PDA

View Full Version : Bugger I died

deathwolf669
2015-02-20, 07:29 AM
Well looking to make a new 3rd level character but I cant find the page in the PHB with the info on how to make a high level character, is this somewhere in the DMG if so what page am I looking for as I cant see it in there either.

zeek0
2015-02-20, 07:58 AM
1) Make a first level character
2) Level him/her up twice
3) ??????
4) Profit.

HoarsHalberd
2015-02-20, 08:00 AM
No, there aren't any rules on it. You just create a level one character then add the effects of the levelling to it. The DM may choose to give you gold to buy equipment with, but this is DM fiat.

Gwendol
2015-02-20, 08:02 AM
Well looking to make a new 3rd level character but I cant find the page in the PHB with the info on how to make a high level character, is this somewhere in the DMG if so what page am I looking for as I cant see it in there either.

You are at the mercy of the DM (when it comes to starting equipment). Just make a level 1 character and level twice.

kaoskonfety
2015-02-20, 08:04 AM
1) Make a first level character
2) Level him/her up twice
3) ??????
4) Profit.

This.

The only addendum is the ?????? - what does your DM want you to do aside from "Be level 3" - do you get funds for equipment past starting gear rules, a bit of pocket money and a spyglass perhaps? I seem to recall some sort of wealth guidelines for higher level PC's but these are 100% DM and setting controlled.

In the absence of direct DM feedback just make the 3rd level PC with 1st level gear and ask about the money/magic loot thing when you get the chance.

deathwolf669
2015-02-20, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, will poke the DM later and see if I get any funding past what my guy starts with.

Giant2005
2015-02-20, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, will poke the DM later and see if I get any funding past what my guy starts with.

I wouldn't hold your breath...
Level 3 is basically the start of the game - it is only 900 xp in which is only a few minor kills. If you played those levels you would only likely earn 50g tops and that is only if your DM is of the more generous variety. 10-20g is more realistic but perhaps even less...

Shining Wrath
2015-02-20, 01:45 PM
You should probably ask your DM if you can have as much gold as your fellow players have earned thus far.

Taejang
2015-02-20, 01:55 PM
You should probably ask your DM if you can have as much gold as your fellow players have earned thus far.
This. There is a leveling table in the DMG for guidance on how much loot and how many magic items you can give this guy, but the obvious answer most DMs will use is to give the new character roughly equivalent equipment to what the other characters have.

But as others said, it is up to the DM to decide. As are most things. :smallwink:

Nod_Hero
2015-02-20, 03:41 PM
Our DM did this:
No prepackaged items from class or background. Use the Starting Wealth by Class chart on page 143 (PH), maximize the amount according to the class, then multiply it by starting level -1.
So for example a level 4 fighter (5d4 x 10) would start with 600 gp to buy armor, weapons, and equipment.

Dunno if that helps, but it seemed to work well for our characters.

Naanomi
2015-02-20, 09:27 PM
The risk is turning death into a cash cow... You die, party loots you, new guy comes with even more cash. Was more of a problem in 3.5/4 with magic item expectations, but something to consider still

xyianth
2015-02-20, 09:36 PM
The risk is turning death into a cash cow... You die, party loots you, new guy comes with even more cash. Was more of a problem in 3.5/4 with magic item expectations, but something to consider still

If my players started offing themselves for the cash, I'm fairly sure they would have a 100% chance of being ripped off/robbed in the night/etc... This is the same as the old turning ladders into 10 foot poles trick. You might get away with it once, but even generous DMs won't let happen much after that.

Envyus
2015-02-20, 09:48 PM
There is a starting equipment chart in the DMG. It says that Characters level 1 to 4 start with normal starting equipment. If you are starting at level 5 to 10 assuming a standard game you start with 500 gp plus 1d10 x 25 gp, plus normal starting equipment.

Naanomi
2015-02-20, 09:53 PM
If my players started offing themselves for the cash, I'm fairly sure they would have a 100% chance of being ripped off/robbed in the night/etc... This is the same as the old turning ladders into 10 foot poles trick. You might get away with it once, but even generous DMs won't let happen much after that.
Oh I don't think I ever have had players do it intentionally, but I did notice an upswing in low level magic items in several particularly deadly dungeons before... a grueling 50 floor 'arena/obstacle course demi-plane' once yielded more loot in replacement characters than they found in the dungeon itself. We all had a good laugh about it and adjusted loot for the next few adventures to compensate; but it is a phenomenon to keep in mind.

Tenmujiin
2015-02-21, 03:38 AM
My group (back in 3.5, we haven't had any deaths in 5e yet) ruled that you came back a level lower with no gear (assuming you rerolled and the group got to keep your gear). In 5e i'd remove the lost level but keep the no starting items (beyond clothes/weapon).

Mandragola
2015-02-21, 06:23 AM
There are actually some rules in the DMG. I think you get a bit more gold (something like 600) if you start at level 5 or 6. Nothing before that.