PDA

View Full Version : trying to pick the right reach weapon.

bjoern
2015-02-22, 08:49 AM
I'm building a guy that has a couple different tricks using attacks of opportunity. As such I want him to threaten a larger area. What weapon would be a good fit for him?

Rules:
1. No spiked chain
2. Must threaten adjacent squares, I can take the shorten grip feat for this or exotic proficiency if the weapon already has it.
3. Doesn't need bonuses to trip/disarm/charge/sunder. I don't have any feats invested into those maneuvers and I won't be doing them.
4. Doesn't need a range increment as it probably won't be used that way
5. Decent damage and crit
6. I'm going to be using power attack, so it needs to be two handed.

So far the best I've found is the Glaive for 1d10 20x3 .

I've read a few other threads here and there and a lot of names have been thrown around without stats and such.

Thanks

AkazilliaDeNaro
2015-02-22, 09:05 AM
kusari-gama? dungeon masters guide pg 145, it is basically a one handed version of the spiked chain.

Dread_Head
2015-02-22, 09:13 AM
I'm partial to the Lucerne Hammer from Arms and Equipment Guide. It is a martial two handed reach weapon with 2d4 piercing damage and a 20 x4 crit.

Gwachitallemall
2015-02-22, 09:22 AM
Talenta Sharash from the ECS. 1d10, 20 x4 (Without errata it is a 1d10 19-20 x4) Slashing, Reach weapon. It's exotic, but if you were a halfling in eberron you can get it to be martial.

bjoern
2015-02-22, 09:51 AM
I'm partial to the Lucerne Hammer from Arms and Equipment Guide. It is a martial two handed reach weapon with 2d4 piercing damage and a 20 x4 crit.

Sounds good. However, looking in AEG, it has Lucerne hammer listed as "large".

I need the weapon to be for a medium creature.

Also, I'll be using power attack, so it needs to be 2 handed.

Chester
2015-02-22, 10:01 AM

Well, there's the Monkey Grip feat from Complete Warrior (page 103). That lets you use a large weapon, but it comes with a penalty.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-02-22, 10:03 AM

That's because the AEG is 3.0 material. Translated to 3.5, it would be a two-handed weapon for a medium creature. In 3.0, weapons usable as two-handed by medium creatures were 'large' objects, which is a different kind of size than 'large' creatures (about one category different, that is, item size 'large' is about as big as creature size 'medium'*). A large creature would, under 3.0 rules, be able to use the Lucerne hammer one-handed. In 3.5, the same large creature would take a -2 penalty to attack rolls using it one-handed, because it's not built for one-handedness.

*Not sure if that's in the rules at all, just going by the typical size of a two-handed sword, up to 6' for a true two-hander, about the height of a human, a medium creature. Of course the sword weighs only a fraction of what the human weighs - about 1/30th.

Mr.Kraken
2015-02-22, 10:58 AM
If you're okay with Dragon material, then the rope dart/meteor hammer from Dragon 319 might just be the best reach weapon ever. It's two-handed and its damage is only 1d4, but it has 15ft reach and can also be used against adjacent foes, can be used to trip, provides +2 bonus to disarm attempts, is appliable to Weapon Finesse and can be used as a monk weapon is you have the feat.

Dread_Head
2015-02-22, 11:59 AM

Basically what ExLibrisMortis said, Large weapons in 3.0 became two handed weapons in 3.5.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-02-22, 12:26 PM
2. Must threaten adjacent squares, I can take the shorten grip feat for this or exotic proficiency if the weapon already has it.
Cheapest way (build-wise) to do this is armor spikes. They're far away? Glaive 'em. They're close? Shoulder spike 'em.

There's a 3.5 version in the Dragon Magazine Compendium. 2d4/x4, martial, two-handed, reach, blunt or piercing damage.

From the same source (and contradicting my previous point about armor spikes) is the Duom. Only a d8/x3, but you can attack adjacent targets with it, no feats needed. Still a martial weapon, and still two-handed.

ninjamaster1991
2015-02-22, 02:28 PM
If you're okay with Dragon material, then the rope dart/meteor hammer from Dragon 319 might just be the best reach weapon ever. It's two-handed and its damage is only 1d4, but it has 15ft reach and can also be used against adjacent foes, can be used to trip, provides +2 bonus to disarm attempts, is appliable to Weapon Finesse and can be used as a monk weapon is you have the feat.

I'm seconding this, but with the suggestion that a Use-Activated magic item of Enlarge Person only costs 1,000 gp - half as much as a +1 weapon - and doubles your reach with all weapons.

bjoern
2015-02-22, 03:07 PM
I'm seconding this, but with the suggestion that a Use-Activated magic item of Enlarge Person only costs 1,000 gp - half as much as a +1 weapon - and doubles your reach with all weapons.

Going off the srd rules for a use activated it is spell level x caster level x 2000gp

For continuous on a 1min/level, its doubled.

So it would be 4000gp. But yes, that is a good investment.

Knaight
2015-02-22, 07:29 PM
*Not sure if that's in the rules at all, just going by the typical size of a two-handed sword, up to 6' for a true two-hander, about the height of a human, a medium creature. Of course the sword weighs only a fraction of what the human weighs - about 1/30th.
There's an item size - weapon size conversion in the rules somewhere, and it's more than one size category. Also if we're using an actual two handed sword here 1/30th is pretty heavy - there are people only about 30 times heavier than the swords tended to be, but there are also people 50-60 times heavier and still in good fighting shape.

Darrin
2015-02-22, 08:40 PM
Dwarven Warpike (Races of Stone). Exotic, 2d6 damage, slashing or piercing, x3 crit, and if you're a dwarf you can use the optional Weapon Familiarity rules in Complete Warrior to treat it as a martial weapon.

Duom (Dragon Compendium). Martial weapon with reach (Dragon Compendium was printed after A&EG), 1d8 piercing, x3 crit, can strike adjacent. There's some language about a -2 penalty, but that's only for striking a second opponent after the first.

Longaxe (Complete Adventurer). Exotic, 1d12 slashing damage, x3 crit, but if you Power Attack for at least 3 points, it has reach until the start of your next turn. You have to live with not being able to attack adjacent until your turn comes around again, but that's nothing some armor spikes can't fix.