PDA

View Full Version : [3.5, Eberron] Private Detective Agency [IC]

esorscher
2015-02-22, 09:46 AM
Agency Offices, Underlook, Middle Dura
The office is neither remarkable nor exceptional. The faded shingle from the previous occupants, a clerical firm called Garner and Sons, still hangs outside. Stairs lead up to two rooms above an empty, abandoned restaurant. Upon entering from the stairwell, a visitor is confronted by a desk and a closed door. Behind the desk sits your receptionist, behind the receptionist is another door, leading to the office proper. The receptionist, a middle-aged human female, is reading the paper. The latest headline: Crop failings in the surrounding countryside cause food shortages in Sharn.

It is raining. You are in the office, seated on the couch, or behind the desk, or standing, gazing out the window at the filthy street below. Emaciated children and flea-ridden beggars line the cobblestone walkway, holding out plain wooden bowls, desperate. You hear the main door open, and some words exchanged between your receptionist and your visitor. Moments later, there is a knock on the door.

Arranging yourself to look thriving, you signal for the visitor to enter. The visitor is in fact two visitors. One you recognize immediately: Kalaash'arrna, the male half-orc running Information Acquisition for House Tharashk. One of you gestures for the two visitors to sit at the chairs in front of your desk, and the unfamiliar one does.

“This is Orkin Acadea,” Kalaash'arrna says, still standing. His voice is thick and husky. “He's looking to hire some private detectives. I'll let him tell you why. Orkin, as always, good to see you. I'll leave you here.”

Orkin Acadea nods, and the half-orc leaves, unless you stop him. Orkin is a short, squat man, with a thin gray mustache. His clothes are fine, indicating he is decidedly not from Lower Dura, but he is without jewelry or any ostentatious garb, indicating that he knows better than to wear such obvious signs of wealth in this neighborhood.

“Before I hire you,” Orkin says, his voice quavering. “I need to be assured of your discretion. Kalash'arrna says that you are inexperienced, but capable. He says that is what I need. What I need is for this matter to be handled... delicately. Is that something you can promise?”

Your situation is desperate, and there is only one thing to be said. You make the necessary assurances, and regardless of your intent to keep them, Orkin seems eager to believe. “My youngest daughter, Olivia is missing. I need her found, quickly and quietly.” He slides a small crystal across your desk, which you recognize as a memory crystal, an item magically enchanted to capture a scene. This is a scene of a young, bright girl, smiling as she sits on an upholstered sofa. Olivia Acadea looks to be about thirteen or fourteen, with short, curly brown hair and a button nose. The smile turns into a laugh, then back into a smile as the image loops, playing continuously, a moment of time captured in stone.

Your mind races, thinking up questions to ask Orkin Acadea as he sits there in your office.

Tiny
2015-02-22, 11:38 AM
Arthur shifted his attention from the poverty stricken street below as knocking signaled the arrival of the guests. He positioned himself by his colleagues. Of the current inhabitants in the office he was neither the tallest or sturdiest but clearly the oldest. Even though his black hair had up until now resisted the encroaching grayness that were common among the middle aged it was a battle that had not yet been decided by a long shot and time was not on his side. As the clients introduced themselves and the task at hand he nodded at all the right places but his mind wandered. What was Kalaash'arrnas stake in this? It did not feel polite to ask so he filed the mater in a compartment of his brain labeled 'curious'. There were after all work to be done.

He gives Orkin a confident reassuring look. A look completely at odds how he felt inside. Missing people was always a touchy problem, especially if they did not want to be found, and the city was big beyond measure. Well, they had accepted and Siberys knows they needed the break. "Of course mister Orkin. We will find her as fast as humanly possible. There are a couple of things we need to know to accomplish this though. For instance, how long have Olivia been missing?"

esorscher
2015-02-22, 02:09 PM
Orkin Acadea seems almost relieved that he has finally reached someone who will help him. The answers flow freely. “When the maid went to wake her yesterday morning she discovered her gone. This is not a... unique occurrence, but she always comes home at some point during the day. At lunch I began to worry, and when she hadn't come home by nightfall, I became concerned. I went to the Watch, but, well, you know how they are. One of them recommended Kalash'arrna, and he recommended you. I know she didn't run away—why would she?” He is shaking his head. “I thought giving her a loose rein would make her happy, you know? Let her learn from her mistakes, be there to support her, but...” He is starting to choke up with emotion, but swallows it down and looks at you, eyes watering, “If I had been more strict, would she still be safe?” He wipes his face with his sleeve and as his arm falls, you see his expression set in grim resolve.

