PDA

View Full Version : Secrets of the Vardamir [IC]

CosmicOccurence
2015-02-20, 10:57 AM
As you advanced into the forest of Dínendal, the trees overhead began to slowly block out the sun, plunging the forest into a murky darkness. Mist played across the forest's floor, snaking its way around your ankles and through the trees. Sometimes you thought you could see a flicker of movement in the darkness in your peripheral vision, but it was gone when you turned to check. These were not normal woods.

Eventually however, you arrived at your location, built into a crevasse in the ground were a pair of giant limestone doors. A huge crack ran down the middle of one of the doors, leaving an opening large enough for humans to pass through, but the doors themselves were not open. It was a bit boomy in the ravine, whose walls were made of roughly carved out stone, and all of you could recognize one or two of the symbols that covered the door as something that appeared on one of your many relics.

It seemed that Janash had yet to arrive, as there was no sign of her in either the forest surrounding the entrance to the Jendrassi Ruins or in the ruins themselves.

You arrive in whatever order you post. Don't be afraid to roleplay with each other if you'd like, but its not required.

Also Mesi, I'd like a General Education check and an Occult or Symbology check.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-02-20, 10:06 PM
Azal finally stumbled out from the underbrush. She took a tentative step forward in awe of the massive doors. She found her legs as she dashed forward to examine the doors, completely missing the crack in the door. Oooooooh.

[roll0] General
[roll1] Occult/Symbology (its the same)

Llyarden
2015-02-21, 11:57 AM
Mirisa was the next to arrive, looking nervously over her shoulder all the while. She didn't like forests, not least because Anpera didn't really fit in them. Especially with the spookiness going on, the powerful presence of the Skarmory would have been a comfort, but it was one she had to do without. Not that it was the first time she'd had to cope with that sort of thing, but nonetheless it was somewhat disappointing.

She was quite relieved when she emerged from the forest, and paused for a second in some awe, craning her neck upwards to look at the door before advancing towards the gap. There was someone else there, who had probably checked there were no Pokemon likely to jump out at them already, but Mirisa hadn't made a living like this by trusting other people to be competent. She pulled what looked like a palm-sized pebble from a pocket of her clothes and passed her hand over it, causing the runes to blaze to life. Stepping up to the crack in the door, she shone the flashlight into the darkness; other hand gently grasped around the handle of the thin blade that was slung over her back.

Arcran
2015-02-21, 12:23 PM
Ulric finally makes his way out of the forest, Flo breathing somewhat heavily from the effort of carrying him through the forest. Ulric keeps looking from side to side throughout the whole trip, doing his best to ensure that whatever shapes there were in the sides of his vision didn't actually pose any threat.

As soon as the duo exits the woods Ulric slides off the neck of the Meganium, squinting towards the door as he attempts to make out the shapes. It seemed they had just arrived as well, judging by the lack of a camp. While Ulric assumed they were here for the same reason as he was, he'd learned long ago to never assume anybody was on his side. Carthak had drilled that lesson into him.

"Be ready Flo," the mercenary states, briefly checking to ensure Hari's Pokeball was still at his belt before striding towards the others, one hand causally resting over his shoulder on the hilt of his massive sword.

CosmicOccurence
2015-02-21, 03:42 PM
Azal finally stumbled out from the underbrush. She took a tentative step forward in awe of the massive doors. She found her legs as she dashed forward to examine the doors, completely missing the crack in the door. Oooooooh.

[roll0] General
[roll1] Occult/Symbology (its the same)

The runes were similar to others that you'd seen on ruins in the entryways to other ruins that you'd seen, with runes that Janash theorized were somehow inherently protective in her book On Protective Runes of the Vardamir Empire. You hear the approach of two other individuals, although whether or not you actually pay any attention to that aural stimuli is another story entirely.

Mirisa was the next to arrive, looking nervously over her shoulder all the while. She didn't like forests, not least because Anpera didn't really fit in them. Especially with the spookiness going on, the powerful presence of the Skarmory would have been a comfort, but it was one she had to do without. Not that it was the first time she'd had to cope with that sort of thing, but nonetheless it was somewhat disappointing.

She was quite relieved when she emerged from the forest, and paused for a second in some awe, craning her neck upwards to look at the door before advancing towards the gap. There was someone else there, who had probably checked there were no Pokemon likely to jump out at them already, but Mirisa hadn't made a living like this by trusting other people to be competent. She pulled what looked like a palm-sized pebble from a pocket of her clothes and passed her hand over it, causing the runes to blaze to life. Stepping up to the crack in the door, she shone the flashlight into the darkness; other hand gently grasped around the handle of the thin blade that was slung over her back.

The light that you shine into the crack in the giant doors shows you steps descending into the darkness, but there's nothing lurking on the stairs that you can see, just crumbling limestone steps leading down into the darkness. Behind you the sound of another individual approaching, and the sound of footsteps echoed across the crevasse.

Llyarden
2015-02-21, 03:50 PM
Mirisa turned, starting to take her hand away from the hilt of her own blade, but then returned to gently holding the hilt as she saw the newcomer was in a similar posture. "I hope you aren't just here to take in the scenery?" she asked. With her other hand, she stowed the flashlight in a pocket of her clothes and let her other hand drift down to her waist where Anpera's ball was secured. Well, it was only fair, since the newcomer already had his Pokemon out.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-02-21, 03:53 PM
Interesting but ultimately repetitive. No need to tread over Janash's tracks. Azal stands, brushing the dust off her knees and skirt. She stretches and yawns as she turns around, sitting down with a muffled plop. I wonder when Janash- Azal's train of thought is interrupted as she spotted the hulking figure in front her, caressing the pommel of a giant sword. Hi! I'm Azal. Your another from the Circle yes? She seems to have not noticed the individual to her immediate left.

Arcran
2015-02-21, 03:58 PM
"Something like that," Ulric says in a gravely voice, loosening his grasp on the blade somewhat but not entirely releasing it.

"You're both here for Jansh's job, correct?" the mercenary states, taking a half step to put himself slightly more between the other armed Trainer and Flo. "Name's Ulric," he says, offering his left hand towards the excitable girl while keeping a watchful gaze on the other.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-02-21, 04:05 PM
Azal grabs Ulric's hand though she uses it to lift her self up. Both? I thought I put Reginald back in his apricorn... Azal twists around, looking for this Reginald before she spots Mirisia. OH! Hi! Sorry, I didn't see you either. She beams a bright smile at Mirisia and Ulric before nodding emphatically. Yup. I've read up a lot about Janash and her discoveries. I'm quite envious. I guess I'm here to ride her skirt tail, te-he!

Llyarden
2015-02-21, 05:54 PM
Mirisa had started to pull her blade a little further out of its sheath but relaxed somewhat when the big man mentioned Janash. And then frowned as the other trainer spoke. "You didn't see the bright glowing light?" she asked, letting her sabre slide back into its sheath as she fished the flashlight back out again and passed her hand over it again, letting it dim down until it was nothing more than an engraved stone. The perceptive might have noticed a couple of runes traced on the blade for the brief moment it was exposed. "Mirisa," she added, reaching over (and up) - taking her hand off her sabre entirely - to shake Ulric's unoffered hand.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-02-21, 06:01 PM
Azal tilts her head quizzically till she spotted the slowly dimming stone. She blushed and looked away. Ya. I'm afraid I'm quite easily distracted. Give me something old and mysterious, and I'll forget I need to sleep and eat occasionally. Also why I never travel alone. Speaking of. Did either of you come with Janash? Or saw her on your way here?

Arcran
2015-02-21, 11:00 PM
Ulric looks at Azal with no small degree of confusion; usually those that were inattentive, especially around old ruins, ended up dead. Either she was possessed of an abnormal amount of luck or had some truly terrifying Pokemon by her side.

"Didn't even see you two up until right now," Urlic states, dropping his hand from the pommel of his sword. "Why wouldn't she be here yet?"

Llyarden
2015-02-22, 06:16 AM
Mirisa nodded. "I didn't see anyone either. But there could be any number of reasons why she didn't get here. Maybe she forgot, or got lost, or whatever's in that forest took a dislike to her." She paused for a moment. "I wasn't the only one who felt that, right? Coming through the forest?"

MesiDoomstalker
2015-02-22, 08:12 AM
Oh pshh! Thats just your nerves. The Unknown all ways give you the willies. I think we just beat her here by accident. We are early after all. Azal waved her hand dismissively towards Mirisia's concerns.

Arcran
2015-02-22, 08:52 AM
Ulric was about to speak when Azal replies, drawing another surprised look from Ulric. How in the world was she still alive?

"There's certainly something there," Ulric states, turning to focus on Mirisa. "And whatever it is, it didn't want us there. It didn't actually attempt anything, but if it decided to do something about Janash, well, our employer might not be making it here any time soon."

CosmicOccurence
2015-02-22, 09:52 PM
Hmph. A voice from somewhere behind you suddenly cut through the discussion. I've been wandering this forest for years, and I haven't kicked the bucket yet. Those creatures have figured out by now that attacking me isn't a smart idea. As you turned to see where the voice was coming from, you saw the woman who must be Janash. She appeared to have just dismounted from her Dragonite, which casually flicked its tail against the ground. Janash herself wore thick pants made for the wilds with a loose fitting shirt and a large pack on her back. Her hair was pulled up in a bun, and grey was beginning to invade the brown of her hair. Crows feet had begun to form at the corners of her eyes, and the beginning of wrinkles played across her face. She appeared to be somewhere over fifty, although pinpointing a more exact age would be difficult.

Well, I suppose I should be happy that anybody showed up, but I did hope for more than three people. Thank you for coming, and I'm happy that you've decided to accept this job. My name's Janash, and I'll be your employer for the foreseeable future.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-02-23, 12:44 AM
Azal's already cheerful face light up with glee. She whipped around as what could be modestly called her idol now stood before her. HelloJanashI'mAzal I'msoglad tomeetyou! Her mouth spoke faster than seemingly possible, her words mashing together. Ijumpedat thechanceto workwithyou! I'vereadallyourbookssee? Azal reached into her satchel, retrieving book after book baring Janash as the author. She clearly done her research. She looked on to her idol in hope of approval.

Arcran
2015-02-23, 03:02 PM
The Dragonite warrants a slight eyebrow raise from Ulric; a Pokemon like that wasn't exactly easy to come by and even more difficult to effectively use.

"Urlic," the large man says flatly, waiting to offer a hand until the smaller woman was done apparently having an anxiety attack.

CosmicOccurence
2015-02-24, 08:23 PM
Ah Janash said as she looked at Azal. Well I'm glad to see that somebody reads m work. Sometimes I think that everything scholars do is lost. I'm glad to see that I have some educated trainers for this job; it will make things much, much easier.

She turned her attention to Ulric, her eyes passing over him swiftly in an appraising manner. Welcome aboard Ulric. Some muscle will never go astray, especially on a trip like this one is set out to be. Her eyes flitted to Mirisia. And your name is? she inquired.

Llyarden
2015-02-25, 06:35 AM
"Mirisa," Mirisa replied simply. She raised an eyebrow at Janash's comment that educated trainers made everything easier. It might very well be easier, but not when said 'educated trainers' get lost or attacked at every opportunity. Unless her Pokemon are smarter than she is, this is going to be a long trip.

CosmicOccurence
2015-02-26, 08:31 PM
Wonderful. Thank you again for coming, and despite my earlier statements, I'm happy that I got anybody to take this job. Level V work tends to be ... notoriously difficult to find workers for. The job that I've hired you for will be dangerous, but you'll be compensated more than fairly for it. Of course, I'll take it for granted that I have your confidentiality in this matter, as the ruins that I've located are rather sensitive in nature. While a few others have found the ruins and died in the attempt to delve it, there's no sense in spreading the word about it until I've gotten all the information that I want from it. Janash brushed a stray hair back and slipped a roll of paper from one of the bags at her belt.

You will be travelling to the ruined city of Ishweil, which was the capital of the Vardamir Empire. It was home to the most powerful symbol magic in the history of Aatos. I recently discovered the city, and it seems as though a building known as The Forge, the location where many relics were created. The building also housed a school of magic where Runic Magic was taught and practiced. There is no doubt to be a library here, and I'm interested in the retrieval of documents from the library.

Your official contract is for the safe retrieval of a document known as the Journal of Janza the Scion. I will pay 10,000 Gold up front an another 15,000 upon successful retrieval of the document brought to me. Any other documents of particular significance will be rewarded with an additional 5,000 gold. I'll also pay 500 Gold for rubbings of any etchings or important tableau's you find in the city or ruins. She hands each of you a bag of holding. You can store any documents in these Infinite Bags, and there are also rubbing charcoal and parchment inside. I'll also give you a map that will take you to Ishweil, about two days travel toward the sea. Any objections to the job? She smiled, knowing that the kind of money she was offering wasn't something that most people could dream of refusing.

DC 15 Symbology check to know the name Janza the Scion

Arcran
2015-02-27, 11:31 AM
Ulric lets out a low whistle as their employer describes the job, a small spark of hope appearing in his heart. The capitol of the Vardamir? The capitol would have to be possessed of the greatest artifacts they had created, right? Maybe, just maybe there would be something that could save Hari.

Outwardly, of course, Ulric's expression hardly changes besides an obvious lighting up of his eyes. "It's not smart to pay dead men up front," Urlic says with a bit of a smirk, marveling at the Infinite Bag.

"Not that I object, of course. Your generosity is much appreciated," Ulric quickly adds, acknowledging Janash with a quick nod of his head. "Do you have any kind of information that will keep us from ending up like the other explorers?" Ulric asks, absent-mindededly returning Flo to her Pokeball.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-02-27, 03:59 PM
My Symbology is slightly different depending if we update or not (current vote is yes, which I think leaves just CO to Ya/Nay), so I'll roll both ways to be safe.
1.04 roll [roll0]
1.05 roll [roll1]

Unrelated: would Tyrantrum (Power 11/ Mountable 2) be able to handle 3 riders? Its a Heavy Load of 250-375 lbs. It probably depends how much of a lard butt Ulric is

Azal had already pulled out her personal map, comparing it to the map Janash gave them and studying the route she outlined. She paused, blinking a few times, looking up from the parchments. So... your not joining us? I suppose with the apparent danger, and the high rank job request, you've already deemed it too dangerous for yourself. Azal is visibly dejected. Have you scouted the city yet are we entering blind?

CosmicOccurence
2015-02-27, 04:55 PM
Unfortunately I don't have any information for you. I sent in my two usual delvers, but they didn't return. That's when I sent a missive out to the Conclave. The money is not to those who are dead, but to buy your silence while you're alive. I won't be going because I have a few delicate experiments that I can't leave alone, and I don't trust others to look after them. Its enough of a risk for me to come here now.

All I can really tell you about Isweil is that it was destroyed and wiped from the maps during the Purge of the Vardamir. I discovered it by accident and, upon sensing exactly how much magic was emanating from the place, I sent for my regulars. All I can tell you is that the magic that I've sensed from there is more powerful than four of what we found in these ruins. While I'd like to keep any relics that you find, I'm more concerned with the documents in the library. The relics are yours, a way to sweeten the deal.

