PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How to survive the first few levels

Angel Bob
2015-02-21, 10:45 AM
I've borrowed the 5e PHB from a friend and looked it over, and I have to say, it looks really enjoyable to me. I especially appreciate the Inspiration feature, because I value roleplaying and consider it a core part of the game.

However, I am intimidated by the low HP of characters at starting levels. I'm used to 4e (please don't throw stones, I only played it because it was easy to DM), and I'm sure I don't need to tell you that PCs in that edition had much more durability. The change to lower HP has me worried, because it demands a corresponding change in tactics, or else my carefully-crafted characters might not survive their first few combats.

My question, then, is: when I do play 5e (for I'm sure it's an inevitable eventuality), how can I make sure my low-level character survives? Tactics, features, methods, etc.... How do I keep them alive long enough to start moving the story along?

HoarsHalberd
2015-02-21, 10:57 AM
Be smart. Don't be afraid to call for tactical retreats, try and open an encounter with a surprise round, use cover whenever you can when fighting ranged attackers, try and bottle neck opponents when you can, and try and be as cautious as you can. Look for keys before picking locks, do whatever you can to avoid encounters with split groups.

Betagold
2015-02-21, 11:02 AM
Having played the first few levels, the edition is extremely balanced. The chance of player death is low as long as encounters are of an accurate challenge due to the bounded accuracy. Likewise, a balanced party should be able to hold up to most encounters as long as their tactics are smart.

Also, the experience table in this edition means that you level up extremely fast for the first few levels, so that you're not level one for very long (less than a third of the time it took in 3.5, but I have no experience with 4e).

TheDeadlyShoe
2015-02-21, 11:36 AM
While HP is low at level 1, going down is far from a death sentence. You have better than even odds of getting up by yourself, even if noone in your party drops a heal on you (bringing you up) or stabilizes you.

Angel Bob
2015-02-21, 11:59 AM
This sounds encouraging so far, especially the quick leveling.

Also, the experience table in this edition means that you level up extremely fast for the first few levels, so that you're not level one for very long (less than a third of the time it took in 3.5, but I have no experience with 4e).

In 4e, leveling was a static growth, not exponential. The required XP to level up was always equal to ten level-appropriate encounters. As such, leveling took a while. Knowing that the dangerous low levels will go by quickly is a relief.

TrollCapAmerica
2015-02-21, 01:30 PM
I survived playing an AD&D Mage with under 5 HP. If I can get through that by just being careful and accessing threats well I'm sure you will be fine

We used to have roll HP UPHILL both ways grumble grumble get off my lawn

zingbobco000
2015-02-21, 08:08 PM
The tactics which you would use depend on what character you are playing, what is your class? What tactics do you envision said character doing? Does this character have any quirks that we should know about to add these factors is? It depends on who you play, for example, if you decide to choose a heavy armor fighter, sneaking around might not be the best of options. I am not saying that it is a bad one, just that there are probably better ones out there. So basically, I am asking you about: class/race, tactics, and ideas that might effect combat.

Angel Bob
2015-02-22, 10:05 PM
The tactics which you would use depend on what character you are playing, what is your class? What tactics do you envision said character doing? Does this character have any quirks that we should know about to add these factors is? It depends on who you play, for example, if you decide to choose a heavy armor fighter, sneaking around might not be the best of options. I am not saying that it is a bad one, just that there are probably better ones out there. So basically, I am asking you about: class/race, tactics, and ideas that might effect combat.

This is difficult for me to answer, because I have not yet signed up for a 5e campaign -- I am asking in the abstract so that I can feel better prepared for campaigns in the future.

I can tell you that I have built two characters I am eager to run, one of them a bard and one a druid. The druid is focused more towards spellcasting, with Produce Flame as his attack cantrip of choice. The bard is a dab hand with a rapier, and uses Vicious Mockery. Both have low CON & medium AC, so stealth/surprise/evasion tactics seem ideal. (They are also rather fitting thematically, as the bard is a charlatan and prefers to deceive her enemies rather than bash them.)

In general, I think I prefer spellcasters to martial classes, which is part of the reason I'm worried about surviving the first few levels.

