PDA

View Full Version : Too underpowered for a Feat?

Mr.Sandman
2015-02-20, 11:38 PM
Greetings. It strikes me as a bit odd that you can't identify at least some Outsiders using Knowledge: Religion, and likewise it would make sense to be able to identify some Undead with Arcana. Would being able to do so be too underpowered for a feat?

Flickerdart
2015-02-20, 11:53 PM
This is essentially worse than +1 skill point per level (since it does not let you gain the entire suite of knowledge the skill would allow). Nymph's Kiss is a feat that provides +1 skill point per level and then a bunch of other benefits. So yes, this is way underpowered for a feat. I would just let people do it for free - after all, any theologian of Pelor should be able to recognize him or his angels.

johnbragg
2015-02-21, 12:02 AM
Greetings. It strikes me as a bit odd that you can't identify at least some Outsiders using Knowledge: Religion, and likewise it would make sense to be able to identify some Undead with Arcana. Would being able to do so be too underpowered for a feat?

Terrible feat. If it bothers you that much, just make it a houserule and decide on the numbers. Knowledge Religion 25 to make a Knowledge Planes 15 check, say.

malonkey1
2015-02-21, 12:18 AM
I'd roll them both, plus about a +4 bonus to both skills before I'd consider it as a feat.

Ashtagon
2015-02-21, 04:22 AM

Way too weak for a feat. Maybe a skill trick, but even then it's questionable.

I'd probably just note that certain creatures can be ID-ed with either skill.

lsfreak
2015-02-21, 04:49 AM
I'd roll them both, plus about a +4 bonus to both skills before I'd consider it as a feat.

If you're not wanting to just make it a default thing, maybe with a bit of a penalty, then yea do this. But IDing could use some serious hourserules as it stands. Quick, what's a bhuka, vasuthant, kalabon, or tirbana eyewing? It's easier to get the name and a "piece of useful information" about them than it is to ID something as a friggin dragon. Not even the specific kind, just that it's is one (lowest core dragon is DC13 for white wyrmlings, what I listed are all DC11-12).

Flickerdart
2015-02-21, 12:39 PM
If you're not wanting to just make it a default thing, maybe with a bit of a penalty, then yea do this. But IDing could use some serious hourserules as it stands. Quick, what's a bhuka, vasuthant, kalabon, or tirbana eyewing? It's easier to get the name and a "piece of useful information" about them than it is to ID something as a friggin dragon. Not even the specific kind, just that it's is one (lowest core dragon is DC13 for white wyrmlings, what I listed are all DC11-12).
Easy questions are DC10. "What is this flying lizard" is an easy question. It won't help you with the type of dragon, though, nor its abilities, just as it should be.

atemu1234
2015-02-21, 12:46 PM
Maybe +4 on the check, followed by a bonus on attack rolls?

Thurbane
2015-02-21, 05:35 PM
I houseruled a feat that allowed a Knowledge (History) check to replace a Knowledge check of any other kind 1/day per point of INT bonus.

The theory was that you had heard some tidbit of history relevant to the topic at hand.

Calimehter
2015-02-21, 08:19 PM
Way too weak for a feat. Maybe a skill trick, but even then it's questionable.

I'd probably just note that certain creatures can be ID-ed with either skill.

Second the vote for a skill trick.

Make it so that all magic using undead (anything with Su or Sp abilities) can be IDed with Knowledge Arcane and any outsider with the same or opposite alignment can be done with Knowledge Religion.

That makes for a skill trick I would consider investing in. Maybe you could split them up into two separate skill tricks if you want to make it a tougher choice but that's getting toward the weaker side of skill tricks IMO.

The_Rippy_One
2015-02-21, 09:53 PM
I like the Skill trick idea ("cross-pollination trivia?" need to have 2 5 rank knowledges?)- you might also add in two more alts - rolling know(nature) for supernatural animals, and know(local) to find out certain religious or nobility aspects specific to a region. Not necessarily huge aspects, but, things like "that kitty is hella smarter than most kitties. and yes, that is actual fire leaking out of it's mouth, not a trick of the light" or "the local religion of R'Gfr'ha involves a whole lot of cannibalism, word to the wise" on a 15. not quite as full and in-depth as the "proper" skill would be, but some useful generalities that would be handy at times (compare the above to "The pyrnos has near human intelligence and can hunt by breathing fire" or "the R'Gfr'ha religion dictates that a living sentient humanoid must be eaten every high holy day (ie, every Thorsday)"). The information is similar, and accurate, but strikes a balance between an actual lore mastery and what you might have picked up at random while pursuing a related topic.

deuxhero
2015-02-21, 10:06 PM
In Pathfinder it's not even half a feat. It's 1 trait (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/regional-traits/forbidden-knowledge) (officially half a feat) to make EVERYTHING Knowledge: Planes based on Knowledge: Religion.

LTwerewolf
2015-02-22, 02:53 AM
I have a houserule that every thing you want to know tends to have multiple knowledge checks. The "usual" knowledge check is at the usual dc, the other is at a slightly higher dc. I do this for a lot of things (local and geography are some common ones, as well as religion/planes, arcane/planes, sometimes geography/nature).