PDA

View Full Version : Spellcasting and other stuff about Driders

hymer
2015-02-20, 08:40 AM
The drider entry has a variant that allows them to have 7th level spellcasting and a better spellcasting stat than the basic drider. It doesn't mention changing the CR, which I can't help thinking would be in order. What do you guys think?
Oh, incidentally, it mentions Poison Spray as a Cleric cantrip, which it isn't. But I'm okay with that, it's thematically highly suitable, even if the drider is unlikely to ever cast it.

And a more general question: How would you feel about a drider that turned against Lolth, possibly even losing its evil alignment? Or do you see them as so maddened that there's basically no hope for them? Or what?

What are your comments on any or all of this?

Chronos
2015-02-20, 09:20 AM
By the fluff, they've already all done something to piss off Lloth, and this is their punishment. I expect that that's enough for most of them to learn their lesson... but there are bound to be a few that take it as justification to turn even further from her. Of course, the inevitable result of this would be every single Drow in the Underdark gunning for you at once.

Madfellow
2015-02-20, 09:25 AM
The drider entry has a variant that allows them to have 7th level spellcasting and a better spellcasting stat than the basic drider. It doesn't mention changing the CR, which I can't help thinking would be in order. What do you guys think?

And a more general question: How would you feel about a drider that turned against Lolth, possibly even losing its evil alignment? Or do you see them as so maddened that there's basically no hope for them? Or what?

Yeah, I think raising the CR by 1 would be appropriate.

And I do kinda like the idea of a good or neutral drider possibly becoming an ally to the party. Could be fun. :smallsmile:

Fwiffo86
2015-02-20, 09:28 AM
Oh, incidentally, it mentions Poison Spray as a Cleric cantrip, which it isn't. But I'm okay with that, it's thematically highly suitable, even if the drider is unlikely to ever cast it.

I agree thematically. I see no reason why one of the domain spells of Lloth wouldn't give poison spray.

Chronos
2015-02-20, 11:19 AM
I don't think I'd call it a domain spell, since no domain gives cantrips. I'd just say "Because drider", and leave it at that.

It does raise the question, though, considering the other question in the OP: If a drider cleric turns away from Lloth, and possibly becomes good, does that drider still retain the Poison Spray cantrip? Is that tied to the deity, or to the race?