ProphetSword
2015-02-22, 10:20 PM
I do find it interesting that someone coming from 4e is immediately struck by how low the hit points are, and all the old gamers from 1e/2e think the hit points are too high. Me, I'm like Goldilocks...I think they're just right...

Mr.Moron
2015-02-22, 10:27 PM
Play with a GM that has similar expectations to you, and wants to maintain death as the exception rather than the rule. At the end of the day there is only so much you can do in a vacuum. All the good thinking and careful planning in the world won't save you from a dice or universe filled with opponents that like to focus-fire and prioritize putting down opponents over any other consideration.

On the other hand making sure you're with a GM on the same page of you in terms tone and how the lethality curve should play out will do worlds for making sure your character isn't likely to drop dead early.

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-22, 10:45 PM
The most survival class thus far, not heroric mind you, that I've seen is the Rogue.

When played like a rogue and not when all battles are in open fields -_- (some DMs do this...).

Having high AC is another good thing, medium armor + shield + protection fighting style goes a long way... But not being attacked in the first place is usually best.

V.Human (Magic Initiate: Thorn Whip/Shillelagh/Goodberry) Hermit Rogue 2/Cleric (Life or Light) X is a fun survival build.

Life to heal, light to kill... Up to you on that one. It's all about tactics.

Edit: accidentally hit an icon... I blame my phone.

zingbobco000
2015-02-23, 12:34 AM
Well, I think the best decision in that case is to begin with the bard. The bard is a very versatile character, allowing you to do many different abilities and still stay on par with other spell-casters and even sometimes other fighters. I believe that what you want to do firstly is to begin with a human variant and use these ability scores:

27 pt. buy:
8 STR
15 (+1 from race) DEX
14 CON
8 INT
10 WIS
15 (+1 from race) CHA

If it's higher try to increase wis to around 12 or so and then do the same for int.

Rolling: CHA > DEX > CON > WIS > INT > STR

Next take the feat moderately armored, gaining profs in medium armor and shields. This will give you a armor class which is almost as powerful as an average cleric. Then take a chain shirt, rapier, shield, shortbow, and some kind of musical instrument. For skills pick up perception, persuasion, and stealth. Your background will give you deception as well as a sometimes decent skill, sleight of hand as well as a forgery kit and disguise kit. On your turn your best course of action will probably be:
1. Drop Shield (free action)
2. Pick up musical instrument (tandem action)
3. Cast some kind of spell, probably viscous mockery of dissonant whispers if at least two people will be able to get an AoO from them. (action)
4. Drop muscial instrument (free action)
5. Pick up shield (I'd rule it as maybe 10 ft. of movement or half your movement speed or something like that, ask your DM though)

This will give you great protection, great stealth, great Out-of-Combat skills and more. What you will normally want to do before an encounter starts:
1. Before you enter a new room make sure there is no noticeable blood stains as you are trying to deceive your enemy not make them charge you.
2. Knock on door or wall or whatever
3. State: "I'm a new recruit" or "The human leader sent me" or something along those lines of you trying to join whatever group that they are, this doesn't work in certain monster areas like a goblin lair but if your DM gives you the proper knowledge you should be able to think of something.
4. Then continue with something along the lines of: "The rest of my group is here as well to join" or something along those lines
5. Once everyone is in including the heavy armor fighter give them some kind of heavy ale (ask your DM about it) or whatever to try and get them intoxicated enough to not be on their guard (like a auto-advantage to attack rolls) this will not only make it easier to kill them, but they might also divulge important info about whatever group they are (heavy ale, the equivalent of a first level spell). Also try and make it so their weapons are out of reach.
6. Once you've recovered all you know, stand back and let the rest of the party do the work, you have no need to get your hands dirty, however, you can throw insults about them being drunk mwahaha.

This may be a hard and time-consuming project but it will win you almost every single fight you go up against if the people who you are fighting against are some kind of humanoid gang.

