PDA

View Full Version : Hero of Time D&D wiki build questions

Reprimand
2015-02-21, 12:37 AM
So I've never actually used a Tome of Battle class but I saw this on the D&D wiki and it made me want to try it.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Hero_of_Time_%283.5e_Optimized_Character_Build%29

Does anyone have any advice for a first time ToB/Factotum user? Or how I can optimize this further?

I also want to get the most out of AoOs to punish people for hitting me so I wanted Robliar's Gambit etc to stay.

Ideas for manuvers and stances would be awesome too!

I know I can read a handbook but it also helps to have the reasoning behind these things so I ask here.

Red Fel
2015-02-21, 12:58 AM
Does anyone have any advice for a first time ToB/Factotum user?

I have no advice for Factotum players. The class is comfortably straightforward; take Font of Inspiration and go to town.

With regard to ToB, my advice is to print the maneuver cards. You can find them on WotC's website, and for a first-time ToB user, they're a great way to track your maneuvers readied/expended, and what they do.

I also want to get the most out of AoOs to punish people for hitting me so I wanted Robliar's Gambit etc to stay.

Sadly, you kind of picked the wrong class for that. Crusader, with stances like Thicket of Blades or Iron Guard's Glare, and maneuvers like Defensive Rebuke, is the ideal choice for maximizing your AoO functionality. If you don't want to dip Crusader or use Devoted Spirit, however, there are tricks you can pull, although they're quite feat intensive. Several come to mind: Improved Trip + Knock-down can turn your AoOs into tackles; Stand Still can turn your AoOs into freeze rays. Also consider tricks that can extend your reach, because the larger an area you threaten, the more enemies are at risk of AoO brutality. Consider also weapons that apply penalties on hit; for example, the Cursespewing enhancement (BoVD) requires an enemy struck to make a Will save or suffer -4 to pretty much everything. The save is DC 15, which is paltry, but if you trigger enough AoOs, your enemies will roll a 1 eventually.

Reprimand
2015-02-21, 01:07 AM
I tried knockdown spam with this DM before he'll probably throw books at me this time around!

I mostly just wanted to focus on getting int to everything so I'm not a big a dumb fighter.

I kinda wanted to go the whole knowledge devotion route and make the big boss cry it's eyes out when I know all of his weaknesses and OTK him.

AoO spam is just for punishing weak monsters than dare attack me in melee. Or out-dueling one opponent.

Reprimand
2015-02-21, 01:59 PM
Bump still need help with maneuvers and such.