PDA

View Full Version : Contest 3.X Ancillary Contest Chat Thread

Zaydos
2015-02-19, 08:03 PM
So not really sure how to start one of these, but I'll go ahead.

Currently Brewing: VII - Community the Many as One (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?476329-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-VII-Community-the-Many-as-One)

ContestWinnerEntrant
The Darkness Consumes (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?399648-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-I-The-Darkness-Consumes)Mr.NobodyVantaxian Powers (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18874083&postcount=5)
Follow the Arrow (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?403667-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-II-Follow-the-Arrow)Mr.NobodyThinking Big the Art of Throwing Rocks and People (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19008112&postcount=5)
It's All int he Blood (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?411057-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-III-It-s-All-in-the-Blood-%28or-not%29)JormengandRacial Fighting Styles (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19182866&postcount=5)
City Slickers (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?420252-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-IV-City-Slickers)NetworkCity Psicrystal (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19509053&postcount=9)
Beyond the Skies (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?429006-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-V-Beyond-the-Sky)JormengandStarstrikes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19573468&postcount=3)
Power in Rhyme, Poetry Time (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444046-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-VI-Power-in-rhyme-poetry-time)VaynorSong of the Open Road (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19853326&postcount=4)

And to get some discussion started: Still thinking about exactly how to do the voting (Just 1st-2nd-3rd, or take a note from the PF grab bag and throw in other categories), and about the best theme for the second contest. I chose darkness because it parallels the first Base Class Contest and because it is something that has a fair bit of breadth to work with while not being super broad.

I hope you all enjoy

Jormengand
2015-02-19, 09:28 PM
DAAAAAAARKNEEEEESSSSSS.

*Ahem*

Well, then, let's have at it. Might use this contest as an excuse to finish up my momentum project by just making more abilities for it here. Hmm.

EDIT: Or horrors! I could make more horrors! :smallbiggrin:

dragonjek
2015-02-20, 11:07 AM
A new contest?
Interesting.
A new contest by Zaydos?
I must stare at the screen for several hours until I decide what idea to work on.

DAAAAAAARKNEEEEESSSSSS.
DAAAAAAARKNEEEEESSSSSS. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBbCXfj0Sao)

Zaydos
2015-02-20, 11:49 AM
A new contest?
Interesting.
A new contest by Zaydos?
I must stare at the screen for several hours until I decide what idea to work on.

Something awesome I presume.

DAAAAAAARKNEEEEESSSSSS. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBbCXfj0Sao)

My answer to that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-leYc4oC83E&t=1m23s)

Beelzebub1111
2015-02-20, 12:13 PM
Darkness in fiction is usually descttibed as "consuming" or "Overwhelming" but really, darkness is just a lack of photons. Light is really more of an overwhelming force, since it actually exists on a physical level.

Jormengand
2015-02-20, 12:39 PM
Darkness in fiction is usually descttibed as "consuming" or "Overwhelming" but really, darkness is just a lack of photons.

...of a particular energy level that happens to produce visible light. An area with barely any red photons can be lighter than an area absolutely swarming with Gamma photons. [/Pedantry]

Beelzebub1111
2015-02-20, 12:51 PM
even so, non-visible photons do not produce darkness. You throw non-visible photons into the mix with visible photons, it doesn't make darkess happen.

Zaydos
2015-02-20, 01:05 PM
Deeper Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/deeperDarkness.htm).

Ok, ironically that spell can be used to create light in absolute darkness, but the true absolute darkness spells aren't on the SRD.

More seriously I chose the name because my first choice (Beckons) was already used in the 1st Base Class Challenge and while I wanted a mirroring of themes it felt dirty to use the same verb so I went with the fantasy cliche.

I could, however argue something about how darkness overwhelms the human spirit and mind at time, bringing with it fear. So while light will beat back darkness, when you're alone in the dark that darkness overwhelms you. But that would be me justifying it dishonestly when the real reason was "What is the most fantasy cliche thing it can do?"

Beelzebub1111
2015-02-20, 01:26 PM
I'm well aware of the metaphorical sense, but I was thinking, wouldn't it be interesting if a setting had Light as the all consuming destructive force.

Zaydos
2015-02-20, 01:30 PM
I'm well aware of the metaphorical sense, but I was thinking, wouldn't it be interesting if a setting had Light as the all consuming destructive force.

If done well, but that can be said of most things. I've seen it done, I mean even Yu-Gi-Oh! GX did it, but I feel like I've usually seen it done badly (and I'm not counting Yugioh's because I didn't actually watch that season).

Now of course recognition that the same light which guides our eyes is the powerful gamma energy which can tear through cells is one way it could be done which could be fun.

Beelzebub1111
2015-02-21, 07:51 AM
I have something of an idea, although it is kind of abstractly related to the darkness theme.

I Do have a formating question, should we do a header and preamble to the entry or could we just post a bunch of stuff. Also, what would the templates for Traits be? Is having traits as a prerequisite for feats or a component for spells kosher?

Zaydos
2015-02-21, 10:13 AM
I have something of an idea, although it is kind of abstractly related to the darkness theme.

I Do have a formating question, should we do a header and preamble to the entry or could we just post a bunch of stuff. Also, what would the templates for Traits be? Is having traits as a prerequisite for feats or a component for spells kosher?

I would say a header/preamble would probably make what you're going for clearer, so unless there's a really strong mechanical connection people can see it's probably a good idea. For Traits (assuming these are Unearthed Arcana ones and not something else)

Name (possibly big
Description
Benefit: Stuff
Drawback: Stuff
Roleplaying Ideas: Stuff.

For the last question: Traits were not used for prerequisites for feats but were also optional rules from a book that really wasn't drawn upon by later books. That does not mean they cannot be. Book of Exalted Deeds used being an Archon as a component giving precedence for this kind of prerequisite component. In my opinion it's kosher and a potentially neat thing to do.

MrNobody
2015-02-21, 10:44 AM
I like the idea of this contest! I thought about it for a while and i think i'll partecipate with a vestige and a bunch of heritage feats related to it.

Soon after the creation of the world, when everything was still possible, an envious and powerful shadow elemental named Vantax wanted the plane of shadows to become an inner plane like the other four elemental planes. To do so, he tried to gift some newly created mortals (drows at first) to gather enough power to achieve this goal. Vantax was near to it when an enraged Lolth discovered what he did to its beloved race and stroke back: she attacked Vantax directly using her full power and tortured him to death. What was left from the battered elemental gathered in a foul spirit, a vestige, known as Vantax the grudging shadow.
The power that Vantax gived to the mortals somehow survived and is still visible in some character that are born with a natural understanding of shadows and shadowcasting.

1pwny
2015-02-22, 02:06 PM
Time to create an entire feat tree!

And I just copyrighted that idea. If any of you make a feat tree, then I'm going to disqualify you. Because, you know, I can totally do that. Totally. Yup. Mmhmm.

Beelzebub1111
2015-02-23, 12:21 PM
I find myself going back and forth on whether this should be a trait or a template. It feels kind of small for a template, but also a bit powerful for a trait.

I'll post it as a trait when I get home from work and you can tell me what you think

EDIT: Put it up. I'm sort of working on another project right now, but I'll expand and add spells and feats soon. Maybe wednesday night or thursday.

Zaydos
2015-02-24, 01:39 AM
I like the idea of this contest! I thought about it for a while and i think i'll partecipate with a vestige and a bunch of heritage feats related to it.

Soon after the creation of the world, when everything was still possible, an envious and powerful shadow elemental named Vantax wanted the plane of shadows to become an inner plane like the other four elemental planes. To do so, he tried to gift some newly created mortals (drows at first) to gather enough power to achieve this goal. Vantax was near to it when an enraged Lolth discovered what he did to its beloved race and stroke back: she attacked Vantax directly using her full power and tortured him to death. What was left from the battered elemental gathered in a foul spirit, a vestige, known as Vantax the grudging shadow.
The power that Vantax gived to the mortals somehow survived and is still visible in some character that are born with a natural understanding of shadows and shadowcasting.

I like this concept. I might be partial to vestiges/soulmelds/things that support non-core classes (if I was able to enter I'd go with a vestige + related mysteries possibly feats and/or soulmelds). Ok if I was entering I'd go overboard and then run into the problem that I'm not allowed to make a Shadowcaster-Incarnum theurge class or a Shadowcaster gish PrC. I tend to go overboard in contests. Fluff wise this is definitely better thought out than my abortive idea.

Time to create an entire feat tree!

And I just copyrighted that idea. If any of you make a feat tree, then I'm going to disqualify you. Because, you know, I can totally do that. Totally. Yup. Mmhmm.

You can do that :smalleek: Wait a moment... :smallbiggrin: I look forward to seeing what it will be.

I find myself going back and forth on whether this should be a trait or a template. It feels kind of small for a template, but also a bit powerful for a trait.

I'll post it as a trait when I get home from work and you can tell me what you think

EDIT: Put it up. I'm sort of working on another project right now, but I'll expand and add spells and feats soon. Maybe wednesday night or thursday.

I can't help but wonder what falls under "magic which harms the soul". Is it all energy draining effect and those spells which specifically do something to the soul? What about death effects or negative energy?

Beelzebub1111
2015-02-24, 06:22 AM
I can't help but wonder what falls under "magic which harms the soul". Is it all energy draining effect and those spells which specifically do something to the soul? What about death effects or negative energy?
Death effects and negative energy affect the body. Soul destroying and affecting spells are going to be defined in Black Magic.

ezkajii
2015-02-24, 12:11 PM
Is this contest mainly for new instances of existing mechanics, or would entirely new gameplay mechanics/systems be allowed as well?

Zaydos
2015-02-24, 12:39 PM
Is this contest mainly for new instances of existing mechanics, or would entirely new gameplay mechanics/systems be allowed as well?

There was a Base Class Challenge, there were PrC challenges, Monster contests, but the only Misc. contest was the Pathfinder Grab Bag which ended up being primarily PrC + Monsters anyway so I wanted to make something for other pieces of homebrew, for the smaller stuff that lets you customize a character. So while the intent was largely to build on existing mechanics, I'd feel off just flat-out saying no to something new, in my opinion the best thing about the contests are that they encourage homebrew, encourage creativity, and foster camaraderie so it seems wrong to stifle it by not allowing something out there.

I can't make a promise for what the voters will do, but that's up to the voters.

sengmeng
2015-02-24, 01:46 PM
I'm thinking of doing a bloodline. Are bloodlines okay?

Zaydos
2015-02-24, 02:11 PM
I'm thinking of doing a bloodline. Are bloodlines okay?

If there's not already a contest for it I'm liable to say yes; there might be changes/refinements later on, or possibly a branching of the contest but for now I want to just foster some friendly competition/creativity, and left things with few hard 'no's to let people expand and see what niches people thought needed filling. Later iterations might prove more restrictive, but only if the community seems to think they should be.

Bloodlines are one thing I personally didn't even consider, but are perfectly up this contests theme.

Things I have thought about:

Racial Substitution Levels: I'd give these a yes without hesitation.

Variant Base Class: I'd give this a no as too close to a base class.

Alternate Class Features: I'd give this a yes, and then note to myself that it's ultimately the same thing as the above since the variant classes usually don't have that many features changed. Well ok, ACFs are equivalent to a lot of the official variant classes, things like full class fixes and Sublime variant base classes go far and beyond most ACFs.

Magic Item(s): In a way this perfectly fits the theme of the contest (magic items are one of the small parts of your character that you customize and change in game), and in a way they don't at all (magic items aren't actually part of your character). That said I'd say yes, even if it made me :smallannoyed:

Race(s): These feel like they're on the same level as your class and like they shouldn't be in. The more I think about it rationally, though, the more I have to admit they fit (they don't have a contest of their own, they have nowhere near the impact as your class) but emotionally I dislike them. That said I'd allow them even if it makes me :smallannoyed:. Making me :smallannoyed: doesn't matter the most, since I won't be voting except in a tie, and after saying this would be trying to curb that emotional gut reaction.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will also note that in my original (scrapped) conceptualization the contest was going to be specifically for non-SRD subsystems i.e. Invocations, Mysteries, Soulmelds, Vestiges, Maneuvers, etc. Before making the contest I made the decision to widen it because the other was too restrictive and discouraged creativity and also seemed mean to the non-subsystem using classes, and non-core spellcasters. So some things on my part are irrationally carried over from that.