Angel Bob
2015-02-23, 10:57 AM
Well, I think the best decision in that case is to begin with the bard. The bard is a very versatile character, allowing you to do many different abilities and still stay on par with other spell-casters and even sometimes other fighters. I believe that what you want to do firstly is to begin with a human variant and use these ability scores:

Next take the feat moderately armored, gaining profs in medium armor and shields. This will give you a armor class which is almost as powerful as an average cleric. Then take a chain shirt, rapier, shield, shortbow, and some kind of musical instrument. For skills pick up perception, persuasion, and stealth. Your background will give you deception as well as a sometimes decent skill, sleight of hand as well as a forgery kit and disguise kit. On your turn your best course of action will probably be:
3. Cast some kind of spell, probably viscous mockery of dissonant whispers if at least two people will be able to get an AoO from them. (action)
5. Pick up shield (I'd rule it as maybe 10 ft. of movement or half your movement speed or something like that, ask your DM though)

This will give you great protection, great stealth, great Out-of-Combat skills and more. What you will normally want to do before an encounter starts:

This may be a hard and time-consuming project but it will win you almost every single fight you go up against if the people who you are fighting against are some kind of humanoid gang.

That was an amusing read. The latter strategy does seem effective, but I think that's one of those things that only works once -- if I were to try to do that for every encounter, the table would get bored, wouldn't it?

I do value roleplaying over mechanics, so I may have to disregard some details, such as the shield (I can't see the PC carrying one, no matter the benefit). Still, I appreciate your thoughts.

Play with a GM that has similar expectations to you, and wants to maintain death as the exception rather than the rule. At the end of the day there is only so much you can do in a vacuum. All the good thinking and careful planning in the world won't save you from a dice or universe filled with opponents that like to focus-fire and prioritize putting down opponents over any other consideration.

On the other hand making sure you're with a GM on the same page of you in terms tone and how the lethality curve should play out will do worlds for making sure your character isn't likely to drop dead early.

This is, obviously, the most effective and rewarding strategy. I do hope I'm able to pull it off. :smalltongue:

zingbobco000
2015-02-23, 02:49 PM
That was an amusing read. The latter strategy does seem effective, but I think that's one of those things that only works once -- if I were to try to do that for every encounter, the table would get bored, wouldn't it?

I do value roleplaying over mechanics, so I may have to disregard some details, such as the shield (I can't see the PC carrying one, no matter the benefit). Still, I appreciate your thoughts.

That is true my main point was just to get you past the first couple levels then you can get into the more powerful levels, once you're there you can use whatever tactics which you like. As for the shield, I completely understand if you don't want one, as you can use the rapier in two hands then easily switch between your lute and said rapier. I completely understand if you want to disregard some of my suggestions, just giving out what I believe would help you survive the first couple levels.

charcoalninja
2015-02-23, 03:51 PM
Among the most unkillable characters in 5e is a cleric / warlock multiclass.

At level 1 you take Tempest, War or Life cleric for heavy armour on your variant human and take Heavy Armour mastery(put your 14 in STR so it gets boosted to 15 with the feat). Now you have heavy armour and a shield and DR 3.
So you should be able to sit at a 17 or 18 AC with this DR which is amazing. You have healing magic to further broaden your survivablity. Use guidance to be everyone's buddy outside of combat, and bless + thrown Javelins in combat to be everyone's buddy there.

Level 2 you multiclass Warlock and enjoy Eldritch blasting people all over the place while having your crazy strong AC and DR and reap the benefits of your sweet sweet temp HP that lasts until you rest, and you get any of your prepared spells once on a short rest, sure to be very handy.

The build comes into its own at level 3, when you get Fiendish Vigor and can start every combat with 8 temp hp courtesy of False Life at will, and anytime you're running low on temp HP can simply renew it while standing in the way of beasties. Over the course of a 6 encounter day False Life alone gives you 48 bonus HP, and you get a lot more depending on how many guys you manage to kill during the fights, which thanks to Thunderwave (if tempest) or Burning Hands (if life or something) could be a lot if you're fighting goblins.

Taking Agonizing blast as your second invocation opens up more survivability through you being able to blast everyone.

By level 3 you have nearly as much free HP as a druid but have an AC they can't touch (AC 19 by level 3, 21 with Shield of Faith).

Stat priority for this build is: Cha -> STR (until 15) -> WIS - Con - Dex - Int.