@Mesi
Janza the Scion is a name that you recognize as appearing in several ancient manuscripts as the originator of relic magic. Not much is known about him other than that he would eventually become a psuedo-religious figure and first emperor of the Vardamir.

Arcran
2015-03-01, 12:42 PM
Ulric gives a short chuckle at the lack of information, shaking his head. "I suppose that would make things too easy, wouldn't it?"

The giant warrior stands stoically for a second, already knowing that he would be a fool to take the job. At the worst he'd die which, frankly, wasn't a huge concern. At best he'd find a way to keep Hari alive for a few more years, especially among the wealth of artifacts that were likely to be down among the ruins.

"I'm in," the mercenary states, leaning back against Flo's side. If he was able to he'd try to talk to Janash in private before the group left which just might give him a place to start when it came to finding something to save Hari.

Ulric is 247 pounds without gear. Tyrantum is definitely not carrying me. :smalltongue:

MesiDoomstalker
2015-03-01, 10:21 PM
Well, no point in waiting! Do you two have a fast pokemon to ride? I'll admit I'm not the fastest on foot, and I do not want to walk all the way there. Azal grabbed an apricorn from beneath the various folds of clothing, releasing the large Tyrantrum. Though, he's never had to carry more than me. Don't know how well he'd hold up for long distances with more passengers. Especially you, big guy. Poking a finger on Ulric's chest.

Llyarden
2015-03-02, 05:05 AM
Mirisa pulled one of the many Pokeballs she had strapped across her body from its bandolier and twisted it, releasing an exceedingly large Skarmory that looked around at its current situation and then across at the Tyrantrum, seemingly unused to seeing other Pokemon that were as big as it was. "Anpera's fast, but I'm not sure how well she can carry multiple people," Mirisa said.

Anpera only has Power 7, and unfortunately this isn't D&D where your size affects your carrying capacity. Which is a little bit silly, but never mind. So yeah; even just carrying Mirisa puts her into her Heavy Lifting.

Arcran
2015-03-02, 12:00 PM
"I have my own ride," Ulric mutters, lifting an apricorn with a not-insubstantial amount of faded, blue paint sloppily applied to it. Without a word he returns Flo, giving the Meganium a slight nod as he does so.

"If we want to get there quickly we should fly. Much faster that way," the warrior states, looking at the other two. "I would rather not waste time."

CosmicOccurence
2015-03-02, 05:42 PM
Wonderful. I'll leave the rest to you Janash interjected. You can bring the documents to my home and study, which is marked on the map I lent you. Good luck you three, and I look forwards to your results. She remounted her Dragonite and took to the skies, flying off in the direction opposite of where you would soon be headed.

Arcran
2015-03-02, 05:58 PM
"Wait," Ulric mutters, watching as Janash vanishes into the distance.

"Damn it," he adds, spiking the blue apricorn to release a massive Mantine. As soon as the Pokemon appears it does a quick flip before floating in the air at Ulric eye level.

"No sense in wasting any time," the giant of a man states, pulling himself onto the Mantine's back effortlessly, the giant Water-type buckling slightly under the weight. "Try to keep up," he adds, taking off into the sky in the opposite direction as Janash.

10 Sky. It has Agility Training applied as a [Training], so 11 Overland. If I can use it as an [Orders] as well when I fly I'll have 12.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-03-02, 10:04 PM
Azal bawked at the gigantic Skarmory. Amazing! I've never seen one so big before! How did you do it? Some forgotten Symbol Magic? Or is it a abnormality? Special food? How much does he weigh? How much food does he eat? I'm sorry for the questions but I must know! Azal's over-interest breaks for a moment, eyeing up the massive bird and her 2 new compatriats. Have you tested how much weight he can keep aloft? I have a feeling he'd make a suitable transportation for the 3 of us.

Llyarden
2015-03-03, 08:54 AM
The Skarmory let out a slightly disapproving squawk. "She," Mirisa corrected, apparently amused by Azal's barrage of questions. "And honestly I've no idea. She's Warbred; it's not like they give away their secrets." She held a hand up to her face to shield herself from the rush of air as the large man called out his Mantine and sped off. "'Try to keep up.' Honestly." Scrambling up onto Anpera, she looked back down to Azal. "Coming?"

Anpera has Sky 13. If she takes penalties from heavy weight because of Mirisa's and Azal's combined weight, that goes down to 12.

And technically I can actually fail the roll to mount Anpera now, but I'm not sure if I need to make the roll given that we have the luxury of time.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-03-03, 06:57 PM
Oh, yes, of course. Azal clambered up the bird slowly, almost falling off once she was up there. Onwards! Reginald, you get to take a break this time. The beast nodded silently, a look of worry in its eyes as it returned to its apricorn.

CosmicOccurence
2015-03-04, 06:33 PM
You rise above the tree level and begin to make your way towards the ocean. The forest looks much less intimidating from above, as it appears just as any other forest might be, although there are few, if any, breaks for clearings in the sea of leaves and branches. About three hours into your first day's flight, you notice a rustling in the trees and three Pidgeot rise out of the canopy and fly towards you, their voices screaming a challenge to those who have invaded their airspace.

This fight shouldn't be terribly difficult, so don't worry too much about wasting resources (although blow as much daily stuff as you want, as it'll be your only encounter today). This is mostly for me to get a handle on some mechanics and getting used to hos this group will be fighting, albeit this is in the air. For this encounter treat it as a 2d fight. For more important things we can go into actual 3d but its not worth the extra work atm.

Here is the Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x3W44NZ5w-tX2JhBM5ZKToxG0SgBJnJcr1TwyEkZwlo/edit#gid=0) that we will be using throughout the game. It is editable, so please move your own markers. Enemies will always be highlighted red. PCs and Mons are Green, and Allies/Neutrals will be Yellow or something.

For battles, always let me know you and your active mon's initiative and current hp. I'd also like you to note any bonuses to evasion/natural combat boosts/initiative boosts/other things that aren't reflected in your combat stats. (IE, things like your trained stats for the day, a static ability that adds to evasion, etc). Also any DR you might have. Additionally, I'll need to know which mons generally have which training effects each day if applicable.

For attacks just note where your bonuses other than move and atk come from (+5 from x feature, +15 from x item, etc). When you change CS in battle let me know how many you changed and what the new number currently is. Please do the same if an enemy lowers your combat stages.

The damage I give you is before defenses, DR, weakness/resistance, and other effects.

Let's see how it goes! Don't waste your pokeballs on these guys.

Initiative 25+ mons and trainers may take their actions now.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-03-04, 07:02 PM
Oh bother... These pesky birds will not leave us alone. I can handle this, do not worry Mirisia. Azal started digging around her pack, eventually pulling out a blue jagged shard, that seems to be a bit of broken clay and a tad bit of charcoal. She quickly wrote a small symbol on the shard which began to glow with a pale blue iridescence. This should do nicely. Tossing the glowing shard into the air behind them, exploding into a vibrant spectrum of blue. Bits of the shard, still charged with energy arcs through the air and rocketing towards the Pidgeots. The bits rained down like rain upon the birds, exploding again upon contact with birds, covering them in blue, chilling iridescence energy.

Azal's Speed is 25, Init is 35 due to Quick Claw
Passive Speed Evasion is 7 (5 due to speed, 2 due to Heavy Shield, they fixed that in 1.05)
Passive DR is 5
Using Fistful of Force, destroying a Blue Shard to deal Ice Damage. Note I can use my Special Attack (5) or my Occult Rank x3 (24, due to Master and Virtuoso)
[roll]1d20[/roll AC 2 Special Ice, Blast 3, Smite (deals Special Attack as damage even on a miss)
[roll0]

CosmicOccurence
2015-03-04, 07:21 PM
As the three Pidgeot fall to the rain of ice, five more of the birds rise out of the forest and begin charging upwards toward you. The flock had been angered.

Map updated, those of you above 25 initiative can still go, but I'm saying that we're still on the same 'round'

Arcran
2015-03-04, 07:39 PM
Ulric's eyes narrow under his helmet as the birds rise out of the canopy, their screeches causing a small smirk to cross the face of the mercenary. Ruins and relics weren't exactly his expertise, but combat? That would always be an area where he excelled.

Of course, the original birds are completely destroyed by a sudden blast of ice, causing Ulric to turn back in shock, looking at the two others with some begrudging respect. Which one had managed to tear through the flock like that?

The renewed squawking leaves Ulric with little time to actually worry about that though.

"Tax, blast them out of the air!" the mercenary cries, leaning on the Mantine to tell it to fly forward, taking a mighty slash with his sword at the Pidgeot as he just barely comes into range of the bird, his blood rising rapidly as combat begins.

Ulric: 141/141 HP, 5 Defense, 5 Special Defense, 24 Speed
10 DR, +1 Speed CS, +2 Attack CS

Tax: 117/117 HP, 7 Defense, 12 Special Defense, 36 Speed, 40 Initiative
Brutal Training, Agility Training, +1 Speed CS, +2 Special Attack CS

Ulric uses Brutal Training as a Swift Action! Priority (Limited). Commander's Voice is what allows this.

Tax Shifts to N9 (Tax's top left corner is in N9) and uses Ice Beam on P5!

AC: 2 [roll0] Freeze on 15+, Crit on 18+
Damage: [roll1] (2d10+10 + 31*1.4 (43))
I am bad at math! I only added my Special Attack; this should be 62 damage. Sorry!

Ulric should be adjacent to P4 now.

Ulric uses Push it to the Limit (Free Action)! Ulric gains one Injury. Ulric gains 14 Temporary HP, assuming attack hits.

Ulric uses Rage as a Weapon Attack!

AC: 3 [roll2] Crit on 17+
Damage: [roll3] (1d8+6 + 25*1.4 (35) + 14 (Push it to the Limit + Lessons in Pain & Rage)
This ignores 6 DR, if the Pidgeot have any. Ulric is Enraged.

End Results:
Ulric: 127/141 HP, 5 Defense, 5 Special Defense, 24 Speed
10 DR, +1 Speed CS, +2 Attack CS, 14 Temporary HP, 1 Injury

Rage missed, so Push it to the Limit does not trigger.

10 DR, +1 Speed CS, +2 Attack CS, Enraged

Also, as a note: If I'm hit and the attack is a Critical Hit, let me know! I have stuff that Triggers off that.

Llyarden
2015-03-05, 06:20 AM
""Hmm," Mirisa muttered to herself in some surprise as a blast of ice rocketed from the researcher to take out some of the Pidgeots. Azal might have told her not to worry, but neither she nor her Pokemon had any intention of just sitting back. ""Anpera, go for that one!" The Skarmory gave a cry of acknowledgement and swooped towards the nearest Pidgeot, as Mirisa leant precariously from her position to bring her sabre down twice on the bird.

Mirisa's Initiative is 30; Anpera's is only 20 so I haven't included her attack yet.

Shift Action: Move (using Anpera's movement speed) towards the closest Pidgeot (P2).
Standard Action: Double Swipe (AC2, crit 17+ from Legendary Whetstone): [roll0] [roll1]
If one hits, Damage: [roll2]
If both hit, Damage: [roll3]
Crit Damage 1 if applicable: [roll4]
Crit Damage 2 if applicable: [roll5]

Mirisa: HP 114/114, Def 11, SpDef 11, Spd 30
Physical Evasion 2, Special Evasion 2, Speed Evasion 6
All attacks against Mirisa require an attack check even if they wouldn't normally.
If someone misses Mirisa, she gets an attack of opportunity.
Whenever someone misses Mirisa, she can Shift 1 square and increase her evasion by 1.

Anpera: HP 120/120, Def 27, SpDef 20, Spd 20
Physical Evasion 6, Special Evasion 5 Speed Evasion 5 (+1 from Inspired Training)
Whenever someone misses Anpera, she can Shift 1 square and increase her evasion by 1.

CosmicOccurence
2015-03-05, 05:48 PM
The Mantine's icy beam fells P5, and the bird fell to the super effective attack. The bird in front of the beserker managed to buffet its wings just enough to maneuver out of the way of the man's swing however. Mirisa's twin strikes sliced into the bird, but, unlike the two previous attacks, it had no inherent super effective properties and failed to fell the bird in front of her, though it did look worse for wear.

The birds begin their attack. P4 responds angrily to the Matine in front of it and strikes at the water type with its wings. The strikes connect, dealing 44 physical flying damage. P3 swoops up in the air, flying high above you and preparing to strike upon swooping down, the wings cast a shadow on the battle, as it was high above your position. P1 and P2 launch attacks against Azal and Mirisa, seeking revenge on the humans who had already launched attacks. Both strike with their wings, dealigng Azal 44 physical flying damage and Mirisa 48 physical flying damage. The birds ruffle their feathers, preparing for what would seem like an extremely speedy second attack before most of you could respond.

Anpera can go, but don't start the next round, as they have activated rocket and will be going first next round.

Remember all damage is before defenses, resistances, etc!

Oh, don't worry about rider mechanics ATM. You won't fall out of your saddle in this fight!

Llyarden
2015-03-05, 06:11 PM
Anpera gave a caw of alarm at the attacks on her riders before tucking in her wings and swooping between the two Pidgeots, sharp wings following up on her Trainer's attack.

Anpera's Standard Action: Steel Wing @ P2 (AC3, raises own defence 15+): [roll0]
Damage (Steel Physical): [roll1]

Anpera ends up at the edge of the map (sorry!) Her movement does not provoke.

Mirisa: HP 77/114, Def 11, SpDef 11, Spd 30
Physical Evasion 2, Special Evasion 2, Speed Evasion 6
All attacks against Mirisa require an attack check even if they wouldn't normally.
Whenever someone misses Mirisa, she can Shift 1 square and increase her evasion by 1.

Anpera: HP 120/120, Def 27, SpDef 20, Spd 20
Physical Evasion 6, Special Evasion 5 Speed Evasion 5 (+1 from Inspired Training)
Whenever someone misses Anpera, she can Shift 1 square and increase her evasion by 1.

CosmicOccurence
2015-03-05, 06:48 PM
The bird gracefully corkscrews out of the way from Anapera's attack, ducking under the blow and swooping up from below, striking at the bird from below, but the Skarmory deflects the attacks with one of its steel claws. The other Pidgeot backs away and, wings glowing with a red heat, sends a blast of superheated wind at you all, which scorches your skin dealing 36 special fire damage to Anapera, Mirisa, and Azal.

The other two birds strike at the other half of the team. One of the pidgeots attempts to strike Tax again with its wings, but the sky ray gracefully rose above the strike. The other bird dove from the sky at Ulric, but it misjudged the distance badly and ended up zooming past the Mantine without so much as grazing the hulking trainer on its back.

Priority and Interrupt moves cannot be activated in response to Heat Wave.

Everyone may take their turn.

Arcran
2015-03-05, 07:12 PM
Ulric lets out a roar as the flies by, runes glowing menacingly on his blade.

"Tax! Gale Slash!" the mercenary shouts, swinging his sword towards one Pidgeot then whipping it back across his body, watching as blasts of energy fly towards both of the birds even as a powerful blast of air flies forth from Tax, intent on cutting one of the birds down.