Lughaidh
2015-02-22, 10:47 PM
Lugh had been fairly relaxed on the couch. Time between cases were some of the most painful. He could stand at the window and watch the city streets... full of crime and screams and filth. No, he had seen enough of that in his life. Sleep was the better option. Close the eyes, clear the noise, and shut off the brain. The day had other plans though.

The door swinging open brought Lugh to attention, and he sat up straight once he realized these were potential clients. He refrained from talking. The young detective had found that his job in these situations was to look competent and keep his own mouth free of foot. Handling clients was a delicate task. Still, he couldn't help but let slip a soft grunt as Orkin described how helpful the Watch had been.

Marlowe
2015-02-22, 11:48 PM
Emilia has remained in the background during the preamble, trusting in her partners to speak with more discretion than she's inclined. As the image of Olivia appears, she steps forward and studies it with an unblinking stare.

At Mr. Acadea's last question, her eyes flicker to him. "That's not a question we can answer. She's at a--there is no way of phrasing this that does not make me sound callous--at an age where a girl's spirits are often inclined to overwhelm her wisdom. And she's done such things before, you say. Which makes her quite spirited. And which means there's hope. Less than two days--" She sits on the couch opposite Mr Acadea, next to Lugh, and unships the stabled sheaves of parchement that serve as a notebook.

"Perhaps you might know, Mr Acadea. If she's wandered off before, where exactly she went those times? And if you don't know, who might?"

King Tius
2015-02-23, 09:03 AM
Lania sits behind the desk reading a newspaper printed from somewhere much further up the spires than you'd expect to see down here. When the clients arrive she carefully folds it up and tosses it in a drawer, saving it for later. From the same drawer she whips out a notebook and quill. When Orkin begins speaking, she jots notes furiously as the questions and answers begin to fly. When there's a lull in the exchange she pops her head up and asks a few of her own:

"Do you have any enemies, Mr. Acadea? Anyone who might want to hurt or extort you? How about Olivia? Anyone giving her trouble lately? Overly-ambitious suitors, anything of that nature?"

esorscher
2015-02-23, 09:14 AM
Orkin nods at Emilia's words. "My oldest daughter, Ophelia, was much the same. But never like this..." his voice trails off. "The two girls were close. I spent much of my time working, I'm afraid I don't know much about my daughters' social lives. Ophelia might know more; as I said, the two girls spent much of their time together, at least at home. No suitors that I'm aware of, though I have been trying to arrange matches for both of them in the Sixty Families, without success. I guess my blood isn't rich enough, yet." He glances sideways. All of you get the sense that he knows more than he is leading on, but about what, you can't be certain. Lania notices that his voice went higher as he talked about why he had been unable to marry his daughters off, as if he were covering something.

"No, no enemies, no one who would resort to this. Sure, being a merchant has its risks and makes rivalries--but I can't imagine who would kidnap my daughter to get to me, and I've yet to receive a ransom note."