Beelzebub1111
2015-02-24, 09:22 PM
Added a few frameworks. just to give a sneak peek of what I have planned

Temotei
2015-02-24, 10:08 PM
There was a Base Class Challenge, there were PrC challenges, Monster contests, but the only Misc. contest was the Pathfinder Grab Bag which ended up being primarily PrC + Monsters anyway so I wanted to make something for other pieces of homebrew, for the smaller stuff that lets you customize a character. So while the intent was largely to build on existing mechanics, I'd feel off just flat-out saying no to something new, in my opinion the best thing about the contests are that they encourage homebrew, encourage creativity, and foster camaraderie so it seems wrong to stifle it by not allowing something out there.

Well, there was the MUHA, but that's inconsistent and generally full of large projects...so the point stands, I guess.

I miiiiight participate. Not sure yet. I have an idea or two but not sure how I'll flesh it out exactly yet and whether I want to at the moment.

MrNobody
2015-02-25, 08:33 AM
Posted my entry: it may still need some refinement (PEACH is super appreciated) but its done.:smallsmile:
Since also racial substitution levels are now allowed i may also add some themed drow shadowcaster substitution levels.

Kazyan
2015-02-26, 05:29 AM
Would a magical location count for this?

Zaydos
2015-02-26, 01:03 PM
Would a magical location count for this?

My misgivings for this are more than for magic items (magical locations are more of plot devices than character building pieces) but I'll say yes. This is one of those "really seeing how things go here" ones.

Posted my entry: it may still need some refinement (PEACH is super appreciated) but its done.:smallsmile:
Since also racial substitution levels are now allowed i may also add some themed drow shadowcaster substitution levels.

Well if you want a PEACH from me...

Looking over the vestige the Shadow Evocation ability is potentially scary. Remember that with Improved you can get access to 5th level vestiges at Lv 7 so this is actually a huge ability, especially since it lets you spam things like Stone Shape (even if not stone shape in particular) and abilities where the Save to Disbelieve don't particularly matter (though a lot of those are used on objects which means 20% effectiveness, but if usable out of combat). It also, as written, allows at-will SMIV for elementals.

Shadow Mastery on the other hand is more likely to be disadvantageous than not and probably could have the -4 part removed and just leave it as a circumstantial +1.

Looking at the feats Vantaxian Heritage is feat tax type feat, it's still better than Skill Focus at least... for a drow. Shroud and Legacy I'd make the drow bonus +2 CL because they have +2 LA. Vantaxian Resistance is a so-so feat but usable. Vantaxian Body looks like the one that makes these worth taking, but with its standard action activation you need 3 or 4 other feats to make it worthwhile even as a drow; I'd cut the activation action to Swift and maybe make a feat that grants extra daily uses.

MrNobody
2015-02-26, 02:26 PM
Looking over the vestige the Shadow Evocation ability is potentially scary. Remember that with Improved you can get access to 5th level vestiges at Lv 7 so this is actually a huge ability, especially since it lets you spam things like Stone Shape (even if not stone shape in particular) and abilities where the Save to Disbelieve don't particularly matter (though a lot of those are used on objects which means 20% effectiveness, but if usable out of combat). It also, as written, allows at-will SMIV for elementals.

Shadow Mastery on the other hand is more likely to be disadvantageous than not and probably could have the -4 part removed and just leave it as a circumstantial +1.

Looking at the feats Vantaxian Heritage is feat tax type feat, it's still better than Skill Focus at least... for a drow. Shroud and Legacy I'd make the drow bonus +2 CL because they have +2 LA. Vantaxian Resistance is a so-so feat but usable. Vantaxian Body looks like the one that makes these worth taking, but with its standard action activation you need 3 or 4 other feats to make it worthwhile even as a drow; I'd cut the activation action to Swift and maybe make a feat that grants extra daily uses.[/SPOILER]

Thanks Zaydos for the PEACH.
As i see it, Feign Elements is pretty balanced (i left Shadow mastery as it is written in the Shadow Elemental's description on purpose to balance it, but i think i'll lower the penalty to -2): it is true that can be abusable but with a very limited number of spells. Some of them can be abused out of combat but in this case i think time will balance this abuse.
Take stone shape (which is the one i used to explain what cannot be emulated but will be a good example): 1 standard action to move a certain amount of earth. With the umbral version it is 20% effective, so it moves 1/5 of the possible earth. To move the same amount of earth of a single casting of stone shape you'll have to use its emulated version 5 times, waiting 5 round from one use and the other, which means you'll need almost 3 minutes to emulate a single cast of the spell. Abusable, but if you are on the run maybe not optimal.
I see the problems with the elemental-spawning... maybe saying that the ability cannot be used again until the first effect is dismissed... or that a second use automatically dismisses the previous one?

For feats: Vantaxian Heritage... i'm thinking about raising the base bonus to +3 (it will basically become Skill focus (hide) + extra vision), but i think that having a +4 for drows could be to much. How about drows not improving the bonus but only their darkvision?
Mind that Shroud and Legacy both state "caster level for the spell-like abilities gained with this feat equals your character level +1." i, so is a +1, and applied only to those mysteries (since every feats grants a +1 only to the mysteries it gives).
Swift action is perfect: i was thinking about immediate, but it seemed too much, so i went to standard totally forgotting swift actions!:smallbiggrin:

Salasay
2015-02-27, 08:27 PM
Sooooo, my stuff is going to be related to a campaign setting I'm making called Paramıth (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?385265-Paramyth-Campaign-Setting-PEACH), and the flavor's going to be hard to do without any background on the setting. Can I include bits of previously established fluff for the setting (mostly history stuff, really) to my entry without violating the "not posted elsewhere" rule? Also, how much is acceptable, 'cause I could ramble on into novel length about any setting related stuff if given the opportunity.

But yeah, shadow færy heritage feats. Can I include the monster/race (not sure which they're gonna be, but leaning towards high LA/Racial HD race) along with the feat chain?

Zaydos
2015-02-27, 09:02 PM
Sooooo, my stuff is going to be related to a campaign setting I'm making called Paramıth (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?385265-Paramyth-Campaign-Setting-PEACH), and the flavor's going to be hard to do without any background on the setting. Can I include bits of previously established fluff for the setting (mostly history stuff, really) to my entry without violating the "not posted elsewhere" rule? Also, how much is acceptable, 'cause I could ramble on into novel length about any setting related stuff if given the opportunity.

As long as the meat of the entry is new, for example with a vestige assuming its legend and mechanics are new, it should be fine. As for maximum length... you're talking to the person whose current base class contest entry might actually be novel length and if not is pretty close.

But yeah, shadow færy heritage feats. Can I include the monster/race (not sure which they're gonna be, but leaning towards high LA/Racial HD race) along with the feat chain?

A race is fine, a single monster that exists for giving some fluff a bit of crunch backbone is fine, a summonable creature/animal companion/familiar/construct that PCs could reasonably build would all be fine.

Salasay
2015-02-28, 09:20 AM
Well, Malumbra are done. Can I get a PEACH on it?

Jormengand
2015-02-28, 10:57 AM
Well, I have a placeholder and part of my entry.

I can write a short PEACH on the Malumbra if I can get one on my basic concept.

LA +7 seems a bit much - okay, you can make them turn ethereal for one round, but to do it you're taking up that turn's standard action, which isn't great. By the time you can even have any class levels, a truenamer chucking 0-gp clubs at you can off you even with your weird darkness things and there's not much you can do about it except keep turning etherial and trying to spam swift action abilities.

Malumbra sight is a little crazy. Blindsight is not usually an ability you can just have from a feat.
The greater shadow meld thing is odd - the first time you get it it gives you +3, the next two times +2, the fourth +1.
Stride isn't quite clear what it considers a move - as written, you get +1/2 your speed (Usu 15 ft) whether you're running with the run feat and no armour, or taking a 5 foot step.
It's weird that you have to have high WIS and CON for some of the feats when you wouldn't get them by being a malumbrum in the first place.
Most of these feats honestly just seem really odd and gimmicky. It's like you're building a character around sitting in a darnkess effect and getting bonuses for it, so long as you don't go anywhere.
You can be a malumbrum with malumbra heritage feats to be doubly malumbricious.

Zaydos
2015-02-28, 11:39 AM
Well, Malumbra are done. Can I get a PEACH on it?

Race: Let's take a look at the LA shall we.
+16 net ability scores good, but with an LA this high probably only worth +1 in and of itself.
Speed and darkvision: both useful but not worth calculating into LA +7.
Same with nat armor and skill bonuses.
At-will darkness: With their other stuff this is worth +1 LA, maybe +2 for the mile wide effect.
Etherealness: What action is required? I'm guessing Swift which puts it at a +1 or so LA.
5-ft Blindsight
DR 10/mithral worth +1 or so.
Darkness concealment thing: If a creature has (Deeper) Darkvision can they see them in a Darkness spell? Or is it just blindsight that allows for it?
Overall I'd say it needs to be high and I'd need acid testing to say just how high. It's better than Pixie so it's > +4 but it doesn't feel 3 levels better than pixies so I'd suggest +6, but again this needs a character built at say ECL = LA +1, +3, and +5 made.

Feats:
Malumbra Heritage: Why an even ability score prerequisite? Overall it's a prereq feat not one I'd take for its own sake but that can be made worth it by what it unlocks. It's a heritage feat so it is naturally a prereq feat.

Malumbra Shadow: Define "Low-light conditions" usually that means Shadowy Illumination but Darkness just makes Shadowy Illumination so the special clause is a little unclear.

Malumbra Sight: With a 5-ft range I'd make the prerequisites less. It looks like it was based on the 3.0 Sword and Fist Blindsight feat (same BAB prereq -2 to Wis prereq for feat tax and 15 Cha). I'd reduce the ability score prereqs by 2 and the BAB by 1; it requires 2 prerequisite feats and while Blindsight is useful this partially invalidates Blind-Fight (which you have to take) and has a 5-ft range unless you already had it so you won't be sensing ambushes with it and the like.

Malumbra Body: Compare Fey Body. This grants DR of a harder to overcome type, in theory (I don't know how many Silver/Cold Iron effects you are expanding to include Mithral or how common DR /mithral is in setting which affects this). This grants the same DR, however, and has significantly harder prerequisites. I'd probably drop the Charisma and Constitution prerequisite, and possibly the extra feat prerequisite.

Shadow Melds/Stride/Rend: The Charisma prereq limits them to just Charisma based characters which personally I feel is mechanically unnecessary, so I'm guessing there's a fluff reason for it. The character level limits might actually be a little high as well. Of the four Lesser Shadow Meld is actually the strongest, though makes sense as a prereq for Greater Shadow Meld. I might remove it as a prerequisite for Shadow Stride.

Umbral Assault: This is 1/day, correct?

The feats are worth it for a Charisma based caster with Darkness as a spell, but pretty hard to acquire unless a Charisma based character and without some other source of Darkness effect difficult to use.

Salasay
2015-02-28, 02:51 PM
Etherealness: What action is required? I'm guessing Swift which puts it at a +1 or so LA.

Yeah, Swift action sounds right.

5-ft Blindsight
DR 10/mithral worth +1 or so.
Darkness concealment thing: If a creature has (Deeper) Darkvision can they see them in a Darkness spell? Or is it just blindsight that allows for it?
Overall I'd say it needs to be high and I'd need acid testing to say just how high. It's better than Pixie so it's > +4 but it doesn't feel 3 levels better than pixies so I'd suggest +6, but again this needs a character built at say ECL = LA +1, +3, and +5 made.

The "Darkness concealment thing" is really a blink like effect. The Malumbrum is physically fading into the darkness, so part of the effect is a "you can see me, nanana", and the other is a "your sword goes through me without hitting me, neener-neener".

Malumbra Heritage: Why an even ability score prerequisite? Overall it's a prereq feat not one I'd take for its own sake but that can be made worth it by what it unlocks. It's a heritage feat so it is naturally a prereq feat.

If you think that is balanced. I figured better to err on the side of too harsh than too lax.

Malumbra Shadow: Define "Low-light conditions" usually that means Shadowy Illumination but Darkness just makes Shadowy Illumination so the special clause is a little unclear.

... Well I had assumed that Darkness made an area of pitch black, literally no light, but now that I research it I found that its actually not that. The "low-light" means twilight or nighttime, making night assaults work better. I guess the shadowy illumination explanation makes that not work, so I guess I'll remove that.

Malumbra Sight: With a 5-ft range I'd make the prerequisites less. It looks like it was based on the 3.0 Sword and Fist Blindsight feat (same BAB prereq -2 to Wis prereq for feat tax and 15 Cha). I'd reduce the ability score prereqs by 2 and the BAB by 1; it requires 2 prerequisite feats and while Blindsight is useful this partially invalidates Blind-Fight (which you have to take) and has a 5-ft range unless you already had it so you won't be sensing ambushes with it and the like.

Congradulations, you're psychic! It is based off of the blind-sight feat, although its a 3.5 SRD feat as well. The SRD one requires Blindfight, so that's the reasoning behind that.