Tax: 80/117 HP, 7 Defense, 12 Special Defense, 36 Speed, 40 Initiative

Ulric uses Brutal Training as a Swift Action! Priority (Limited). Commander's Voice is what allows this.

Tax does not Shift. Tax uses Gale Slash on P4!

AC 2: [roll0] Flinch on 11+, Critical on 17+
Damage: [roll1]
Critical: [roll2]

P4 is Vulnerable.

Ulric triggers his Rune Sword! Weapon Attacks now have a Range of 4. Ulric is on the top right square of Tax (R9).
Ulric uses Push it to the Limit (Free Action)! Ulric gains one Injury. Ulric gains 14 Temporary HP, assuming attack hits.
Ulric uses Backswing as a Weapon Attack on P4 and P3!

P4
AC: 3 [roll3] Crit on 17+
Damage: [roll4] (2d10+10 + 25*1.4 (35) + 14 (Push it to the Limit + Lessons in Pain & Rage) + 5 (White Flame))
Critical Damage: [roll5]

P3
AC: 3 [roll6] Crit on 17+
Damage: [roll7] (2d10+10 + 25*1.4 (35) + 14 (Push it to the Limit + Lessons in Pain & Rage) + 5 (White Flame))
Critical Damage: [roll8]
These ignore 6 DR, if the Pidgeot have any.

End Results:
Ulric (Backswing hits): 127/141 HP, 5 Defense, 5 Special Defense, 24 Speed
10 DR, +1 Speed CS, +2 Attack CS, 14 Temporary HP, 1 Injury, Enraged

Ulric (Backswing misses): 141/141 HP, 5 Defense, 5 Special Defense, 24 Speed

AP: 7/10

MesiDoomstalker
2015-03-05, 07:58 PM
Oh dear. Seems I've acted a little too quickly. Azal weathers the blows, looking more annoyed than worried. Its hard enough keeping these clothes clean out in the wilderness, I don't need frizzy hair to boot! Elizabeth, I need your assistance. The pink fairy materialized ontop of the Skarmory with a cheerful chirp. Be a dear and use Reflect would you? As the Clefable swung its finger around in an intricate pattern, Azal touched a hand to her mutli-colored circlet, tiny runes glowing with power, a Rainbow cascading from the headpiece over the sky.

Azal's Init is 35
Passive Evasion: 7
Elizabeth's Init is 5
5/5/1 Phys/Spec/Spd evasion
Azal used Rainbow Light. For 1 full Turn, all Allies Effect Range is increased by +3 (I planned on doing this prior to Arc's posting, so its not just to snag the Flinch).
Elizabeth used Reflect, with a Light Clay. Anyone can use 1 of 4 uses to reduce Physical Damage by half.

Since they already went this turn, can we go to the top of init (which is Azal) now?

Llyarden
2015-03-06, 07:04 AM
"Agh!" exclaimed Mirisa, trying to beat out a couple of small fires that had somehow started on her clothes. "This is getting infuriating!" Leaning first forwards and then backwards, she swiped at each Pidgeot, before leaving her perch completely to lash out with two further strikes, balancing on the Skarmory's head in a defensive stance. Anpera herself, meanwhile, swooped between the Pidgeots again, taking up a defensive position herself.

So I totally didn't notice the 'feel free to burn all your daily abilities' thing. Also, Mirisa is, as it turns out, singularly unequipped to fight aerial battles. Most of her moves are flying-typed, Pass moves, or both.

Anpera's Free Action: Spinning Dance (which is not an interrupt and thus can still be used.)

Mirisa's Swift Action: Multitasking.

Mirisa's First Standard Action: Struggle @ P2 (AC3): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] Normal Physical.

Mirisa's Second Standard Action: Struggle @ P1 (AC3): [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] Normal Physical.

Mirisa's Free Action: Burst of Speed (15)

Anpera delays to Initiative 14.

As this is a new turn for Mirisa, she has Double Swipe back.

Mirisa's Standard Action: Double Swipe @ P1 (AC2): [roll4] [roll5]
Damage (if 1 hits): [roll6]
Damage (if 2 hit): [roll7]

Mirisa's Shift Action: Flutter.

Anpera's Standard Action: Steel Wing @ P2 (AC3, raises own defence 12+): [roll8]
Damage: [roll9] Steel Physical.

Mirisa: HP 52/102/114 (1 injury), Def 11, SpDef 11, Spd 30
Physical Evasion 5, Special Evasion 5, Speed Evasion 9 (+3 from Flutter)
Mirisa can't be Flanked. (Flutter)

Anpera: HP 96/120, Def 32, SpDef 20, Spd 20 (now acting at initiative 14)
Physical Evasion 8, Special Evasion 6, Speed Evasion 6 (+1 from Inspired Training, +1 from Spinning Dance)

CosmicOccurence
2015-03-06, 05:36 PM
Two more of the birds fell to the onslaught of attacks, and the remaining two responded in kind, darting forward with a speedy strike, dealing Ulric 43 physical normal damage and Mirisa 38 physical normal damage.

Again, you all may go, and unless your rolls all go badly wrong, then it should be over this round

MesiDoomstalker
2015-03-06, 05:45 PM
These birds just won't quit! Elizabeth, take care of these hooligans! The Clefable sang a brief note, blasting a ray of pink light at P1.

Moonblast AC 1 (Focused Training gives +1 AC) Special Fairy, -1 Atk 15+
[roll0]
[roll1]

Arcran
2015-03-06, 05:57 PM
"Tax!" Ulric shouts an instant before the Pidgeot collides with him. The Mantine lets out a shriek, a giant purple barrier appearing between Ulric and the bird, protecting Ulric from the bird. As the barrier shimmers and fades Ulric lets out a roar, a greatsword coated in blue flames coming out from behind the barrier and straight down towards the bird.

Tax does not Shift. Tax uses Wide Guard! Ulric doesn't get hit!

Ulric uses Dragon Claw as a Weapon Attack on P3! Spending 1 AP to boost the AC.

AC: 3 [roll0] Crit on 17+
Damage: [roll1] (3d8+10 + 25*1.4 (35) + 7 (Lessons in Pain & Rage) + 5 (White Flame))
Critical Damage: [roll2]

End:

AP: 6/10

Llyarden
2015-03-07, 05:29 AM
As the Pidgeot struck at her, Mirisa acrobatically rolled back down Anpera's neck, the claws of the opposing Pokemon raking through the air where she'd been a moment before, before she slashed at the bird once again as Anpera continued to swoop around the Pidgeot.

Mirisa's Free Action: Dodge.
Technically Dodge means an attack misses, which might trigger Mirisa's various abilities that work off misses, but I haven't recieved a reply either way from the people at the PTU forums and at this stage at the fight it probably doesn't matter.

Mirisa's Standard Action: Struggle @ P1 (AC3, crit 17+): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] Normal Physical.

Mirisa's Shift Action: Flutter.

Anpera's Standard Action: Steel Wing @ P1 (AC3, raises own defence 15+): [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] Steel Physical.

Mirisa: HP 52/102/114 (1 injury), Def 11, SpDef 11, Spd 30
Physical Evasion 5, Special Evasion 5, Speed Evasion 9 (+3 from Flutter)
Mirisa can't be Flanked. (Flutter)

Anpera: HP 96/120, Def 32, SpDef 20, Spd 20 (now acting at initiative 14)
Physical Evasion 8, Special Evasion 6, Speed Evasion 6 (+1 from Inspired Training, +1 from Spinning Dance)

CosmicOccurence
2015-03-07, 06:25 PM
The final two birds fell to the flurry of attacks from the part, and their bodies began to crash towards the forest floor below. The forest was quiet once more, and you couldn't see any more immediate threats. You were once more free to move further into the forest.

No Trainer Experience for this unfortunately, and you get 96 'mon experience each

Thanks for the encounter, it helped me quite a bit. You can do camp rp stuff if you want (get to know each other more, etc) or we can skip straight to the city. It's all up to you.

Arcran
2015-03-08, 01:36 PM
Ulric scans the trees after he cuts the last bird of the sky, trying to ensure that no other foes were inbound. A few seconds later the old soldier is satisfied and sits down on Tax, cleaning the blood from his giant sword with an old rag as the Mantine glides towards the others. "You alright?" Ulric quietly asks the Mantine, taking the flicks of the Mantine's wings as an affirmative.

With his companion still in decent health Ulric turns to the others, still cleaning his sword.

"You alright?" the giant reiterates loudly, hoping that the rest of the party was in good condition.

I'm fine either way! Skipping straight to the city or camp RP are both 100% fine by me.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-03-08, 01:44 PM
Azal was already frantically searching through her bag, half her upper body having dissappered into it. A muffled cry comes from within. NO I AM NOT! I CAN'T FIND- THERE T IS! Azal pulls herself out of her bag, holding a off-white brush. My comb! She began frantically, but methodically combing her slightly frizzy hair. I'm better now. Mirisia, do you need to borrow my comb? Its made from Wailord thigh-bone. Its great for controlling those out of control hairs.

Llyarden
2015-03-11, 05:56 AM
"I don't like fighting in the air," Mirisa complained, pulling a cloth from a pocket and trying to rub off some of the ash left on her clothes after the bird's powerful heatwave. She didn't seem at all concerned by her own injuries, even though they were nothing to sniff at. "Erm, no thanks," she added to Azal, although she did take the opportunity to take off her hat for a minute and brush some of her loose hair out of her eyes. Azal would probably hazard a guess that Mirisa's hair hadn't seen a decent comb in quite a while.

CosmicOccurence
2015-03-11, 11:37 AM
The group of you were mostly left alone after that incident with the Pidgeot. You flew for two more days, camping on the forest floor without being bothered by the beasts, although whether that was because they sensed your power levels or just luck you couldn't tell. On the third day however, the coast came into view, and you flew towards a large bay that Janash's map pointed you towards. A small speck of an island rose out of the water in the center of the bay, growing larger as you approached it.

Janash's map said that the entire bay, which was quite large, used to be the capital city, but that most of it had been sunken. Only the city's core remained, rising out of the gentle waves with sheer cliff faces supporting the ground at what used to be the normal land elevation of the area.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-03-11, 04:12 PM
Azal gazed in silent awe of the sunken city, trying to pierce the rippling waves to no avail. Its eerie you know? Such a powerful and creative people, wiped out so quickly. The seat of their power, reclaimed by the sea. Azal chewed lightly on her lip, showing a bit of apprehension. This won't be easy. What we will find there likely hasn't seen humans for centuries.

Arcran
2015-03-12, 01:52 AM
Ulric stands easily on Tax's back, peering out towards the sunken city. This was it; this was his best bet for saving Hari and, unless it went quicker than expected, his last chance.

"Let's make a memorable first impression then," Ulric rumbles, shrugging his shoulders to make the pommel of his greatsword more prevalent than it already was. "How did she find this place," he adds quietly, more for his benefit than the others. A giant, seemingly empty bay holding a city lost beneath the waves? Hopefully it wasn't all flooded; swimming was difficult in heavy armor.

Llyarden
2015-03-12, 04:55 AM
"You know, we could be lucky," Mirisa commented. "It could just be traps." Not that she sounded particularly like she believed that. "Well, no time like the present." Anpera started to fly a little lower as Mirisa peered down at the part of the city that was still above water, trying to spot any Pokemon that might take offence at their arrival.

Perception: [roll0]

CosmicOccurence
2015-03-12, 08:09 PM
@Mirisa: For a second, you catch sight of some long, serpentine pokemon winding their way through the water, large enough to wrap their entire bodies around a ship. However, you are too far up to know exactly what species they are, and the shapes quickly descend further into the depths of the ocean.

@All: As your mounts fly over the water toward the city, details begin to make themselves more clear. Many of the buildings have been collapsed and are no more than rubble, although 4-5 still stand with some grandeur. The remainders of the city that weren't shrunken can almost perfectly be described as two concentric circles. The outer city was designed in a wheel and spoke pattern, with main roads all branching away from the central core and leading into a more complex network of roads and alleyways connecting to each other. Inside a divider wall lay the core of the city, what looked to be a labyrinth of limestone with a tower at the center of the great maze, a tower that looked about five stories high.

Perception checks for the city specifically. If you beat DC 15+, open the spoiler below

You notice a shimmering in the air around both the outer and inner cities, two transparent domes of some sort of magical energy containing the city. The only gaps in these domes are large ornate gateways at the edge of both the outer and inner cietier.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-03-12, 08:36 PM
Mirisia! Ulric! There seems to be barriers still erect around the cities inner circles. We will have to navigate on foot! There seems to be an entrance right over there! Pointing to the large ornate gateway.

Llyarden
2015-03-13, 05:53 AM
Mirisa peered down but could not see any signs of the barriers that Azal had been mentioning. Then again, after the ice blast she wasn't going to underestimate the researcher again. "If you say so," she shrugged, nudging Anpera to fly down to the gateway that Azal had pointed out. "I've done quite enough flying anyway," she muttered to herself.

Arcran
2015-03-14, 01:00 PM
Ulric simply nods, turning the Mantine to fly towards the gates. They couldn't have it be too easy now, could they?

CosmicOccurence
2015-03-14, 06:59 PM
You land on a small clearing of flat stone as the city's walls rise fifteen feet above your heads. Two giant ornate doors stand proud, made of a thick and aged limestone. A giant inscription runs around its edge, written in a lettering similar to that on the ruins that you met Janash's tomb, although slightly different. The second half of the inscription had been worn off by a combination of wind and saltwater. The doors were too big and too thick to simply open in the traditional way, as they were too big and heavy for any person to move on their own.

Now that you were closer, all of you could see the faint barrier, a golden sheen in the air, and could feel the faint vibrations that permeated the landscape. While you would no doubt acclimate to this environment, it became abundantly clear that there was magic here; powerful magic.

If Mesi wants to read the inscription, I'd like an occult check. For opening the door, I'm going to need some team athletics checks (see page 220). Any pokemon with a power of 7 or more can use twice their athletics check on this roll.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-03-14, 07:09 PM
Azal studied the inscription for a moment. Testament.... Testament to what? Azal pondered for a bit before addressing the Giant Donphan in the room. This door is absolutely massive! They'd need some method of opening the gate... Azal searched around for a lever, or button or some kind of rune to activate the doors.

I know we can just push it open, but Azal wouldn't think that first. She'd find the doorbell, so to speak. Perception [roll0]

Arcran
2015-03-14, 07:29 PM
"That's what we're here for," Urlic states, dropping Flo's Pokeball and returning the Mantine. As the Meganium appears Ulric takes a few steps towards the door, setting his greatsword on the ground.

"Stand back," he says to the others, bracing his arms against the door. His huge arms bulge as he begins to push, Flo quickly placing her head against the wall and pushing as well, doing her best to help her Trainer.

Ulric: [roll0] Actually 32 'cause we're huge.
Flo: [roll1]

Llyarden
2015-03-15, 06:02 AM
Dismounting from Anpera, Mirisa recalled the large Skarmory before sending out her own contribution to the door-opening effort; a Seismitoad materialised to join Ulric and Flo. "Magic, probably," she said to Azal.

