PDA

View Full Version : OGL/d20 Books you liked and used

Yora
2015-02-20, 04:11 PM
There's always plenty of talk how there were lots books released with the d20 label, but which were generally considered pretty bad, and more recently there's the whole OSR thing which is also enabled by the OGL.

I was wondering, out of this supposedly huge pile of terrible releases, which gems have you found that you actually liked, used, and consider quite good. For practical reasons let's exclude Pathfinder here, as it has been pretty firmly established that this product line has been commercially successful and gained a huge and pretty stable following of fans.

I really quite love the Midnight setting. It's a setting that got over half a dozen of books and quite specifically meant to be played with D&D 3rd edition. It has a new magic system and prestige classes, as well as some feats and spells, but leaves all the basics to the "standard rules". Pretty much everyone who knows this setting and described it calls it "Imagine if Sauron had won." The good gods had cast the Evil God out of heaven, but had not anticipated that this violation of the cosmic order completely shut down all the borders between the different worlds and had the Evil God land in the world of mortals. With the other gods having no way to interfer in the world of mortals, he could do whatever he wanted. Which was to gather all orcs and goblins under him and conquer the rest of the world. In more detail, I've seen people describe the setting as a fantasy world modeled after Eastern Europe under Nazi occupation. There are some kind of minor witches and druids, but all clerics serve the Evil God. Really quite cool and I think the descision to make the books as addons to the D&D rulebooks was quite wise.

I am also a fan of the Conan d20 game, though I feel very ambigous about it. I think there were like 20 books or so for it, and many of them quite great. The second edition (based on 3.5e) has really excelent production values. The only real problem I have with the game is that Conan (and the Sword & Sorcery genre in general) are very unsuited for the d20 system. Or the other way round, the d20 system is a rather poor choice to make a Conan game. All the classes are a bit different and magic is very different, but under the hood it's the old thing with 20 character levels, BAB, skills, and feats.
But I very much love the setting books for the game. The crunch can easily be ignored with them.

The last campaign I ran was using Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea, which I think is very close to AD&D 1st edition without dwarves and elves and using much better math and editing. There is however virtually nothing of the d20 SRD in this game. Perhaps my favorite version of D&D, but I still left it behind, really having had enough of that magic system.

Red Tide is possibly the best book I've ever read on the subject of creating campaign settings for actual play. It's technically for Labyrinth Lord, but only 43 out of 171 pages have any crunch on them and all of it is very easily translated to any OSR or d20 game. Half of the book is presenting the outline for a specific setting in broad strokes (and it's quite an interesting one), which the other half is about filling in the details. Either in the Red Tide setting or any other. Great book, love it very much. This one could easily have been made and released without OGL at all, simply by stating "use whatever class or spell fits best with your rules system" instead of naming one from Labyrinth Lords.

Kaun
2015-02-20, 04:30 PM
Yeah Midnight is the obvious answer...

I also enjoyed Dragonstar (https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/dragonstar/?section=support). Setting was a lot of fun, i don't remember them adding much to the crunch side of d20 though.

BWR
2015-02-20, 04:39 PM
Fantasy Flight Games' Dragonstar setting. D&D in space. Lasers, robots, starships, fireballs, demons, aliens, and dragons ruling an interstellar empire instead of hiding in caves waiting to be killed and looted.
The core books did an excellent job of painting a vast and ancient empire (some 5000 years old) slowly expanding through the galaxy in broad strokes. Enough to fire the mind and get the creative juices flowing and give a rough framework for your games but leaving enough blank spaces for you to fill in with almost whatever you wanted. It was a setting that immediately lent itself to lots of different types of games. Classic Traveller/Firefly, Shadowrun, Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, GoT style intrigue, Star Trek (exploration, DS9 or B5 style politics), SW type rebellion, SF military stories; the list goes on.
Tons of cool ideas, tons of fun new equipment, new races (sentient oozes and sentient rock crystals, to name my favorites), awesome paladin and Blackguard orders (seriously, why don't more settings make an effort to make cool paladin orders like DS?), etc. etc.

I also generally liked Malhavoc Press' stuff. I didn't use all of their products but enough, especially Hyperconscious. I really wanted to find a way to fit Chaositech in my games but Dragonstar died before I could do that and it hasn't been appropriate in my Mystara game.

Solaris
2015-02-20, 10:11 PM
I liked the Starship Troopers, World of Warcraft, and Iron Kingdoms d20 books/settings.

Gritmonger
2015-02-20, 10:31 PM
I liked the Starship Troopers, World of Warcraft, and Iron Kingdoms d20 books/settings.

I might have enjoyed Starship Troopers, but there were a few - flaws - in the scenarios provided with Starship Troopers - such that we entered a cave to take out a Plasma Bug, only to end up with (because of d20 + "Colossal" size) the rather short-necked Plasma Bug having a 15' reach (scenario declares it's immobile), and it turns out couldn't have even been in the cave with us - it would have been the cave, but it was indicated with a tiny dot.

Solaris
2015-02-21, 09:53 AM
I might have enjoyed Starship Troopers, but there were a few - flaws - in the scenarios provided with Starship Troopers - such that we entered a cave to take out a Plasma Bug, only to end up with (because of d20 + "Colossal" size) the rather short-necked Plasma Bug having a 15' reach (scenario declares it's immobile), and it turns out couldn't have even been in the cave with us - it would have been the cave, but it was indicated with a tiny dot.

I mostly just ignored their scenarios and went with my own. I don't think I actually looked at any of them closely enough to notice; I'm so used to published scenarios/modules being lousy that I skipped 'em save for skimming for ideas to mine for my own implementation.
Mostly I liked the setting, and how they combined the book, TV show, and even the movies into one.

AquaLord
2015-02-23, 01:59 PM
I remember the wheel of time RPG being pretty good and did really well at evoking the feel of the books with the magic system

BWR
2015-02-23, 04:04 PM
I remember the wheel of time RPG being pretty good and did really well at evoking the feel of the books with the magic system

Really? I felt (and still feel) it was a terrible attempt at representing Channeling. They could easily have come up with a skills/feats variant that worked similar to Ars Magica or even WoD's Mage games and it would have been far better.