PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Dire Dragons?

Sivar
2015-02-21, 10:18 AM
Hello people of the internet! I have one very simple question are there dire dragons?

M Placeholder
2015-02-21, 10:29 AM
Given that dragons are sentient creatures and don't have the animal subtype, then no.

Forrestfire
2015-02-21, 10:30 AM
I'm fairly sure those are just "older dragons." "Dire" is a prefix attached to animals, to indicate that they're nastier than normal. Dragons are pretty much as terrifying as they come, so they don't need it.

Solaris
2015-02-21, 10:40 AM
Not without adding the half-dragon template to a dire animal.

I've put together a dire beast template for my own purposes. You could probably add it to a dragon-type creature if you wanted to make a dire dragon.

The Dire Beast template is an inherited template that may be added to any animal (other than a dire animal), magical beast, or vermin, hereafter referred to as the base creature.

Size and Type: If the base creature's size is Tiny or smaller, it increases to Small, while Medium and larger creatures increase by one size. The dire beast gains all of the benefits and penalties that accompany its new size.

Hit Dice: If the dire beast is Small, it has 1 HD or the HD of the base animal +1, whichever is greater.
If the dire beast is Medium or Large, its HD increase by +2.
If the dire beast is Huge, its HD increase by +4.
If the dire beast is Gargantuan, its HD increase by +8.
If the dire beast is Colossal, its HD increase by +12.

Armor Class: The base creature's natural armor bonus improves by +2. If the base creature has no natural armor bonus, it gains a natural armor bonus of +2. This bonus stacks with the bonus gained from the increase in size.

Speed: The base creature's speeds improve by +10 feet.

Special Attacks: A dire beast retains all of the base creature's special attacks. The damage of its special attacks is increased by one die size to account for the creature's increased size; this includes the effects of its poison, but not any diseases which it carries.

Special Qualities: The dire beast retains all of the base creature's special qualities. The effects of the special qualities are adjusted upwards for the increased size and ability scores, where applicable.

Ability Modifiers: The base creature's physical ability scores are adjusted for the dire beast's new size. In addition, the dire beast gains a +2 bonus to each of its physical ability scores, +2 to Wisdom, and +4 to Charisma. If the base creature has an Intelligence score greater than 3, it is reduced by 2 (to a minimum of 3).

Saving Throws: All of a dire beast's saving throws are good. The base value for each save is 1/2 the dire beast's HD +2.

Challenge Rating: If the dire beast is Large or smaller, as the base creature +1. If the dire beast is Huge or bigger, as the base creature +2. The dire beast's challenge rating also increases by one for every 3 HD it gains from the template.

Advancement: Dire beasts advance as the base creature, with the HD of each step of advancement increased as the dire beast (see Hit Dice, above) and the size category for each stage of advancement increased by one step. If the base creature has no advancement (as with most domesticated creatures), then it can advance to three times its new HD.

Level Adjustment: As base creature +1 (cohort), if the dire beast's Intelligence score is at least 3. If the dire beast's Intelligence is 2 or less, then it has no level adjustment as it cannot be played as a character.

ShurikVch
2015-02-21, 11:30 AM
There is Dire Сreature template in the Immortals Handbook Epic Bestiary: Volume One
But it supposed to be for animal (or vermin)
So, Dire Dragon Fang of Lolth 10? :smallamused:

Elricaltovilla
2015-02-21, 11:34 AM
There's Linnorms (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/dragons/linnorm) in Pathfinder that are kind of similar to "dire" dragons. They're more primordial, less intelligent, bigger, meaner and they have nasty curse effects against anyone that tries to kill them. That could be a good basis to start from.

Mr Adventurer
2015-02-21, 11:51 AM
There's linnorms in one of the Monster Manuals for 3.5 too.MM2?

atemu1234
2015-02-21, 12:48 PM
There's linnorms in one of the Monster Manuals for 3.5 too.MM2?

MMII is 3e.

Mr.Sandman
2015-02-21, 12:55 PM
There is a template for bigger, nastier, spell less dragons in the Advanced Beastiary, but I am not currently near my books to look up the name.

Mr Adventurer
2015-02-21, 01:17 PM
MMII is 3e.

Good point! Still, not too hard to port over, especially since IIRC they did a free conversion PDF for that book.

Threadnaught
2015-02-21, 03:47 PM
Given that dragons are sentient creatures and don't have the animal subtype, then no.

Animal is a Type.

Killer Angel
2015-02-21, 03:56 PM
MMII is 3e.

Yep, but at the end of the most recent manuals, there is the conversion to 3.5 (at least, in mine there is)

Forrestfire
2015-02-21, 04:12 PM
They updated it to 3.5 in the accessory booklet. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a)

Suteinu
2015-02-21, 05:21 PM
I deem to recall that in Dragon Magic there was a dragon mount-type creature, the drakkensteed, with an Intelligence of 2 and the animal type. I think that could accept the dire sub-type, unless the dragon-blooded aspect of it makes that impossible.

Larkas
2015-02-21, 05:25 PM
Hello people of the internet! I have one very simple question are there dire dragons?

Yes. Look up Fantasy Flight Games' Legends & Lairs: Draconic Lore.

If you simply want to apply a template to another dragon kind, you might want to look up Necromancer Games' Tome of Horrors' Dire Animals. IIRC, this was a free web enhancement. Of course, you'd have to bind the rules to apply this to a Dragon type.

SangoProduction
2015-02-22, 01:30 AM
You the DM?
There, you answered your question.

Agent 451
2015-02-22, 11:08 AM

Necromancer Games wrote up a dire animal template in one of their Tome of Horrors monster source books. They made a special excerpt about dire animals that contains the template. The original link doesn't work anymore, but it is still available via the Waybackmachine (https://web.archive.org/web/20110823023517/http://necromancergames.com/pdf/ToHDire.pdf). While the template doesn't apply to dragons by RAW, it might be useful to you.

crayzz
2015-02-22, 12:44 PM
On linnorms:

Their simplemindedness stifles any ability to assemble mass sieges or even cooperate in small groups, so linnorms almost always function alone, individually hunting over large territories in order to waylay as many travelers as possible. Linnorms only seek a mate once during their long lifetimes, the female producing several clutches of up to six eggs as a result. Of these eggs, only one will survive—the first to hatch immediately feasts on its unhatched brethren.

Either the world you live in is relatively young or these things should be extinct.

Belial_the_Leveler
2015-02-22, 03:14 PM
If of these eggs (i.e. the six per clutch) one survives, then there's one baby per clutch.

Also, Linnorns are sentient. There's always sex without seeking to mate in sentients which can still result in babies if you're not careful.

With a box
2015-02-22, 03:22 PM
On linnorms:

Either the world you live in is relatively young or these things should be extinct.

funny, I'd make same mistake at fisrt when I read that.

no, they make few clutches, and get a descendant per clutches