Tour's Athletics, with an AP from Mirisa: [roll0]x2 = 36

CosmicOccurence
2015-03-16, 04:13 PM
With a slow grinding sound, the doors slowly pushed open just far enough for the lot of you to scurry inside quickly before slamming back shut. The inside of the doors were much less ornate than the first.

The city itself was largely in ruins. While most buildings still technically stood, many were collapsed, others had roofs caving in, and nearly all had large holes in the side. It looked like several natural disasters had come through the city. At the same time. The flagstones on the roads were no doubt once smooth, but they were now uneven and cracked.

Aside from the inner wall, which loomed above you ahead about a mile into the city, there were two other buildings that looked to be in relatively good shape, both of which were standing largely above what the rest of the city lay at. One looked like some sort of manor home across to the east, and another appeared to be a governmental structure on the way to the inner wall.

It'll take two 'units' of travel to get to either location, and four 'units' of travel to go straight to the wall. Hitting up the capitol doesn't add any units (its two more to the wall) and heading to the manor house will add one unit to the total trip (three units from manor house to the wall).

From now on while you're in the city, let me know whenever a pokemon is released/withdrawn so that I can keep track of who's out and who isn't.

Also, for each unit of travel, one person should roll a 1d10 in the ooc. However, decide on your plan of action before you roll anything.

Arcran
2015-03-17, 12:11 PM
Ulric grunts as the door finally swings open, nodding towards Flo with a proud grin on his face. The old Meganium still had it, apparently.

The mercenary looks around the city in wonder, not exactly sure what to make of the ruins. For some reason he had a hard time believing a civilization that could build massive energy barriers was done in by a simple natural disaster, especially since the barriers still stood. Something had to have done this. At least the place fell long ago; whoever or whatever had done this was likely long-dead by now.

"Lead the way Azal," Ulric says simply, looking about to try to find a threat. He wasn't an expert at ancient ruins, so he'd leave deciding the path to those that were. He was just here for the prize and to beat off any threats that might arise.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-03-19, 11:17 PM
Azal tapped her chin for a moment before pointing dramatically to the decrpeit manor. There! I doubt our goal will be in the outer ring here, its likely far too important to not be stored in a safe place. If the design of the city is anything to go on, the inner circles are more important and have higher security. I doubt we'll be able to find it before the day's end and its best to not be moving about in such a place at night. The manor likely is our best bet for a safe refuge where we can rest after a day of searching. Azal started forward confidently, releasing Merry Weather. Now that they were in the thick of things, his premonitions would be useful. Even a split second warning is better then none.

Obviously, Merry Weather is out.

Llyarden
2015-03-20, 04:54 AM
"If you say so," replied Mirisa with a shrug. Recalling her Seismitoad to his ball, she instead brought out a Dusknoir, who took the opportunity to spin playfully around her trainer in greeting.

Djabe is now out.

CosmicOccurence
2015-03-21, 02:28 PM
The walk to the city was quiet, and you passed through the crumbling ruins without meeting any sort or resistance, let alone other signs of life. The crumbling buildings had shed rocks into the road, and the footing was oftentimes unstable. You passed another inscription inlaid on the edge of a fountain with crushed statues in the middle. The inscription looked much newer than the fountain itself, modern even. Azal translated it as "metal shells hollow as man's hearts guard our home from the sorcery of man."

However, you saw no signs of metal at all, just stone. Eventually you reached the manor house, which, despite looking eroded and run down, was in much better shape than the half collapsed buildings around you. It must have stood three stories tall, and the doors were made out of a dark wood, possibly oak. Shards of thick pasty glass clung to the windows, which otherwise stood open. The knockers on the door were made of copper, and had turned green with age. The door itself had no inscription, but held some sort of crest on it.

General Education check to identify the crest

MesiDoomstalker
2015-03-21, 10:54 PM
Seems this manor belonged to the House Celetann. Powerful family. No doubt, their estate would be extravagant. And safe. Well, no time like the present! Azal grabs the door, pulling it open with a huff.

Arcran
2015-03-22, 11:19 AM
"Wait," Ulric says quickly, but too late. His hand unconsciously drifts towards his back as the door is opened, mentally preparing himself for the worst.

Llyarden
2015-03-22, 12:01 PM
Mirisa, too, half-reached for her sabre as Azal threw the door open. "You do realise there could be traps?" she pointed out with something of a put-upon sigh.

CosmicOccurence
2015-03-23, 09:07 PM
Sunlight pooled into the building as the doors opened, but no traps went off. The door stuck for a moment, but it didn't give too much resistance. From what you could see of the room (most of the room was shrouded in darkness), there was a fine marble mosaic on the floor and what looked to be two shadowy columns.

Arcran
2015-03-24, 11:51 AM
"Move," Ulric says with little emotion, shoving his way past the researcher into the abandoned building, both he and his Pokemon looking about carefully as they enter. The giant greatsword finally comes free as Ulric enters, the old warrior not wishing to take any chances.

Ulric Perception: [roll0]
Flo Perception: [roll1]

CosmicOccurence
2015-03-25, 07:12 PM
You can't penetrate the darkness of the room, but you make note of some sort of movement above the room further inside. Your gut tells you its a chandelier. However, light is going to be necessary if you want to make out any of the room's details.

Arcran
2015-03-26, 01:57 AM
"Flo, Light Screen," the old soldier mutters even as he reaches into his pack for the glowing stone, trying to get a better read on exactly what they were up against.

Ulric shines his flashlight around
If able, Flo uses Light Screen.

Llyarden
2015-03-26, 06:32 AM
Mirisa, too, pulled her rune-inscribed stone from its position and aimed it into the darkness. "Watch in our blind spots, Djabe," she said, quietly, to the Dusknoir who was still orbiting her; the ghost finally settled down more seriously, spectral eyes piercing the gloom in a way that even the two flashlights couldn't.

Djabe has darkvision and will be using it to look in the places the two flashlights are not pointing.

CosmicOccurence
2015-03-26, 07:39 PM
The beams of light illuminated a dark, but relatively good condition room. It had a high ceiling of which you could just make out the hint of the vaulted roof, and pillars scattered around the room. Two curving staircases led up to a second floor balcony, on which sat a musty old portrait of a young woman hung above a large table. The chandelier you sensed earlier swung gently from side to side. Small tables sat near the the pillars on the bottom floor with various urns, vases, and decorative objects adorning them. Rusted swords and axes hung on the walls, and four suits of armor stood motionless in the corner.

Light Screen is fine

MesiDoomstalker
2015-03-26, 07:45 PM
Azal stared blankly at her companions. Who traps their front door? These people were politicians. Aristocrats. Not paranoid recluses. Azal activated her own crystal, shining the beam opposite her partners. We should see where the kitchen is. That will likely be near a well or other source of fresh water. I feel like this may take quite a while and having a source of water would be nice. Also think of the wine! Aged hundreds of years! It must be sublime!

CosmicOccurence
2015-03-26, 08:59 PM
And why the earth would I to let you a place near the cellars? A voice sounded in the room. It was the rich voice of a polished nobleperson. While he certainly spoke in a different mannerisms than yours, he spoke with confidence and without any trace of stupidity. It seemed more of a dialectical difference than anything. To answer concerns, no traps herein lie. Though, supposedly I am to trap in myself are I not? To do I suppose would be throwing you out, but that to bore would be my life again.

Perception checks please!

Arcran
2015-03-28, 04:05 PM
"Who's there?" Ulric grunts, whirling around to try to find the source only to find nothing. The man's speech was odd, to say the least, but Ulric felt he was able to get the gist of it. There shouldn't be anything living in the city at this point, making the old soldier's immediately assume ghost.

"Show yourself!" the soldier roars, louder this time, his command causing Flo to flinch at the burst of sound. He'd dealt with ghosts enough in his time across the sea to know a battle with a ghost was something he didn't want to occur at all. Even more, a battle against a ghost in a place it knows well? That could only end in disaster.

Ulric Perception: [roll0]
Flo Perception: [roll1]
Ulric Intimidate: [roll2]

MesiDoomstalker
2015-03-28, 05:47 PM
Azal's face lighted up, beaming a bright smile. An apparition! Of course, why wouldn't the former residents inhabit its walls. Dear spirit, which name do we call you?

Azal [roll0]
MW [roll1]

Llyarden
2015-03-29, 05:22 AM
Mirisa drew her sabre, although she held it in a manner that was not immediately threatening - but it would, she hoped, be obvious to any spirits that might be lurking that the engraved blade was crafted expressly for destroying such things. She was not helpless here. Beyond that, she continued her methodical scanning of the room with the flashlight, Djabe still peering into the darkness.

Djabe (darkvision): [roll0]
Mirisa: [roll1].

CosmicOccurence
2015-03-29, 02:18 PM
The front doors rattled at Ulric's roar, although most certainly not because of its volume. All of you could tell that the sound came from further into the room: either on the balcony or underneath the balcony in an area full of drapery and wall hangings.

The voice came again, this time with a little less conversational of a tone. To insult after entering unto mine home and yet wasing demands every which way. Not at all a too polite. To calm to you, or to trap shall I be. I thou call Agador. And to whom to invade this home thou art? And why to invade this home thou come? To question shall I do, not you.

Azal
Merry Weather sent Azal a quick message via telepathy letting her trainer know that there was something moving up on the balcony, near the area of the table. Whether or not they were invisible or not she wasn't sure, just that the sound came from there and that she sensed movement of some kind, but nothing large or concrete.

Arcran
2015-03-29, 08:17 PM
Ulric looks about the room, sword held loosely, waiting to let the researcher do the actual talking.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-03-30, 11:46 PM
Azal took one step up the staircase, one foot still on the ground floor. She looked up the stairs at where Merry Weather indicated. We were seeking a place of refuge. We are explorers and seek to spend some great time here, and this grand palace seemed to had stood the test of time. It would have been a pity to not enjoy its grandeur while we visited and its superb state promised a location which could house fresh water and a warm bed for our weary heads. She was honest. A bit flourishing and pandering, but honest nonetheless.

[roll0]

Llyarden
2015-03-31, 07:07 AM
Mirisa did not say anything either, instead focusing on continuing to scan the room. The...Agador, as it called itself, was likely taking care to not be seen, but that didn't mean that there wouldn't be anything else of note to see.

CosmicOccurence
2015-04-01, 10:23 PM
Azal didn't notice anything up above the balcony even with Merry Weather's note. Just the table and the portrait. Mirisa and Ulric's cursory examination revealed nothing unusual about the room: drapes, some small tables with random urns and vases (no flowers), a variety of rusted weapons on the walls, and four suits of armor in the corners of the room. In any case, it was clear that you

The voice carried a hint of dissatisfaction, but it never betrayed the tone of professionalism that the voice had held since it began talking. No water to be found here. You check the wells, but to rust the pipes many years ago in the rain. To betray my purpose to allow any but those belong to Celetann House to sleep here without to permission of the mistress, who died in the rain. Elsewhere to sleep you must, else I had failed my single job.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-04-02, 12:47 AM
That is a shame, Agador. This house is most beauteously, I wish we could have seen it in its prime. We will respect your duty, Agador. We will not stay here. Though, if you acquiesce, may we explore? Take in the splendor of the Celetann House so we may spread the word of its grandeur? I assure you, we will take the utmost respect and care upon the house and its contents.

[roll0]
At this point, Azal is more curious than anything and trying to find an excuse to stay and slyly interview Agador.

Arcran
2015-04-03, 11:25 AM
"We don't want to sleep here," Ulric rumbles under his breath, continuing to look around. Still, he didn't want to anger the ghost or whatever the hell it was, so he continues to let Azal do the talking.

CosmicOccurence
2015-04-06, 09:37 AM
Very well, but sleep nowhere and to disturb little during your time here. Know that I am everywhere and to watch you I am always doing. His voice seemed to be slowly adapting to your speaking habits, and you were struggling less and less to understand his words.

Two doors, which appeared to be nothing more than walls before, swung open. One in the west and one in the east. Two more doors swung open on the balcony as well. Dust began to swirl in the air, causing you to want to cough. Just then the chandelier burst into flames, suddenly illuminating the room, a dark flickering glow. You could more clearly see the room now than before, and Djabe, Azal, and Merry Weather noticed that the portrait of the young woman shifted ever so slightly and changed her face to a look of satisfaction quickly after the room was illuminated.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-04-10, 01:09 PM
Well! No better place than to start on the right foot! Azal twisted on her heels and headed through the newly opened right door.

Llyarden
2015-04-11, 08:44 AM
"What kind of a saying is that?" Mirisa muttered to herself, following the researcher. Djabe, meanwhile, floated upwards to peer at the portrait a little more closely before looping back around to follow her trainer.

Arcran
2015-04-11, 11:31 AM
"No clue," the warrior rumbles back, following after the researcher. As the chandelier erupts into flames Liberator slides nearly halfway out of its sheath before the warrior sees little threat, slowly replacing it. Flo keeps a few steps behind her companion, keeping a watchful eye around the house.

"Books and relics, right?" Ulric says, looking around. "Is there a library?" the warrior says, louder, obviously intended for the ghost. It was a long shot, but it could yield something interesting. Assuming, of course, that the books were still legible after all this time.

CosmicOccurence
2015-04-16, 04:25 PM
Well! No better place than to start on the right foot! Azal twisted on her heels and headed through the newly opened right door.

You entered into a stuffy parlor area with thick carpeting that was filled with dust that puffed up when you stepped on it. One door lead into an area that looked to be a dining room while another door looked in on what must have been the kitchen, although that room was made of wood and the floorboards looked rather unstable.

"What kind of a saying is that?" Mirisa muttered to herself, following the researcher. Djabe, meanwhile, floated upwards to peer at the portrait a little more closely before looping back around to follow her trainer.

Djabe makes a pass at the painting and pauses before it before looping back to you (it cannot communicate via telepathy, otherwise you would know what it had observed when it went to the painting). Otherwise you see the same as Azal.

"No clue," the warrior rumbles back, following after the researcher. As the chandelier erupts into flames Liberator slides nearly halfway out of its sheath before the warrior sees little threat, slowly replacing it. Flo keeps a few steps behind her companion, keeping a watchful eye around the house.

"Books and relics, right?" Ulric says, looking around. "Is there a library?" the warrior says, louder, obviously intended for the ghost. It was a long shot, but it could yield something interesting. Assuming, of course, that the books were still legible after all this time.

A study, but no library, through the door on the left. But to note I should that you cannot remove any objects or books from this house.

Arcran
2015-04-20, 10:18 AM
"Of course not," Ulric says to himself, silently thinking that he'd take whatever he damn well pleased. Still, the warrior makes his way towards the door on the left, Flo following behind him.

Llyarden
2015-04-20, 10:24 AM
Mirisa vaguely remembered their employers' request for important documents and frowned slightly. "We cannot take anything? Would you - or whatever agency would be the one to prohibit us taking anything, if not you - protest at us making copies of anything?"

CosmicOccurence
2015-04-20, 04:42 PM
"Of course not," Ulric says to himself, silently thinking that he'd take whatever he damn well pleased. Still, the warrior makes his way towards the door on the left, Flo following behind him.

You entered into a hallway which ran for a short ways. As you stepped into it, a door in the middle of the hallway flew open, as if to invite you inside.