Tiny
2015-02-23, 01:13 PM
Soo.. she has done this before and there are things he is not telling us. Hardly surprising though. Arthur studied image in the crystal carefully. Not an only child. Lessens the risk of this being a run from abusive behavior at least.. She is pretty enough to have garnered attentions from slavers I suppose, and that would mean no ransom. The years in the watch had taught him to expect the worst but.. Sometimes that was not enough, and in this new line of work the clients did not appreciate when you gave them the "real" odds. They wanted to hear something sugarcoated to give them a sliver of hope. He pushed the feelings aside. Focus Arthur! Let's see.. "You mentioned this happening before. Do you know where she usually goes?"

esorscher
2015-02-23, 01:20 PM
Orkin shrugs sadly. "'Out' is all she tells me. Taverns, I suppose. She likes to dance, and the other night I heard her talking about that light show." He sighs. "I'm sorry I can't be more helpful... if I had only paid her more attention, I would know what the kids are doing, where they are going. I work so hard to provide for my family; if I had only worked less, she'd have neither the means nor opportunity to have gotten into... whatever she's gotten into. "

Marlowe
2015-02-23, 08:46 PM
Emilia's eyes widen a little as she mention "taverns" in the context of a girl of fairly tender age. Although she would have to admit she'd not exactly been a model of maidenly propriety herself. "If it's not too disturbing, we should probably have a little chat to Ophelia. I apologize for causing your family further distress, but needs be done. We should probably have a search of Olivia's room as well, mainly to eliminate the possibility that somebody broke in and took her." She scrawls, among her notes, the words "light-show" and circles it.

"Been too long since I was in tavern. Gnora's keeping me sweating around a hilt. Anyone hear about any that do a "light show", or anything that answer to that description?" Her eyes briefly unfocus as she dredges through her own memories.

[roll0]

esorscher
2015-02-23, 09:04 PM
Orkin nods. He reaches into the pocket of his vest and removes a business card, which he slides across the desk. On it his home address, in Broken Arch. "My daughter is home, now. I'll make sure she stays there until you meet with her."

Technically, Knowledge Local applies to a specific location. I think this is a rather narrow application of the skill, and I'm not going to require you to take ranks in Knowledge (Underlook), Knowledge (Broken Arch), etc. Instead, I'll apply your Knowledge (Local) check to the district (Upper Dura, Lower Dura, etc.) that you are in, unless you specify otherwise. I'm assuming you'll want to know about Lower Dura as well, so here is a roll for that: [roll0]

(When I originally typed this up, I mistakenly placed your current location (Underlook) in Lower Dura, and intended to give you additional information for Middle Dura, rather than vice versa. Enjoy the abundance of information you now have.)

Nearby in Middle Dura, there are plenty of places--taverns, bars, inns--that Olivia might have gone to. Hareth's Folly is filled with inexpensive inns, pubs, restaurants and taverns--and when the Race of Eight Winds is happening, Hareth's Folly is overflowing with visitors. Fortunately, now is not that time. The largest tavern, The King of Fire, always has a good-size crowd. And closer, in your own neighborhood of Underlook, there's a hundred or so places that are in various states of decay since Menthis Plateau became the unofficial center for Sharn's nightlife. Ghallanda Hall is the brightest spot, still operated by House Ghallanda. They have the best entertainment in all Dura, and the acts on the main stage vary nightly.

There are a number of entertainment establishments in Lower Dura that she might have visited, but Broken Arch is a neighborhood in Middle Dura, and perhaps she visited establishments there as well. Callestan has over a hundred taverns, but the most notable are The Broken Anvil Inn, a small tavern with a handful of rooms operated by House Ghallanda, and The Cracked Mirror, an operation frequented by changelings and shifters. Malleon's Gate also has a handful of inns and taverns, but the only one worth mentioning is Bloodstone Inn. Malleon's Gate is populated by goblins and goblinoids, and the Bloodstone Inn is no different.

As for a light show, there is, of course, Silvermist. You've heard of an illusionist there who fascinates audiences with bizarre and compelling hypnotic patterns.

Lughaidh
2015-02-24, 12:41 AM
"I'm sure you will..." was the nicest response Lugh could muster as he stood up from the couch. Making his way over to the desk he picks up the business card swiftly and begins to study it. "Broken Arch... what sort of business you run? Might not matter, but any detail could be important." Lugh says as he flips the card back onto the table. He forced a smile for the client, but there was possibly a little contempt behind his eyes for this seemingly neglectful father.

