PDA

View Full Version : Time Per Encounter?

Tonden Ockay
2015-02-21, 12:04 AM
Hey all

What is the average time it takes for your 5th edition campaign group per encounter from start to finish?

Thanks for your time.

Tonden Ockay
2015-02-21, 07:39 AM
Real time. Some people say it takes their group an hour or more of real time per encounter. While others say 20 minutes on average.

I know some times it going to take a little longer and other times it will end quickly but whats the average time it takes your group.

If you were mapping out your night and had X time to pay, yet had three encounters for to get though that nigh what would be the average time you would set aside for each encounter?

b4ndito
2015-02-21, 11:30 AM
Real time. Some people say it takes their group an hour or more of real time per encounter. While others say 20 minutes on average.

I know some times it going to take a little longer and other times it will end quickly but whats the average time it takes your group.

If you were mapping out your night and had X time to pay, yet had three encounters for to get though that nigh what would be the average time you would set aside for each encounter?

The 4 person party I DM for generally makes an encounter about 30 minutes. I'm pretty well organized though. They waste most of the night screwing around between encounters.

I've found 5e encounters can go twice as quick as their equal 3.5e encounter

Tonden Ockay
2015-02-21, 11:45 AM
I think I should have asked how long does it take in real time to do one full combat round in your group.

calebrus
2015-02-21, 01:07 PM
I think I should have asked how long does it take in real time to do one full combat round in your group.

You'll never receive an accurate answer to this question.
There are too many variables.

Do the tables use Maps & Minis, or theater of the mind?
How tactical are the players?
How well do you describe the scene?
How many questions do they ask you regarding environment and such during combat?
Which, if any, optional rules do you use?
How many house rules does your table have?
How well do the players know the rules?
How well do the you know the rules yourself?
Do you make Rulings on things, or look up every Rule available when questions arise?
How difficult are the fights?
etc etc etc

The answer you're looking for is this:
It's a tiny bit slower than 2e, but not by much at all.

In your case, the combats are going to start out taking a fair bit longer than you're used to because neither you nor your table are familiar with the rules, and the players have more options than they're used to (especially the non-casters). Those two things are going to slow combat down until you and they get used to it.
Once everyone gets used to the new system, things will take a few minutes longer than they do now, but not by much.

Slipperychicken
2015-02-23, 01:55 PM
Hey all

What is the average time it takes for your 5th edition campaign group per encounter from start to finish?

Thanks for your time.

In person, it usually takes about an hour or less. That's for about a 7- to 14-round, "long" encounter. Shorter encounters are typically resolved in about half an hour or less.

Over Roll20, it takes longer, partly because of impeded communication due to the media, because of the need to type out roll commands, as opposed to simply rolling dice.

Mr.Moron
2015-02-23, 01:57 PM
A straight up fight? Against like 1-3 monsters? 10-20 minutes.

When there are dynamic environmental effects going on and a sort of running-battle linking together multiple "encounters" and locations I've had it take pretty much the whole session.

Joe the Rat
2015-02-23, 03:11 PM
In person, it usually takes about an hour or less. That's for about a 7- to 14-round, "long" encounter. Shorter encounters are typically resolved in about half an hour or less.

Over Roll20, it takes longer, partly because of impeded communication due to the media, because of the need to type out roll commands, as opposed to simply rolling dice.

Have you tried the 5e sheet? They've got most of the common stuff macro'd up. Or setting up macros for common tasks, like I really should have my wizard player do instead of typing out his incantations each time.

That aside, VTT does tend to take a bit longer.

pwykersotz
2015-02-23, 04:05 PM
I agree, 10-20 minutes is my average for a Hard or Deadly encounter.
Medium or less tends to be blown through in 5.

Slipperychicken
2015-02-23, 04:25 PM
Have you tried the 5e sheet? They've got most of the common stuff macro'd up. Or setting up macros for common tasks, like I really should have my wizard player do instead of typing out his incantations each time.

