PDA

View Full Version : Original System The MULTIVERSE System (2d8; Still WIP; PEACH)

Ralcos
2015-02-20, 02:22 PM
A little while back, I asked questions about designing a simplistic 2d8 game system, and I wanted more feedback/advice/criticism on my ideas for this system.

What I have so far (still WIP):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MF-k1bmxVWK5AUEIBGY_Tfgvsf6Q4KoE8lAhSOBNV-Q/edit?usp=sharing

So, any feedback/advice/criticism?

Secondary link for my reasons for designing this game:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?396478-2d8-RPG-Game-(Basic-Ideas-WIP)-(PEACH)

Ralcos
2015-02-22, 03:52 PM
V0.1.1 ---- Added a lot more Talents.

Ralcos
2015-03-02, 08:28 PM
*Casts Thread Necromancy so people can see.*

JBPuffin
2015-03-02, 10:09 PM
Hiya! The link appears to be broken - when was the document last changed? You may have to reshare it.

Hytheter
2015-03-02, 10:33 PM
If you copy and paste the adress into your url bar it'll work, but yeah clicking the link does nothing.

Ralcos
2015-03-03, 01:54 AM
Whoops!
Updated URL to actually work. Sorry 'bout that!

GGambrel
2015-03-03, 09:26 PM
I was disappointed that the section on Encounters was not written yet. I think it would go a long way toward showing how your game would feel different than D&D or another RPG.

Am I understanding your talent/class system correctly in that it encourages "dipping" a bit into secondary and tertiary classes as your primary class's features get more expensive? That is something I think seems pretty interesting.

Your difficulty scales seem a bit off to me. 25 is listed as 'Nigh-Impossible' but if attributes can go up to 8 without racial modifiers and skill can reach 9, then you only need to roll an 8+ on 2d8 (which happens over 50% of the time) to succeed on a 'Nigh-Impossible' task. Granted you may not intend for any character to be able to have a maxed attribute and skill at once, but I suspect some players would aim to accomplish this. I recommend making 'Nigh-Impossible' refer to tasks which can only be completed by nearly maxed-out characters whose players roll a 16, perhaps DC=30.

To help discourage players from maxing out a particular attribute, you might consider making the AP cost increase more for higher attribute scores (much like how point buys work).

Ralcos
2015-03-04, 12:03 AM
I was disappointed that the section on Encounters was not written yet. I think it would go a long way toward showing how your game would feel different than D&D or another RPG.

Am I understanding your talent/class system correctly in that it encourages "dipping" a bit into secondary and tertiary classes as your primary class's features get more expensive? That is something I think seems pretty interesting.

Your difficulty scales seem a bit off to me. 25 is listed as 'Nigh-Impossible' but if attributes can go up to 8 without racial modifiers and skill can reach 9, then you only need to roll an 8+ on 2d8 (which happens over 50% of the time) to succeed on a 'Nigh-Impossible' task. Granted you may not intend for any character to be able to have a maxed attribute and skill at once, but I suspect some players would aim to accomplish this. I recommend making 'Nigh-Impossible' refer to tasks which can only be completed by nearly maxed-out characters whose players roll a 16, perhaps DC=30.

To help discourage players from maxing out a particular attribute, you might consider making the AP cost increase more for higher attribute scores (much like how point buys work).

I am working on ideas for that. I agree that the Nigh-Impossible DC needs to be higher.

To clarify, ALL Talents increase in Experience Point cost as you "dip" into multiple paths of abilities/powers/etc.

I was also thinking of just having an Energy resource that goes alongside Hit Points, covering for complex battle maneuvers, special abilities, and casting spells. I could also use this for nonlethal damage.
If this pool goes below half, you are considered Fatigued (-2 to every check until you regain more than 1/2 of your energy) and if this pool reaches 0, you are considered Exhausted (-4 to every check until you regain at least 1 Energy).
Anything below 0 Energy, and you are Unconscious.

E.G.
Power Attacking with a melee weapon takes 1 point of energy for every 1 extra damage dealt with said melee attack.

Ralcos
2015-03-04, 02:25 AM
V0.1.2 is now complete!
I added the equipment section (which includes just armor and weapons, as it is) and made changes and additions based on suggestions.

GGambrel
2015-03-04, 08:53 AM
To clarify, ALL Talents increase in Experience Point cost as you "dip" into multiple paths of abilities/powers/etc.

An example might help illustrate exactly what you mean with this. I've considered a few possibilities, but I'm still not quite sure.

Do earlier talents act as prerequisites for later talents, or is it possible to only spend EXP on skills until it seems economical to jump straight to Mythic?

I think the attribute costs look better. Though difficulty DCs are maybe still a bit weird (though improved). Maybe you should specify the DC by who would find the task challenging or something. As it stands, a starting character will probably never be able to complete a 'Challenging' action, which seems like it should be labelled 'Nigh-Impossible' for that particular character. Players might be discouraged when their characters fail at 'Easy' tasks...

Just some thoughts! :smallsmile:

Ralcos
2015-03-05, 04:02 PM
An example might help illustrate exactly what you mean with this. I've considered a few possibilities, but I'm still not quite sure.

Do earlier talents act as prerequisites for later talents, or is it possible to only spend EXP on skills until it seems economical to jump straight to Mythic?

You were right the first time.
To buy Talents, you must first buy the Class's Beginner Talent. Then you can buy talents of the next higher Tier. You buy at least one Talent from a previous Tier before buying Talents from a later Tier. ALL named Talents must be taken IN ORDER

e.g.
A player who is playing a Viking-esque character, and buys the Combat Training Talent, opening the next Tier of Talents. After gaining some Experience Points, he then buys the Rage and Weapon Specialization I (Axe) Talents. He can THEN save up any earned Experience Points to buy any Apprentice Tier Talents.

I think the attribute costs look better. Though difficulty DCs are maybe still a bit weird (though improved). Maybe you should specify the DC by who would find the task challenging or something. As it stands, a starting character will probably never be able to complete a 'Challenging' action, which seems like it should be labelled 'Nigh-Impossible' for that particular character. Players might be discouraged when their characters fail at 'Easy' tasks...

Just some thoughts! :smallsmile:

Okay, maybe I should make a more basic DC table and focus on explaining an example task with that DC? Like in D&D 3.5?

Sorry for not updating regularly. I'm stressed about moving, and I'm not necessarily thinking straight.

Ralcos
2015-03-05, 04:51 PM
Updated! Added a few more talents, and began the subchapter for calculating more of the minor numbers.