Tiny
2015-02-24, 07:35 AM
Waiting until Orkin had answered Lughs question, Arthur spoke again. "Very well then mister Orkin." Get him relaxed. Arthur reaches for his pocket and finds a pouch of tobacco. "I believe we have got a firm base to begin our investigation.." Set the bait. An unasked question hangs in the air as he similarly produces a beautiful pipe from the folds of his clothing. "But.." Make him sweat a bit. He pauses again as he gently but meticulously prepare the bowl of the pipe with one of many specialized tools created for the sole benefit of promoting the bad habit of inhaling plant smoke. "I do have this nagging hunch there might be something important we are missing.." Arthur looked up from his task and gave Orkin a sympathetic look framed by a thoughtful face. Lead him in the right direction.. "Anything you can think of Orkin? Anything you might have left out that you did not feel would mater? No mater how trivial or far removed from your daughters disappearance it might initially seem it could be pivotal to finding her." There.. Let's see if he bites.

Diplomacy: [roll0]
To get Orkin to open up more and perhaps tell us what he did not wish to speak about earlier.

esorscher
2015-02-24, 09:45 AM
At Lugh's question, Orkin nods. "I'm an importer. And exporter," he says. "I'm an importer/ exporter. I do most of my business in the Bazaar, but I also work with some of the smaller banks."

As Arthur speaks, his face moves from his neutral expression to one showing a growing sense of embarrassment. "My oldest daughter, Ophelia... about six months ago I found her drinking tansy tea." He shakes his head sadly. "It's hard to find a good marriage for a woman after that, and if one daughter has that reputation..." his voice trails off.

Tansy tea is a popular abortifacient.

Marlowe
2015-02-24, 08:30 PM
Emilia's face is impassive. "Then at least you have evidence that your daughters are not stupid. It may be of no effect to this matter Mr Acadea; but did you ever ascertain the identity of Ophelia's...beau? And how the relationship progressed? Those that prefer their girls young are often not adverse, as their subject matures, to swapping them out for a...younger model." She raises an eyebrow.

"I must ask; where is the girls mother in all of this? Might we speak with her as well? It is, of course, absurd to think that in this situation she would not have shared with you all she might know, but we would be unprofessional to not hear her thoughts."

King Tius
2015-02-24, 08:46 PM
Lania had planned on asking Ophelia about why her father was being so cagey, but she can't complain about getting the answer right now. She has no question at the moment so she picks up the memory crystal and begins jotting down a description of the girl into her notes. If the group is going to have to canvass the bars, they'll need to either make copies of the memory crystal or get some portraits drawn of Ophelia. Dragonshards don't grow on trees, so Lania starts considering who to go to in order to have some drawings quickly made.

Knowledge (local: Underlook): [roll0]

esorscher
2015-02-24, 09:26 PM
"Sadly, their mother died several years ago. As for Ophelia... she didn't tell me," he says, looking sadly down at his hands. "My relationship with both my daughters was affected by their mother's death. We all... we all took it hard, Ophelia perhaps the most. She was old enough to understand what was going on. Olivia was still a child, then--the death itself may have had less of an impact than her mother's absence in her upbringing. Nannies and maids can never take the place of a mother." He sighs, clearly disappointed in himself and embarrassed by his apparent failure as a parent. "Look, I know I messed up, raising her. Raising both of them. But I can't change that, now. All I can do is get her back."

You might be able to find an artist selling portraits in the Bazaar, but there aren't many patrons of the arts in Middle Dura to support such commercial endeavors. You may have better luck in other districts.

Marlowe
2015-02-24, 09:57 PM
Emilia blows out her breath. Facts were needed now. Not self-recriminations. "Difficult age that is for a girl. All your curves and drives turning up suddenly present and correct and hungry, no idea how to use them, no-one ever giving you a straight answer, and all the boys your own age still, well; boys. And difficult for a father to manage such alone." She gives Mr Acadea a nod.