Malumbra Body: Compare Fey Body. This grants DR of a harder to overcome type, in theory (I don't know how many Silver/Cold Iron effects you are expanding to include Mithral or how common DR /mithral is in setting which affects this). This grants the same DR, however, and has significantly harder prerequisites. I'd probably drop the Charisma and Constitution prerequisite, and possibly the extra feat prerequisite.

Again, how did you know what I based it off of? I call hax.

By drop Cha and Con do you mean remove or lower? I think removing them and leaving the feat or removing the feat and lowering them are both good options, so which do you think is more balanced?

Shadow Melds/Stride/Rend: The Charisma prereq limits them to just Charisma based characters which personally I feel is mechanically unnecessary, so I'm guessing there's a fluff reason for it. The character level limits might actually be a little high as well. Of the four Lesser Shadow Meld is actually the strongest, though makes sense as a prereq for Greater Shadow Meld. I might remove it as a prerequisite for Shadow Stride.

I can lower the Cha and Level reqs. As for Lesser Meld being a prereq for Stride, the flavor for that is because before you can move through darkness easier by not being all there, you have to learn to fade into the darkness.

Umbral Assault: This is 1/day, correct?

Jawohl. Forgot to add that.

The feats are worth it for a Charisma based caster with Darkness as a spell, but pretty hard to acquire unless a Charisma based character and without some other source of Darkness effect difficult to use.
[/QUOTE]

The objective is for a gish or gish-like character.

Zaydos
2015-02-28, 03:20 PM
If you think that is balanced. I figured better to err on the side of too harsh than too lax.

Honestly the initial feat would be balanced without a Charisma requirement, but prerequisites are not just about balance at times.

Congradulations, you're psychic! It is based off of the blind-sight feat, although its a 3.5 SRD feat as well. The SRD one requires Blindfight, so that's the reasoning behind that.

Might have been in Deities and Demigods as well; I don't know of an actual 3.5 source for it. I will note the other feat in Sword and Fist with Wis 19 prerequisite had its BAB prereq dropped by 2 and its Wisdom dropped by 4 in 3.5.

By drop Cha and Con do you mean remove or lower? I think removing them and leaving the feat or removing the feat and lowering them are both good options, so which do you think is more balanced?

I meant remove. The Charisma one is still kind of there regardless (to make use of the feat you need many of these feats, to get most of them you need a high Charisma anyway), and the Con one... well most people are going to fulfill it anyway and it just seemed odd since the race they're descended from is not particularly high Con in and of itself. Removing the feat prereq makes it good at 1st level (on a human warlock with the darkness invocation) and decent at higher levels if you have Darkness as a spell but it's not until 9th or so level that it's actually worth it with the half in full light.

I can lower the Cha and Level reqs. As for Lesser Meld being a prereq for Stride, the flavor for that is because before you can move through darkness easier by not being all there, you have to learn to fade into the darkness.

I get the fluff reason, from a mechanics side Lesser is the strongest of the three. I'd still drop the prerequisites since either the character already puts a premium on Charisma (at which point they'll meet the prereq anyway) or it's really not worth it, if you put it lower (at like 15) it becomes tempting to some characters (such as rogues and beguilers) while still being a meaningful prerequisite.

The objective is for a gish or gish-like character.

Sorcerer gish might, sorcerer arcane trickster might, at the moment.

Jormengand
2015-02-28, 03:55 PM
Incidentally, Zay, I hope my basic concept is valid for the contest - deities weren't mentioned, and also the layout of my idea is a bit... odd. A deity that leads to a feat that leads to (Class ability here) which leads to alignment changes that lead to worshipping the deity again...

I doubt there's a problem, I just want to make sure before I commit a lot of time to making all the actual abilities. :smalltongue:

Zaydos
2015-02-28, 04:03 PM
Incidentally, Zay, I hope my basic concept is valid for the contest - deities weren't mentioned, and also the layout of my idea is a bit... odd. A deity that leads to a feat that leads to (Class ability here) which leads to alignment changes that lead to worshipping the deity again...

I doubt there's a problem, I just want to make sure before I commit a lot of time to making all the actual abilities. :smalltongue:

From what I can see there's no problem. I would say no to an entry that was just a deity, but there's no problem with its supplementing an entry. It's an interesting concept as a whole.

I will say as a DM I would not want to have to calculate the percent chance of various different outcomes happening :smalltongue:

Beelzebub1111
2015-02-28, 04:13 PM
Okay, all the feats I can think of are done. Just need to do Black Magic, and maybe an artifact that is related to a black magic spell I have planned.

Peach what I've got so far?

Jormengand
2015-02-28, 05:10 PM
I will say as a DM I would not want to have to calculate the percent chance of various different outcomes happening :smalltongue:

Ehh. Hope your players don't roll 30+ on their caster level checks? :smalltongue:

Salasay
2015-03-02, 09:00 PM
Added some reference material from Paramıth to the Malumbra entry. Would something like that be acceptable?

Also, is there any other stuff y'all would like to see related to the Malumbra? I could honestly wrote forever, so any suggestions or requests would be fine.

Zaydos
2015-03-02, 09:22 PM
Added some reference material from Paramıth to the Malumbra entry. Would something like that be acceptable?

Also, is there any other stuff y'all would like to see related to the Malumbra? I could honestly wrote forever, so any suggestions or requests would be fine.

Yes. And not particularly that I can think of off the top of my head.

Zaydos
2015-03-05, 02:38 PM
Ok, getting close enough to voting period to start talking about 2 things.

1. Voting: I'm planning to do ye olde standard method of determining winner a.k.a. voting thread, people get to vote 1st, 2nd, 3rd place, 1st is worth 3 points, 2nd is worth 2, and 3rd is worth 1. Most points equal winner. I am thinking about including secondary categories. I am currently thinking some combination of: most original, most likely to see play, best fluff, most in theme, and/or best execution. Do those sounds like good categories, I think using all 6 is too many, but which would be the best in your opinions? Also feel free to suggest others, naturally, that's half of what this is being mentioned for. I also want to encourage the creators to vote, but not necessarily disqualify them for not voting. Since there can be a stigma against voting for yourself when the rules do allow it (it feels dirty), but if the rules do not force you to vote it becomes simply beneficial not to vote, I was thinking about just giving every creator who votes 3 free points (the equivalent of 1st place). So voting can't make your position worse. You can still game the system by waiting and voting late for losers, but it's a bragging right competition and there's not much point in doing so. How does this all sound?

2. Next contest's theme: Figured we could talk about this before voting begins so that I could give a longer envelope to make things by starting the 2nd contest while the voting is happening for the first. I'm on a martial kick at the moment so my mind naturally goes there, but I'd like to see what you all are interested in. My ideas for themes are:

Melee
Exalted
Magic (as in things dealing with magic as a whole not just anything which is magic)
Video Games
Wilderness
Society

And I'm going to stop listing now to encourage other people to make suggestions.

Jormengand
2015-03-05, 03:55 PM
Ok, getting close enough to voting period to start talking about 2 things.

Oh yeah, I actually have to do things.

Might end up limiting my scope to just spells. Hrrm.

1. Voting: I'm planning to do ye olde standard method of determining winner a.k.a. voting thread, people get to vote 1st, 2nd, 3rd place, 1st is worth 3 points, 2nd is worth 2, and 3rd is worth 1. Most points equal winner. I am thinking about including secondary categories. I am currently thinking some combination of: most original, most likely to see play, best fluff, most in theme, and/or best execution. Do those sounds like good categories, I think using all 6 is too many, but which would be the best in your opinions? Also feel free to suggest others, naturally, that's half of what this is being mentioned for. I also want to encourage the creators to vote, but not necessarily disqualify them for not voting. Since there can be a stigma against voting for yourself when the rules do allow it (it feels dirty), but if the rules do not force you to vote it becomes simply beneficial not to vote, I was thinking about just giving every creator who votes 3 free points (the equivalent of 1st place). So voting can't make your position worse. You can still game the system by waiting and voting late for losers, but it's a bragging right competition and there's not much point in doing so. How does this all sound?
Makes sense, I guess.

2. Next contest's theme: Figured we could talk about this before voting begins so that I could give a longer envelope to make things by starting the 2nd contest while the voting is happening for the first. I'm on a martial kick at the moment so my mind naturally goes there, but I'd like to see what you all are interested in. My ideas for themes are:

Melee
Exalted
Magic (as in things dealing with magic as a whole not just anything which is magic)
Video Games
Wilderness
Society

And I'm going to stop listing now to encourage other people to make suggestions.

I'm going to say a flat no to Exalted on the basis that some people don't know enough about Exalted to do that, but any of the others seems fine. Wilderness might be a bit boring, but I dunno. Could work.

Zaydos
2015-03-05, 03:56 PM
I'm going to say a flat no to Exalted on the basis that some people don't know enough about Exalted to do that, but any of the others seems fine. Wilderness might be a bit boring, but I dunno. Could work.

I might should have phrased that as Exalted Good to avoid confusion with the game system.

Jormengand
2015-03-05, 03:58 PM
I might should have phrased that as Exalted Good to avoid confusion with the game system.

The point still stands, though. :smalltongue:

Temotei
2015-03-05, 04:31 PM
I am currently thinking some combination of: most original, most likely to see play, best fluff, most in theme, and/or best execution. Do those sounds like good categories, I think using all 6 is too many, but which would be the best in your opinions?

Most Likely to See Play and Most Original I like for sure. The others are fine, but those two are my favorites. I'm looking for the sixth and I see five so I'm going to assume this was either a typo or you deleted one category and forgot to edit the number (unless you count the 1st-2nd-3rd part as the first?).

Zaydos
2015-03-05, 04:37 PM
Most Likely to See Play and Most Original I like for sure. The others are fine, but those two are my favorites. I'm looking for the sixth and I see five so I'm going to assume this was either a typo or you deleted one category and forgot to edit the number (unless you count the 1st-2nd-3rd part as the first?).

I think I just rolled a nat 1 on my counting check :smallredface: Though at one point there was a Most Balanced, but I didn't so much delete that one as change its name to change the focus.

Temotei
2015-03-05, 04:39 PM
I think I just rolled a nat 1 on my counting check :smallredface:

Derp.

Well, I came up with a solid idea for an entry, though it's pretty small in scale. Time to start. :smalltongue:

MrNobody
2015-03-05, 05:04 PM
OK, if i'll manage to finish all in the next days i will add a new feat (Improved Vantaxian Boby, for more uses) and substitution class level for drows shadowcaster that open up to three brand new paths for mysteries: Vantaxian Gifts, Regalia of Darkness and Primal Shadows.

Beelzebub1111
2015-03-06, 11:00 AM
looks like I might only finish two or three black magic spells. I hope that will be enough to get the gist.

MrNobody
2015-03-07, 12:24 PM
Done! I completed the substitution class levels for drow shadowcasters and also nine new mysteries all for them! I don't think i'll add more but in case i'll let you know:smallwink:

For the next contest, Zaydos proposed melee but i think that "ranged" could be a better choice since ranged combat options in 3.5 are not that good.

Zaydos
2015-03-07, 01:05 PM
looks like I might only finish two or three black magic spells. I hope that will be enough to get the gist.

Soul destruction :xykon: I'm assuming that isn't all it does, I'm guessing soul damaging effects at lower levels (possibly negative levels).

Done! I completed the substitution class levels for drow shadowcasters and also nine new mysteries all for them! I don't think i'll add more but in case i'll let you know:smallwink:

Neat. If you want them picked at just ask, but unless you do I'll just note that I especially love the pseudo-wish.

For the next contest, Zaydos proposed melee but i think that "ranged" could be a better choice since ranged combat options in 3.5 are not that good.

And I like this suggestion.

MrNobody
2015-03-07, 01:21 PM
Neat. If you want them picked at just ask, but unless you do I'll just note that I especially love the pseudo-wish.