That aside, VTT does tend to take a bit longer.

I'll be sure to check out those macros the next time we use it. Though I did quickly build some macros for attack rolls and perception, I didn't go too deep into it because I figured we would only use Roll20 for a session or two.

Tonden Ockay
2015-02-23, 05:30 PM
I agree, 10-20 minutes is my average for a Hard or Deadly encounter.
Medium or less tends to be blown through in 5.

How are you doing combat so fast? Could you please explain what I need to do or set up on roll20.net to make this happen for my group?

I am new to roll20.net and I haven't played D&D since 1996 I think. However I'm getting some of are old group together. I talked them into trying 5e and roll20.net. So I could use any and all help from anyone welling to help me out.

I did just get the 5e PHB and have just started looking it over. As for roll20.net I watched a youtube video and made an account/campaigne. I then was able to link up the 5e character sheet for roll20.net but this is as far as I have got so far.

If you could show me how to make macro's or what ever I need to do to speed combat up. I would be really grateful and I am sure my group will enjoy it as well :)

pwykersotz
2015-02-23, 06:08 PM
How are you doing combat so fast? Could you please explain what I need to do or set up on roll20.net to make this happen for my group?

I am new to roll20.net and I haven't played D&D since 1996 I think. However I'm getting some of are old group together. I talked them into trying 5e and roll20.net. So I could use any and all help from anyone welling to help me out.

I did just get the 5e PHB and have just started looking it over. As for roll20.net I watched a youtube video and made an account/campaigne. I then was able to link up the 5e character sheet for roll20.net but this is as far as I have got so far.

If you could show me how to make macro's or what ever I need to do to speed combat up. I would be really grateful and I am sure my group will enjoy it as well :)

First, we're around a table using our personal dice. I say 'roll initiative' and we're done within 30 seconds. So some of my advice might be less helpful for online play.

Second, I use a group initiative system (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18764151&postcount=5) that was talked about in this forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?396516-D-amp-D-5E-Initiative-House-Rule&highlight=group+initiative). This makes it super fast to determine turn order. I used to spend up to several minutes messing with my initiative board app (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/initiativeboard/id498834300?mt=8) (I still love it though) or typing out names and initiatives in the proper order. Now I just compare die rolls and go in order and I don't have to remember the initiatives past turn 1.

Third, my party works together fairly well. Plus under group initiative they can go in whatever order they want. In general one of their full turns takes two minutes. The casters look through their spells while I resolve the Rogue's sneak attack and the Eldritch Knight's multiple attacks. Then the casters are all ready to cast with their spells in front of them if I need a reference. Combat rarely lasts longer than 4 rounds unless there is a tactical geographic element in play or it's a boss monster, and that does really draw things out.

Fourth, I make cheat cards for the statblocks of my creatures and have them in front of me so I don't have to alt-tab from my online notes, flip through books, or anything else. It's a little prep-work that goes a long way.

Fifth, I've gotten very accustomed to quick adjudication (http://angrydm.com/2013/04/adjudicate-actions-like-a-boss/). I've trained my players never to ask me what they can do, but instead to tell me what they want to try. I tell them if/what to roll, they do it, and we move on. Honestly, the hemming and hawing I used to do over the simplest tasks seems dumb now, and it cost hours of play time. I've spent hours reading advice blogs like Angry DM (http://angrydm.com/) and Ars Ludi (http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/all-categories/) and reading forums like this one to grab tips that work with my playstyle to cut down on unnecessary elements and it's done wonders for my game.

I should note that in addition to slowing down when certain complexities are introduced, easily 10 minutes can be added to a combat when a party member gets in trouble. Then people start really racking their brains to see how they can maximize their turn. However, combats have yet to reach an hour anymore, and only once did it reach 45 minutes...that was when the party was trying to wrangle 50 peasants into an impromptu militia to ward off a couple attacking manticores.