"I think a couple of us need to speak to Miss Ophelia sharpish. I think in this situation the older sister might well be an element of consequence. Rest of us should ask some questions around the taverns. Best no names. That sound like a start?" She eyes the memory crystal. "We'll be needing more images of the young lady, unless you'd like us to start carrying that from den to den."

esorscher
2015-02-24, 10:02 PM
Orkin nods, comforted somewhat. "I have some drawings at my home. They aren't as recent, but the likeness is there."

Lughaidh
2015-02-25, 12:12 AM
Lugh makes his way to where his sword and coat hang. "I nominate myself for the taverns. Better at bar talk than girl talk," he says as fastens the sheath to his belt. "You up for it, old man?" Lugh says with a nod towards Arthur.

Tiny
2015-02-25, 03:15 PM
Listening trough the stream of hardships and worries Orkin sang forth. Arthur tested the airflow of the yet to be lit pipe. It had to be just right or it would burn too quickly. Kids seems to be quite a handful. He had not expected the dam to burst open and flood the office with so much family history. Well, he certainly spilled the beans alright. There was things there that could be important. If the sisters where as close as Orkin claimed, there might very well be an inspired search for a lover of her own behind Olivias absence. He for a brief moment involuntary thought of Selene. Where are you now? It still pained him. The girls seemed to have mister Orkin well in hand by this point so when Lugh called, Arthur did not think twice before rising from his position, giving Orkin an encouraging nod and a small pat on the shoulder as he rose. "We will find her Orkin."

A smile hiding behind his lips at the younger mans eagerness. Pups they used to call them in the watch, those with fire in their veins and a burning drive. The analogy continued with the experienced watchdogs, bloodhounds, the desk mutts and finally what had made it impossible to continue.. The strays, they took bribes and made the force rot from the inside. "Just try to keep me away youngster." Arthur got his coat from a nearby hat stand and sheathed his crossbow and sap on his own belt. Hopefully he would not need them, but better safe then sorry.

Marlowe
2015-02-26, 02:05 AM
Emilia nods at Lugh and Arthur. "Before you two go out rubbing eyebows with Sharn's best and brightest barflies, how about you come to the Acadea residence with us to pick up some images of Miss Olivia? Lania and I can handle the family interviews." She flicks an eyebrow at Lania. "Ok with you?"

esorscher
2015-02-26, 09:04 AM
Underlook, Middle Dura
The Underlook district has seen better days. Dingy inns and restaurants line the streets, but many old businesses have closed and been transformed into wretched tenements. Nonetheless, cheap lodging is plentiful and travelers from across Khorvaire walk the streets.

You walk out of your office and down the steps to the street below. Your presence is familiar to the beggars and thieves, and they know better than to pester you. The rain, however, does not relent as you follow Orkin Acadea to his home in Broken Arch.

Broken Arch, Middle Dura
Rows of stone houses circle the central toweres of this district. The stone is worn and cracks are beginning to show. The streets are surprisingly quiet and empty. The people view strangers with suspicion and fear, and hurry toward their destinations.

The manor houses here are few, and avoided by those with the means to. But for lesser families and merchants trying to climb the social ladder, a Middle Ward address is far preferable to the alternatives below, despite Broken Arch's treacherous past. As you make your way to the Acadea house, you spy a trio of goblinoids lurking in the alleyway, with a shady look about them. They take notice of you, but do not make any moves toward you.

You arrive at the Acadea house. It is a small manor house with cracking paint, but the structure appears solid, at least from the outside. Orkin leads you up the steps to the front door, which opens with his key. “Ophelia,” he calls loudly as he enters, “Some detectives are here to talk to you,” There is no response, but that seems to be normal. “This way,” he says, leading you into his office.

On the wall of his office is a large family portrait of four: Orkin, his apparent wife, and his two daughters. The oldest, Ophelia, is as old as Olivia is now, and Olivia looks no older than seven, but is still recognizable. Orkin sits at his desk and opens one of his filing cabinet drawers, and removes a file of medium thickness. In it are sketches labeled by date—at first, only of himself, then of a happy couple, then of the couple and a baby, and so forth, a progression of his life and family captured on paper. Orkin gazes at the collection wistfully. “On second thought,” Orkin says, “I'd rather you take the memory crystal. These... are too precious.” He closes the file and puts it away.

