Special Qualities: Immune to Fear, Scent
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 15, Con 8, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 16
Skills: Balance +11, Climb +6, Hide +18, Jump +11, Move Silently +6
Feats: Ability Focus: Unsettling Gaze
Environment: Temperate Plains
Organisation: Pair or Litter (2-8)
Challenge Rating:

Nightmare kittens have the appearance of juvenile Persian cats, except they are generally considered ugly or creepy looking even before they use their fear-inducing powers. They are hunters and scavengers by nature, travelling in pairs or packs to panic animals and humanoids into running from exhaustion.

Unnerving Gaze (Ex): A nightmare kitten's stare produces an unreasoning fear in its victims. This is a gaze attack, with a range of 60ft.. Any creature subject to a nightmare kitten's gaze must make a will save or be shaken. This effect lasts as long as the creature can see the kitten, and for 1d6 minutes thereafter. If the creature catches sight of the kitten again within 24 hours, it automatically becomes shaken again. This effect stacks with the Unnerving Gaze of other nightmare kittens.

Skills: Nightmare kittens have a +4 racial bonus on Climb, Hide and Move Silently checks, and a +8 racial bonus on Jump and Balance checks. They use their Dexterity instead of Strength modifier for Climb and Jump checks.

DraPrime
2007-04-07, 08:07 AM
Looks interesting, but a challenge rating would be nice.

Dhavaer
2007-04-07, 08:11 AM
I don't know what the CR should be. I'd think quite low, as they aren't that dangerous, but three of them with good tactics could be a TPK.

Matthew
2007-04-07, 03:47 PM
Hmmn. Interesting Monster. I'm thinking CR 2.

DraPrime
2007-04-07, 08:05 PM
With an average of 1 hp I don't think that it can have a very high challenge rating. Something like 1/10.

Matthew
2007-04-07, 08:34 PM
It's Hit Points are not really the issue. It could have anywhere from 1-5 Hit Points and it wouldn't affect it's CR. The danger of this sort of Monster is how its used in combination. Saying that, I misread the entry when I first thought of a CR. CR 1/2 is probably more appropriate.

DraPrime
2007-04-07, 09:13 PM
True. It could be useful in groups. Very useful.

sigurd
2007-04-07, 10:31 PM
Would make a kick ass familiar. Esp. if it picked up hp from the wizard.

Sigurd