Thanks, this is a great relief: i changed the wording like 10 times to be sure of balancing it correctly. It may last one night but in the hands of the right (or wrong?) player it could have wracked thing up more than a regular wish!
If you have suggestions to give i'm always open to listen!:smallsmile:

Zaydos
2015-03-07, 01:50 PM
Some of them feel nitpicky but:

Hands of the Elemental: It just doesn't seem worth it. It's decent damage at 1st level, but at that point it's 1/day and with Fort half it's going to average pretty poorly even then (-2 to hit touch AC x 2 means ~48% chance of hitting once, and ~16% chance of hitting twice, throw in Fort save and there's a decent chance you're dealing 5 or less damage) and it doesn't get any stronger except its duration. I'd probably up the damage in some way and possibly make its damage scale with level. I mean making it deal 10d6 Fort halves per touch at 20th level would be in no way overpowered and only questionably worthwhile.
Vantablack Skin: Bit of a fluff-crunch disconnect as you can still critically hit creatures with total concealment (you can't apply precision damage however), but mechanically it's fine, I just might note that the darkness reinforces your weakest points. The duration could probably do to be longer (up to 10 minutes/level), I'm not sure even then it'd be any stronger really than Barkskin though 1 minute/level might be ideal.
Winged Shade: I loved this one so I'm not going to comment much. I'm sure the perfect maneuverability can be used to make it a really good buff on a charger but the bigger problem there is power chargers.
Globe of Darkness: It feels like its duration could be increased, maybe to 1 minute/level.
Sceptre of Darkness: I keep thinking it grants Rebuking instead of Turning, but that's my own sillyness.
Crown of Darkness: This one just doesn't seem worth the slot as written. Unless your DM uses a lot of shadowcasters it's a really, really bad version of Globe of Invulnerability. I'd make it clear the immunity does not apply to your own mysteries/effects, and make the duration longer. Really this is the only one of the nine I don't particularly like and that's just because it's so niche.
Eclipse: The line about preventing abilities that allow sight in magical darkness bugs me. I'm not sure whether it weakens it or makes it stronger; it means you need blindsight to see in it which is harder for you and allies to get but somewhat harder for enemies as well. Mostly it just feels out of place thematically, as those abilities function in the darkest realms of the plane of shadows and cutting them off actually weakens shadow creatures. Again this is really just a personal peeve and I'm not sure if it's not more balanced as it is.
Nocturnal Desire: I might lower the GP cap on non-magical items to Wish's and note that it's until dawn or 24 hours whichever is shorter, as many planes lack dawn or even an equivalent (the Inner Planes, many Outer Planes, the transitive planes).
Call the Umbral Lord: Mwahahahaha! I might love this.

Beelzebub1111
2015-03-07, 04:08 PM
Soul destruction :xykon: I'm assuming that isn't all it does, I'm guessing soul damaging effects at lower levels (possibly negative levels).

Thanks, right now I'm working on a spell that lets you EAT the souls of the recently dead
or destroyed. Maybe damaging will also work somehow. Maybe a way to give certain undead negative levels, since some actually count as ensouled creatures. The in case you can't tell, I may have been inspired by The Legacy of Kain for parts of black magic.

I also have a new feat in mind for hexblades.

MrNobody
2015-03-08, 06:27 AM
Some of them feel nitpicky but:

Hands of the Elemental: It just doesn't seem worth it. It's decent damage at 1st level, but at that point it's 1/day and with Fort half it's going to average pretty poorly even then (-2 to hit touch AC x 2 means ~48% chance of hitting once, and ~16% chance of hitting twice, throw in Fort save and there's a decent chance you're dealing 5 or less damage) and it doesn't get any stronger except its duration. I'd probably up the damage in some way and possibly make its damage scale with level. I mean making it deal 10d6 Fort halves per touch at 20th level would be in no way overpowered and only questionably worthwhile.
Vantablack Skin: Bit of a fluff-crunch disconnect as you can still critically hit creatures with total concealment (you can't apply precision damage however), but mechanically it's fine, I just might note that the darkness reinforces your weakest points. The duration could probably do to be longer (up to 10 minutes/level), I'm not sure even then it'd be any stronger really than Barkskin though 1 minute/level might be ideal.
Winged Shade: I loved this one so I'm not going to comment much. I'm sure the perfect maneuverability can be used to make it a really good buff on a charger but the bigger problem there is power chargers.
Globe of Darkness: It feels like its duration could be increased, maybe to 1 minute/level.
Sceptre of Darkness: I keep thinking it grants Rebuking instead of Turning, but that's my own sillyness.
Crown of Darkness: This one just doesn't seem worth the slot as written. Unless your DM uses a lot of shadowcasters it's a really, really bad version of Globe of Invulnerability. I'd make it clear the immunity does not apply to your own mysteries/effects, and make the duration longer. Really this is the only one of the nine I don't particularly like and that's just because it's so niche.
Eclipse: The line about preventing abilities that allow sight in magical darkness bugs me. I'm not sure whether it weakens it or makes it stronger; it means you need blindsight to see in it which is harder for you and allies to get but somewhat harder for enemies as well. Mostly it just feels out of place thematically, as those abilities function in the darkest realms of the plane of shadows and cutting them off actually weakens shadow creatures. Again this is really just a personal peeve and I'm not sure if it's not more balanced as it is.
Nocturnal Desire: I might lower the GP cap on non-magical items to Wish's and note that it's until dawn or 24 hours whichever is shorter, as many planes lack dawn or even an equivalent (the Inner Planes, many Outer Planes, the transitive planes).
Call the Umbral Lord: Mwahahahaha! I might love this.

Thanks Zaydos for your advices!:smallwink: Here what i did:
1: Damage now scales, up to 5d4 bludgeoing + 5d4 cold.

4: I'm not extending the duration because i feel it would bring it out the boundaries of a 4th level spell. "Spell Enhancer" spell (4th level) has a similar effect, is cast as swift, lasts 1 round and gives +2 CL and +1 DC. I lowered the first bonus and balanced the changing of casting time (from swift to standard) adding the AoE effect and a longer duration. I think that 1 round /level is fine.

5; Using rebuke was an option but since i also put the "dominate" effect i thought it would have been better to have turning!

6: Enhanced time here, and added "immunity does not apply to your own mysteries/effects". I know it's niche but it was intended to be so. I imagined the substitution class levels for a heavy shadowcasting setting and in that case it would be fine. I'm thinking about improving the healing effect (heal 3 or 4 times the level of the negeate spell) to make it more appealing.

7. The darkvision / low light vision block is still there but now abilities that allow to see in magical darkness works. This way is more favorable for the caster itself, that at 11th level gets from Umbral Sight darkvision out to 60ft. (even magical darkness).

8. Diminished the gp cap for nonmagical item and added the 24 hours thing!

Just to Browse
2015-03-09, 11:51 PM
I wrote my thing, so now I don't feel bad weighing in here:

I think variant classes / substitution levels / ACFs should be included in the contest, because there's nowhere else to put that stuff. Variant classes are fun to make and read, and it would be a shame to cut them out.
If you want to encourage creators to vote, just have a rule that creators must vote in the thread. Then we don't get weird point bloating.
Multiple categories wouldn't be a problem, but I usually vote for the thing that would be most likely to see play and the most original in the first place, so having categories doesn't seem very useful. I would probably give very similar ratings in multiple categories.
I'm against Melee and Magic as categories. Those feel restrictive in ways that I do not enjoy.
Suggested Categories: Anti-magic, music, the elements

Zaydos
2015-03-12, 08:36 PM
Just a reminder that the contest closes tonight in less than 3 hours.

At that time I will post a vote thread and deadline there in and sometime within the next 24 hours the next contest thread. I am currently leaning towards Ranged as a theme, but if anyone else wants to say what they'd like feel free.

Temotei
2015-03-12, 09:49 PM
I think I'll save my idea for a later date. Not sure it'd really fit well in the contest, but even if it did, I'm not really proud of it as is. Oh well. Maybe some other day.

Zaydos
2015-03-13, 12:34 AM
Voting Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?403365-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-I-Voting-Thread&p=18951391#post18951391) is up. I decided to go ahead and go with: All entrants must vote to qualify.

Just to Browse
2015-03-13, 03:06 AM
Votes for the three other categories are each worth 1 point. You may not vote for your own class.

Looks like you've got some uncooked copypasta in there.

Zaydos
2015-03-13, 09:34 AM
Looks like you've got some uncooked copypasta in there.

I have no idea what you're talking about, none at all... *whistles innocently*

Zaydos
2015-03-14, 11:09 AM
And posted contest 2 with a little over a month on the clock, so that people will hopefully have plenty of time to vote and make something.

Beelzebub1111
2015-03-14, 11:32 AM
It's ambitious, but I have a pretty good start to a ToB school based around bows planned out.

Just need to round out the details, maybe make a legacy weapon for it, too.

Jormengand
2015-03-14, 12:00 PM
Well this is a thing.

Time to revisit my old friend, the Base Arcane Archer.

Zaydos
2015-03-14, 12:36 PM
Well this is a thing.

Time to revisit my old friend, the Base Arcane Archer.

Thanks for the templates catch.

Jormengand
2015-03-14, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the templates catch.

No probs, boss. :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Whatcha think of my entry so far?

Zaydos
2015-03-14, 12:48 PM
Hadn't looked but.

Attack Component: I'm pretty sure everyone can figure out what this means, but you might want to write it out at some point just because it looks/feels more complete then.

Sor/Wiz: If they're on the Sor/Wiz list I'd suggest including Sor/Wiz in the level line. I'd suggest giving some of them to rangers as well, actually.

As for the individual spells:

Arrows of Asaph: Looks like it'd need to get some playtesting, but probably fine at this level.

Dimension Shot: I'd look at grenade-like weapons for how to determine what it is off by as opposed to just saying "Straight ahead".

Infinity Arrow: Looks good; I'm expecting to see someone do this as a maneuver at some point during this.

Markerlight: Does the bonus apply to everyone's attacks or just yours? If the former I'd type the bonus or make it a -2 to the target's AC but that's nitpicky.

Jormengand
2015-03-14, 12:54 PM
Attack Component: I'm pretty sure everyone can figure out what this means, but you might want to write it out at some point just because it looks/feels more complete then.

Yeah, good shout.

Sor/Wiz: If they're on the Sor/Wiz list I'd suggest including Sor/Wiz in the level line. I'd suggest giving some of them to rangers as well, actually.
They're not meant to be; the "As well as the spells on the sorcerer/wizard list" is to indicate that the BAA doesn't have to choose Sor/Wiz or BAA spells, but instead gets both.

Might give Ranger a couple, yeah.

Dimension Shot: I'd look at grenade-like weapons for how to determine what it is off by as opposed to just saying "Straight ahead".

I thought of that, but it seems that if you miss someone with an arrow, it's either because they dodged or it glanced off their armour, so it would probably just keep going until it hit something.

Markerlight: Does the bonus apply to everyone's attacks or just yours? If the former I'd type the bonus or make it a -2 to the target's AC but that's nitpicky.

All attacks. I guess it could be -2 AC, but it's more making attacking easier than making dodging harder, so ehh.

Kazyan
2015-03-14, 03:08 PM
I lazily did a thing for a class no one cares about. And by 'lazily', I mean 'I will be arsed to make the language better-edited than the original class later'.

Zaydos
2015-03-14, 03:32 PM
I lazily did a thing for a class no one cares about. And by 'lazily', I mean 'I will be arsed to make the language better-edited than the original class later'.

Homing Attack and Warp Attack make me want to actually read through the Lurk again instead of staring at it and going "Your numbers, they just don't add up." Well more add up to good.

Beelzebub1111
2015-03-15, 06:33 AM
Trying to balance alongside diamond mind and stone dragon.

First level stance is going to be Bow-kata: "don't provoke attacks of oppurtunity with ranged weapon attacks" but that seems a bit underpowered, any advice?

I don't think an infinite range shot will work for manuvers, since the entire point of an extreme range is to fire from outside of combat. I'm going to revolve it around hawkeye/legolas bullcrap.

caledscratcher
2015-03-15, 07:20 AM
Hey, a few questions I had. One: can I make content for Pathfinder, or does it have to be 3.5e? Two: Can I reference a product that's under the open-gaming licence and include a link to said product?

And... I think that's it. I'll get started once I know my plan is valid.

Zaydos
2015-03-15, 10:44 AM
Trying to balance alongside diamond mind and stone dragon.

First level stance is going to be Bow-kata: "don't provoke attacks of oppurtunity with ranged weapon attacks" but that seems a bit underpowered, any advice?

I don't think an infinite range shot will work for manuvers, since the entire point of an extreme range is to fire from outside of combat. I'm going to revolve it around hawkeye/legolas bullcrap.

Could include allowing you to use it to make AoOs within 5-ft. That said even as is it's worth a feat, which puts it as acceptable for a 1st level stance, my gut would say it'd be better than Stance of Clarity at least.

Hey, a few questions I had. One: can I make content for Pathfinder, or does it have to be 3.5e? Two: Can I reference a product that's under the open-gaming licence and include a link to said product?

And... I think that's it. I'll get started once I know my plan is valid.

While I would prefer seeing it with 3.5 and PF versions (i.e. what adaptation is necessary), I'm going to say yes, but it needs to be clearly labeled as such.

