PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Blade Character

Ezekiul
2015-02-20, 06:17 PM
Hey guys,

I am working on a character concept built around the Aura of Chaos stance and I am looking for ways to get as many d6 dice rolls from as many different damage sources (fire, cold, sonic, negative, force, etc) as possible. I would prefer to push the number damage sources than the actual number of dice.

The DM has allowed me to use the stance on any dice rolled as part of a melee weapon attack (so things like touch spells used in arcane channeling from duskblade get the bonus).

I am trying to keep it reasonable so I am not looking for d2 crusader type stuff.

It will be a level 14 character that can use a mix of 8 crusader levels or crusader advancing PrCs (or warblade/swordsage and Master of Nine) and a mix of 6 other classes to get more d6. So far I am aware of these sources:

Song of the White Raven + Dragonfire Inspiration Optimization
Dragonfire Strike + sneak attack/sudden attack
The +1 weapon special abilities (flaming, shocking, etc)
Duskblade arcane channeling (with energy sub for free from DM) + energy addmixture
Warlock + Hideous Blow (magic items can buff the eldritch blast dice)
Arcane Strike (works with bard or duskblade)
Skirmish and travel devotion or 10ft step.

Are you guys aware of anything else? Other classes that can give 2+ d6 on a level or two dip? Other magic items? Weapon buff spells?

Thanks in advance!

Deadasadoor
2015-02-20, 06:32 PM
Sudden Strike from dipping Ninja(Complete Adventurer) is kinda-sorta like Sneak Attack. If you go 2 levels in, you can get invisibility as a swift action a few times a day. Additionally, you can also dip Scout(also CA) for skirmish damage, but that's less reliable in melee without a high tumble.

Zaq
2015-02-20, 06:35 PM
You've got Duskblade spells? Arcane Strike (Complete Warrior) lets you turn those into d4s. They're not the d6s you asked for, but as far as Aura of Chaos is concerned, that's actually better, since they have a 1/4 chance of exploding instead of a 1/6 chance.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-20, 07:21 PM
Well grab Assassins Stance, which will get you 2d6 Sneak Attack, also snagging a level of Avenging Executioner will get you 1d6 Sudden Strike plus some other stuff if you stay.

Aegis013
2015-02-20, 07:39 PM
Well grab Assassins Stance...

No reason to do this, he'll be spending his time in Aura of Chaos I'm sure.

I'm seconding Arcane Strike, as that can provide up to BABd4's of additional damage, and Duskblade can use Ring of Wizardy I and II to get quite the nice pool of spellslots to expend.

Four levels of Spellsword will give a second channeling ability that works a bit differently than Duskblade's and would stack. It's really not a great investment, but you can use a Drakehelm to get yourself a high dice spell to use in addition to your other spells. Something like Orb of Fire, perhaps.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-20, 08:35 PM
No reason to do this, he'll be spending his time in Aura of Chaos I'm sure.

Oh crap i forgot, but if he goes the Swordsage/Warblade/Master of Nine route he could at least use it a few times a day for when he needs to hit really hard. But ya other than that, ya skip it.

Ezekiul
2015-02-21, 10:26 AM
Oh crap i forgot, but if he goes the Swordsage/Warblade/Master of Nine route he could at least use it a few times a day for when he needs to hit really hard. But ya other than that, ya skip it.

Yeah I was considering something like this but the feat tax would make it hard from getting other sources of damage without it being class specific. And I forgot about Arcane Strike so that is helpful.

Are there any decent clerics spells to use in this through Ruby Knight Vindicator levels?

Aegis013
2015-02-21, 01:56 PM
Darkbolt if you can get the BoVD version is a nice level 2 blast spell that deals 1d8/2 caster levels, half cold, half untyped damage and can potentially stun.

Flamestrike is the go-to choice for simple Cleric blasting, and there's Disintegrate in the Destruction Domain, though it comes on at 7th level spells. Harm is also a powerful option.

Though if you're looking at RKV, Ordained Champion from Complete Champion has the same spell channeling as Spellsword, but for Divine Spells instead of Arcane. It meshes excellently with RKV, assuming your DM rules Divine Impetus as a free action rather than going by the RAW that it's a Standard. This could stack with Duskblade too, but you won't have the room in your build to get the 13th level Channeling, so you'd be stuck with the third. If you do that, I suggest taking a level of Decisive Strike Monk, allowing you to whack a foe with an unarmed strike as a full-round action with a -2 penalty, then every following attack in the same round will deal double damage.

Assuming your DM's ok for dice from stances (and presumably spells) being doubled holds for all of these things, you could potentially be rolling actual buckets full of dice. Repeatedly.

The hard part will be getting them all on a single character. It'd be relatively simple in gestalt, but much less so without.