He calls for the maid, a half-elf of relative youth. “Please show my guests into the sitting room,” Orkin says. “And tell Ophelia to join us immediately.” The maid nods, and leads you into a comfortably appointed room, with two velvet upholstered couches and large paintings on the walls, as well as an unlit fireplace in the center of the room. (If you wish to leave to canvas the bars, she shows you to the door before heading upstairs to retrieve Ophelia.)

After a few minutes, a young woman around twenty comes into the room. From the paintings you have seen and the family resemblance, she is clearly Ophelia Acadea. Orkin is likely still in his office, but Ophelia seems undeterred. She sits down opposite you and looks at you expectantly. “Well? What is it, then?”

Marlowe
2015-02-26, 11:47 PM
Emilia stands up briefly to shake Ophelia's hand. Her face as expressionless as possible. Those with something to hide, she'd noticed from time to time, were oft the most courteous and amiable when questioned, seeking to turn the conversation to areas benign to them. It was the truely innocent that were most like to become truculent. She wasn't sure which direction Ophelia's coolness pointed.

"Pleased to meet you, Miss Acadea. I am Miss Torres, of Garner and Sons. And this is my associate Miss d'Orien, the brains of the outfit. We're here to investigate the disappearance of your sister Olivia, and hopefully to speedily expedite her recovery. You might find our interest in you tangential, but anything you can tells us about Olivia's behaviour, contacts, and movements might turn out to be crucial." She keeps her tone flat and businesslike.

[roll0]

Emilia quizzes Ophelia on Olivia's friends and favourite places to go, her previous escapades in sneaking out, the relationship between the sisters, and the significance of the phrase "Light Show". Scribbling notes as she goes. She'll make a point of keeping to facts and not ask for speculations except when there's nothing else to record. "Dancing, she enjoys. Are there any places in particular she liked to go? Did you go together? Did she go alone? The maid. What is her name and how long has she worked here?"

At some point she leans in closer. "Now, Miss Acadea, you might find this intrusive but it must be asked. I know from my own experience Tansy tea is not drunk for the flavour." She watches very carefully for the reaction there. "If you had a paramour, did Olivia know about him? Did he know about Olivia? Did the two have any contact that you know of?"

Tiny
2015-02-27, 07:58 AM
A bit put of by not getting any more images but realizing the memory crystal should be more than enough to question the bars. They would just have to do the questioning themselves instead of relying on any underground contacts. Still it would mean a slower investigation and time was a precious commodity if it turned out foul play was at work. Leaving with Lugh and the memory crystal through the door. "Now we know where the Acadeas live at least." The rain did not improve his mood overly much. They left for the closest bar in the broken arch. It is probably not where Olivia usually goes but why not begin where you are. Using the time on the street to silently discuss potential better places to continue the search. The mysterious "Light show" came up in the conversation more than a few times.

esorscher
2015-02-27, 09:43 AM
Acadea Home, Broken Arch, Middle Dura

Ophelia seems neither interested nor perturbed in your questions, though she does want to help. Her answers give no indication of dishonesty, but neither are they overflowing with length and depth.

“Olivia's friends? Same as mine, I guess. Tony, Calyn, and Fast Nicky. Where would we go? Wherever the action was. A different tavern every night. We're close, as sisters would be, but she can be so annoying sometimes. Still, I wish I knew where she was. The night she disappeared, that was... two nights ago? We were out at some tavern, I don't remember the name, it was like, the third tavern of the night. She went off with some guy she knew—I didn't know him, but I'd seen him before, a half-orc, tall and clean-shaven, not ugly like most half-orcs. Long black hair in a ponytail and clean clothes, he was low-class, of course, but he took care of himself. It wasn't strange for her to go off with him and not to see her until she came home the next morning.”