As for the second... I'd consider it the same as linking homebrew as far as the contest is concerned, so as long as it's not breaking forum rules that should be fine, to the extent linking a homebrew class would be (making new Rogue Talents and linking rogue would be fine in that sense).

MrNobody
2015-03-16, 02:32 AM
For The current contest i was thinking about An entry labeled "Thinking big'' focused on rock hurling (a new maneuver school And an object or two) And allies/enemies flinging (new feats). What do you think about It?

Just to Browse
2015-03-16, 03:17 AM
You should also look for a way to give non-throwers proficiency without becoming hill giants or whatever. Maybe write an ACF that trades some weapon proficiency for it?

MrNobody
2015-03-16, 01:35 PM
You should also look for a way to give non-throwers proficiency without becoming hill giants or whatever. Maybe write an ACF that trades some weapon proficiency for it?
Great idea! i think i'll start from that. I May make An ACF for every martial class to trade their competence with martial ranged weapon with rock hurling feat (regardless of size of The PC)... or Even more specific ACFs for different classes!

Zaydos
2015-03-16, 02:01 PM
Great idea! i think i'll start from that. I May make An ACF for every martial class to trade their competence with martial ranged weapon with rock hurling feat (regardless of size of The PC)... or Even more specific ACFs for different classes!

Note that of the three new classes introduced in Tome of Battle only Crusaders have proficiency with martial ranged weapons. And will this build off of the Fling Ally/Fling Enemy feats in Races of Stone?

Beelzebub1111
2015-03-16, 02:11 PM
Note that of the three new classes introduced in Tome of Battle only Crusaders have proficiency with martial ranged weapons.
Unless they are also elves. Something that people always tend to forget when they arm their elven rogues and wizards with crossbows.

MrNobody
2015-03-16, 02:55 PM
Note that of the three new classes introduced in Tome of Battle only Crusaders have proficiency with martial ranged weapons. And will this build off of the Fling Ally/Fling Enemy feats in Races of Stone?

You are right... i'll think about it! Going to a different ACF for each class could be better...

The maneuver part will not be linked to Fling Ally/Fling Enemy. I was thinking making the new martial school based on rock throwing and feats for the people throwing... al linked by the "throw big things" concept. Is it ok?

Zaydos
2015-03-16, 03:32 PM
You are right... i'll think about it! Going to a different ACF for each class could be better...

The maneuver part will not be linked to Fling Ally/Fling Enemy. I was thinking making the new martial school based on rock throwing and feats for the people throwing... al linked by the "throw big things" concept. Is it ok?

Yeah it is; I was just wondering if you were retreading Fling Ally/Fling Enemy or expanding on it.

Unless they are also elves. Something that people always tend to forget when they arm their elven rogues and wizards with crossbows.

I never get why people equip any rogues with crossbows beyond low levels, at least go shortbow. Well I guess Crossbow Sniper. Other than that Strength penalty can make it worth it for elves (1d8 vs 1d8-1) especially grey elves which might have -2 from Strength as wizards.

MrNobody
2015-03-16, 04:13 PM
Yeah it is; I was just wondering if you were retreading Fling Ally/Fling Enemy or expanding on it.
I'm uncertain: i'll expand on it for sure, on both sides (i'm thinking about a tactical/co-op feat for both) and maybe try to fix the feats, maybe allowing rock throwing also for small and medium sized character (i've always thought that is a Large creature can hurl a rock for 2d6, a Medium creature should be able to hurl 1d8 rocks and Small creature 1d6 rocks).

Zaydos
2015-04-01, 10:19 PM
And the first contest (belatedly) ends. Next time I hopefully won't have to break a 3 way tie.

First Place Vantaxian Powers: By MrNobody.

Second Place The Shadow Twins: By Just to Browse.

Third Place Dharakmekhr and Dark Mastery: By Jormengand.

Most Original Darkness Between the Gear Teeth By caledscratcher. I'm not commenting here because I didn't have to break a tie in this case.

Most Likely to See Play The Shadow Twins: By Just to Browse. Jurai didn't vote and thus was disqualified :smallfrown:

Best Use of Theme Vantaxian Powers: By MrNobody.

Temotei
2015-04-01, 10:47 PM
And the first contest (belatedly) ends. Next time I hopefully won't have to break a 3 way tie.

AHAHAHAHAAAAAAA HAA HAAAAAAAA (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIrt_-E0PRs)

MrNobody
2015-04-03, 07:34 AM
I... I won? Really? wow! Thanks!
Congratulations to Just to Browse And Jorm for The placement (it really Was an hard battle :smallwink:), and to other competitors too!

For the ongoing contest, work is stealing time from my pockets like an optimized rogue, so i won't be able to complete my new maneuvers. Hopefully i'll find some time to convert some of them into tactical and weapon style feats!

EDIT: I added 4 new feats to my entry (2 style, 2 tactical). I'll work on the spelling that it seems to be a little clumsy. Aside from this, my entry is complete.

Zaydos
2015-04-15, 11:35 PM
And with less than 72 hours left in the current contest two things:

1) If you want to make an entry it's not too late. Show us what you can do.

2) What would you like to see as the next contest theme?

MrNobody
2015-04-16, 05:57 AM
What about something related to a specific setting? like eberron, for example.

Jormengand
2015-04-16, 02:16 PM
What about something related to a specific setting? like eberron, for example.

Ugh, please no. I would have to go look up specific stuff about the settings just to be able to participate, which isn't fun.

MrNobody
2015-04-16, 05:34 PM
I Would have never considered reading something new "Not funny", But that's a Matter of personal taste.
Other ideas? We could range from more mechanic-related things (aalignments, Races, elements) To "Strange" things liKe songs, colors...

Zaydos
2015-04-16, 05:41 PM
Personally the only settings I enjoy brewing for tend to be home made, Dark Sun, Planescape, or Spelljammer. And if I wanted to encourage brews for those I'd go "Desert" "Post-Apocalypse" "Other Planes" or "Space".

Since this one was rather mechanical in nature I'm leaning towards something more fluffy than crunchy as for the theme.

MrNobody
2015-04-16, 05:47 PM
Personally the only settings I enjoy brewing for tend to be home made, Dark Sun, Planescape, or Spelljammer. And if I wanted to encourage brews for those I'd go "Desert" "Post-Apocalypse" "Other Planes" or "Space".

Since this one was rather mechanical in nature I'm leaning towards something more fluffy than crunchy as for the theme.

I See your Point. Pushing on The fluffy side Was more or Less what i was trying To do proposing a setting.

Jormengand
2015-04-16, 05:50 PM
How about...

SCIENCE!

Zaydos
2015-04-19, 11:18 PM
Closed the 2nd contest and posted the voting thread.

I'm going to go with Heritage as the theme for the next contest unless there seems to be some resistance to the idea in the next 24-48 hours.

Zaydos
2015-04-22, 01:12 AM
New contest thread is up.

MrNobody
2015-04-22, 07:31 AM
Nice theme! I was thinking about making a small pantheon for mixed bloodied creature (one god for half dragons, one for half outsider...) And maybe a bunch of linked "initiate" feats. What do You think?

Zaydos
2015-04-22, 01:49 PM
Nice theme! I was thinking about making a small pantheon for mixed bloodied creature (one god for half dragons, one for half outsider...) And maybe a bunch of linked "initiate" feats. What do You think?

As long as it includes some new feats, spells, domains, or something I'd say it sounds good.

MrNobody
2015-04-22, 02:23 PM
As long as it includes some new feats, spells, domains, or something I'd say it sounds good.

Yeah! As soon as i decide how many gods i'll make i'll also decide the extra material! I'm planning at least an initiate feat for each deity, maybe a new domain (Inhuman Ancestry or something like that)...
At the moment it's all in my mind but i hope to start working on it in a day or two!

Zaydos
2015-05-05, 11:46 PM
And the 2nd contest ends with Mr. Nobody as the victor.

Any suggestions on how to get voter turn out up for the next one?

Temotei
2015-05-06, 08:42 AM
And the 2nd contest ends with Mr. Nobody as the victor.

Any suggestions on how to get voter turn out up for the next one?

I just didn't have time. That might be better, though. What if I had voted to make a three-way tie again? :smalltongue:

I'll keep reminding my friends on Skype about it instead of just saying it once. Might be able to get one or two of them to vote. Next time I'll be able to, also.

As for increasing it in the long term, when we don't have enough voters in the BCC (rare these days because of the "must vote" rule for participants), I consider PMing some of the Playgrounders I know enjoy homebrew. Pair'O, Lord Gareth, Rizban, y'know. The lot.

MrNobody
2015-05-07, 02:45 PM
Well done everybody! Too bad that Kazyan didn't vote: he deserved that 1st place!

Having more voters would definitely be great, expecially because contests are often voted only by the competitors, and it would be nice if these events could draw the attention of a larger part of the community.
How to have more voters? Not a clue!:smallbiggrin:

Jurai
2015-05-14, 08:40 PM
I like the idea of this contest.

Zale
2015-05-19, 08:32 AM
I'm making a submission for the latest contest. I'm slightly worried about the level of power, because it's ToB related and I've not made much for that, so my power may be a little high.

Zaydos
2015-05-22, 10:29 AM
And unfortunately the contest has come to a close (I like ToB and enjoy seeing it).

Voting thread is here (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?416665-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-III-Voting-Thread).

Any suggestions on the next contest?

fuzzysora
2015-05-22, 10:47 AM
How about a theme based on Cities? Some urban feats and traits and spells and such?

Jurai
2015-05-22, 03:09 PM
Hmmm... I think for the next contest I'm going to rig up a thematically apropos discipline of martial Badass-ery.

Zale
2015-05-23, 10:48 AM
And unfortunately the contest has come to a close (I like ToB and enjoy seeing it).

Voting thread is here (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?416665-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-III-Voting-Thread).

Any suggestions on the next contest?

I got distracted reading another tabletop game book (And incidentally made angels that could withstand direct hits with surface-to-air-missiles).

Here's what I had (Incomplete though it be). I know it's too late to submit it, but I just wanted to share.

Night Child [Vampire]
You can trace your bloodline to vampires and their kin.
Benefits: You gain low-light vision. Wolves, bats, rats and any other animals the DM deems creatures of the night start with an attitude of indifferent towards you.
While in shadowy illumination or lower, you gain a bonus to spot and listen checks equal to the number of Vampire feats you possess.

Forbidden Thirst [Vampire][Supernatural]
Perquisites: Night Child
Benefits: You gain a bite attack that does 1d6 damage and a Blood Reservoir equal to the number of Vampire feats you possess.
This Blood Reservoir starts with zero points and gains one point whenever you inflict damage with a natural attack, though no more than once per round.
As a move action that provokes attacks of opportunity, you may spend one point from your Blood Reservoir to heal one hit-point per Vampire feat you possess.

Blood of the Ruby Scion [Vampire][Supernatural]
Perquisites: Forbidden Thirst, Night Child, Martial Initiator level 3.
Benefits: You gain two claw attacks that deal 1d4 damage and gain access to the Ruby Scion martial school.
As a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, you may spend one point from your Blood Reservoir to add your charisma modifier to the damage dealt by your next natural attack this round.

Ruby Scion

Should martial adept have access to this school, they may treat the following maneuvers as part of the Shadow Hand or Tiger Claw discipline (Decided when first taking maneuvers of this school).

This school’s preferred weapons are natural weapons and those of the Shadow Hand or Tiger Claw discipline, decided when the character first takes maneuvers in this school.

All DCs are calculated as 10 + ½ initiator level + Charisma modifier unless otherwise indicated.

All maneuvers of this school are supernatural.

First Level

Darkened Sun Rend
Ruby Scion (Strike)
Level: 1st
Initiation Action: Standard Action
Range: Melee Attack
Target: One Creature

You call upon dark rage to strike with lingering power.

The attack made as part of this maneuver deals an extra 1d6 negative energy damage and inflicts a -2 profane penalty to AC to the target until the end of your next turn.

Gravity’s Fragile Hold
Ruby Scion (Boost)
Initiation Action: One Swift Action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: One turn

As you explore your dark heritage, you find that you are increasingly free of weight.

Until the end of your turn, you may move along walls and other vertical surfaces as if you possessed the Up the Walls feat. If you end your turn on an unsupported surface, you fall prone at the beginning of your next turn.

Starving Hunter Prana
Ruby Scion (Stance)
Initiation Action: Swift

This stance captures the deep hunger that haunts all vampires. So long as you are at less maximum health, you gain Scent special quality and a +2 bonus to Spot and Listen checks against living creatures.
If you are at half health or less, you gain DR 2/Silver and your attacks deal an extra two points of negative energy damage.

Second Level

Mosquito Bite
Ruby Scion (Strike)
Level: 2st

You call upon dark rage to strike with lingering power.

