PDA

View Full Version : Rules question for game happening now -- concentration check taking ability damage

rrwoods
2015-02-21, 04:53 PM
A psion manifests a power, provoking an attack of opportunity or readied attack from a creature that deals only ability damage (specifically strength damage). The psion needs to make a concentration check not to lose the power, but what's the DC?

nedz
2015-02-21, 05:12 PM
Well the relevant rules are here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/skills/concentration.htm).
This (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/concentration.htm) is relevant also

The rule is Distracting spell’s/power's save DC — but see the footnote.

Flickerdart
2015-02-21, 05:16 PM
To expand upon Nedz's answer, since ability drain attacks usually don't allow a save, the Concentration DC would be 10+half of the monster's HD+its Charisma modifier.

Crake
2015-02-21, 05:26 PM
To expand upon Nedz's answer, since ability drain attacks usually don't allow a save, the Concentration DC would be 10+half of the monster's HD+its Charisma modifier.

Would that really be the case though? It's not a spell or power, and it's dealing ability damage, which is still a form of damage, so wouldn't the DC just be 10+damage dealt+power/spell level?

ksbsnowowl
2015-02-21, 05:38 PM
Wouldn't the DC just be 10+damage dealt+power/spell level?
That's what I'd go with (note, spell level has nothing to do with the Concentration check made after being damaged). The Concentration skill just says "damage," it doesn't specify HP damage. Ability damage is damage.

deuxhero
2015-02-21, 05:40 PM
"+Power/Spell level" is a PF thing. Thread doesn't say 3.5 or PF.

Jeraa
2015-02-21, 05:45 PM
"+Power/Spell level" is a PF thing. Thread doesn't say 3.5 or PF.

You add the level of the spell you are trying to cast to the Concentration DC in 3.5 as well. Pathfinder just made it clear by adding "+spell level" to all the entries, as opposed to relying on a note at the bottom of the table like 3.X did.

nedz
2015-02-21, 05:50 PM
Hmm, I did kind of assume it was a spell. It would be useful to know what the creature is as well, or at least whether this is an SLA, Su or Ex ability ?

ksbsnowowl
2015-02-21, 06:00 PM
as opposed to relying on a note at the bottom of the table like 3.X did.
... Indeed you are right. Sorry for my errant post.

rrwoods
2015-02-21, 06:03 PM
Apologies for the non-specificity. 3.5, it's a shadow using a touch attack of some sort (I'm a player in the game and haven't looked up the shadow's stat block). Sounds like it's 10 + 1/2 shadow's HD + shadow's Cha mod though.

Flickerdart
2015-02-21, 06:14 PM
Would that really be the case though? It's not a spell or power, and it's dealing ability damage, which is still a form of damage, so wouldn't the DC just be 10+damage dealt+power/spell level?
This isn't the first time WotC lost the thesaurus. Treating ability damage as a type of damage leads to all kinds of nonsense.

nedz
2015-02-21, 06:18 PM
If you're a player then ask your DM :smallamused:

It's an Su Incorporeal touch FWIW — about which the rules are silent.

rrwoods
2015-02-21, 06:24 PM
If you're a player then ask your DM :smallamused:

It's an Su Incorporeal touch FWIW — about which the rules are silent.

The DM doesn't know, and wanted to use an official number if one existed.

aspekt
2015-02-22, 12:01 PM
This isn't the first time WotC lost the thesaurus. Treating ability damage as a type of damage leads to all kinds of nonsense.

Ha!

Ya I always considered it a problem in the opposite direction: too heavy a reliance on the Thesaurus in finding new and unexplained terms to refer to the same thing ;)