PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Building Wonderland

Oudyn
2015-02-20, 03:42 PM
Hello, guys! So, I've been trying to stat the various characters of Alice in Wonderland as Pathfinder NPC's. I've decided to average them at CR 9-12, Exceptional Outliers nonwithstanding.

Here's what I've got so far:

Mad Hatter - Fey-Touched Human Vivisectionist, dual wields vorpal scissors (Daggers), CN

March Hare - Werehare? Brawler, unarmed, CN

Cheshire Cat - Fey Creature Blink Dog Sorcerer, Illusion Focus, CN

White Rabbit - ???

Queen of Hearts - Elf Cleric/Oracle, CE

Knave of Hearts - Fey Touched Human Assassin, CE (A Darker Mad Hatter, if you will)

White Queen - Elf Cleric/Oracle, CN or CG

Caterpillar - Behir

Jabberwock - ADVANCED ETERNAL MYTHIC RED DRAGON (No, the Jabberwock is A Jabberwock. Actually, Maybe a Lesser one, but still.)

Any suggestions or idead would be most appreciated!

KrimsonNekros
2015-02-20, 03:50 PM
Which wonderland?

Oudyn
2015-02-20, 03:55 PM
Which wonderland?

Hmm... Good Question. I'd say Burton, maybe with a little bit of McGee/Madness Returns thrown in there. As charming as the original and Disney ones are, they aren't hugely suited for combat.

Ephemeral_Being
2015-02-20, 04:15 PM
I assume you've already seen Dungeonland, yes? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeonland)

If not, that might give you some ideas.

Oudyn
2015-02-20, 04:17 PM
I assume you've already seen Dungeonland, yes? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeonland)

If not, that might give you some ideas.

Yep, I have. It's where I got the idea for the Behir Caterpillar. But I haven't been able to find an actual set of stats for anything from Dungeonland, so I have no idea what route they went with, say, Hatter or Hare.

Edit: Found PDF of Dungeonland, will read through.

Arbane
2015-02-20, 05:58 PM
Edit: Found PDF of Dungeonland, will read through.

A little warning: I think that was a tournament module, hence its Everything Is Trying to Kill You design. Probably not suitable for a game with characters anyone wants to play twice.

Thurbane
2015-02-20, 07:51 PM
There was also a sequel module:

The Land Beyond the Magic Mirror (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Land_Beyond_the_Magic_Mirror)

...I own an original copy of Dungeonland, but I've not read LBtMM.

Spore
2015-02-20, 11:10 PM
White Rabbit - ???

I feel it's only a silent image. Or an awakened bunny illusionist. Your choice.

Queen of Hearts - Elf Cleric/Oracle, CE

Barbarian 1/Battle Oracle 5/Rage Prophet

Or Aberrant Bloodrager (she has no normal anatomy and I couldn't think about a situation where you could apply normal debuffs to a talking card)

avr
2015-02-20, 11:39 PM
For the Jabberwock, someone was wanting a CR13-15 version once & I suggested a Lunar Dragon as having appropriate flavor, & they apparently liked the idea.

For the Queen, she likes killing people and giving orders. A Juju mystery Oracle can dominate people at this level, and has a reason to want adventurers dead - so she can get competent Juju zombies.

Oudyn
2015-02-21, 01:09 PM
Ooh, very neat ideas!
Jabberwock as a Lunar Dragon would probably work out well (Maybe with the Feral Dragon template and DR/Vorpal), and I love the idea of making the queen something nasty and unexpected like a Juju Oracle or an Aberrant Bloodrager!

Thanks Guys!

Renen
2015-02-21, 07:37 PM
Fabulous cats online article has Cheshire Cat as a creature.

Oudyn
2015-02-21, 09:32 PM
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Let's start of with the greatest monster Wonderland has to offer, the herald of the end, the Jabbberwock.
Got it down to CR 14. Pretty darn overstatted though, even as a dragon and a boss. Used a Feral Mighty Lunar Dragon. Removed some Mighty Template obscenity in exchange for abilities from the Jabberwock classic. What do you guys think?