The attack made as part of this maneuver heals 2d6 hit points. If you are at less than half hit points the healing received is doubled.

Unbreakable Poise
Ruby Scion (Counter)
Level: 2st
Initiation Action: Immediate

Whenever you fail a reflex save or bluff check, you may activate this maneuver to reroll the failed save with a +4 bonus. You must take the result of the second roll.

Third Level

Call of the Night
Ruby Scion (Strike) [Phantasm][Mind-Affecting]
Level: 3rd
Range: 30 feet
Target: One creature per two initiator levels (Maximum 5).
Duration: One round per three initiator levels.

Your dark blood gives power over the weak willed.

All targets must make a will save or have their vision clouded with phantasmal swarms of bats. You and all allies gain concealment against those currently affected.

Additionally, whenever an affected target would provoke an attack of opportunity due to casting a spell, manifesting a power, invoking an invocation or using a supernatural or spell-like ability, you may make an attack of opportunity against them. If they are outside of your normal reach, this phantasmal attack of opportunity inflicts non-lethal damage, but still provokes a concentration check (If applicable.)

One you make an attack of opportunity as the result of this maneuver, it ends.

Undead Acrobatics
Ruby Scion (Boost)
Level: 3rd
Duration: Until the end of your turn.

Until the end of your turn you do not take fall damage and if you make a charge attack, difficult terrain does not impede your path.
Also, you may use a move action to leap up to twice your movement speed in any direction. If you not begin your next turn on a stable, vertical surface you fall.

Fourth Level

Dark Fury
Ruby Scion (Strike)
Level: 4th

Make a full-attack. Any natural attacks used as part of this full-attack add their charisma modifier to hit and damage until you next take damage, or three rounds, whichever is shorter.
If you kill a creature with a natural attack made as part of this maneuver, you gain Fast Healing 2 for a number of rounds equal to your charisma modifier.

Glance of Dominance
Ruby Scion (Counter)
Level: 4th
Duration: Instantaneous or one round (See text)

A vampire can crush the wills of men with but a glance. You’ve learned to invoke a flicker of that power.
You may use this maneuver in response to a melee attack after the attack roll is made, but before damage is declared. The attacking creature must make a will save, and on a failed save they inflict no damage and make an immediate melee attack against themselves. On a successful save, they inflict normal damage but are stunned for one round.

You may also initiate this maneuver as part of a bluff or diplomacy check to take twenty on the check without spending additional time.

Fifth Level

Unholy Immortality
Ruby Scion (Stance)
Level: 5rd
Duration: Stance

You gain Fast Healing 2, light fortification and DR 5/Silver.

By spending a swift action, you may instead gain Fast Healing and DR/Silver X, where X is any number up to your charisma modifier. This lasts for one round per initiator level you possess. At the end of this duration, you become exhausted and take constitution burn equal to X.

Sixth Level

Dark Disincorporation
Ruby Scion (Counter)
Level: 6th
Duration: Until the start of your next turn.

You may use this maneuver in response to a melee or ranged attack. You lose one hit point per initiator level you possess and assume the form of a cloud of bats. You retain your own hit points, saves and natural attacks, but gain the immunities and vulnerabilities of a swarm.

At the beginning of each enemy’s turn, you may fly up to your basic movement speed and briefly coalesce to make a single attack with a natural weapon. You gain hit points equal to the damage dealt by any of these attacks.

This maneuver may only be initiated at night or in areas with less than shadowy illumination.

I feel like the balance is quite off. But you live and learn.

I've not really got anything in particular for the next contest. Cities seems fun.

Zaydos
2015-06-04, 11:35 AM
The vampire stuff looks glorious, Zale, shame it didn't get finished.

As for the next contest will probably do cities once this one is over.

Also a reminder to Jorm and Spike that they still need to vote to qualify.

Jurai
2015-06-05, 08:36 PM
Wooooooo!!

Second Place is for Winners!

Jurai
2015-06-05, 09:34 PM
Some warriors use the city to fight. Others fight in the city. Some fight using the city as a weapon.

Zaydos
2015-06-09, 01:30 AM
And Voting is closed.

1st and Most Likely to See Play and Best Use of Theme: Jormengand and Racial Fighting Styles.
2nd: Jurai and Corruption in the Blood.
3rd and Most Original: fuzzysora and Your Father Smelt like Elderberries.

The new contest is open.

Ancillary Contest IV City Slickers (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?420252-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-IV-City-Slickers)

sengmeng
2015-06-09, 01:10 PM
Throwing my hat in the ring with a tactical feat... not sure how well it fits the theme, but most bar fights occur in urban areas.

Jurai
2015-06-09, 02:05 PM
And my hat (again) with a full martial discipline. Giant in the Playground... of Destruction!

1pwny
2015-06-09, 07:03 PM
Making gangster feats. Mwhahahahahahahaha!

sengmeng
2015-06-09, 08:09 PM
Making gangster feats. Mwhahahahahahahaha!

On those last two... does the benefit ever go away?

1pwny
2015-06-09, 08:14 PM
On those last two... does the benefit ever go away?

Which two?

sengmeng
2015-06-10, 12:40 PM
Which two?
Oh, my bad. They aren't the last two anymore
The illicit spell researchers and the dominating guild. It seems like pretty hefty benefits when the cost is only time.

1pwny
2015-06-10, 05:10 PM
Oh, my bad. They aren't the last two anymore
The illicit spell researchers and the dominating guild. It seems like pretty hefty benefits when the cost is only time.

Ah. Well, yes, maybe. I'm thinking of lowering the spell level cap for the spell researchers to 3. Maybe 2?

The dominating guild is supposed to be pretty useful, though. You get what is essentially a lesser gestalt with a new base class every level. But IMO, some extra class abilities (from Base Classes only, no less) from level 13-onward won't change all that much.

sengmeng
2015-06-10, 08:53 PM
...won't change all that much.

Will it push classes out of their tiers? No.

However, I once heard that the balance point for feats was this:

If it's so powerful everyone would take it, then it's too strong.

If no one would take it, it's too weak.

So, I don't know. I think I would always take the dominating guild, just because there aren't really downsides, and if I was playing a sorcerer, I would definitely always take illicit spell researchers.

1pwny
2015-06-10, 08:58 PM
Will it push classes out of their tiers? No.

However, I once heard that the balance point for feats was this:

If it's so powerful everyone would take it, then it's too strong.

If no one would take it, it's too weak.

So, I don't know. I think I would always take the dominating guild, just because there aren't really downsides, and if I was playing a sorcerer, I would definitely always take illicit spell researchers.

I'll see your point and raise it 15. :smalltongue:

I nerfed Spell Researchers to only 3rd and below level spells. Still gives Sorcs 6 extra spells overall, but meh. I think that knowing an extra 6 3rd-levels is a valid thing for a feat.

As for dominating guild.... Hmmm..... I don't really want to nerf it............ do you really think I should? What about some other opinions from the crowd?

BTW sengmeng, you Bar Brawler feat calls itself "Drunken Brawler", not "Bar Brawler"

Zaydos
2015-06-10, 09:10 PM
I'll see your point and raise it 15. :smalltongue:

I nerfed Spell Researchers to only 3rd and below level spells. Still gives Sorcs 6 extra spells overall, but meh. I think that knowing an extra 6 3rd-levels is a valid thing for a feat.

As for dominating guild.... Hmmm..... I don't really want to nerf it............ do you really think I should? What about some other opinions from the crowd?

Well taking it at 13th is awkward as, unless it's PF (you use a ToB class in the example as opposed to PoW or I would assume it was based on this requirement) you can't actually take it till 15th sans Dark Chaos Shuffle.

Let's look at a warblade taking it at 15th level: Spends 1 feat, immediately gets a Fighter bonus feat (Fighter), gets another Fighter/Psionic feat and a first level power known (PsyWar), gets a third Fighter feat (Feat variant Rogue), gets another psionic bonus feat 3 powers known and 2 power points (psion), gets pounce (lion totem barbarian), and then gets an extra stance and batch of 5th level or lower maneuvers (Swordsage).

One feat probably shouldn't get you 4 feats.

I mean it's a neat idea and I like the pseudo-gestalt concept, but you can do better things with it than just pick up feats as well.

1pwny
2015-06-10, 09:25 PM
snipOne feat probably shouldn't get you 4 feats.

A quick question (I agree with you completely though, it needs a re-work):

gets pounce (lion totem barbarian)

At 1st level, a lion-totem barbarian gains Run as a bonus feat.
..Are you thinking of a different totem?

I guess I might make it an every odd level thing? 15, 17, 19?

Zaydos
2015-06-10, 09:45 PM
A quick question (I agree with you completely though, it needs a re-work):

..Are you thinking of a different totem?

I guess I might make it an every odd level thing? 15, 17, 19?

Lion Spirit Totem (Complete Champion).

Still 1 feat for 3 feats or 3 class features worth more than Fighter feats. It's still a must have for any character that benefits from Fighter feats (any martial character).

Also I think Illicit Spell Research is supposed to be that is on your spell list but you do not know (since typically you can't cast things that aren't on your spell list).

1pwny
2015-06-11, 03:43 PM
Still 1 feat for 3 feats or 3 class features worth more than Fighter feats. It's still a must have for any character that benefits from Fighter feats (any martial character).
What do you suggest?

Also I think Illicit Spell Research is supposed to be that is on your spell list but you do not know (since typically you can't cast things that aren't on your spell list).
Basically, its supposed to allow people to cross magics without multi-classing. Like, a Wizard could learn a 3rd level Bard spell as long as it isn't in one of his banned schools.

Zaydos
2015-06-13, 11:02 AM
What do you suggest?

That's the difficulty balancing it as a feat. Maybe if you could only use each class's features for 1 minute a day instead of constantly? Something like the original version (pick a class each level, different class than all the others, can't have levels in it), and for each class you can, 1/day as a free action, get it's first level abilities for 1 minute, only 1 class at a time? It's the best that's coming to me.

Basically, its supposed to allow people to cross magics without multi-classing. Like, a Wizard could learn a 3rd level Bard spell as long as it isn't in one of his banned schools.

Oh, ooh neat.

ShiningStarling
2015-06-13, 05:02 PM
I have joined the fray

Um... hi.

... meow o_o

Jormengand
2015-06-13, 05:30 PM
... meow o_o

Kitty! : 3

Anyway, welcome!

ShiningStarling
2015-06-16, 03:32 AM
Kitty! : 3

Anyway, welcome!

Thanks ^w^

Looking forward to the brewing, I will be adding and tinkering with my skill tricks in my entry likely right up til the last minute, and any feedback is most certainly welcome.

A bit of a note on my thoughts making these: I love finding bits of the game less people use, and then using them in a new way, one of the reasons skill tricks were such an amazing addition, in my opinion. I also very much like putting some challenge, dice rolls, thrill, etc, into situations other than combat, making D&D a little more like a spy movie and a little less like Gauntlet (Its not just the swords, its the skills). So... yeah! On that note if anyone has something in a skill-sense they think is underused, I may just try to apply it here if it is suggested ;3

... I went on a bit there... :smalleek:

Um... cheers

sengmeng
2015-06-16, 11:34 AM
Thanks ^w^
feedback is most certainly welcome.

I like your skill tricks. They make sense to include in certain playstyles and I'd probably use them if I played a rogue in a setting of urban intrigue... which I now want to. One little hiccup... the "I know just the person" title made me immediately think that it would involve Knowledge (Local) rather than Profession, but that's a minor thing. If they were mine, I'd have it key off of either skill.

Edit: I also added to my entry... and I think I did something unprecedented by having tactical feats that have tactical feats as prerequisites.

ShiningStarling
2015-06-16, 04:29 PM
I like your skill tricks.

One little hiccup... the "I know just the person" title made me immediately think that it would involve Knowledge (Local) rather than Profession, but that's a minor thing. If they were mine, I'd have it key off of either skill.

Thank you :smallsmile:

Yeah, I thought of Knowledge (Local), but it already gives a +2 synergy to Gather Information, wanted to diversify a bit, put that Profession skill you took for background purposes to work so to speak. I may change the title or fluff, maybe even the operative skill, but for now that was my thought process.

1pwny
2015-06-17, 07:45 PM
Zaydos, can you update the first post at some point please? It's getting a little tricky to go through links and stuff to get to the contest thread to edit my stuff.

Zaydos
2015-06-17, 07:48 PM
Zaydos, can you update the first post at some point please? It's getting a little tricky to go through links and stuff to get to the contest thread to edit my stuff.

:smallredface:

Fixed now.

