PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Give Everyone True Strike?

Notafish
2015-02-19, 04:26 PM
Hi,

I'm preparing to run my first game of 5e. I'd like to incorporate some sort of 'called shot' mechanic and I was thinking about just saying that all characters can use the True Strike cantrip. Since True Strike doesn't take effect until the following round and costs an action, I feel like it is a reasonable trade-off for advantage. What do you think? Have I missed a rule for called shots/taking a bead that was already present?

Thanks!

Submortimer
2015-02-19, 04:47 PM
In fact, i would do the opposite. Called shots are supposed to be HARDER than a normal attack, with the understanding that there will be some associated effect. I'd flip it around and give them disadvantage on the attack, and then come up with an effect based on where they target (Creature going blind by hitting it in the eyes, etc.)

Notafish
2015-02-20, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the feedback -- I guess "called shot" and "taking a bead" are two different things.

Gritmonger
2015-02-20, 12:34 AM
What you might be considering is "taking aim" versus "called shot" - a "called shot" probably would cause a condition (such as mentioned above), while "taking aim" would be using an action to gain advantage on an attack (to, say, reduce the disadvantage from range penalties on ranged combat) - or you could say that it could /only/ be used as an action to counteract disadvantage. I'm not sure that doesn't exist already, actually...

tarkisflux
2015-02-20, 01:19 AM
Giving up an action to gain advantage on your next attack is only interesting if you couldn't make an attack with the first roll anyway, or didn't need to. Otherwise you could just take two attack rolls over two turns and potentially hit twice. If you do institute such a thing, I expect it to be a big hit in ambushes and not many other places.

Notafish
2015-02-20, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I expect that this would be very situational. I was mostly imagining it as a way for low-level archery enthusiasts to make sure their shots at enemies in partial cover have a decent chance to hit.

tarkisflux
2015-02-20, 03:43 PM
I don't think it's even really useful then. The round structure for an archer in combat looks like this:

Without Option:
Turn 1 - fire, one attack roll, one possible hit.
Turn 2 - fire, one attack roll, one possible hit.
Result - 2 attack rolls, 2 possible hits.

With Option:
Turn 1 - take bead, no attack roll.
Turn 2 - fire, two attack rolls, one possible hit.
Result - 2 attack rolls, 1 possible hit.

Either way you wind up taking two attack rolls, but if you waste a turn on taking a bead in the middle of combat you reduce your possible hits by 1. So it's useful as a pre-combat buff, but it's a waste in actual combat. It's only a decent cantrip because you can use it before you close to melee (or before they close with you) and then benefit from it afterward. A pre-engagement buff if you like. But once you're actually in a fight? There is almost never a reason to spend your action on it instead of just making two attacks.

Notafish
2015-02-20, 11:48 PM
...Fair enough.