If you enter
The fireplace crackled to life as you entered. The study was cozy, with a plush armchair and a handsome mahogany desk. There was a tall Swanna feather quill and sheafs of parchment on the table, covered mostly with what appeared to be calculations. A stuffed Druddigon roared in the corner and a Stantler head hung on the wall. A single small bookcase stood on one wall, with a stained glass covering. A dusty red carpet covered the floor, and tapestries hung on the walls depicting legendary pokemon.

Mirisa vaguely remembered their employers' request for important documents and frowned slightly. "We cannot take anything? Would you - or whatever agency would be the one to prohibit us taking anything, if not you - protest at us making copies of anything?"

By now the being seemed to have completely adapted to modern speech patterns, although his words still carried a hint of an accent. Considering how long he'd been conversing with you, this was a rather remarkable feat. So long as you do not damage anything, then it is no concern of mine.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-04-20, 05:09 PM
So Agador. How long have you been in charge of the estate? It must be lonely here all alone.Azal strolled casually forward, ignoring the kitchen. It looked a tad unsafe. She headed towards the dining room, hopping to inspect some fine china.

Arcran
2015-04-20, 06:22 PM
The warrior gives a small grin as he looks at the stuffed heads on the walls. Whoever had lived here had at least possessed good taste in decor. The warrior takes a moment to admire the Druddigon before continuing towards the bookshelf, trying to see if there was anything there he could even come close to reading.

Llyarden
2015-04-21, 05:03 AM
Mirisa smiled - she would have smiled in the direction of the voice, but since she had no idea where it was coming from that was a little difficult. "I'm sure we won't damage anything," she said, before moving forwards to examine the fire a little, wondering if it actually had any fuel or if it was just ignoring the laws of physics.

CosmicOccurence
2015-04-21, 09:12 PM
So Agador. How long have you been in charge of the estate? It must be lonely here all alone.Azal strolled casually forward, ignoring the kitchen. It looked a tad unsafe. She headed towards the dining room, hopping to inspect some fine china.

I've been here for 1049 years, 1050 come Gendarri. It's grown rather dull, but I serve all the same. There have been rather a lot of interruptions these past few months. Moreso than over 1,000 years. Those stuffy suits of armor have been clanking around more than usual too.

The dining room was decorated in what was no doubt a grand style at some point, but it appeared horribly severe and outdated compared to even your taste in decorating. The table was decorated in the same strange style of high Vardian alphabet that you'd been seeing on the ruins and in the city. It was simply an inscription on the glory of the Celetann family, but it seemed as though this script was widespread in the area.

The dishes were in pristine condition, a dark purple color with a dull gold patterned trim. When you ran your hand along one, some symbols built into the decorations on the side pulsed softly.

Symbology to guess effect

The warrior gives a small grin as he looks at the stuffed heads on the walls. Whoever had lived here had at least possessed good taste in decor. The warrior takes a moment to admire the Druddigon before continuing towards the bookshelf, trying to see if there was anything there he could even come close to reading.

As you approached the bookshelf, the Druddigon turned slightly towards you and tilted its head. If you didn't know that it was dead, you could have sworn that it was watching you.

The bookshelf was full of books that you couldn't read. The titles were as alien to you as the text inside. However, you could tell that the vast majority of these books and ledgers were filled with numbers and mathematical equations of some sort. Another appeared to be filled with unintelligible family trees. Only one book seemed to be completely text based, though again, you couldn't read it. All the books looked old and crinkly around the edges. Nothing like the freshly pressed sheets you'd seen recently.

Mirisa smiled - she would have smiled in the direction of the voice, but since she had no idea where it was coming from that was a little difficult. "I'm sure we won't damage anything," she said, before moving forwards to examine the fire a little, wondering if it actually had any fuel or if it was just ignoring the laws of physics.

I'm assuming that you're in the study at the moment, but I'm not 100% sure

The wood in the fireplace was real enough, although the fire was not burning the wood. Instead it hovered around the fringes of the wood, not touching the bark, but giving the illusion that it was a real fire. However, the heat that came from the flames were genuine enough, and the fire itself otherwise behaved as a fire normally would.

Out of the corner of your eye, you noticed the stuffed Druddigon shift slightly.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-04-21, 09:28 PM
Azal leaned in close, studying the brilliant china, running a finger along the surface before a test sniff and then finally lick. She sputtered and spit, forgetting old mansions gather lots of dust, but her curiosity satisfied. Clanking armors? Are they inhabited much like you are? Did they clank before a few months ago? That was somewhat worrying. Either some other poltergeist had taken residence and were not friendly or other outsiders had riled up those already in place. Regardless, it did not bode well.

Arcran
2015-04-21, 09:32 PM
Ulric looks at the Druddigon, a curious expression on his face and the books momentarily forgotten, especially since he couldn't make head nor tails of them anyway. With a few short steps Ulric walks up to the Druddigon, waving his hand in front of its head a few times to see if the head follows his arm.

CosmicOccurence
2015-04-21, 10:42 PM
Azal leaned in close, studying the brilliant china, running a finger along the surface before a test sniff and then finally lick. She sputtered and spit, forgetting old mansions gather lots of dust, but her curiosity satisfied. Clanking armors? Are they inhabited much like you are? Did they clank before a few months ago? That was somewhat worrying. Either some other poltergeist had taken residence and were not friendly or other outsiders had riled up those already in place. Regardless, it did not bode well.

Hmm. They're like me I suppose, but so very different at the same time. Their armor is ... a little special I suppose you could say. And they always clank, but ever since humans started coming again they've been much more active in these parts. It's their job to ensure that no human ever sets foot in the city again, but the city is a big place.

Ulric looks at the Druddigon, a curious expression on his face and the books momentarily forgotten, especially since he couldn't make head nor tails of them anyway. With a few short steps Ulric walks up to the Druddigon, waving his hand in front of its head a few times to see if the head follows his arm.

The Druddigon tilted its head at you, before the low voice of Agador came from its mouth. I can see you just fine if that was what you were wondering. I know everything happening in this house.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-04-21, 11:27 PM
Azal shot up straight. Her mouth moved at amazing speed as she processed the new information. Poultergeists, or something like them. Patrolling the city. Keep humans out. But humans lived here. The catastrophe the befell the Varadamir, these suits must be part of it. Or was. But more humans. Recently. The girl paced the length of the dining table, starting a new rotation. That means a few things. A) it is not safe to remain in the city for several reasons. These suits whose purpose is to remove us, likely via force. Second, there are other humans here. Doubtful they are friendly, treasure hunters tend to be greedy and researchers tend to be gloryhounds. Friendly or not, they have stirred the guardians here. This makes our job so much worse. I must find the others. We should be idle nor alone while we reside here.

Azal pivoted on the ball of her foot, turning back through doors and following her companions footsteps. Upon coming to the study. I have dire news, we are- Azal stalled as she took in her surroundings. Books. Wonderful, aged books! She squealed as she reached for the nearest one, flipping through them eagerly but gingerly.

CosmicOccurence
2015-04-21, 11:36 PM
Azal shot up straight. Her mouth moved at amazing speed as she processed the new information. Poultergeists, or something like them. Patrolling the city. Keep humans out. But humans lived here. The catastrophe the befell the Varadamir, these suits must be part of it. Or was. But more humans. Recently. The girl paced the length of the dining table, starting a new rotation. That means a few things. A) it is not safe to remain in the city for several reasons. These suits whose purpose is to remove us, likely via force. Second, there are other humans here. Doubtful they are friendly, treasure hunters tend to be greedy and researchers tend to be gloryhounds. Friendly or not, they have stirred the guardians here. This makes our job so much worse. I must find the others. We should be idle nor alone while we reside here.

Azal pivoted on the ball of her foot, turning back through doors and following her companions footsteps. Upon coming to the study. I have dire news, we are- Azal stalled as she took in her surroundings. Books. Wonderful, aged books! She squealed as she reached for the nearest one, flipping through them eagerly but gingerly.

Since we've established she can read this language, I'm not going to bother to keep asking for checks for you to read this stuff until you sit down and pour over it, at which point I may make some translation errors depending on your rolls. Some of these texts I will give you the full text of, this one included. Some I will not. And by full text I mean no more than 5 pages at the absolute maximum (since I'm not writing 1,000 page books for you all)

At first glance the book you pulled looked to be a diary of some sort, although you wouldn't know for sure until you went over it more thoroughly.

There's also the other two in the room, one of which is crouching in front of the fire and the other is staring a stuffed Druddigon in the face. You might not have noticed them however.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-04-21, 11:48 PM
Azal began dancing back and forth on her feet. A diary! This was perfect! First hand accounts of the day and life of Varadmir! She flipped through, finding the last few pages with markings, before back tracking a few days and begin reading.

Whatever Edu to read (their all the same anyways) [roll0]
symbology that I forgot incase I can still roll that [roll1]

Arcran
2015-04-22, 12:05 AM
Ulric starts a little as the Druddigon speaks, more out of shock than any actual fear.

"So that's what you were," he states. "How long have you been dead?" Ulric asks, figuring there was little reason to not be blunt.

Llyarden
2015-04-22, 04:03 AM
Mirisa jumped at the stuffed Druddigon moving and then, rather embarrassed, sought something to say. "Isn't that...rather uncomfortable being in that?" she asked lamely, before turning around to look at Azal...dancing? By this point Mirisa was getting used to the other woman's antics and said nothing beyond "Found something interesting?"

Yes, Mirisa (and Djabe) are in the study.

CosmicOccurence
2015-04-24, 07:07 PM
Azal began dancing back and forth on her feet. A diary! This was perfect! First hand accounts of the day and life of Varadmir! She flipped through, finding the last few pages with markings, before back tracking a few days and begin reading.

Whatever Edu to read (their all the same anyways) [roll0]
symbology that I forgot incase I can still roll that [roll1]

The manuscript wasn't terribly difficult, although some of the grammar gave you problems. There were a few areas that you seemed unsure about - a word or phrase that you weren't totally sure about. However, you were sure that the basics of the journal. It was a journal written by the founder of House Celetann, the very noble family whose house you were now standing in. Only the last few pages seemed to be of any interest to you, and the entries ended with the last page half charred and unreadable.

The parts you aren't totally sure about are in italics.

"Excerpts from The Diary of Jhenivine Celetann
A Note: As this diary was written before the adoption of the High Vardian Alphabet, it has been translated from Low Vardian to High Vardian for accessibility to all scholars. A copy of the same text in Low Vardian can be found in the back of this book.

22 Gendarri
I discovered a cave while exploring the coastline near Ishweil. The currents around it made it rather hard to reach, and the cave itself was not too noticeable, so I understand how fisherman could have overlooked in the past, especially after a long day at work. Ventured in with Foam for an hour or so, but dark was quickly falling. I didn’t get far before deciding to turn back. I’ll come back later when I have more time to explore.

7 Eslan
Returned to the cave I discovered fifteen days previously with supplies for a nighttime underground. I found a beach after 30 minutes or so, not too far in and certainly not so far in as to be under the city proper. Perhaps the beach was as far in as Dewott Armory? Will bring measurement instruments during next expedition. A tunnel led off this beach, and, by the light of my torch, I saw runes moving around the walls. At first I thought it to be a trick of my flickering torchlight, but then I realized that these runes, whatever they were, were avoiding the light. I eventually found a location where many of them gathered and didn’t shy away from the light.

Here the glyphs seemed to be forming patterns of some sort, although I couldn’t decipher any meaning from them. I camped in this location and fell asleep with Foam guarding me while I slept (she rested while I inspected the runes). When I woke, I was unsurprised to find that the symbols had formed in a different pattern than before, although there remained similarities between the two. Certain groupings of symbols repeated themselves, and the length of the groupings seemed random. I could not discover the meaning behind these symbols. Unfortunately, I was unable to discern the truth behind these symbols or the groupings they formed by the time I left. I plan to return soon to solve this mystery, next time with Janza, who has always been more interested in runes than I. I have all of my notes and copies of the scripts with me (thankfully I had paper), and I plan to work this mystery out at some point.

9 Eslan
The answer came to me like a flash from the tail of an Ampharos. I wasn’t even working on the problem when it came to me: I was making dinner for myself and Nike. It’s an alphabet! That explains the different lengths of groupings, and the fact that there were continued patterns between the two different messages. It isn’t any language that I recognize, but I’m sure that I can figure it out. I’ve never heard of a living alphabet before. The only question is whether or not its real. While I’m sure about what I saw, it could have been an illusion caused by a mage or a pokemon. Or is it a new pokemon on its own? That would truly be a marvelous discovery.

13 Eslan
I’ve been working with Janza to try and decipher the script for two days now, and something incredible happened. During the course of our work on moving letters around and trying to decipher script, one of my runes, one of the better drawn ones, burst into flame. I was tired and hadn’t been concentrating at that point, thinking about how a fire would be nice to take off the chill. As far as I know I’m not a fire-bringer, and have no gifts in magic (even Janza isn’t an elementalist; his gifts lie in Seele magic.

This is unprecedented. Somehow the runes themselves caused a change in nature. Were the glyphs able to project their magic through these runes, or did I somehow cause this change to happen? After further experimentation, we learned that, as long as I was concentrating on fire when writing that rune, the page would burn. The better drawn the glyph was and the stronger my concentration, the stronger the flame. Interestingly, I could not create fire with any other runes.

However, after some more random experimentation, we were unable to find any more anomalies like the flame incident. There are simply too many options. Any one idea could be represented by any of the 28 runes, and we don’t even know what different effects the runes can produce. We need more information.

15 Eslan
I have exciting news to report. We managed to decipher the alphabet, although it looks painfully obvious in hindsight. We were searching through ancient records looking for anything similar to this script but were unable to find anything remotely close. Then almost by accident, Janza discovered that it correlated to our own language. This means that whatever that being is could read our minds (and maybe even our memories) and was intelligent enough to recreate an alphabet and independently convey meaning. I don’t know of any pokemon that isn’t a psychic type to accomplish that sort of feat, meaning this pokemon is likely psychic type.

However, we have made little progress with the magic of the runes/alphabet. More experimentation has yielded nothing, and we simply don’t have enough to work off of. Janza and I plan to return to the cave tomorrow to see what we uncover; he has been growing irritated that i haven’t let him go there yet. Hopefully this will keep him happy."

Document ends here. Feel free to roll edu checks on anything you might think of.

Ulric starts a little as the Druddigon speaks, more out of shock than any actual fear.

"So that's what you were," he states. "How long have you been dead?" Ulric asks, figuring there was little reason to not be blunt.

I'm not dead the Druddigon responded. How on earth could something dead be talking to you?

Mirisa jumped at the stuffed Druddigon moving and then, rather embarrassed, sought something to say. "Isn't that...rather uncomfortable being in that?" she asked lamely, before turning around to look at Azal...dancing? By this point Mirisa was getting used to the other woman's antics and said nothing beyond "Found something interesting?"

Yes, Mirisa (and Djabe) are in the study.

More comfortable than being in a door or chandelier. This at least has some sort of body which I can move around.