“The light show? Oh, that would be at the Silvermist. There's a gnome there, he makes the craziest things happen with his magic. It's quite a trip.” she smiles, remembering her experience. “Of course, you can't do that every night. Dreams should happen when you sleep, not when you're awake,” she nods, as if repeating something someone had told her.

It's at that point that Orkin Acadea returns. He sits down next to his eldest daughter and listens to your questions and her answers, without interrupting. “Dancing, sure. We'd go to a tavern, we'd drink, we'd dance. It's not like there's a law against either,” she flashes a look at her father, and it looks as if the line was an oft-repeated one as he sighs, looking defeated before he'd even taken the field. “We'd always go together, but like I said, she'd usually split off from the group at some point during the night. I'd talked to her about it, but she said she was old enough to take care of herself. Besides, she had her dagger.” Ophelia reaches into her sleeve and reveals her own small blade, then stows it away once more.

Orkin is able to give you information about the maid, and does. “We use a service. Clean Sweep. I can get you their contact information. They send a new girl every month. This month it's... Je'neal, I think.” He calls out for her, and the half-elf comes, standing in the doorway. “Je'neal, these detectives may have some questions for you.” The half-elf nods, and stands demurely, waiting.

At the mention of Tansy Tea, Ophelia raises an eyebrow, and looks from you to her father. She seems unwilling to speak on the topic while her father is present.

Broken Arch, Middle Dura

There are no bars or taverns in Broken Arch, but Hareth's Folly is the nearest district and well known for its entertainment.

Hareth's Folly, Middle Dura
The buildings of this district are a bizarre mishmash of architectural styles and materials. Narrow spires stand across from squat brick keeps and densewood halls. In addition to the bridges connecting the great towers of the district, a maze of suspended rope, wood, and stone roads connect the upper levels with the towers, creating the impression of a mad spiderweb. Music and song can be heard echoing from various towers, and people laugh and run through the streets.

You begin your search at the nearest bar or tavern and circle outward, moving away from the home in a looping fashion, questioning the bartenders at every place you enter. All of them recognize the girl from the crystal, but none can place her with certainty. She was either there the night in question (two nights ago), or she wasn't, but she'd been there recently. None of them have seen her last night. She seems like a frequent visitor to many of the places, always early in the night, and sometimes at the night's end as well. She traveled in a group of five. No one makes mention of her age, or name. At this time of day, the patrons of these establishments are the type who would have trouble telling you what day of the week it was, and would likely be of little use in an investigation.

The King of Fire is the largest and arguably best establishment in the area, and the last of the taverns you enter. The blackstone and brass building is alive with activity even in the early afternoon, and the bustling lunch crowd provides a certain energy. A halfling hostess greets you at the door. “Table for two?” she asks, holding menus.

Marlowe
2015-02-27, 09:14 PM
Emilia grits her teeth a little behind closed lips, puts down her pen, and stoppers her ink bottle. She'd reallybeen hoping that Orkin would stay away while she questioned Ophelia. "Mr Acadea. Perhaps you could show my associate--" a nod to Lana, "--to Olivia's room? That needs to be looked at sharpish so we can work out exactly how she got out. Take Miss Je'neal."

IF we can get Mr Acadea out of the room; she leans forward again and speaks to Ophelia. Low. "Anything you tell me might help find Olivia. It is not to be prattled back to your father. Please tell me who put you a position to be drinking that stuff, and whether they had any contact with Olivia, or if she had any knowledge of them."

Lughaidh
2015-02-27, 11:48 PM
"Yeah, sure..." Lugh says in surprisingly passable halfling.

As the hostess shows them to their table, Lugh removes his rain soaked cloak. Laying it on the back of his chair he takes a seat. Searching was tedious work, but the young detective didn't mind it. Better than staring at the walls of Garner & Sons. No, his eyes were better put to work here. Lugh leans back in his chair a bit, casually, he scans the establishment. Once the hostess takes her leave, Lugh turns to Arthur.

