PDA

View Full Version : name ideas for a verdant prince

sage20500
2015-02-19, 09:14 PM
So in a campaign that a friend of mine is running im playing an unseelie fey silver brow human. The DM likes to try and incorporate aspects of our characters back stories into the game, so he asked me to figure out who her parent that was fey should be so that they might end up in the story. After much research since her mother was human i found out that the only likely fey that fit story wise into being her father is a verdant prince that was visiting her city for business with another mortal, and decided to have a one night stand right after out of boredom. So my question is, what is an appropriate name for an ancient verdant prince?

Doctor Awkward
2015-02-19, 09:21 PM
So in a campaign that a friend of mine is running im playing an unseelie fey silver brow human. The DM likes to try and incorporate aspects of our characters back stories into the game, so he asked me to figure out who her parent that was fey should be so that they might end up in the story. After much research since her mother was human i found out that the only likely fey that fit story wise into being her father is a verdant prince that was visiting her city for business with another mortal, and decided to have a one night stand right after out of boredom. So my question is, what is an appropriate name for an ancient verdant prince?

Mordwyrr, the Holly Prince?

Mr.Kraken
2015-02-19, 09:22 PM
Cernunnos is the name of a celtic god, and is sometimes associated with fey. It's a name related to the celtic "horned god". I think it's a pretty good name for a Verdant Prince, especially when you know what it means.

Red Fel
2015-02-19, 09:27 PM
So my question is, what is an appropriate name for an ancient verdant prince?

Well, it depends on how sinister you want him to be. In my mind, a fey being that grows more attached to the concepts of nature it espouses, and less to the mortal races, tends to abandon its name and take on more of a title (see e.g. the Queen of Air and Darkness). If memory serves, Verdant Princes are NE, so sinister would be right up his alley, and having a title instead of a name adds the plot element of discovering his "real name" either as a bargaining chip or a means to redeem him.

In that vein, I'd go with something suitably nasty. The Prince of Leaves and Terror is nice, or Lord of the Grieving Woods. He Who Makes the Willow to Weep isn't too shabby, either. The Green in the Snake is a nice idea, or the Serpent in the Vines, as you like. Be as poetic as you like; fey are big on that.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-19, 09:32 PM
Lord of the Fell Reaches, Lord of the Screaming Marsh, Lord of the Silver Mire. Hell Lord of the (insert nature thing here) works fairly well as a basis.

Inevitability
2015-02-20, 09:59 AM
Lord of the Murky Forests, Lord of Thorns...

Eldan
2015-02-20, 11:03 AM
Douglas Pine. :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2015-02-20, 04:55 PM
Maybe pick a sinister sounding plant - Woundwort, Nightshade, etc.