ShiningStarling
2015-06-20, 05:05 PM
Made a few tweaks, added a new trick, and played with some formatting. I now feel like there are enough skill tricks to justify a finished entry, but I will continue to add and tweak as time goes on... probably. Still welcoming feedback, will continue to update here as things happen. :smallsmile:

Jurai
2015-07-01, 11:44 AM
The eighth can't come soon enough! I put a littleso much work into my entry!

Zaydos
2015-07-01, 11:50 AM
The eighth can't come soon enough! I put a littleso much work into my entry!

I keep having to remind myself that I can't post the voting thread early. Still getting a feel for timing here.

For the next contest I'm still considering Exalted or Vile, as well as the Mind, Horror, Dreams, and Faith.

Jurai
2015-07-01, 11:55 AM
Have we had a planar contest yet?

Zaydos
2015-07-07, 10:03 AM
Have we had a planar contest yet?

No we have not.

Which brings me to the question of the moment:

Any theme people want for the next contest?

Jurai
2015-07-07, 11:09 AM
Planar! We want a planar campaign!

Jormengand
2015-07-07, 12:39 PM
I don't. :smalltongue:

Zaydos
2015-07-09, 12:06 AM
City-Slickers Voting Thread is now open! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?426596-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-IV-Voting-Thread&p=19509122#post19509122)

And unless there's a new suggestion soon something planar will be done. Or maybe Space.

Planes? Or Space?

sengmeng
2015-07-10, 11:59 PM
Space-planes?

Network
2015-07-11, 02:13 AM
Yes! Planes in space! Planes that space travellers will explore. Radioactive planes filled with interstellar void and with all kinds of always chaotic evil alien gods, for good measure.

ShiningStarling
2015-07-12, 03:19 PM
Planes, trains, and automobiles...

It's lots and lots of planes!!!!

... Yeah I got nothin', but planes sounds like a fun topic, though maybe with a somewhat narrower focus?

Jormengand
2015-07-20, 08:25 AM
Is there any reason we couldn't start the next one now?

Zaydos
2015-07-20, 11:58 AM
Is there any reason we couldn't start the next one now?

Because I've been having a mixture of problems sleeping and bad allergies and forgot to post the thread for space (maybe Planes will be after that since I am a Planescape Junkie).

Edit: Here, contest (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?429006-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-V-Beyond-the-Sky). Name is bad because names are hard.

Zaydos
2015-07-25, 06:23 PM
So forgot to edit my sig or the OP of the chat so I'm extending the contest 3 days.

Jormengand
2015-07-25, 06:36 PM
Evolving. The Lexicon of the Evolving mind.

Jurai
2015-07-25, 07:23 PM
Fixed, grumpy avatar of Norse mythology.

Jormengand
2015-07-25, 07:27 PM
Fixed, grumpy avatar of Norse mythology.

I'm nice really! :smallfrown:

Zaydos
2015-08-16, 12:58 AM
Voting is closed

1st Place: City-Psicrystals by Network. With 12 votes.

2nd Place: Tricks of the Trade by Oblivimancer. With 8 Votes + a Tie breaker. I want to use some of these tricks.

3rd Place: Cities as Gods by dspeyer. With 8 votes.

Most Original: Endless Tower Discipline by Jurai.

Most Likely to See Play: New Uses for Skills by Jormengand

Best Use of Theme: Gang Feats by Somebodyelse27.

I find it interesting that none of the top 3 placed in the subcategories.

And a reminder that Beyond the Skies is nearing its end.

Network
2015-08-16, 02:06 AM
I find it interesting that none of the top 3 placed in the subcategories.
Cities as gods came close though.

Congratulations to the other participants. It was a fun contest.

And a reminder that Beyond the Skies is nearing its end.
I feel bad for voting on a contest's theme then and not taking part in it... Let's see if I can come up with something.

Network
2015-08-25, 11:31 PM
Zaydos, you seem to have written "spell" instead of "utterance" in Jurai's entry in the voting thread, and to have given a free vote to Jurai in the "best use of theme" category.

Zaydos
2015-08-25, 11:35 PM
Voting-Thread is up (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?436827-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-V-Voting-Thread)

For the next contest theme I am thinking Favorite Poems because... um... I don't know.

Zaydos, you seem to have written "spell" instead of "utterance" in Jurai's entry in the voting thread, and to have given a free vote to Jurai in the "best use of theme" category.

The latter would be because I am lazy and reuse old tables.

Jurai
2015-08-29, 08:09 PM
So, wait, I don't even merit a third place vote? Was it that bad?

Network
2015-08-29, 09:09 PM
So, wait, I don't even merit a third place vote? Was it that bad?
Guess he implicitely didn't feel the need to, since obviously the third vote would go to the last one.

I don't even think the 1st-2nd-3rd place ruling is adapted to a contest with 3 participants, and would encourage Zaydos to revise it somehow.

Jurai
2015-09-20, 11:18 PM
New theme idea: Dragon variations.

Zaydos
2015-09-20, 11:19 PM
And voting closed.

Jormengand and Starstrikes wins. Also winning most original.

Network and Space Truenames gets second place.

Jurai and EAE gets third and wins Best use of theme and Most likely to see play.

New contest: Power in rhyme, poetry time (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444046-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-VI-Power-in-rhyme-poetry-time&p=19847877#post19847877)

Jormengand
2015-09-21, 11:34 AM
You should go update the OP. :smalltongue:

Jurai
2015-09-21, 12:49 PM
When's this contest due? I'm about to write ANOTHER Martial Discipline, and this one is going to be ridiculous.

Zaydos
2015-09-21, 12:53 PM
October the 11th, so I can hopefully squeeze in a Fear or Horror one beginning the 12th and ending... sometime before Halloween.

1pwny
2015-09-21, 08:24 PM
Can I post my stuff before you put up your formatting post?

Zaydos
2015-09-21, 08:27 PM
Can I post my stuff before you put up your formatting post?

I always forget to post that don't I?

It's up now.

Jurai
2015-09-21, 08:38 PM
Nevermind the Martial Discipline. It'll happen, but maybe for a Homebrew Thread.

Amechra
2015-09-22, 12:00 AM
Quick question:

Is "I have to write a full poem in a complicated and somewhat obscure poetic form that I will incorporate somewhere in each component of the entry - for each part of the entry" a valid cohesive method?

Because if not, I'll just leave the feat I wrote around a terzanelle I wrote approximately 20 minutes before right here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19852819&postcount=3).

Zaydos
2015-09-22, 12:03 AM
Quick question:

Is "I have to write a full poem in a complicated and somewhat obscure poetic form that I will incorporate somewhere in each component of the entry - for each part of the entry" a valid cohesive method?

Yes, quite and very.

Vaynor
2015-09-22, 03:32 AM
Posted my entry. Song of the Open Road (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444046-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-VI-Power-in-rhyme-poetry-time&p=19853326#post19853326). It's not quite done yet, I'm still planning on doing more feats, some spells and alternate class features, and maybe an invocation or two, but there's enough there to start getting some feedback. Any thoughts/criticisms would be greatly appreciated.

Glimbur
2015-10-01, 08:26 PM
I made a thing. I have no idea if it's worth taking though; it's currently just a small numeric bonus a few times an adventure. Flexible but pretty small. Maybe it should be bigger? Maybe it gains more abilities as you level? Heal at a dramatic moment, +move speed, +something else? I'm not really sure.

Vaynor
2015-10-19, 06:14 PM
So, what's going on with this contest?

Zaydos
2015-10-19, 07:08 PM
Ended up freaking about bus ride and forgot I didn't close it. Which I will now do.

Edit: Voting is open (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?452162-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-VI-Voting-Thread&p=19970247#post19970247).

Zaydos
2015-11-13, 11:36 AM
Gonna give today and tomorrow for Vaynor and Amechra to vote and then I'll do the final tally.

Temotei
2015-11-25, 07:34 PM
Curious about the next theme. Poetry was excellent and it turned out some really good entries.

Jurai
2015-11-25, 11:23 PM
I couldn't do this theme. I loathe poetry creation.

Zaydos
2015-11-25, 11:26 PM
Anybody got suggestions for the next theme?

The Vagabond
2015-11-27, 01:58 PM
Chronology and screwing around with the action economy?

Shapeshifting?

Making the metaphysical/conceptual physical?

Jormengand
2015-12-12, 06:53 PM
We gonna have another one of these soon?

'Cause I like these.

Jurai
2015-12-13, 09:58 AM
Our entry should have something to do with baked goods.

Zaydos
2016-01-25, 01:24 PM
New Contest is up: 3-X-Ancillary-Contest-VII-Community-the-Many-as-One (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?476329-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-VII-Community-the-Many-as-One).

Come show us your brews.

Jormengand
2016-01-25, 01:36 PM
Ooh, shiny.

Jurai
2016-01-25, 01:51 PM
I'M BAAAACK! Working on an ex-hive mind psionic race for Pathfinder.

Lanth Sor
2016-01-27, 02:17 PM
I got a horrible idea for Forum Combat. Where you fight with Social Skill Checks.

Jormengand
2016-01-27, 02:23 PM
I got a horrible idea for Forum Combat. Where you fight with Social Skill Checks.

But I already made the elemental plane of silicon the internet! :smalltongue:

Jurai
2016-01-27, 05:42 PM
but i already made the elemental plane of silicon the internet! :smalltongue:

GASP! It's Al Gore!

Lanth Sor
2016-01-27, 06:51 PM
So I posted a monster. I may add a few feats but the base idea is there.

Jormengand
2016-01-29, 06:22 PM
Is "100 miracles" a bad spell component?

Lanth Sor
2016-01-29, 06:38 PM
Never!!!!!

Jormengand
2016-01-31, 05:39 PM
Added two more spells, this time a little less ludicrously high-level: dragon's roar and iconoclasm.

Jurai
2016-01-31, 05:42 PM
I lost my Internet connection, so I might need an extension.

Temotei
2016-01-31, 09:28 PM
I don't have Office on this computer, so I'm posting before I'm done. Feel free to critique as it comes. Thinking I'll come up with items and variant goblin races at least, and then work on other stuff if I can come up with it.

Jormengand
2016-02-01, 04:28 PM
Okay, so I have 13 spells so far - Apprentice's Storm, Army of Angels, Avatar of the Lost, Black Hole (Noone's), Blight of the Blighted, Burning Memories, Crazy Hand (Bugsby's), Divine Intervention, Dragon's Roar, Iconoclasm, Master Hand (Bugsby's), Perdition (Noone's), and Volcano. I reckon that's enough to ask for some critique...

Plzrate&comment?

sengmeng
2016-02-05, 08:35 PM
Well, I entered a single spell. It looks pretty small and modest next to the other entries, but I think it's unique, useful, and thematic. PEACHes welcome.

Jormengand
2016-02-06, 04:37 AM
Well, I entered a single spell. It looks pretty small and modest next to the other entries, but I think it's unique, useful, and thematic. PEACHes welcome.

I would suggest using the return key more. Also, how many of you are there in the swarm? How many dice is its swarm attack?

sengmeng
2016-02-06, 07:36 AM
I would suggest using the return key more. Also, how many of you are there in the swarm? How many dice is its swarm attack?

The d20 srd says that a swarm of Tiny nonflying creatures is three hundred individuals in a ten by ten space, and a swarm with hit dice of 16-20 deals 4d6, but if you get your caster level to 21 or higher, it increases to 5d6.

Edit: My entry has been streamlined, and the Swarm subtype description has been copypasted and spoilered.

Temotei
2016-02-10, 06:04 AM
I really don't think I'll be able to finish all I want to finish before the due date, but I think I can do an item or three and maybe some spells or feats or somesuch.

That said, if an extension (3-4 days) is possible, I may be able to get all of the stuff I want to finish out. If peeps don't want that though, it's okay--I'll just finish the mechanical bits and do the fluff in a separate thread later.

sengmeng
2016-02-10, 09:30 AM
I really don't think I'll be able to finish all I want to finish before the due date, but I think I can do an item or three and maybe some spells or feats or somesuch.

That said, if an extension (3-4 days) is possible, I may be able to get all of the stuff I want to finish out. If peeps don't want that though, it's okay--I'll just finish the mechanical bits and do the fluff in a separate thread later.

I don't mind 3-4 more days, but I probably won't change mine.

Jurai
2016-02-10, 12:22 PM
I have made my submission.

Zaydos
2016-02-10, 12:25 PM
Was going to try and have a quick (12-16) Love one this next week, but alright extensions for all. And in deference to the 14th being valentine's day the end will be the 15th at 23:59 EST.

sengmeng
2016-02-10, 12:52 PM
Was going to try and have a quick (12-16) Love one this next week, but alright extensions for all. And in deference to the 14th being valentine's day the end will be the 15th at 23:59 EST.