Arcran
2015-04-25, 02:30 PM
"How the hell can something that's alive have its head literally mounted on a plate?" Ulric tosses back, thoroughly confused. "Or is that not your real body?" he quickly adds, unsure where to go from here.

CosmicOccurence
2015-04-25, 06:54 PM
"How the hell can something that's alive have its head literally mounted on a plate?" Ulric tosses back, thoroughly confused. "Or is that not your real body?" he quickly adds, unsure where to go from here.

Of course its not my real body the Stantler head bent and looked down at you. This house is my domain, and I control everything inside of it. It's rather fun controlling the dead bodies though, since it does give some semblance of a form to my power. It makes things a little easier for humans to understand as well. They generally don't take kindly to voices coming from thin air.

Arcran
2015-04-28, 03:55 PM
"Well, what is your real body?" Ulric asks, an expectant tone in his voice. It wasn't exactly fair for one of them to reveal their form and the other to not.

CosmicOccurence
2015-04-29, 11:03 AM
I'm inside the house aren't I? The butler, if he really was a butler, seemed confused by the question.

Llyarden
2015-04-29, 11:15 AM
"We are...unused to beings inhabiting objects with no real form of their own," Mirisa says, by way of an attempt at explanation.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-04-29, 04:25 PM
Azal gingerly closed the book, looking at Ulric and Mirisia. He's a Rotom. What, you hadn't figured it out yet? Their possessing Ghost types. Azal's eyes widened as she remembered why she came here in the first place. Right, I came here for a reason! We have company. There are other Rotom's about in the city, possessing suits of armor. They act as sentries for the city, keeping humans out. Agrador told me they have been particularly active lately. We aren't the only ones here in the city. I would not doubt they are not friendly. Also, I found some clues! Showing the book she was reading excitedly. This is the diary of one Jhenivine Celetann, who established the Celetann family as a noblehouse during the early formation of the Empire. Its been theorized Jhenivine was associated with Janza (our quarry) and this journal confirms it. It talks about a set of living alphabet inhabiting a cave somewhere nearby that creeps deep under the city.

I've heard of something similar, a Pokemon dubbed Unown. The name should say it all, sightings are rare and many pass them off as illusions in the desert heat. According to this diary, Jhenivine and Janza were studying them (or what I assume were Unown) and accidentally created fire. It may be an ambitious assumption, but this may be the very origins of Symbol Magic! Azal's voice was raising in excitement, slowly. By the time she reached the end of her spiel, she was essentially squeaking.

CosmicOccurence
2015-05-02, 09:01 AM
The rotom remains silent, and he avoids barging in on the conversation currently going on.

Llyarden
2015-05-02, 02:27 PM
"I thought Rotoms had a form of their own," Mirisa said, with a hint of embarrassment, although she was mostly digesting Azal's revelation. "So...these Unown...caused symbol magic to develop? Does that mean that every symbol we use has something of these Unown in them?" She pulled out her flashlight and looked at the runes on it, as if expecting them to wave to her.

Arcran
2015-05-04, 11:01 AM
"So where do we need to go?" Ulric asks, somewhat eager to get out of the strange house. "Do we want to go to this cave?"

MesiDoomstalker
2015-05-04, 11:19 AM
No, I doubt each Symbol used for magic are Unown. I'm not even sure exactly how they tie into the practice precisely. But the book we seek won't be in that cave, unless they turned it into a museum or something similar. Worse comes to worse, we can go there and try to stumble upon the secret ourselves, but Janza's journal would still be our first priority. Though where it would be, I'm not at all positive. Azal tapped her chin for a moment, before looking up at the cieling for no particular reason. Agrador, do you know the layout of the city? Maybe you could direct us in the right direction.

CosmicOccurence
2015-05-05, 10:51 PM
The rotom's voice sounded a bit more hesitant than usual, as if he were entering into dangerous territory. If you're looking for books, the grand library would have been a good bet, but that was the first thing destroyed during The Fall. You could go to The Forge, there were a lot of books there. But, the Forge isn't the safest of places. In fact, its downright dangerous.

Llyarden
2015-05-06, 03:44 AM
"Dangerous?" asked Mirisa. "Why? Because of the other Rotoms?" She seemed to have discounted the rest of Agrador's advice and focused on the prospect of danger.

CosmicOccurence
2015-05-06, 09:13 AM
"Dangerous?" asked Mirisa. "Why? Because of the other Rotoms?" She seemed to have discounted the rest of Agrador's advice and focused on the prospect of danger.

No, the Armors only roam the city. They're dangerous, but they'll never go in the Forge. There are ... things ... in The Forge. Things that haven't woken up for a long, long time and have just started to stir again. However, it was guarded from The Fall, so it should be in relatively good shape. You'd have to get through the Labyrinth to get there, but that's probably the easiest part of the journey.

Arcran
2015-05-06, 09:23 AM
"We're good at dangerous," Ulric states, seemingly unconcerned. "What are we expecting? Ghosts? That's the only thing that could still be alive, right?"

Llyarden
2015-05-07, 04:45 PM
"Well, that's descriptive," remarked Mirisa sarcastically to Agrador (or at least, where she presumed Agrador was inhabiting at the moment.) "If that's the way we have to take to get there, where is this Labyrinth, then?"

MesiDoomstalker
2015-05-07, 04:55 PM
If there are Rotom-possessed statues still up and about, I will not put it past the former residents here to have a few tricks that will just as readily rip our faces off now as they would a millenia ago. Azal pondered for a bit, drumming her fingers on the diary. What is making you apprehensive Agrador? You've been cordial as expected up till now.

CosmicOccurence
2015-05-07, 05:06 PM
"We're good at dangerous," Ulric states, seemingly unconcerned. "What are we expecting? Ghosts? That's the only thing that could still be alive, right?"

I don't know much about what's in there except that sometimes a giant eight legged yellow ... thing climbs out. Once every fifty years or so. If that's living in The Forge ... well I don't want to imagine what else.

"Well, that's descriptive," remarked Mirisa sarcastically to Agrador (or at least, where she presumed Agrador was inhabiting at the moment.) "If that's the way we have to take to get there, where is this Labyrinth, then?"

The Forge, for your information, is through the Labyrinth. Behind the big wall in the center of the city. It's pretty hard to miss. Apparently Agrador had a sarcastic side as well.

If there are Rotom-possessed statues still up and about, I will not put it past the former residents here to have a few tricks that will just as readily rip our faces off now as they would a millenia ago. Azal pondered for a bit, drumming her fingers on the diary. What is making you apprehensive Agrador? You've been cordial as expected up till now.

The Forge was the center of power for the Vardamir their entire reign. I don't know what's in there but, well even humans should be able to feel the power radiating from the city. This isn't a normal place, and even I don't know what's causing that energy to emanate from the Forge.

Arcran
2015-05-08, 03:19 PM
"A spider?" Ulric states, based solely on the eight-legged description. "How big are we talking?" the mercenary adds, a bit concerned if something that size had lived in the city so long. What the hell did it eat?

CosmicOccurence
2015-05-13, 06:56 PM
"A spider?" Ulric states, based solely on the eight-legged description. "How big are we talking?" the mercenary adds, a bit concerned if something that size had lived in the city so long. What the hell did it eat?

About the size of three of these rooms. It's rather ... large for its species. It must have been some sort of mutation from the sheer amount of magic radiating from this place. Such mutations are more common in the forest than other areas, and even moreso inside the city.

Llyarden
2015-05-14, 03:25 AM
"That's...large," said Mirisa, somewhat unecessarily. "So...we have possessed suits of armour, mutated Pokemon, mysterious 'things' and giant spiders." She gave an almost playful grin to Ulric and Azal. "Just another day on the job, then."

"Thank you for your help, Agrador."

MesiDoomstalker
2015-05-16, 02:16 PM
Azal gingerly replaced the diary where she found it before she turned towards the stuffed Druddigon. Now don't be coy, Agrador. Theres more than big-ol' spiders in the Forge. Don't hold out on us.

[roll0] charm? CHARM!

CosmicOccurence
2015-05-17, 04:30 PM
The center of relic construction and rune magic education for the entirety of the Vardamir Empire certainly has more in it than just a spider young lady, but I was specifically instructed not to speak of it. My masters may be long dead, but I'm still bound by the orders placed upon me. There are limits to what I'm physically allowed to say while I'm stuck in this house you know. They don't make magic like they used to, and its made pokemon's lives a lot easier, but I'm stuck being bound by the old magic, which is a rather pain in the anchor if you know what I mean. Did you think I actually enjoy being stuck in an empty mansion for an entire millenia? Not that I have much of a say in it to be honest, but that's what it was like back in my day.

You recognize the term Rune Magic as the earliest form of symbol magic, commonly used to create relics and universally regarded as more powerful than symbol magic today is.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-05-17, 07:52 PM
Azal's eyes widen as she realized Agrador's predicament, then softened as she let compassion take over. Agrador... if I could break the bonds sealing you here, would you like me to?

CosmicOccurence
2015-05-18, 12:38 PM
I would indeed. It's not terribly easy however. My anchor, the bit where I'm connected to the house if you will, is in the cellar inside a trapped room. Destroy that and I'm free. However, I'm also instructed to attack anyone who enters the room without Celetann blood, and I'm no pushover when it comes to battle I can tell you that much. Alternatively, Jessandra Celetann has my pokeball, although I've no idea where her body ended up when she died with the rest of them.

Your instincts told you that he was being truthful; the edge from his voice was gone, and the stuffed pokemon had stopped shifting their weight around.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-05-18, 12:57 PM
I promise Agrador. We will be back and we will free you. Preferably without getting smacked by household furniture. Azal looked at her two companions with a bright smile. Off to the Forge then? We should stay low and off main roads, to avoid ... well basically everything. Uncharacteristically, Azal did not march off on her own, instead waiting to leave with her companions.

CosmicOccurence
2015-05-18, 01:17 PM
I promise Agrador. We will be back and we will free you. Preferably without getting smacked by household furniture. Azal looked at her two companions with a bright smile. Off to the Forge then? We should stay low and off main roads, to avoid ... well basically everything. Uncharacteristically, Azal did not march off on her own, instead waiting to leave with her companions.

You should also avoid releasing or recalling pokemon, or using symbol magic in any way until you get inside the Labyrinth. The armor rotoms can sense any usage of symbol magic and are attracted to it. Of course, you might end up finding one anyway, but no use in sending up a signal flare giving them your location.

Oh, and if you do end up fighting one. They're immune to any damage that doesn't affect our kind more than normal attacks. If any of you know the pokemon Shedinja, their armor gives them an ability similar to those pokemon. Such magic was not uncommon in the past, but now it is considered a rare thing. Killing them is a difficult prospect at best.

Arcran
2015-05-19, 02:10 PM
"Can we release Pokemon in here?" Ulric asks, a bit concerned. Flo only had a single attack that could likely hurt a suit of armor and she couldn't use it consistently. As much as he regretted it, he'd need to use Hari if they have to battle the suits.

CosmicOccurence
2015-05-19, 02:31 PM
"Can we release Pokemon in here?" Ulric asks, a bit concerned. Flo only had a single attack that could likely hurt a suit of armor and she couldn't use it consistently. As much as he regretted it, he'd need to use Hari if they have to battle the suits.

Their range is the entire city unfortunately. While the rotoms are accustomed to the occasional flashes of symbol magic from relics around the house, they would surely recognize a pokeball being released. Of course, if you encounter one of the creatures there's little point in avoiding attention, since they will know your location anyway.

Arcran
2015-05-25, 03:20 AM
"Of course," Ulric mutters, pulling the sword from its sheathe.

"No use in wasting time then. Thanks for the help, and we'll see about getting you out of here," the soldier states, taking a few steps towards the door before stopping and waiting for his companions.

Llyarden
2015-05-25, 03:46 AM
Mirisa glanced up to Djabe. At least she had the right Pokemon out for hurting ghosts. Of course, ghosts being ghosts, that also meant that the Armours would likely be able to hurt her right back. "I'm going to guess that the magic on my sword isn't going to help," she muttered, feeling rather shortchanged that her ghostbane blade wouldn't be able to hurt ghosts, before following Azal and Ulric.

CosmicOccurence
2015-05-25, 09:43 PM
It was midafternoon, and the sun felt warm. It was summer after all. The brightness came as a sharp contrast to inside. Even with the chandeliers and candles lit, the inside of the manor house had been much darker than it was outside. The wall to the labyrinth loomed in the distance, and the semi-ruined capitol building stood off in the distance. You would have to retrace your steps to get to the capital.

It takes 3 'units' of measurment to get to the wall and 2 'units' to get to the capitol (and another 2 from there to the wall).

For each 'unit' someone needs to roll 1d10 (can you guess what this is for now?) :smallcool:

MesiDoomstalker
2015-05-26, 09:38 PM
As Azal lead the way, taking caution to not use the larger streets, she corrected her companion. A common misconception, Rotom are not ghosts. Pranksters, tricksters and apparitions, yes, but not Ghosts. They are of the Fairy type and when they merge with an item, they gain a typing based on the characteristics of the item in question. In this case, they'd be a combination of Fairy and Steel. Most troublesome, that combination, with the Wonder Guard ability, makes them only vulnerable to Fire and Ground attacks and indirect damage.

[roll0]

A link to the Aatos Rotom's page (http://cosmicoccurence.wikidot.com/rotom), since Azal has already made the check for this info she would share with them as they travel to their destination.

Llyarden
2015-05-27, 07:10 AM
"Well, that's just even more unhelpful!" Mirisa complained. "Tour has a ground move, but beyond that I don't have anything and he's not out anyway. Oh, Djabe can burn them, but that'll take a while to do anything and she might be more useful in making us harder to hit. I hope one of you has something more helpful."

I was aware of that; I just wasn't sure whether or not the specific versions of the Rotoms were common knowledge and I don't recall Mirisa making a check to know about it. Ordinary Rotoms when not possessing anything are ghost-typed. Well, part ghost-typed at least.

Arcran
2015-05-27, 07:29 PM
"Two of mine have Ground attacks," Ulric rumbles, looking at Flo. "Flo may only use it once though, and I'd prefer to use my other as little as possible," Ulric says, hand drifting towards Hari's Pokeball. "I'm afraid that I will be next to useless against the constructs," the warrior adds, frowning at his sword. "I am unable to emulate those Moves and will be unable to punch through their defenses."

MesiDoomstalker
2015-05-27, 07:33 PM
Well, luckily, the technique I used to dispatch those Pidgeots is quite flexible in what it is and is not effective against. However, my munitions supply is limited. I can't take out an army. Especially if they have any tactical sense.

Llyarden
2015-05-28, 02:26 AM
Mirisa frowned. "I know the feeling," she sympathised to Ulric. "If we're fighting an army, I think we may as well switch our Pokemon around in any case, in which case it'll be less of a problem."

MesiDoomstalker
2015-06-05, 08:20 PM
True. But were not fighting anything, more less an army. Stay your hand till it is necessary.

Arcran
2015-06-07, 05:50 PM
"Enough talking," Ulric mutters, patting Flo on the side. "The longer we stay still, the easier it will be for the monsters to find us. We need to move."

