PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder When it comes tot he FAQ/errata of same Abil mod bonus..

animewatcha
2015-02-20, 02:34 AM
I don't know how to work the FAQ search system thing for Paizo, but a while back they said you can't add multiple of the same stat mod onto a roll ( like int + int on damage roll ). My question in light of this comes to abilities like the monk ac bonus.

When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds his Wisdom bonus (if any) to his AC and his CMD. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC and CMD at 4th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every four monk levels thereafter, up to a maximum of +5 at 20th level.

These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears any armor, when he carries a shield, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.

The wis and level-based bonus to CMD is straight forward. Heck, with WIS bonus of 0, at 20th level, he effectively has full bab for CMD. Now, outside of armor, shield, and natural armor bonuses, any bonus to AC is supposed to be added to CMD. The monk ac bonus is untyped. Does the monk ac thing 'double-dip' for CMD? Making him gain a straight bonus as per the wording, as then another untyped bonus due to the 'source' being untyped bonus to ac? If not, would it be bad to allow it?

I guess my question mainly goes for the monk ability, but pathfinder is bound to have atleast one or two other abilities that have the same kind of 'wording'.

Segrain
2015-02-20, 02:53 AM
outside of armor, shield, and natural armor bonuses, any bonus to AC is supposed to be added to CMD.
Actually, the exact wording is different.

A creature can also add any circumstance, deflection, dodge, insight, luck, morale, profane, and sacred bonuses to AC to its CMD.
Since Monk's bonus to AC is neither of these, it cannot be added to CMD. Whether it is "supposed" to be, and whether it is "bad" or not to allow is another matter, though.

Spore
2015-02-20, 06:13 AM
I guess it's intentional because many people dipped Monk for Wis to AC/CMD back in the olden days (or in NWN 1/2 powergaming modules for that matter). I certainly wouldn't feel good if any character could dip into monk and reap superior benefits for that.

Yes, yes, I know the Monk desperately deserves a fix but this is NOT it. It just worsens the "dipping" power and doesn't really improve capabilities of the monk.

Psyren
2015-02-20, 10:12 AM
Monk AC is specifically added to CMD. This includes both the Wis bonus, and the additional bonuses from leveling.

It is only added to CMD once.