Take Warlock level 4 for another feat (Warcaster) and Tome lock for 3 more cantrips (Ray of Frost, Viscious Mockery and Shocking Grasp) to let you melee whenever you want (shocking) denying them reactions, slow them (ray of Frost) for control, or impose disadvantage on their attacks (mockery) at a range. Makes for a nice versitile caster/melee hybrid.

After that go back to cleric for the forseeable future, only dipping again if you feel like it once you get 3rd level cleric spells.

So that's my preferred I'm going to live no matter what character.

Telwar
2015-02-23, 04:04 PM

^ This is a good one. Everyone being on the same page is probably the best thing; if you're expecting a PC slaughterfest, being in a group where the DM doesn't punch too hard too often is probably not going to be fun.

Otherwise, play your character like someone who's going to be going out and doing risky things for profit. Plan, prepare, and be ready to book it on a moment's notice.

Taejang
2015-02-23, 04:31 PM
Play with a GM that has similar expectations to you, and wants to maintain death as the exception rather than the rule. As others (and you yourself, OP) said, this is kind of important.

Well, I think the best decision in that case is to begin with the bard.

<REASONS>

I disagree, I think druid. At low levels, shapeshifting literally doubles your hit points. Only the barbarian (with Rage) or a very high AC character will have better survivability than that.

Otherwise, play your character like someone who's going to be going out and doing risky things for profit. Plan, prepare, and be ready to book it on a moment's notice.
I've played several (I think 5?) different classes at low levels, and this is the key. Don't rush ghouls, do talk to bandits, etc. Peek through keyholes and listen at doors. Charm the rat, Shapeshift into a bat, or send in the familiar to scout things out first. Have the party wait down the hall, then swing open the door just long enough to see what's inside and immediately shut the door again to dash away and rejoin the party. Make use of illusion spells to hide and gather intel. Use broken glass or bells or anything else available to create a poor-man's Alarm spell. Move barrels around to barricade a door or give yourself partial cover before opening a door. Use Spider Climb on somebody, have them hide on the ceiling, and lead enemies into an ambush. Use Prestidigitation and other cantrips to distract enemies, lure them where you want, or even intimidate them into surrender. Do stuff to turn the battlefield to your advantage.

You may also want to understand the mechanics of the basic monsters. Ask your DM for all the in-world intel your character would know about a monster. For instance, knowing that goblins have a wicked Hide mechanic could make a big difference to your tactics, and it is probably common knowledge to people in that world.

zingbobco000
2015-02-23, 04:46 PM
I disagree, I think druid. At low levels, shapeshifting literally doubles your hit points. Only the barbarian (with Rage) or a very high AC character will have better survivability than that.

I think that his character idea is based around spellcasting though, so he wouldn't be playing a Circle of the moon druid, instead he'd be playing a circle of the land. Though I find that most of the time nobody cares about my bard and the DM has to be purposefully going out to attack you, whereas with druid you're basically a auto-target and for many different encounters which I DM the moon druid goes unconscious every couple of fights. This is in part because I roll really high :smalltongue: but also due to the fact that he can only wildshape normally once per encounter, and when faced with a swarm of kobolds, the stealthy bard who stays in the back and throws insults around normally has a higher survivability than the druid who can't even wildshape until second level and has the possibility of not choosing circle of the moon not getting bear or whatever.

Taejang
2015-02-23, 05:01 PM
I think that his character idea is based around spellcasting though, so he wouldn't be playing a Circle of the moon druid, instead he'd be playing a circle of the land. Though I find that most of the time nobody cares about my bard and the DM has to be purposefully going out to attack you, whereas with druid you're basically a auto-target and for many different encounters which I DM the moon druid goes unconscious every couple of fights. This is in part because I roll really high :smalltongue: but also due to the fact that he can only wildshape normally once per encounter, and when faced with a swarm of kobolds, the stealthy bard who stays in the back and throws insults around normally has a higher survivability than the druid who can't even wildshape until second level and has the possibility of not choosing circle of the moon not getting bear or whatever.
Good points, but somewhat dependent on the DM's style or the druid's playstyle. Granted, a spell druid will get weaker shapeshifting, but they still effectively double their hit points at lvl 2 with several different beasts. In one group, we had a spell druid that stayed back and, you know, cast spells. Judicious placement kept the druid in at least partial cover from ranged attacks and out of melee range, just as the bard would be (though not hidden). Shapeshifting only came out as a last resort when their HP dropped low, which usually meant one of our melee guys was unconscious.