CosmicOccurence
2015-06-08, 02:12 PM
As you crept through the city, sticking to backroads and ruins, the city remained unnaturally still. The limestone ruins were empty, devoid of any sort of life or habitation. The city's inner wall, the one that circled the Labyrinth, loomed above you as you slowly made your way toward the city's stomach. You could barely make out the nearly transparent domed barrier that hung over the inner wall, just like the one that circled the city proper.

You saw no signs of the armored rotoms until you were almost upon one of the giant gateways into the labyrinth. The wall was about 20 meters away, rising several stories into the air. Unlike the city, the wall was in perfect condition, not at all like the half collapsed buildings that you had been sneaking through to get here. The gate itself was a yawning maw with no door, no way to keep people in or out, but it was intimidating nonetheless.

You heard the suit of armor before you saw it. It leaped from a collapsed building to a segment of a wall and onto the balcony of an almost structurally sound home. It landed on the stone railing of the deck with ease, just as it had lightly leaped through the air. For a suit of armor it seemed ... graceful. It paused on the balcony and gazed into the opening of the Labyrinth, standing perfectly still with its back toward you. A large sword hung on its back.

As a frame of reference, there are three other gates to the labyrinth, but they're all rather far away. However, going to those is an option.

Just as a reminder if combat breaks out, please let me know your status (HP amounts, features that are in play such as inspired training, trained stats, all that jazz). The map is Here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x3W44NZ5w-tX2JhBM5ZKToxG0SgBJnJcr1TwyEkZwlo/edit#gid=0),

Arcran
2015-06-09, 07:47 PM
"If we kill it the others will know, correct?" Ulric whispers to their resident genius, locking eyes with Flo as he waits for an answer.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-06-09, 09:31 PM
I do not know. Relics exist that could do that, but I have no idea if the guards were enchanted as such. If only we had some Cleanse Tags! Then we could force it out of that suit of armor. It be much easier harming it without the Steel of the armor protecting it.

Do we want to risk blasting it? I can hit it with a Fire Judgment, but literally that's it without releasing a new mon and alerting the others.

Arcran
2015-06-16, 07:50 PM
"Unfortunately, it would seem none of us have a Cleanse Tag," the warrior states with a frown. "We should avoid the creature for now. Perhaps we will find something within the Forge to help us deal with them later."

Llyarden
2015-06-17, 05:11 AM
"It is looking in the direction we need to go," Mirisa pointed out in a whisper. "Avoiding it might be difficult unless it decides to leave. Should we move around the house so it can't just turn around and see us?" she suggested after a moment, indicating to the right.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-07-05, 01:06 PM
Azal exhaled exasperated, grabbing a random hunk of debris and pushing it into the lugs hands. Toss this thattaway. Create a distraction and we'll sneak in.

Arcran
2015-07-05, 04:30 PM
Ulric shrugs as he takes the stone before heaving it as far as he is able to the right of the armor, hoping for some kind of distraction.

CosmicOccurence
2015-07-11, 02:27 PM
At the noise of the rock crashing into the ground, the armored creature whipped its head around and leaped off the tree. It sped away, or at least until it was out of sight, and the coast was clear to the archway into the labyrinth.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-07-11, 02:31 PM
Azal took off, running in long loopy steps. She bolted into the intimidating building, rushing around the corner and slamming her back against the wall now no longer (easily) visible from the outside. She was panting heavily, it seems she wasn't used to running.

Arcran
2015-07-11, 09:44 PM
Without delay Ulric dashes forward as well, hand on the hilt of his greatsword, Flo close behind as the two dash towards the archway.

Llyarden
2015-07-12, 05:03 AM
Mirisa ran too, although her method of 'running' was closer to pouncing from place to place, taking a moment every so often to check that the Armour hadn't returned before continuing, keeping pace with the others. It could probably be assumed she'd done this sort of thing before.

CosmicOccurence
2015-07-13, 07:52 PM
As the last of you arrived at the slightly crumbling building, you saw the suit of armor leap over the horizon. Whatever that thing was, it wasn't acting like any heavily armored creature had any right to move. It was gone however, leaving the path to the strange archway clear.

Arcran
2015-07-16, 09:32 PM
Ulric quickly glances about once more before dashing towards the archway, Flo following without the need for an additional command.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-07-16, 09:47 PM
Azal fell in quick step behind the hulking mercenary. If he were to suddenly stop, she likely would collide with him, not that her petite frame would have affect on him.

CosmicOccurence
2015-07-21, 08:50 PM
As you entered the labyrinth, the sky suddenly darkened, and you weren't sure whether it came from a stray cloud wandering over the sun or whether the magic of the maze simply cast shadows in places otherwise sunny. The walls loomed over you, about three times Ulric's height. The walls were covered with swarms of shifting runes, which Azal immediately recognized as animated letters from the Old Script present throughout the rest of the area.

As you took your first steps in, the dark limestone wall of the labyrinth begun the creak and groan. It shifted suddenly, a path opening about fifty feet ahead of you where one didn't lie before, and you became aware of the constant dull groan of stones moving and shifting, grinding against themselves. The labyrinth was alive.

Navigating the Maze: There are several ways to navigate through the labyrinth, although they mostly rely on skill checks. In general, navigating the Labyrinth works on a 5/3 rule: if PCs get 5 successes before 3 failures, then they make it through the Labyrinth. However, there are other ways to make it through other than following the path.

Survival checks or Symbol magic checks (DC 14, need 5 wins before 3 losses). Every roll brings a chance of garnering the attention of the Labyrinth guardian.

Perception checks can lower or raise the DC by showing the flow of the script

Arcran
2015-07-22, 12:38 PM
"Lead the way," Ulric says to Azal, stepping aside to allow the more intelligent member choose the path. "Damn things mean nothing to me."

Llyarden
2015-07-22, 12:59 PM
Mirisa stalked behind Azal, still with her hand half on the hilt of her sabre until it became apparent that the armoured creature was not immediately returning. "I know a little about this stuff, but by all means go ahead, Azal," she said. "Maybe I can help with the easier bits."

If Assisted skill checks are allowed, Mirisa will do that, granting Azal a +2 to her Symbology checks and a +1 to her Perception checks (or, if only one is allowed, +2 to Symbology). Otherwise...well, she won't.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-07-23, 03:14 PM
Azal studied the runes for a few moments before gleefully rushing forward. Oh this is easy stuff! Might as well give me a map and a piece of string to follow!

CosmicOccurence
2015-07-27, 07:09 PM
The twisting labyrinth was no match for Azal, even when it shifted its body to open and close routes and whatever whimsy controlled the stones. Azal could even interpret the script to a point where she steered the team away from the Goodra that guarded the labyrinth. While you occasionally had to step over the slime trail that it left, the beast never appeared in front of you.

After about two hours of travel through the maze, night had fallen and you finally arrived at the entrance to the forge. On earth, it looked to be a giant spire that stood four or five stories in the air, completely undamaged like the city outside the labyrinth. However, your knowledge and conversations with Azal informed you that there was much more below the surface than there would be above it. While door inside was small and painted in a plain black without any runes, you could all feel the faint hum of powerful magic that saturated the building. Even as this city itself was a relic of the past, this was something else. Something powerful. Something that had changed the world.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-07-27, 07:25 PM
We should be close enough to use our apricorn's safely. The power here should mask its magical signature and the guardian Rotom's won't notice it. Azal grabbed Merry Weather's crystal, return the bird. So... who wants to go in first? Normally, Azal wouldn't be apprehensive. She'd be the first to take a step towards discovery. The magical presence here put her on edge and off kilter from her normal happy-go-lucky attitude.

Arcran
2015-07-27, 07:28 PM
"I've got it," Ulric states, striding forward confidently. Without a word he pushes on the door, one hand held on the pommel of his sword in case, well, he had to chop something in half.

CosmicOccurence
2015-08-02, 06:01 PM
The room that you entered was huge. No, huge was too small of a word: monolithic. While the building seemed large from the outside, it appeared many times larger once you entered, seeming to defy the rules of nature itself. The room was vast, its ceiling almost out of sight with obsidian pillars vaulting to the distant roof. A giant spiral of murals depicting majestic figures and legendary pokemon dominated the walls. Three towering doors, several times Ulric's size, dominated the space, with several smaller doors winging the circular structure. One of the towering doors stood behind you, the door seeming much, much larger than the one you had thought you walked through. A fountain dominated the center of the room, and various shops were erected to sell wares to any who might venture to this place. The air seemed to pulse with power.

Then the vision faded.

The murals were cracked and smashed. Two of the five pillars had toppled, leaving monstrously large hunks of black stone strewn across the floor as if they were playthings. Even the air was dead. The three doors remained as large as before, but their paint was chipped and peeling. The smaller doors were either broken or missing completely, leaving black caverns into the insides of the Forge's first level. The fountain was in pieces and there were no stalls or shops in sight.

Worst however, were the skeletons. They littered the floor, flesh long since stripped from their bones by the pokemon who called this place home. Some tatters of robes were visible, but none wore enough clothing to hide the grotesquely broken bodies mangled by whatever had caused the damage to this room.

With the fading of the vision came a growing chattering and, was that flapping? Despite the bodies on the ground, there was certainly something alive in this place.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-02, 06:57 PM
Of lovely. Of course, what ruins are not without squatters. Sir Reginald, I need you! Azal released the behemoth rex, before sprinting across the room towards the nearest of the fallen pillars, to hide amongst the wreckage.

If we have more time to act, she'll retrieve a Blue Shard. She currently is holding a Yellow Shard.

Arcran
2015-08-02, 07:02 PM
As Ulric walks into the room he is forced to remember just how small he is. It isn't often that the warrior felt diminutive compared to something, but this time certainly counted among those. And if the bodies on the floor were anything to go by, they were still far from safe.

"Flo, come back. I need Tax," the giant warrior states, pulling Liberator fully from its sheath as he releases Tax, stepping onto the Mantine's back almost immediately, ready to fly if required.

Llyarden
2015-08-03, 03:02 AM
Mirisa drew her sword as well, but unlike her companions, did not change Pokemon, content to keep Djabe with her for now. Like Azal, she moved to take cover behind one of the ruined pillars.

CosmicOccurence
2015-08-08, 04:24 PM
The source of the noise quickly became apparent as a cloud, yes a cloud, of golbats descended from the ceiling, where they had no doubt been sleeping in the dark alcoves of the roof. While they were smaller than others of their kind, they were just as aggressive and seemed ready to see if this was a potential meal or one of the many other predators that roamed these parts.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x3W44NZ5w-tX2JhBM5ZKToxG0SgBJnJcr1TwyEkZwlo/edit#gid=0) in case you'd lost the link. Place yourself near the broken collumns in the upper right corner near the door that you entered through. Update the initiative list accordingly please! Then, let the battle begin!

Welcome to the Forge.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-08, 05:59 PM
As Azal sat behind the pillars, she glowered at the oncoming swarm from around the corner. Sir Reginald, I need your assistance. as she released the behemoth adjacent to her. Azal began muttering under her breath, whilst making elaborate symbols in the air. The simple, rainbow colored hairdress on her head shown brightly as a rainbow shot out of it, cascading into the empty ruin. Strike them with your ancient fury Sir Reginald! The Tyrantrum roared a challenge as it charged forward. Glowing rocks materialized around his head, before rocketing towards the bulk of the swarm.

Azal is starting at AB7, and is not moving. She uses Rainbow Light (Standard Action - 2 AP). Until her next turn, all secondary effects of her Allies have a +3 effect range.
Using the top left corner as reference, Sir Reginald (SR) was released on square Z8, then moved to X8, then used Ancientpower on the swarm. Thanks to Ancient Heritage, it deals Physical Damage and consults Attack instead of Special.

Ancientpower vs. Golbat Swarm
Physical Ground
AC 2
16+ grants +1 all Stats
[roll0]
[roll1]
If it hits, Sir Reginald gains 1/8th of his Max HP as temporary hitpoints (due to Shell Bell)
I'm not sure how Moxie works with Swarms, but if I score a KO, he gains a +1 Attack if he KO's.
EDIT: Because the change in his speed stat due to Ancientpower, I changed the initative tracker to reflect this. Just note that this round, he acted AFTER Azal (initial speed 31), not before (new speed 38).

Llyarden
2015-08-09, 04:53 AM
Mirisa settled into a defensive stance and changed her mind after all. "Tour, I need you!" she called, hurling an Apricorn past Azal's Tyrantrum to release the Seismitoad.

Mirisa begins in AB7. Djabe begins above her but is immediately returned.

Mirisa's Shift: Flutter.
Mirisa's Standard: Switch Djabe for Tour, sending him out in W8, but he doesn't act for a little while.

Physical Evasion 3, Special Evasion 3, Speed Evasion 9 (+3 from Flutter)
Mirisa can't be Flanked (Flutter).

Tour: HP 129/129, Def 16, SpDef 16, Spd 15
Physical Evasion 4, Special Evasion 4, Speed Evasion 4 (+1 from Inspired Training)
Whenever someone misses Tour, he can Shift 1 square and increase his evasion by 1.

Arcran
2015-08-09, 07:45 PM
Ulric crouches even lower on Tax as he hears the screeches from the bats before flying forward, not wasting any time speaking as the warrior prepares to do what he does best. With a guttural cry Ulric swings his blade at the Golbat swarm, snarling as he brings his blade down. The giant of a man's vision go red as he settles into an all-to-familiar rage.

"Tax! Blast 'em!" Ulric cries, watching in satisfaction as the beam of ice flies forward.

10 DR, +1 Speed CS, +2 Attack CS

Ulric uses Rage! If it hits, Ulric will be triggering Push it to the Limit!
AC 3: [roll0], Critical 17+
Damage: [roll1] (1d8+6 (Base) + 35 (Attack) + 14 (Lessons in Pain and Rage + Push it to the Limit))
This attack ignores 6 Damage Reduction.

Ulric is Enraged!

Ulric uses Brutal Training on Tax as a Swift Action! (Commander's Voice)

Tax uses Ice Beam!
AC 2: [roll3] Freezes on 14+ (19+ base, 17+ Brutal Training and Orders, 14+ Rainbow Gem), Critical on 18+
Damage: [roll4] (2d10+10 (Base) + 43 (Special Attack))
Critical: [roll5]

I'm going to assume that, with the Swarm Mulitplier applied, both of those are hits.

Final Status:
Ulric: 127/141 HP, 8/10 AP, 5 Defense, 5 Special Defense, 24 Speed
15 DR, +1 Speed CS, +2 Attack CS, Enraged, 1 Injury, 14 Temporary Hit Points

CosmicOccurence
2015-08-10, 08:32 AM
The swarm, angered by the attacks, clumped together into a writhing mass of purple bodies. It sent a wave of sound, loud and disorienting, towards Ulric, leaving him Confused.

Tour is up!

Llyarden
2015-08-10, 09:49 AM
"Cool them off, Tour!" Mirisa cried, as the Seismitoad moved forwards and breathed out a chill wind towards the swarm, trying to cover a number of the diminuitive Golbats in rime.

Tour's Shift: Move to R9.
Tour's Standard: Icy Wind on the Swarm, positioning it so as to not strike Ulric or Tax.
Icy Wind (AC3): [roll0] Would poison on 16+, but they're presumably immune.
[roll1] Ice Special Area damage. Also lowers their Speed by 1 CS on a hit.