But that steps on the toes of Discount Chocolate Day, another important holiday for me. :smallbiggrin:

Jurai
2016-02-10, 12:57 PM
But that steps on the toes of Discount Chocolate Day, another important holiday for me. :smallbiggrin:

What is this Discount Chocolate Day of which you speak, and how easy is it to celebrate?

sengmeng
2016-02-10, 01:52 PM
What is this Discount Chocolate Day of which you speak, and how easy is it to celebrate?

February 15th is Discount Chocolate Day, and you celebrate it by going to the store, buying all the chocolate you can, and eating as much as your stomach will hold.

Temotei
2016-02-10, 03:27 PM
February 15th is Discount Chocolate Day, and you celebrate it by going to the store, buying all the chocolate you can, and eating as much as your stomach will hold.

Is feeling bad about how much chocolate you ate part of Discount Chocolate Day or is it a separate holiday afterward?

sengmeng
2016-02-10, 05:24 PM
Is feeling bad about how much chocolate you ate part of Discount Chocolate Day or is it a separate holiday afterward?

I think Regret Day actually falls on several separate occasions.

Temotei
2016-02-16, 12:50 AM
Am disappoint that I didn't get time to work on more. I have a bunch of fluff done and I was working on a magic item set, but oh well. At least I have something, I suppose. Hope racial substitution levels are okay.

Zaydos
2016-02-16, 01:09 AM
Voting Thread is up (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?478654-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-VII-Voting-Thread&p=20428475#post20428475)

Thinking Love, Emotion, Undeath, or New Life as the next theme. Anybody got a preference?

Temotei
2016-02-16, 02:27 AM
Voting Thread is up (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?478654-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-VII-Voting-Thread&p=20428475#post20428475)

Thinking Love, Emotion, Undeath, or New Life as the next theme. Anybody got a preference?

New Life sounds like a cool one.

sengmeng
2016-02-16, 09:42 AM

How about "Spring is in the Air," as I think different interpretations could cover all those bases except Undeath, and I sense that you wanted to do something based on where we are on the calendar.

Beelzebub1111
2016-02-16, 11:01 AM

I've got an interesting idea for undeath. Might also work for New Life.

sengmeng
2016-02-17, 12:42 PM
I've got an interesting idea for undeath. Might also work for New Life.

Same here. Despite my alternative suggestion, I went ahead and statted out a pretty decent entry for Undeath or New Life, and now I have to sit on it and wait for the theme to be announced. C'est la vie.

Temotei
2016-02-17, 02:10 PM
Haha, I just realized I'm missing the 17th level on my table for the substitution levels. Derp. At least it's in the text. I'll have to fix that right after voting is over.

sengmeng
2016-02-19, 03:23 PM
How interested would people be in a contest similar to this one, but with base classes and PrC's thrown in as well, that is always about creating villains?

Temotei
2016-02-19, 04:22 PM
How interested would people be in a contest similar to this one, but with base classes and PrC's thrown in as well, that is always about creating villains?

So sort of like the Villainous Competition but we make the stuff to make the villain rather than make a villain? Sounds like a decent concept.

Jormengand
2016-02-19, 04:33 PM
What I want to see is a homebrew character competition: You can use any homebrew from this site that was made before this date, and you have to create a fun, flavourful character along set lines. I don't want to chair it, though, because I want to enter it. :smalltongue:

sengmeng
2016-02-19, 05:18 PM
What I want to see is a homebrew character competition: You can use any homebrew from this site that was made before this date, and you have to create a fun, flavourful character along set lines. I don't want to chair it, though, because I want to enter it. :smalltongue:

The idea of trying to balance homebrew versus other homebrew sends shivers down my spine...
body achin' all the time... momma... ooooooooh... life had just begun...
Could be done though. I'd rather enter a villainous competition than chair it myself, honestly. Wanna trade chairmanships?

Jormengand
2016-02-19, 05:22 PM
The idea of trying to balance homebrew versus other homebrew sends shivers down my spine...
body achin' all the time... momma... ooooooooh... life had just begun...
Could be done though. I'd rather enter a villainous competition than chair it myself, honestly. Wanna trade chairmanships?

Sure. Remember that Power Is Only One CategoryTM, so interesting characters are likely to get better scores than cheese-fests.

sengmeng
2016-02-19, 05:29 PM
Sure. Remember that Power Is Only One CategoryTM, so interesting characters are likely to get better scores than cheese-fests.

That'd be ideal, but I don't want to judge it, I'd have a voting thread like this one and the Base Class Challenge. Got any theme ideas, for either one?

Jormengand
2016-02-19, 05:40 PM
That'd be ideal, but I don't want to judge it, I'd have a voting thread like this one and the Base Class Challenge. Got any theme ideas, for either one?

I think having judging like Iron Chief (or actually, like Villainous Competition) for the optimisation one and like Base Class Competition for the homebrewing one is probably a good idea. You can probably largely nick the villain competition openining post, actually!

For themes, how about...

Nature, fire, command, the sky, space, dragons, assassination, undead, rituals, the apocalypse (actually, anything that's been a base class contest, although all the responses to that would be the low-hanging fruit and you may want to ban them).

So for example maybe you say could make something that's dungeon themed, but ban the dungeon crawler, aberrationist, dungeoncrasher (should probably ban the original one too), corner dweller, ravensworn, architect, dungeon engineer, trapcaster, ruin delver and dungeon master. Especially the dungeon master.

sengmeng
2016-02-19, 06:14 PM
I did always think that Dungeons should have been theme I and Dragons theme II...

How about the name of the contest? Villainous Homebrew Thowdown and Iron Chef Homebrew Edition?

Jormengand
2016-02-19, 06:29 PM
I did always think that Dungeons should have been theme I and Dragons theme II...

How about the name of the contest? Villainous Homebrew Thowdown and Iron Chef Homebrew Edition?

The IC one should probably just be called Homebrew Chef, whereas the villain one should be something a bit more professional than that... Villain-Brew Competition? I'll work it out.

sengmeng
2016-02-19, 06:56 PM
The IC one should probably just be called Homebrew Chef, whereas the villain one should be something a bit more professional than that... Villain-Brew Competition? I'll work it out.

Are people going to need the original brewer's permission, and are we allowing original content for the contest, or is it all pre-existing hoomebrew? I was thinking that 90% of the entry should consist of pre-existing homebrew, with just a dash of custom stuff to tie it together where needed.

Jormengand
2016-02-19, 06:59 PM
Are people going to need the original brewer's permission, and are we allowing original content for the contest, or is it all pre-existing hoomebrew? I was thinking that 90% of the entry should consist of pre-existing homebrew, with just a dash of custom stuff to tie it together where needed.

It should be pre-existing, really, otherwise you can just make up abilities on the fly. Given that homebrew wouldn't be on here if it wasn't meant to be used, they won't need permission.

Temotei
2016-02-19, 08:52 PM

If original content is allowed, it should be something really small like a feat or relic or something, I think.

The safer option is just to use only pre-existing homebrew.

Jormengand
2016-02-20, 09:55 AM
I did a thing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?479105-Evil-Brew-Competition-Chat-Thread)! Come and play!

And someone make the homebrew chef competition, dammit. :smalltongue:

sengmeng
2016-02-21, 01:47 PM
I did a thing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?479105-Evil-Brew-Competition-Chat-Thread)! Come and play!

And someone make the homebrew chef competition, dammit. :smalltongue:

Your wish is granted! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?479219-Homebrew-Chef-Brew-me-a-Dungeoneer!)

Zaydos
2016-02-25, 06:21 PM
New Contest Thread (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?479726-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-VIII-Life-Springs-Eternal). Went with Life instead of New Life in particular, it's a little broader and you can still probably fit undeath in there.

Temotei
2016-02-27, 03:53 PM
Do the lights shed any light or are they just glowing dots?

Jormengand
2016-02-27, 03:55 PM
Also, you are aware that at least three people need to cast simultaneously for the lights to replicate?

dspeyer
2016-02-27, 09:15 PM
Also, you are aware that at least three people need to cast simultaneously for the lights to replicate?

Either that or have the ability to cast several 9th level spells in one round.

And I think you need 36 castings to produce an infinite amount of light.

Jormengand
2016-03-01, 06:15 PM
Another potential problem with Conway's Perpetuating Dancing Lights is that D&D is three-dimensional, which may get interesting fast.

Anyway, I've posted my super-long magic fix revolving around vivimancy. Any thoughts?

Draconium
2016-03-01, 11:10 PM
So... I made a thing. It's my first time making something for a contest, but the idea popped into my head, and it was just too good for me to pass it up... So... Yeah.

sengmeng
2016-03-02, 02:05 PM
I made a thing. It is not meant to commemorate Leo getting an Oscar; that's just a coincidence. The template has a +0 adjustment, but I'm not sure if that's quite balanced. There are pros and cons, so I just sort of called it balanced. PEACHes welcome, but especially on whether the ECL and CR need to change.

ShiningStarling
2016-03-04, 06:18 AM
So I started my entry... admittedly very tired, but I would appreciate thoughts on the spell :smallsmile:

Will post the template in a day or two, when I can see my books again.

Jormengand
2016-03-04, 10:37 AM
I like how you used my alternate rule for your spell. :smallbiggrin:

ShiningStarling
2016-03-04, 12:51 PM
I like how you used my alternate rule for your spell. :smallbiggrin:

I really liked your alternate rule, made a lot of things make more sense :smallsmile:

Like seriously, healing is conjuration? Really game? I mean I get the historic reason, doesn't mean it makes sense.

Edit: Anyway, I'm starting to think resisting this spell is too easy at the moment, relegating it to mid-strength buff status. Perhaps some steps could be taken to raise the DC? or give them a few less chances to resist? I'm not sure, I'll make the template and see where it goes from there.

Edit2: Template made, entry complete other than the certain tweaks to come when i can re-read, and consider any constructive criticism naturally, plus fluff, cause fluff is fun

Zaydos
2016-03-04, 02:30 PM
Like seriously, healing is conjuration? Really game? I mean I get the historic reason, doesn't mean it makes sense.

Historic reason? It was necromancy until 3e.

ShiningStarling
2016-03-04, 02:50 PM
Historic reason? It was necromancy until 3e.

I was told it was changed to Conjuration because WotC got paranoid about the people who said D&D players liked goat heads and pentagrams too much, so they thought healing shouldn't go with the death magic. This might be utterly wrong, I honestly don't know, but what can I say, the stuff you hear when you grow up with D&D (and yes I remember it being Necromancy, which is why the Conjuration thing didn't make sense to me).

Zaydos
2016-03-04, 03:57 PM
I missed the biggest wave of that scare, but even then Conjuration doesn't make sense. Evocation makes more sense (evocation is supposed to involve channeling of energy... as well as creation of something from nothing). Honestly I really suspect someone working on 3e really liked conjuration.

Temotei
2016-03-04, 09:35 PM
I missed the biggest wave of that scare, but even then Conjuration doesn't make sense. Evocation makes more sense (evocation is supposed to involve channeling of energy... as well as creation of something from nothing). Honestly I really suspect someone working on 3e really liked conjuration.

Vecna, maybe.

Beelzebub1111
2016-03-04, 10:43 PM
Vecna, maybe.

Wasn't Vecna merging with The Serpent in Die Vecna Die the reason given for all the rule changes from 2nd to 3rd edition?.

Well, I did the first part of mine. I'm not sure about the wording, though.

ShiningStarling
2016-03-05, 01:41 PM
Ok... I made a pass through my entry for clarity, ease of reading, and minor adjustments. I think it's more reasonable now, and barring any glaring oversights or sudden inspiration, I think I'm done, save the fluff. Anyone drop by the farmer's market for some PEACHes?

Jormengand
2016-05-17, 04:35 PM
So, uhm, has this died?

ShiningStarling
2016-05-18, 03:51 PM
I would say definitively negative hit points, how far is up in the air

Jormengand
2016-05-18, 03:55 PM
Bit ironic. You had to go die on the contest about life, didn't ya? :smalltongue:

sengmeng
2016-05-18, 05:53 PM
A forum search shows that Zaydos hasn't posted since mid March.

ShiningStarling
2016-06-01, 04:30 AM
If you lot are interested, I have started a new competition of similar scope to this, 3.x, no base classes, no huge PrCs (though small ones are allowed). Would love to have you all along :D

Contest Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?489915-Local-Speakeasy-Home-Brewing-3-X-Competition-I-To-The-Ruin-of-All&p=20842277#post20842277), chat thread Here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?489919-Local-Speakeasy-Competition-Chat-No-Reservations-necessary&p=20842312#post20842312)

Hope to see you there ^-^