PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Lightning Rail Statistics

Jackofalltrades
2015-02-20, 09:21 PM
hello everyone. so i decided to start a Lv 3 gestalt D&D/Eberron campaign :smallcool:. players have to approve their characters with me though. but they will start on a lightning Rail that will be attacked by Bandits/Mercenaries (will have ties to the antagonist) who will steal something important (not figured out let). well i want the party to fight off bandits in the train and then have them man a top mounted ballista to take out a huge brute that is attacking the front of the train. (thinking Warforge titan just for crazy flavor :smallbiggrin:). well either way train crashes and they make it out (those who don't die from bandits) and start on a journey (let to be decided..... will get there eventually). but here's the problem i have grid maps of the train, but i have no actual info on the trains HP,AC,Speed, Etc. does anyone have stats on it? if there isn't any, maybe stats from homebrew or other D&D related books.)

edit: real quick, are there some low power spells or or cheap items that will prevent the players from taking the damage from derailment. have to be below 4th level because the group I'm playing with honestly once tried to carve out some ancient dwarven hyroglifics they found to sell for a quick penny. :smalleek: just don't want them getting their greedy little hands on something valuable. though anything that is valuable will be destroyed in the wreck.

Afgncaap5
2015-02-20, 10:13 PM
I believe that the Explorer's Handbook has stats on a lot of Lightning Rail things (such as how much damage you receive if you're standing on a lightning rail and get hit by a wall when it goes into a tunnel). As for avoiding damage from the crash, uh... well, I know that Sharn: City of Towers has some items. Can't remember what they're called, but it's something like "Feather Fall Talisman". It's cheap, and a person basically just wears it and can activate it once if they fall from a great height. Apart from that kind of thing, though... not sure.

Edit: yeah, pages 35 and 38 of the Explorer's Handbook seem to have most of what you're looking for, though the entire section from 33 to 38 isn't bad for what you need. 8d6 damage for players inside the train when it derails, probably 12d6 if they're outside.

Thatwarforged
2015-02-20, 10:34 PM
Give them some potions of "Crash resistance" (caution homebrew)which give them for one hour the ability to ignore the first 100 damage points of damage related to moving over 30 mph (or whatever the train goes). It will let them survive the crash and if they get anymorr then they need make them cost like 100 gp and have*some homebrew spell to create which is a gaurded secret of house Orien. You could even spin a side campaign were house Orien investigates how the party got their hands on the potions.

As for the train (lightning rail) give it somewhere between 50 to 120 hp with hardness like 20 or so. Its movement is 30 mph its in ebberon campaign settings page 126. Which is about 66 feet as a move action or 264feet as a full round (run action) i did the math which im not gonna bother posting inless you really want me to.

Jackofalltrades
2015-02-20, 10:51 PM
Give them some potions of "Crash resistance" (caution homebrew)which give them for one hour the ability to ignore the first 100 damage points of damage related to moving over 30 mph (or whatever the train goes). It will let them survive the crash and if they get anymorr then they need make them cost like 100 gp and have*some homebrew spell to create which is a gaurded secret of house Orien. You could even spin a side campaign were house Orien investigates how the party got their hands on the potions.

As for the train (lightning rail) give it somewhere between 50 to 120 hp with hardness like 20 or so. Its movement is 30 mph its in ebberon campaign settings page 126. Which is about 66 feet as a move action or 264feet as a full round (run action) i did the math which im not gonna bother posting inless you really want me to.

thanks. that's will work for now. i probably will go with 120 HP just because there's a massive robot smashing a train and i'm putting 4-6 player in ballistas. thanks though.

ksbsnowowl
2015-02-21, 02:40 PM
The adventure Whispers of the Vampire's Blade has some loose stats for Lighting Rail travel. It has rules for balance checks when it speeds up/slows down quickly, and information about falling damage if you fall off the roof, etc. Not really much of anything you wouldn't find in the Explorer's Handbook, but it's there, nonetheless.

Sian
2015-02-21, 03:44 PM
the Oneshot Scenario "Riding the Rail" from Dungeon Mag #143 seems tailor made for your request, as its a 5th level adventure surrounding a trip on the Lightning rail with a precious cargo