While low level parties are weak, basically nothing has AoE spells/abilities at those levels. Anybody in the back ranks can survive with the benefits of cover (literal and figurative) granted by their melee guardians. Druid just has the added bonus of both healing spells and shapeshifting options when things go awry.

Slipperychicken
2015-02-23, 05:22 PM
how can I make sure my low-level character survives? Tactics, features, methods, etc.... How do I keep them alive long enough to start moving the story along?

I'll give you a few bits of generic advice:

Don't split the party. When the rogue/ranger scouts ahead, don't let him go more than 60ft ahead of you. Letting him scout too far ahead means he might find himself fighting solo (i.e. dying) against an encounter meant for the whole group. Make sure that he has a clear line of escape, that he can retreat to the party's position within a single combat round, and that you are prepared to back him up when needed. Sticking together in "safe" areas (or at least knowing where the others are) is a good idea in principle, but not always necessary.

When you have a choice about engaging in a risky combat, avoid it unless it is absolutely necessary. Whatever it is, it probably isn't worth dying for. If someone leeroys into a really powerful/stupid encounter, quickly decide whether it's winnable. If it isn't try not to let him drag you down with him.
Try to have a working knowledge of the monster manual and game statistics of various weapons and traps. This will help your threat-assessment, which can greatly prolong your character's life.
When you have an opportunity to lure enemies into an area, try to prepare the area with traps and hazards (like caltrops, grease, and wetting the ground) so that you can get free CC on them.

Always have a clear exit strategy. Ask yourself "where will I run if a powerful enemy lurks behind this door?", and try to ensure that your escape route is safe before trying anything.

Don't be afraid to pull back and rest at appropriate intervals. If everyone is at half health and used most of their dailies, try to leave the dungeon (or whatever mission area is), rest, and come back later. Do not keep pushing more than you have to. Do not rest until you are certain that you're safe.

Always bring standard adventuring equipment, such as at least 50ft of rope, mirror, a knife, a hammer, a grappling hook, a 10ft pole (a spear or polearm also works for this purpose), a crowbar, and a shovel. Used creatively and liberally, these items can very well save your life.

Use your equipment creatively. Use your mirror to peek around corners and under doors without being noticed. Use rope, weapons, and 10ft poles to open doors and chests remotely. Use your grappling hook to scale walls and other surfaces. Use spikes or wedges to hold doors open or closed.

Use ranged attacks to keep distance between your party and enemies, especially when the enemy doesn't have ranged attacks. Even if your melee attack bonus is really high and you really want to use that Sentinel feat. Pulling out of melee is risky, so only engage in melee when you either need to, or have a clear advantage.

Use cover and concealment whenever you can. If your DM doesn't mention any, ask him if there are any good cover sources nearby, or if there are any shadowy areas which you can hide in. You can take this one step further by falling prone behind your cover at the end of each turn, so that you benefit from total cover (i.e. cannot be targeted). Going prone also makes ranged attacks take disadvantage against you, even if you aren't in cover.
When someone chides you for being too careful or boring, try not to let them talk you into anything stupid. Overconfidence is a lot more lethal than paranoia.

As for 5e specific stuff, I'll recommend the Lucky feat. It's three free rerolls per day, which you can spend on ability checks, attack rolls, saving throws, or even attack rolls made against you. When a single roll stands between death and victory, it helps to get a reroll.

Also, try to get advantage whenever possible. In many cases, the "Help" action can let you give someone advantage for free. Do that as often as you can, and try to get your party to help out too. Teamwork is encouraged in 5e.

1337 b4k4
2015-02-23, 05:31 PM
Something else to keep in mind: There is superiority in numbers. Wherever and whenever you can with combat, get superior numbers on your side.

