PDA

View Full Version : Dorukan's Gate... [Spoiler]

SolkaTruesilver
2007-04-07, 06:24 AM
Was it the only one with a selft-destruct mechanism? Shojo seems to say that only Dorukan feared that his gate would fall into Evil Hand, so only his can self-destruct...?

phobiandarkmoon
2007-04-07, 07:28 AM
I think it's safe to assume Dorukan was not following a universal construction rule for that gates there, and I certainly would not expect the Azure City gate to have one (paladins don't think like that)

DraPrime
2007-04-07, 08:06 AM
If there was a self destruct gate in Shojo's throne (now Hinjo's), It probably would have accidentally self-destructed a long time ago.

the_tick_rules
2007-04-07, 02:07 PM
it sounded like it was a unique addition of his own. Of course we'd be foolish to think there were no safeguards put on this one also.

The Extinguisher
2007-04-07, 02:19 PM
We can safely say that Soon's gate does not have one, or else Shojo would have know why there was one there.

skinkatlarge
2007-04-07, 08:50 PM
"...our gate here does not have one." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0278.html)

Luckily Mr. Scruffy had a good idea why Dorukon's did.

Bogardan_Mage
2007-04-08, 07:13 AM
Considering it was Dorukan's idea, I doubt it. Soon, as we know, didn't have one. Serini (in the name of Kraagor), just filled her dungeon with monsters, so she probably didn't put anything fancy like a self-destruct rune. Lirian probably didn't, it would harm too much of the forest (of course Redcloak did that anyway). That just leaves Girard, who wouldn't have been as distainful of the concept as Soon may have been, but again it might not have occured to him. We know he hid his gate behind illusions and deception, so if there was a self-destruct rune it would probably just set off a volley of arrows in the direction of anyone stupid enough to disregard its warning.

NeonRonin
2007-04-08, 08:26 AM
If Girard did have something like that on his gate, given the use of illusions to defend it I'd be willing to say he might put an illusory self-destruct on it. (To be more exact- it gives the intruding monster/evil warlock an illusion of the gate self-destructing, so they leave under the assumption that they just wasted a lot of time to get there. Then the illusion resets itself.)

Finwe
2007-04-08, 11:27 AM
Just FYI, you don't need to use a spoiler box on a thread that's tagged spoiler.

Also, I'd be willing to bet that Dorukon's gate was the only one with a self-destruct mechanism, but the others probably also have some sort of self-defense mechanism.

Mummy king
2007-04-08, 11:32 AM
Just FYI, you don't need to use a spoiler box on a thread that's tagged spoiler.

Also, I'd be willing to bet that Dorukon's gate was the only one with a self-destruct mechanism, but the others probably also have some sort of self-defense mechanism.
Soon's gate defense machanism: The sapphire guard.

Fawkes
2007-04-13, 11:23 AM
Of course they all have self-defense mechanisms, that's the point of the gates.

factotum
2007-04-13, 11:30 AM

Well, it's uncertain what sort of defences Lirian's gate had, considering the entire forest around it burned down...unless that WAS the defence, although that would seem like an odd choice for a character supposedly in tune with nature!

SolkaTruesilver
2007-04-13, 11:37 AM
I bet she made if SEEM that a fire destroyed the forest and the gate. I am sure her friend the illusionist was also her favorite in the group.

And after all, druids aren't controlled by the paladin's morality of "the end doesn't justify the means". It's the Demon Vs Child dilemma, but this time, it's the World Vs her Forest. She would destroy her forests

The druids aren't anything if not pragmatic. Strange for tree-huggers...

jindra34
2007-04-13, 11:45 AM
I bet she made if SEEM that a fire destroyed the forest and the gate. I am sure her friend the illusionist was also her favorite in the group.

And after all, druids aren't controlled by the paladin's morality of "the end doesn't justify the means". It's the Demon Vs Child dilemma, but this time, it's the World Vs her Forest. She would destroy her forests

The druids aren't anything if not pragmatic. Strange for tree-huggers...

as stated above no need for spoiler tags... also stated ealier was that Redcloak "accidentally" burned down the forest... I think DOrukan might have been the last of the six alive...