) kinda like the Ice Kings crown from adventure time.

Mechanically I'm going to design it as a gorebrute shifter that has the wildshape variant ranger and then using the shapeshift druid with that(hopefully going to talk the DM into allowing it by giving up spells and maybe even fast movement, since the ranger companion isn't as valuable) and have the feral template buying it off at level 3. After a few levels of that when I get bab+3 I'm going to prestige into the shapeshifting class from oriental adventures to expand the shifting times per day and get back a limited wildshape to use for fun fluffy purposes more than combat. I ran the stats and ended up with low Int. and Cha.(9 and 11) but the ranger gets pretty good skills and the separate shifter variant that just replaces the Cha. wild empathy with a Wis. version(I have 17 Wis.) should make it still able to interact with animals fine. I ended up with about 4 shifts per day each with 10 rounds so pretty much as much as I need and thats at level five. After that I'm not sure whether to continue shapeshifter or go into warshaper or maybe continue ranger back up again.

I'm happy with the build so far so I'm not looking for changes on that I'm just wondering about afterwards. And if you need a mental image of my shaped form to help I imagine the "Lord of the Forest" as an anthropomorphic wolf with clawed humanoid hands and the lower body and horns from an elk or buck(I wish I could draw worth crap so I could show you what I mean better).

Deadline
2015-02-19, 03:32 PM
So you are going for a visual appearance of this, but with Elk Horns?
http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2012/345/5/8/centaur_werewolf_by_kristiano21-d5nsh9f.jpg

The option that leaps to mind is the Nature's Warrior PrC in Complete Warrior.

MorgromTheOrc
2015-02-19, 03:39 PM
So you are going for a visual appearance of this, but with Elk Horns?
http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2012/345/5/8/centaur_werewolf_by_kristiano21-d5nsh9f.jpg

The option that leaps to mind is the Nature's Warrior PrC in Complete Warrior.

Mostly, I'm not sure whether I want it to be centaur style yet though it depends on whether I have to give up fast movement. And maybe more hair but pretty much perfect where'd you get that?

And that class is a gem among dirt clods for this build thank you. I probably won't go for the natural armor though as it's already at like the mid 20's so I'll probably pick damage ones.

Deadline
2015-02-19, 03:44 PM
Mostly, I'm not sure whether I want it to be centaur style yet though it depends on whether I have to give up fast movement. And maybe more hair but pretty much perfect where'd you get that?

Well, anthropomorphic wolf just screams werewolf, and the lower body of a four legged beast is practically synonymous with centaur.

So, literally the first result. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=werewolf+centaur)

And that class is a gem among dirt clods for this build thank you. I probably won't go for the natural armor though as it's already at like the mid 20's so I'll probably pick damage ones.

No problem, it's not as good as Warshaper (which you already mentioned), but it makes an excellent bit of filler, particularly when you aren't using it on a druid.

MorgromTheOrc
2015-02-19, 03:51 PM
Well, anthropomorphic wolf just screams werewolf, and the lower body of a four legged beast is practically synonymous with centaur.

So, literally the first result. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=werewolf+centaur)

No problem, it's not as good as Warshaper (which you already mentioned), but it makes an excellent bit of filler, particularly when you aren't using it on a druid.

Yeah I've used warshaper before but it kind of has a bad rep with my group and even without cheese would put the power of the character way too high so maybe just at higher levels. I was considering the wild cohort feat to get an animal companion back too and using a class like beast heart adept but minions of that level are a no go in my group as well. So natures warrior and maybe a finishing touch of warshaper should round it off well as a true Lord of the Forest.
EDIT: I just found out the best part of the nature's warrior prc, wilding, I could probably use it to expand the shapeshift ability so I can unlock aerial form and such by level 7 or 8. I'd imagine that as a fully four legged version of the normal one with bat wings added on.