Also, on the assumption you weren't going for self deprecating humor, never apologize for the editions or games that you play. Fun is fun is fun and if a particular game is a game you enjoy, then go for it and to heck with the haters.

Demonslayer666
2015-02-23, 06:19 PM
The survivability of your character is gong to depend highly on your DM, regardless of what edition you play. They are supposed to challenge you, not kill you. Surviving should be the norm whether you make a paper tank or steel one. If he's out to get you, you are in trouble from the get go and it won't matter much what you play or how you play them.

Any good DM will adjust the challenge level appropriately on the fly, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. have fun and roleplay your character!

Hopefully you don't find that DM's game overly difficult (lots of dying). I've been in those types of games and they are just no fun. Avoid those DMs rather than making characters that are "more difficult to kill".

Just my 2 cp.

Kryx
2015-02-23, 07:38 PM
This is mostly wrong.
1. Doffing a shield is an action.
2. Drawing/picking up an item takes either an action or your 1 use of object interaction per turn. We'll assume the latter.
3. Action is already used, cannot use it here.
4. Is normal.
5. No actions left. Picking up a shield at this point is an action. Donning it is another action.

Action economy abuse was mostly wiped out in these regards. I'd suggest you read over this section of the PHB again.

JNAProductions
2015-02-23, 08:05 PM
The survivability of your character is gong to depend highly on your DM, regardless of what edition you play. They are supposed to challenge you, not kill you. Surviving should be the norm whether you make a paper tank or steel one. If he's out to get you, you are in trouble from the get go and it won't matter much what you play or how you play them.

Any good DM will adjust the challenge level appropriately on the fly, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. have fun and roleplay your character!

Hopefully you don't find that DM's game overly difficult (lots of dying). I've been in those types of games and they are just no fun. Avoid those DMs rather than making characters that are "more difficult to kill".

Just my 2 cp.

Speaking as a noob DM (who just played under another noob DM), don't quit on a DM just because he kills off a couple characters. He may just be horrible at balancing encounters and needs practice to get it right.

Mr.Moron
2015-02-23, 08:11 PM
Speaking as a noob DM (who just played under another noob DM), don't quit on a DM just because he kills off a couple characters. He may just be horrible at balancing encounters and needs practice to get it right.

If you're afraid you can't tune things just right but still don't want to kill people in totally random moments that weren't even supposed to be dangerous, you can always throw in some houserules to help smooth things out.

I almost always give my players some kind of hero-point type system that they can cheat death with if they want.

JNAProductions
2015-02-23, 08:15 PM
You know, that would've been quite nice advice 3 player deaths ago. (Then again, it may have just been that player, since it was one guy dying three times.)

Edit: Character death. I did not kill and resurrect one of my players on three seperate occassions. That's for special occassions.

zingbobco000
2015-02-23, 08:37 PM
Good points, but somewhat dependent on the DM's style or the druid's playstyle. Granted, a spell druid will get weaker shapeshifting, but they still effectively double their hit points at lvl 2 with several different beasts. In one group, we had a spell druid that stayed back and, you know, cast spells. Judicious placement kept the druid in at least partial cover from ranged attacks and out of melee range, just as the bard would be (though not hidden). Shapeshifting only came out as a last resort when their HP dropped low, which usually meant one of our melee guys was unconscious.

While low level parties are weak, basically nothing has AoE spells/abilities at those levels. Anybody in the back ranks can survive with the benefits of cover (literal and figurative) granted by their melee guardians. Druid just has the added bonus of both healing spells and shapeshifting options when things go awry.

Very true, i believe that they are probably equal I enjoy bards more though so I guess I had a bit of a bias.

This is mostly wrong.
1. Doffing a shield is an action.
2. Drawing/picking up an item takes either an action or your 1 use of object interaction per turn. We'll assume the latter.
3. Action is already used, cannot use it here.
4. Is normal.
5. No actions left. Picking up a shield at this point is an action. Donning it is another action.

Action economy abuse was mostly wiped out in these regards. I'd suggest you read over this section of the PHB again.

I actually re-read the section on combat after reading this and I will change my statement:

1. Drop rapier (free action)
2. Draw instrument (tandem action)
3. Cast some kind of far range spell like viscous mockery. (Action)
4. Continue on your way.

