PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Monsters that aren't monster races

bloodystone2
2015-02-19, 08:33 PM
I'm at a loss here. I'm looking for monsters that are truely monsters and not another sentient species. I want something that cannot be reasoned with but not exactly boss level stuff.

The reason why I'm looking for monsters like this because I have this bad habit of falling in love with monster species. Kobolds are my babies. Goblins are adorable pipsqueaks that I can't hurt. Even odd ones like scorpionfolk fascinate me and I can't hurt them.

So I'm looking for unique ones and I've come up with a few that I use but I want some more.

-Blink dogs
-Griffons
-Any dire animal
-Displacer beast
-Rust monster
-Mimics

Thanks for the help. So far we have:
Chokers
Demons
Devils
Daemons
Undead
Assassin Vines
Oozes
Tarrasques
Owlbears
Bears in general, who happen to take a lot of templates
Swarms
Hydras
Basilisks
Giant snakes
Monsterous vermin
Worms...?
Crabs with weak spots who happen to be big
Sqiuids
Chimeras
Aboleths
Barghest
Fomian
Beholders
Ettercaps
Destrachan (That sounds like an anime character, not gonna lie)
Darkweaver
Choker

And apparently I'm a filthy liar for
Mimics
Blink dogs

The Bandicoot
2015-02-19, 08:35 PM
From what I recall mimics are actually sapient and sentient and speak common.....

bloodystone2
2015-02-19, 08:38 PM
from what i recall mimics are actually sapient and sentient and speak common.....

This is the exact opposite of what i wanted D:>

Doctor Awkward
2015-02-19, 08:41 PM
Chokers?

Tarrasques?

Demons and Devils? (just because they can talk doesn't mean you can reason with them)

Assassin vines?

Oozes?

I mean, do they have to be magical beasts? or can they be aberrations or outsiders?

oldkingkoal
2015-02-19, 08:42 PM
Same thing with blink dogs. Their Int is 10, meaning a human level intelligence, and they have their own language. Not only that but they are considered "Usually lawful good".
Also, Respect. My kobold brother. lol

bloodystone2
2015-02-19, 08:44 PM
Chokers?

Tarrasques?

Demons and Devils? (just because they can talk doesn't mean you can reason with them)

Assassin vines?

Oozes?

I mean, do they have to be magical beasts? or can they be aberrations or outsiders?

Tarrasques: Maybe but only as a threat. Tarrasque design is just a DM cop out

Demons and devils: I like it. Also one I didn't think of before, undead.

Assassin vines: Possibility. I've never used one before.

Oozes: The last time I had an ooze, a player (who was playing a juv copper dragon) ate the thing so I completely forgot about it.

oldkingkoal
2015-02-19, 08:46 PM
EDIT:
Whoops, forgot about something, nevermind.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-19, 08:52 PM
Owlbears, Owlbears are nasty. Hydras are always deadly fun. Um Basilisks, Giant Snakes, Monstrous Vermin, Half Far-spawn Pseudonaturaul Horrid Dire Bear, Swarms, Zombies, Skeletons, Ashworms, That Damned Crab, Giant Squids, Chimeras, and thats all i got off the top of my head.

oldkingkoal
2015-02-19, 08:55 PM
Here's a few that come to mind.

Aboleths
Barghest
Fomian
Beholders
Ettercaps
Destrachan
Darkweaver

bloodystone2
2015-02-19, 08:57 PM
Here's a few that come to mind.

Aboleths
Barghest
Fomian
Beholders
Ettercaps
Destrachan
Darkweaver
Choker

I thought fomains and beholders (though they count for this one) are sapient?

oldkingkoal
2015-02-19, 08:59 PM
Ahh I misunderstood, I thought you were also looking for irredeemably evil creatures.
Though formians I added because they are more alien.

I remember once seeing an entry for monsters that are large insectile constructs but cant remember what they were

bloodystone2
2015-02-19, 09:01 PM
Ahh I misunderstood, I thought you were also looking for irredeemably evil creatures.

The problem with the word "irredeemable" is I'm a very lax DM and with enough bluff/diplomacy rolls, I normally let my players befriend anything. I had a Paladin befriend a pit fiend before. Now obviously there was a good reason for that. Law vs Chaos in my campaign is bigger than Good vs Evil so they joined forces to stop this crazy CN mage from doing shenanigans but the end result is the same. A paladin and pit fiend kicking chaotic dragon ass together.

oldkingkoal
2015-02-19, 09:09 PM
Ahhh, with that in mind most of everything I mentioned wouldn't apply then. Except for the Ettercap maybe.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-19, 09:10 PM
Ahhh, with that in mind most of everything I mentioned wouldn't apply then. Except for the Ettercap maybe.

Beholders might, they are arrogant jerk wads.

bloodystone2
2015-02-19, 09:16 PM
Beholders might, they are arrogant jerk wads.

Beholders would work because my players would be like "MUST KILL. MUST DEVOUR. Wait I need a reason to kill it... it's evil right? KILL KILL KILL"

johnbragg
2015-02-19, 09:19 PM
Swarms. Immune to weapon damage, vulnerable to normal fire. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/swarm.htm

For extra bonus fun, Swarms with the any number of templates that give fire resistance. Half-Fiendish Bat Swarm, with the option to form into a sort-of-humanoidish body and do damage with pseudo-claw and pseudo-bite attacks? http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/half-fiend

Or just slap some templates on things. Half-fiendish (+1) augmented (+1) earth elemental? Sure, why not. Air-Infused(+1) Polar Bear, flying at the party and breathing out a windstorm that knocks down anyone who fails a Reflex save.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-19, 09:24 PM
Swarms. Immune to weapon damage, vulnerable to normal fire. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/swarm.htm

For extra bonus fun, Swarms with the any number of templates that give fire resistance. Half-Fiendish Bat Swarm, with the option to form into a sort-of-humanoidish body and do damage with pseudo-claw and pseudo-bite attacks? http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/half-fiend

Or just slap some templates on things. Half-fiendish (+1) augmented (+1) earth elemental? Sure, why not. Air-Infused(+1) Polar Bear, flying at the party and breathing out a windstorm that knocks down anyone who fails a Reflex save.

FYI thats 3.0s Swarm Template. In 3.5 they take half from Piercing and Slashing, so you use a greatclub. Also they take 50% more damage from AoEs.

Doctor Awkward
2015-02-19, 10:23 PM
FYI thats 3.0s Swarm Template. In 3.5 they take half from Piercing and Slashing, so you use a greatclub. Also they take 50% more damage from AoEs.

It depends on the size of the creatures that make up the swarm.

Tiny creature swarms react to weapons as you describe.
Fine and Diminutive creature swarms are immune to all weapon damage, Monster Manual I, pg 316.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-19, 10:28 PM
It depends on the size of the creatures that make up the swarm.

Tiny creature swarms react to weapons as you describe.
Fine and Diminutive creature swarms are immune to all weapon damage, Monster Manual I, pg 316.

Aaaah, ok. Cuz i looked at the Bat Swarm and went "that is sooo not right", also doesnt help that ive never used a swarm smaller than Tiny.