PDA

View Full Version : Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde

WeaselGuy
2015-02-20, 05:54 PM
Hey guys, just a heads up, this adventure module is available free from WotC on their dndclassics webpage, until midnight.

Here's the link to it, in case y'all wanna snag it. (http://www.dndclassics.com/product/54405/The-Shattered-Gates-of-Slaughtergarde-35?term=shattered+gates)

For anybody that has used it before, or for anyone who takes a look at it, what do you think of it? What do you think about the Prestige Classes in the Player's Guide that comes with it?

That is all. Hope you enjoy :smallsmile:

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-02-20, 07:22 PM
Thanks! ______

Blackhawk748
2015-02-20, 07:26 PM
Never done it, heard of it, always up for a free Module.

sakuuya
2015-02-20, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the heads-up! I'm not familiar with this module adventure either, but I grabbed it and am looking forward to reading it.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-20, 08:37 PM
Read the opening blurb, oh by Obad Hai, it sounds like fun.

Coidzor
2015-02-20, 10:00 PM
Well, now I can see some of what all of the hubbub was about. :smallsmile:

Amphetryon
2015-02-20, 11:20 PM
Twisted Lord is fun; I've used it in an Iron Chef. Solar Channeler is not nearly as exciting or interesting as one would hope, given the name.

WeaselGuy
2015-02-21, 12:00 AM
:D Glad I could help out... I follow D&D on facebook, saw their promo on there and thought I'd share it with the Playground.

And yeah, I was unimpressed with Solar Channeler, 1 minute per turn attempt spent to increase my BAB and get a special sword... I'll spend those attempts on some good DMM:P cheese instead.

Bullet06320
2015-02-21, 05:56 AM
its still available for free as of 5 mins ago

got a couple good prestige classes, ive gotten some mileage out of Dark Scholar

Thatwarforged
2015-02-21, 06:27 AM
Thanks always up for free thing. Its still free as of the moment.

WeaselGuy
2015-02-21, 07:05 AM
its still available for free as of 5 mins ago

got a couple good prestige classes, ive gotten some mileage out of Dark Scholar

Yeah, I was looking at Dark Scholar, I was thinking it's a pretty cool concept. Would be ridiculously in line with Archivist, but I'm pretty sure it says it progresses Arcane Spellcasting only...

Thanks always up for free thing. Its still free as of the moment.

The best part about that is that it's LEGALLY free :smallbiggrin:

Solaris
2015-02-21, 10:54 AM
Neat. Thanks for the heads-up, WeaselGuy.

I just downloaded a copy, so I think they're still handing it out free today, too.

Thurbane
2015-02-21, 05:39 PM
Great pick up, thanks!

Flickerdart
2015-02-22, 01:14 AM
Dark Scholar is basically just Loremaster but worse - all those "+1 caster level" lores just partially compensate for the CL you lost due to the class. It's still easily the best PrC in the book though, as I can hardly see the point in the others. Members of either of the adventure's organizations would do better to just advance in whatever class they started as.

Khedrac
2015-02-22, 05:53 AM
So marked down from $11.99 to $10.99 = free does it? I like your maths.

WeaselGuy
2015-02-22, 06:01 AM

Yesterday, when I posted this, was during a 24 hour free sale to commemorate the websites 2 year anniversary. Sorry you missed out on the free download.

Khedrac
2015-02-22, 11:20 AM
Yesterday, when I posted this, was during a 24 hour free sale to commemorate the websites 2 year anniversary. Sorry you missed out on the free download.
That or it's location specific as I do get the longer reduction for the event. Oh well. Thanks for trying.

WeaselGuy
2015-02-22, 11:23 AM
Well, it worked for at least 9 other people, so it's not exactly a "try". But you're welcome. Sorry you missed the chance to download it.

Thurbane
2015-02-22, 04:59 PM

It was 0.00 when I downloaded it (in Australia) yesterday.

sakuuya
2015-02-22, 05:20 PM
It was 0.00 when I downloaded it (in Australia) yesterday.

And I just went and looked at it again; it's at $10.19 here in the US. So I don't think it was a region thing, Khedrac. The sale must've ended before you tried to get it.

Zaq
2015-02-22, 05:29 PM
I find it interesting that the front cover says that the adventure is for levels 1-6, but you can't get into any of the PrCs until 7th level at the earliest, or 8th for Dark Scholar, and it's not like they give too many abilities in the early stages of the PrCs. You'd think that they'd try to make it so that the association-affiliated PrCs would be available while you're actually going through the adventure and dealing with the associations in question, no? I understand that WotC's design philosophy is that PrCs aren't for the earliest levels of play, so any adventure that starts at level 1 is going to be in a bad spot for PrCs, but still, it feels like they kind of missed the point here. By the time you can actually channel a Solar, for example, you're minimum ECL 11, and likely long done with the adventure. That seems kind of weird.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-22, 05:54 PM
I find it interesting that the front cover says that the adventure is for levels 1-6, but you can't get into any of the PrCs until 7th level at the earliest, or 8th for Dark Scholar, and it's not like they give too many abilities in the early stages of the PrCs. You'd think that they'd try to make it so that the association-affiliated PrCs would be available while you're actually going through the adventure and dealing with the associations in question, no? I understand that WotC's design philosophy is that PrCs aren't for the earliest levels of play, so any adventure that starts at level 1 is going to be in a bad spot for PrCs, but still, it feels like they kind of missed the point here. By the time you can actually channel a Solar, for example, you're minimum ECL 11, and likely long done with the adventure. That seems kind of weird.

I agree, while i havent looked at the PrCs, i found it odd that an Adventure that only goes to lvl 6 (maybe 7, that happens sometimes) would have PrCs at all. Unless there is another Adventure that continues where this one left off?

Thurbane
2015-02-22, 07:23 PM
Yes, a buddy of mine played a Cleric aiming for the Solar Chaneller PrC, but couldn't get there before the adventure wrapped up. :smallannoyed:

thorr-kan
2015-02-23, 04:53 PM
Previous discussion of this module made it sound like a good lead into the Red Hand of Doom campaign.

Thurbane
2015-02-23, 04:58 PM
I think someone even made a modified map that linked the maps of the two modules.

When we ran though Shattered gates, the DM used Scourge of the Howling Horde as an intro...

Blackhawk748
2015-02-23, 05:42 PM
I think someone even made a modified map that linked the maps of the two modules.

When we ran though Shattered gates, the DM used Scourge of the Howling Horde as an intro...

Huh, im gonna look into the Howling Horde, might link all three together and get a campaign out of them. Any recommendations for after RHoD?

thorr-kan
2015-02-26, 10:05 AM
Huh, im gonna look into the Howling Horde, might link all three together and get a campaign out of them. Any recommendations for after RHoD?
The quick version of Ravenloft, i.e., bust into Castle Ravenloft and unleash some hurt on Strahd.

Demonweb Pits.