CosmicOccurence
2015-08-10, 10:15 AM
Already clustered, the swarm took significant damage from the burst of cold wind. Between this and the other attacks, a good portion of the bats had already fallen to the ground. They shrieked angrily and began to recollect themselves for another attack.

Due to the swarm mutiplier going down and them using a scene move, they have no more actions left this round. Thus, we return to the top of initiative

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-10, 10:56 AM
Sir Reginald growled in annoyance as the small people rushed forward. Now he couldn't charge forward without stomping on them! How inconsiderate! The rex stomped forward, circling around the annoying little people, wiggling and twisting his body to limber up and ignite a fire in his body. Azal hustled out of her hiding place, raising the shield above her head, hoping to guard herself from any potential attack.

Sir Reginald moves from X8 to P11 and used Dragon Dance.
Azal moves from AB7 to X8 and readied her shield, granting +6 evasion (instead of 2) and DR 15.
Her Evasion and DR for this round is +9 (all) and 20 respectively.

Arcran
2015-08-10, 10:04 PM
Ulric snarls at the sound, trying to swing his giant blade into the horde of Zubat once more, only to slip and slam his arm against his thigh. The warrior hardly felt the blow, but the distraction kept him from doing anything horribly useful at the moment.

Fortunately, Tax was more than capable of fighting without his Trainer directing his each and every move and, without wasting any time, launches a burst of aquatic energy into the swarm.

Tax uses Water Pulse!
AC 2: [roll0], Confuses on 14+, Critical 19+
Damage: [roll1] (2d8+10 (Base) + 43 (Special Attack))

Final Status:
Ulric: 127/141 HP, 8/10 AP, 5 Defense, 5 Special Defense, 24 Speed
15 DR, +1 Speed CS, +2 Attack CS, Enraged, 1 Injury, Confused, 1 Temporary Hit Point

Llyarden
2015-08-11, 02:36 AM
Mirisa moved, springing forwards to vault over the rubble and land on the other side of the swarm to Tour, blade still raised defensively.

Mirisa's Standard: Splash to jump 12m from AB7 to Q4.
Mirisa's Shift: Flutter.

Physical Evasion 3, Special Evasion 3, Speed Evasion 9 (+3 from Flutter)
Mirisa can't be Flanked (Flutter).

Physical Evasion 4, Special Evasion 4, Speed Evasion 4 (+1 from Inspired Training)
Whenever someone misses Tour, he can Shift 1 square and increase his evasion by 1.

CosmicOccurence
2015-08-11, 09:47 AM
The Golbats leap into action now that many individuals have come within its immediate reach. They launched a series of dive bomb attacks battering you with wings, claws, and harder than normal heads as they flipped their way forcefully through the air like a sea of shooting arrows. Tour took 54 Physical Flying Damage from the onslaught.

Tour's up!, then the rest of the golbats

Llyarden
2015-08-11, 10:24 AM
Tour weathered the innumerable blows about as well as could be expected, retaliating with a blast of water mixed in with the dirt of the floor.

Tour's Standard: Muddy Water. Which, regardless of what the character sheet says, is actually a Close Blast 2, so it can be positioned without hitting anyone other than the Swarm.
Muddy Water (AC5, lowers Accuracy 16+): [roll0]
[roll1] Water Special Area damage.

EDIT: My bad, damage should be 10 higher.

CosmicOccurence
2015-08-11, 10:36 AM
The swarm continued the acrobatic onslaught. While Mirsia and Ulric managed to avoid being hit by weaving through the bodies (Ulric in part due to his confused and stumbling gait), Tax was unable to avoid the blows and suffered 49 Physical Flying Damage

Initiative is up again! In order to speed things up a tad, I'm alright with Tour going before the first Golbat Swarm. Let's see how much we can streamline this battle -_-

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-11, 11:55 AM
Sir Reginald, if you would be so kind! Azal chirped as she trotted forward, frantically drawing glowing symbols onto the yellow shard. Reginald roared as more mystical rocks formed and flew at the swarm. Azal finished the symbol, which began to light with arcane power. Forcing her palm forward, the shard exploded into a staticy burst, arcing upward in streaks of electrical energy. The electrical power rained down onto the swarm, narrowly missing her allies.

Sir Reginald uses Ancientpower vs. Swarm.
AC 2 Physical Rock
18+ +1 all stats
[roll0]
[roll1]
Azal moved to U8
Azal used Fistful of Force to consume her Yellow Shard and used Electric-typed Judgment
Centered the 3m blast on 07. That should not hit any allies.
[roll2] AC 2 Special Electric, 3m Blast. Smite: deals 24 Special Electric damage on a miss.
[roll3]

Arcran
2015-08-13, 08:19 PM
As Tax is struck by the horde of Zubat Ulric snarls again, the pain of his Pokemon providing him just enough focus to punch through the disorienting sound. With a roar Ulric's sword suddenly becomes blue with flame, the giant of a man striking again and again into the swarm, sword seemingly everywhere.

Tax, ever the constant companion, quickly recovers from the Golbat's assault, firing forth another beam of ice into the swarm.

Time to kick some ass!

Ulric uses Outrage as a Standard Action!
AC 4: [roll0] Critical 17+, Smite
On hit, activating Push it to the Limit
Damage: [roll1] (4d10+15 (Base) + 35 (Attack) + 16 (Lessons in Pain and Rage and Push it to the Limit)
Ignores 6 DR. As it is an Area Attack, it should be one step more effective (1.5x) against the swarm.

Ulric uses Brutal Training as a Swift Action!

Tax uses Ice Beam!
AC 2: [roll3] Freezes on 15+ (19+ base, 17+ Brutal Training and Orders, 15+ Serene Grace), Critical on 18+
Damage: [roll4] (2d10+10 (Base) + 43 (Special Attack))
Critical: [roll5]

Final Status:
Ulric: 113/141 HP, 8/10 AP, 5 Defense, 5 Special Defense, 24 Speed
15 DR, +1 Speed CS, +2 Attack CS, Enraged, 2 Injuries, Confused, 15 Temporary Hit Point

Tax: 75/117 HP, 7 Defense, 12 Special Defense, 36 Speed, 40 Initiative

Llyarden
2015-08-14, 05:34 AM
Darting aside from the swarm's attacks, Mirisa moved again, diving through the middle of them, sabre held at her side to slice at the swarm as she moved, balancing precariously on the rubble before spinning in a strike with her sabre, hacking clean through the sharp stones and leaving a flat floor. Tour let out another blast of chilled air before stepping up to stand beside his Trainer.

Mirisa's AoO (AC3, crit 17+): [roll0]
[roll1] Normal Physical damage.
Mirisa's Spinning Dance: Move to P4
Mirisa's Full Action: Bounce. With 8 squares of movement, she moves around the Swarm (not provoking due to Run Away) and ends up in P9, using Flip Out to ignore the Sharp Debris and then destroy them.
Bounce (AC4, Paralyse natural 16+, +AP): [roll2]
Flying Physical Damage: [roll3]. On a hit, the Swarm becomes Vulnerable as well.

Tour's Standard: Icy Wind on the Swarm.
Icy Wind (AC3): [roll4]
[roll5] Ice Special Area damage. Also lowers by Speed 1CS on a hit.
Tour's Shift: Disengage to Q9.

Physical Evasion 3, Special Evasion 3, Speed Evasion 7 (+1 from Spinning Dance)

CosmicOccurence
2015-08-14, 07:30 PM
The onslaught of attacks was enough to bring the swarm to its knees, and the few that were still conscious quickly retreated to the loft areas. The indoor ruins fell silent once more.

Arcran
2015-08-14, 08:02 PM
As the battle ends Ulric's fury begins to ebb slightly, the giant of a man holding his greatsword in one hand as he looks at his companions.

"Forward?" the warrior asks, looking over Tax to make sure his companion had avoided any permanent damage.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-14, 08:10 PM
Yes. Some caution. I do not doubt the other intruders will be ahead of us and have disturbed any residents that still reside here.

Arcran
2015-08-14, 08:13 PM
Ulric looks at the two paths forward, scanning the room. The pillars and murals meant nothing to him, although perhaps their resident translator would make more sense of it?

"Murals mean anything to you?" Ulric asks, doing his best to scan the room and find something simple. "If not, we just take the path with less skeletons."

Llyarden
2015-08-15, 06:19 AM
"Less skeletons sounds promising," Mirisa remarked, cleaning her sword with a rag she apparently kept in her pocket for this purpose and giving a cursory glance over the wounds Tour had sustained. After a moment's consideration, she returned him again and brought Djabe back out, taking advantage of the ghost's ability to see in the dark alongside her own.

CosmicOccurence
2015-08-16, 08:55 AM
The least number of skeletons seemed to be by the farthest of the large doors, the one whose base was down a short flight of steps instead of on the main level of the building.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-16, 10:07 AM
Azal skirted around the central fountain, taking in the faded murals on the walls.

General on murals and their meaning! [roll0]

CosmicOccurence
2015-08-16, 11:10 AM
While it was hard to make out what exactly was on the walls because of the distance and several missing chunks from each, they seemed to be narrating both the creation of Aatos and how the Vardamir Empire rose to power. Some were of war, many of taming pokemon, and many more of the great magics that they were able to work: of flying cities and resplendent armor.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-16, 11:21 AM
I'll be honest, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I don't know where to go. So, the less danger-apparent path it is. Looking towards the body-light entrance before stepping towards it unsure.

Arcran
2015-08-16, 11:43 AM
Ulric nodded as Azal confirmed they had no truly better path at this point before striding towards the "safer" door, walking fast enough to end up ahead of Azal before slowing slightly, keeping his head on a swivel.

Llyarden
2015-08-16, 12:05 PM
"Well, now you know how the rest of us feel," Mirisa said with a slight smile, following after Ulric and keeping up a rearguard in case the Golbats came back, Djabe floating over her head.

CosmicOccurence
2015-08-16, 02:01 PM
As you descended the stairs, you noticed several things about the door. The door itself was labeled in bold letters with 'ACADEMIA'. At the bottom of the steps, right next to the arching black door was a mural that you hadn't seen with the general glance around the room. It was intact as well, which was another oddity. It showed the five legendary birds in a ring, beaks touching tails, with a starburst pattern inside of the ring.

On the opposite side of the door, a series of th emoving letters scrambled themselves into a cloud of black lines before separating into the following sequence:

http://i.imgur.com/0QnNXVW.png?1

A stone basin filled with small chips engraved with letters in the same ancient language. Just underneath the odd letters were slots in the wall no doubt meant to place letters in. It looked like they could hold anywhere from 6-8 letters.

Note that the three !!! indicate a line break. I couldn't get the program to do exactly what I wanted it to so I had to improvise.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-16, 11:17 PM
Azal ran up to the mural, examining its detail and craftmenship. She mumbled to herself mental notes, before she stared enthralled by the black lines. These letters... hold on, let me translate. Withdrawing a book, she began transcribing, flipping through another as she referenced some kind of self-made dictionary. In a few minutes she placed her quill down, staring at the translated passage in her book.

Birthed in Flames.
My wing heat the sky
A Beacon of the sun

Azal snorted, almost indignant, sounding insulted. If this is supposed to be some kind of puzzle, or riddle, its a poor one. Moltres was born in a volcano. Birthe in flames. He signals the rise of summer. MY wing heat the sky. And is associated with the sun. A beacon of the sun. Its so obvious! You are disappointing me, Varadmir! The researcher sifted through the basin in search of specific chips, before slotting them into the wall.

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=33295128http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20141206092654/pokemon/images/3/3b/201Unown_O_Dream.pnghttp://www.pokemasters.net/pokedex/thumb.php?src=/pokedex/images/pokemon/201011.png&w=200px&h=200pxhttp://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20141206092828/pokemon/images/0/08/201Unown_T_Dream.pnghttp://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20141206092750/pokemon/images/2/2a/201Unown_R_Dream.pnghttp://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20141206092454/pokemon/images/c/ce/201Unown_E_Dream.pnghttp://static.pokemonpets.com/images/monsters-images-300-300/4219-Unown-S.png
I couldn't figure out how you saved the pic for that unown text generator, so I improvised.

CosmicOccurence
2015-08-17, 07:37 PM
With a groaning CRUNCH the doors slowly openend at an agonizingly slow pace. Finally the doors revealed a steep staircase, shrouded in darkness with no lights, leading down to the Abyss.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-17, 08:18 PM
Azal dug through her pack once more, organzing her notes quickly before pulling out a set of googles made of what seemed to be Jet (http://www.perlesandco.co.uk/images/cabochons/4327/jet40/im-Swarovski_4327_Pear_Fancy_Stone_40x27mm_Jet.jpg) crystal. She removed the garish tiara she was wearing and donned to the googles. Looking at her campaigns, she beamed a big smile. Ready for the darky spooky cave? The spooky was clearly sarcastic.
Swapped her Rainbow Gem tiara for her Nightvision Googles. This does lower her speed stat by 5 points.

Arcran
2015-08-17, 08:27 PM
"Magic doors, magic armor, hell, even probably magic magic. Would it kill them to have made magic lights?" Ulric mutters, pulling out his flashlight and taking point once more.

Llyarden
2015-08-18, 05:05 AM
From one of her pockets, Mirisa pulled out a rune-stitched eyepatch and slipped it over one eye, blinking as she got used to the black-and-white illumination it gave her. "As opposed to, say, magic made from bits of wood?" she remarked to Ulric, following into the darkened staircase.

Technically Mirisa has been wearing her darkvision goggles the whole time...but I kinda forgot about them, so I'll just say she puts them on now.

CosmicOccurence
2015-08-19, 08:25 PM
Between the flashlight and darkvision capabilities, you noticed several crystals in the wall similar to others that brought light. However, each individual crystal had been cracked or crushed with no damage to the rest of the wall. The staircase continued for long time, descending nearly straight down.

Eventually however, it ended in another black door, much smaller than the last one. When you try the handle (if you try the handle), you notice that the door is locked.

Arcran
2015-08-19, 08:26 PM
"They broke the magic lights. That's not ominous at all," Ulric mutters, continuing the age-old tradition of soldiers griping.

When they finally reach the door, Ulric sizes it up and down, unsure exactly what to do with it.

"Anybody know how to pick a lock?" the titan of a man asks, already getting a good footing to try to cleave the door in half.

Llyarden
2015-08-20, 05:40 AM
"I can have a go," Mirisa offered, squeezing past the big man and pulling a couple of thin blades from one of her many pockets. "The perils of a misspent youth," she added with a slight smile, taking a moment to check there weren't any obvious traps to deter would-be thieves before getting to work.

Stealth is used for picking locks, I believe, and I'll spend an AP: [roll0]

CosmicOccurence
2015-08-20, 10:35 AM
It took you a while of jiggling with your picks, but you eventually heard the faint click of the lock opening.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-15, 10:55 PM
Perfect! Onward fellows! Azal barges through the door, caution to the wind.

Arcran
2015-09-16, 01:31 PM
"Always onward," Ulric mutters, putting himself in front of Azal.