I apologize for that previous mess up.

Taejang
2015-02-24, 10:21 AM
1. Drop rapier (free action)
2. Draw instrument (tandem action)
3. Cast some kind of far range spell like viscous mockery. (Action)
4. Continue on your way.

I think you're allowed to sheathe the rapier as a free action and still do the other items. Then you won't accidentally step on it :smallbiggrin:

Can someone confirm?

Kryx
2015-02-24, 10:32 AM
2. Draw instrument (tandem action).
What is a "tandem action"? I assume interact with object? If so it all works out now.

I think you're allowed to sheathe the rapier as a free action and still do the other items.
Sheathing is an action. See http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/50526/drawing-and-sheathing-a-weapon-in-5e-and-the-actions-required

Taejang
2015-02-24, 10:41 AM
Sheathing is an action. See http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/50526/drawing-and-sheathing-a-weapon-in-5e-and-the-actions-required
Ah dang. Thanks for the ruling, though.

Shining Wrath
2015-02-24, 10:56 AM
Talk to the DM when you find a campaign.

If your DM gives you money, money can be freely converted into Cure Wounds potions, which are listed for sale as normal equipment in the PHB - the one exception to the "No Magic Mart" style of 5e.

No one has mentioned it, perhaps because it seems trivial, but dropping a 14 into Constitution gives you 2 bonus HP per level. If you're playing a Wizard that's huge. If you're playing a barbarian it's still nice.

kaoskonfety
2015-02-24, 11:19 AM
Bring the DM snacks. Make it clear the snacks may continue. Avoid doing stupid things to get yourself killed.

Con heavy anything - more HP.
Any race with a Con bonus or bonus HP (Hill dwarf, stout Halfling, Dragon Born, Human etc.)
Variant Human with heavy Armour Prof and the 3 damage resistance feat, and +1 con - probably a fighter
Any non-melee character with medium or heavy armor and MORE CON - Tempest or life cleric, barbarian, Mountain Dwarf wizard/sorc/warlock, druid

The over all theme to not being dead, build wise, is those HP really matter (1 more damage that needs to happen before death checks can really add up over a few fights). Never dump con without a very good reason EVER.

After HP's is AC - 14+ if you don't plan on getting attacked, 17+ if you do.

Or - my preferred method - play a slightly squishy and "go big or go home", have a bit of fun and worry less.

Oscredwin
2015-02-24, 03:47 PM
Be ready to attack at ranged. I don't care if you're an 10 dex Paladin, carry a crossbow and get your d8 or d10 of damage before closing in. Also, if your opponent doesn't have a ranged attack, stay at range. If your opponent does have a decent ranged attack, then close in to melee. Be at the range your opponent doesn't want you to be at.

zingbobco000
2015-02-24, 06:00 PM
What is a "tandem action"? I assume interact with object? If so it all works out now

Yes I am saying tandem action under the fact that it is in tandem with your action.

Knaight
2015-02-24, 06:20 PM
I do find it interesting that someone coming from 4e is immediately struck by how low the hit points are, and all the old gamers from 1e/2e think the hit points are too high. Me, I'm like Goldilocks...I think they're just right...

Well yeah, peoples' impressions of games are based on what they already know well. Hence why I look at it (from a non D&D background) and my first thought is "Hit points, that's odd" (though it being a D&D title, it's also expected).

Angel Bob
2015-02-25, 09:51 PM
Bring the DM snacks. Make it clear the snacks may continue. Avoid doing stupid things to get yourself killed.

Or - my preferred method - play a slightly squishy and "go big or go home", have a bit of fun and worry less.

That first suggestion is good advice in any situation. Ample snacks are the foundation of a strong DM/player relationship. :smalltongue:

I probably will combine your suggestions with Mr.Moron's two cents from the first page. My prerogative is to find a DM who shares my priorities of roleplaying and storytelling over tough fights and mechanics. Of course, this is where that old saying comes in -- "Everyone wants to play in a game DMed by themselves." Finding a DM who sees eye-to-eye with me could be tricky.

Still, I thank you all for the input. I consider my question thoroughly resolved. :smallsmile: