PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Unusual resistances?

Hanuman
2015-02-20, 09:00 AM
Usually you see resistances to types of elemental energy damages, or damage reduction against physical damages.

I'm wondering how balanced the concept of being resistant to damage types like negative and positive, hellfire and force, things like that are, or what concepts already put these to use in source or what brew has experimented with these? :smallsmile:

3.5/P Ect

upho
2015-02-22, 04:28 PM
Usually you see resistances to types of elemental energy damages, or damage reduction against physical damages.

I'm wondering how balanced the concept of being resistant to damage types like negative and positive, hellfire and force, things like that are, or what concepts already put these to use in source or what brew has experimented with these? :smallsmile:

3.5/P EctJust straight off the top of my head, I know quite a few undead creatures in PF have "Channel resistance" (typically +4). I'd say a DM can (and should) throw in whichever type of resistance s/he can come up with, as long as it suits the flavor of the associated creature, story and setting and doesn't often invalidate a large chunk of the investments a PC has made for related mechanical benefits (items, spells, feats etc). Which also means I think you should, generally speaking, be very careful with stuff like hellfire and force resistance, since typically one of the more, or the most, important features of the related spells/powers are their ability to ignore resistances and many other protections. I believe the benefit a PC would gain from having a more unusual homebrew resistance can virtually only be to evaluated on a case-by-case basis, since it depends on the typical combat role and complementing abilities of the PC, and of course even more on what kind of challenges you plan to let the PC face.

Milo v3
2015-02-22, 08:29 PM
There is a creature or two in Sandstorm that have resistance to dessication damage.