WONDERLAND JABBERWOCK CR 14
XP 25,600
CE Huge dragon
Init +8; Senses dragon senses, see in darkness; Perception +28
Aura alien presence (180 ft., DC 28)
DEFENSE
AC 30, touch 11, flat-footed 24 (–3 Dex, +19 natural, –2 size, +6 dodge)
hp 382 (16d12+288)
Fort +22, Ref +12, Will +19
Defensive Abilities DR 20/vorpal, 5/-; Immune cold, paralysis, sleep; SR 21
OFFENSE
Speed 70 ft., burrow 20 ft., fly 200 ft. (poor)
Melee bite +29 (2d8+19), 2 claws +29 (2d6+15), 2 wings +27 (2d6+11), tail slap +27 (2d8+19)
Space 15 ft.; Reach 10 ft. (15 ft. with bite)
Special Attacks burble (60 foot line, 12d8 sonic, DC 28), crush, moonsilver, burble

STATISTICS
Str 31, Dex 5, Con 24, Int 5, Wis 18, Cha 21
Base Atk +16; CMB +33; CMD 40 (44 vs. trip)
Feats Dazing Assault, Dodge, Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Power Attack, Toughness, Wingover
Skills Bluff +17, Diplomacy +29, Fly +13, Intimidate +29, Knowledge (arcana, local,) +17, Perception +28, Sense Motive +28, Languages Aklo, Common, Draconic, Gnome, Sylvan
SQ no breath, starflight
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Moonsilver (Ex)
A Jabberwock's natural weapons are treated as silver for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Reflected Light (Ex)
A Jabberwock can't be blinded or dazzled by bright light or patterns.
Alien Presence (Su)
A Jabberwock's alien presence affects opponents that fail their saves as touch of idiocy (or as feeblemind for creatures with 4 or fewer Hit Dice) for 5d6 rounds. This is a mind-affecting compulsion effect.
Burble (Su)
A jabberwock can burble once every 1d4 rounds as a standard action. This blast of strange noises and shouted nonsense in the various languages known to the jabberwock (and invariably some languages it doesn’t know) affects all creatures within a 60-foot-radius spread—these creatures must make a DC 28 Will save or become confused for 1d4 rounds. Alternatively, the jabberwock can focus its burble attack to create a 60-foot line of sonic energy that deals 12d8 points of sonic damage (DC 28 Reflex save for half). The confusion effect is mind-affecting; both are sonic effects. The save DC is Charisma-based.
Whiffling (Ex)
A jabberwock’s wings and violent motions create a significant amount of wind whenever it makes a full attack action. These winds surround the monster to a radius of 30 feet, and are treated as severe winds—ranged attacks take a –4 penalty when targeting a jabberwock while it is whiffling, and medium creatures must make a DC 10 Strength check to approach the creature. Small or smaller creatures in this area that fail a DC 15Strength check are blown away. See weather for further details on the effects of severe winds.
Fear of Vorpal Weapons (Ex)
A jabberwock knows that a vorpal weapon can kill it swiftly. As soon as it takes damage from a vorpal weapon, a jabberwock becomes shaken for 1 round. If it is hit by a critical threat from a vorpal weapon, whether or not the critical hit is confirmed, the jabberwock is staggered for 1 round.
Planar Acclimation (Ex)
A jabberwock is always considered to be on its home plane, regardless of what plane it finds itself upon. It never gains the extraplanar subtype.

atemu1234
2015-02-21, 10:29 PM
I hope you don't plan on making a map of the world- unless you're familiar with 5d diagramming.

Oudyn
2015-02-22, 12:09 AM
I hope you don't plan on making a map of the world- unless you're familiar with 5d diagramming.

What? No, I'm not going to map Wonderland any time soon. I'm just statting the inhabitants.

aspekt
2015-02-22, 01:02 PM
I thought the White Rabbit and the March Hare were the same individuality under different guises.

weckar
2015-02-23, 07:08 AM
Maybe the vorpal scissors are a bad idea, if only for the real world origin of the word 'vorpal'...

Oudyn
2015-02-23, 12:18 PM
Maybe the vorpal scissors are a bad idea, if only for the real world origin of the word 'vorpal'...

All sources I can find say "Vorpal" comes from Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky poem in Through the Looking Glass. The vorpal scissors were intended to be an allusion to the vorpal blade that slew the Jabberwock in the poem. Now of course, is the Mad Hatter going to kill a Jabberwock? Unlikely. He might try, if it interrupts his tea. But it's more likely the vorpal scissors are there for making Jabberwock hide hats or some such (Pesky buggers have DR/Vorpal).