PDA

View Full Version : What to do if I get Uncanny Dodge from 2 Different Classes

Leathros
2015-02-20, 04:09 PM
Going with a Swift Ambusher, and got Uncanny Dodge Twice, is there a legal way to chose something else instead of that feat? I know about the Alternate Class Features, but I don't reach lvl 8 In rogue classes, to get it

Thurbane
2015-02-20, 04:23 PM
I might be misunderstanding the question, but doesn't getting Uncanny Dodge from two different sources turn it into Improved Uncanny Dodge?

Leathros
2015-02-20, 04:37 PM
You sir, are correct!

Thank you.

Gwachitallemall
2015-02-20, 04:39 PM
That's correct. I double checked both scout and rogue (The two classes he has, from previous posts) and they both have the improved uncanny dodge stipulation. (Scout says see barbarian, who has it.)

Curmudgeon
2015-02-20, 05:12 PM
Scout Uncanny Dodge is a superior ability to the version Rogues and Barbarians get.
Starting at 2nd level, a scout cannot be caught flat-footed and reacts to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. Other than this importance difference, it works like the Barbarian or Rogue ability:
At 2nd level, a barbarian retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a barbarian already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead. Never being flat-footed means the Scout can ignore flat-footed-specific abilities (Iaijutsu Focus, for one). The Barbarian or Rogue is vulnerable, even though they retain their DEX bonus to AC.

LooseCannoneer
2015-02-20, 10:59 PM
So, I guess the next logical question is, what happens if you get Improved Uncanny Dodge from two sources?

Curmudgeon
2015-02-21, 12:01 AM
So, I guess the next logical question is, what happens if you get Improved Uncanny Dodge from two sources?
It's purely a waste, because there's nothing after that ability. Look for ACFs which trade Uncanny Dodge away instead, like Uncanny Bravery.

Crake
2015-02-21, 12:27 AM
It's purely a waste, because there's nothing after that ability. Look for ACFs which trade Uncanny Dodge away instead, like Uncanny Bravery.

Well, not quite entirely a waste, the class levels still stack for the purposes of determining the rogue level necessary to be able to flank you.

Curmudgeon
2015-02-21, 01:00 AM
Well, not quite entirely a waste, the class levels still stack for the purposes of determining the rogue level necessary to be able to flank you.
They do that if you get Uncanny Dodge from two sources, because whichever one is second will be automatically promoted to Improved Uncanny Dodge. Gaining Improved Uncanny Dodge a second time has no additional benefit. Accordingly, I recommend finding an ACF to trade away one of those. Uncanny Bravery (Dragon Magic, page 14) will replace your worthless second Improved Uncanny Dodge for something useful.

Gwachitallemall
2015-02-21, 01:14 AM
So why does the scout reference a completely inferior ability in the full text?

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a scout cannot be caught flat-footed and reacts to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. See the barbarian class feature, page 26 of the Player's Handbook.

Just a weird note to put there.. IF they wanted it to be a superior ability.

Curmudgeon
2015-02-21, 07:32 AM
So why does the scout reference a completely inferior ability in the full text?

Just a weird note to put there.. IF they wanted it to be a superior ability.
That first line specifies what's different about Scout Uncanny Dodge; the rest is just what the other classes get, so why write the whole thing out again?

Gwachitallemall
2015-02-21, 08:48 AM
That first line specifies what's different about Scout Uncanny Dodge; the rest is just what the other classes get, so why write the whole thing out again?

Ah. Makes sense then. Throw me off looking at it.