"I don't think this place will be any different. We might be going about this the wrong way."

esorscher
2015-03-01, 10:16 AM
Downstairs, Acadea Home, Broken Arch, Middle Dura
At Emilia's suggestion, Orkin and Je'neal show Lana up to Olivia's room. Ophelia nods, earnestly wanting to help, even if she is not sure what good her answer will do. "It's... I'm not sure who the father was. I didn't have a steady paramour, and... there's a few guys it could have been. But there's no way to be certain. I can't imagine any of them doing anything with Olivia, though. I didn't start... being intimate with them until I was almost eighteen."

Upstairs, Acadea Home, Broken Arch, Middle Dura
Olivia's room, like the rest of the house, is well appointed. There is a comfortable looking bed with a thick quilt and throw pillows. There is a small wastebasket under a desk with drawers, two nightstands each with a drawer, on which sit candles and a book of tindertwigs. There is a mirror next to a door on one of the side walls, ajar enough to show a dresser and clothes hanging on hangers. There is a bookcase, and an upholstered armchair with a foot rest. "This is her room," Orkin says. "We haven't touched it since she left."

King of Fire, Hareth's Folly, Middle Dura
After a few minutes, a halfling waitress comes by with two complimentary light ales. She sets the mugs down on your table and asks if you are ready to order.

Tiny
2015-03-01, 05:38 PM
"Yes, I think we are grasping at straws here. Perhaps we should try to find some of her friends instead of her directly. " Arthur replies to Lugh with a sigh. It had been a long day and his joint aced from all the walking. He graciously accepted the beer as the waitress appeared. Feeling like a man that had walked through a desert and finally found a oasis he took a large mouthful. "Ahhh." He breathed out with a delighted sound. "How about a large serving of information as an appetizer?" He gives the serving woman a disarming smile. "You see. We have been looking all over town for this young woman." He shows her the memory crystal. "Strange enough she seems to have disappeared without a trace and her father is quite worried. Perhaps you have seen her before? Alone or in company." He took another sip of the beer and reached down into his purse to retrieve and placed two gold coins on the table in front of himself and the waitress. Spinning a third idly between his fingers as he studied the halfling with a quizzical expression.

Money talks, is the general idea.
Diplomacy to get her friendly towards us.[roll0]
Gather information, anything about Olivia and the crowd she usually hangs around with etc. (I guess we should have made this check as we started the bar tour) :[roll1]
Sense motive to see if she is being honest about the answers: [roll2]

King Tius
2015-03-01, 11:36 PM
LanIa smiles politely but lets Emilia do most of the talking with Ophelia. Better to not confuse the girl with two people asking questions. Might put her on the defensive. When Orkin takes her to the girl's bedroom, Lania wastes no time starting to turn the place over. She's respectful with the possessions but does a thorough job, looking under cushions and in all the little places a girl might hide something. She recalls her own well-furnished bedroom growing up and all the hiding places she had to keep notes and other such things form the maids' prying eyes. As she works, she casts Detect Magic and gives the room a thorough sweep, letting Orkin watch her work. As she goes, she asks Orkin a few questions, hoping to get him talking as she goes through the girl's garbage. She'll also keep a look out for any pictures or drawings or letters that might seem useful.

"I'm sorry to ask such a sensitive question, but given the circumstances, I hope you'll oblige me. How did your wife die?"

Marlowe
2015-03-02, 04:37 AM
Emilia gives Ophelia what she hopes is an understanding nod. Although given that Emilia's not naturally ingratiating it possibly looks simply dismissive. "That's fine. I needed some idea of how thoroughly your intimate circles intermeshed. By the sound of it not all that much. But if you see any of these people again, and they mention Olivia, please let us know.

"Now." She says with a change-subject tone. "We're probably going to want to speak to these others you've mentioned. Tony. Calyn. Flash Harry. Our sporty Half-Orc gentleman. I'm not saying they're suspects but they might have seen something. I'd like your help letting us know where they can be found. Also--" She looks thoughtful. "This is just a wild thought of mine; but since seeing the "Light show" at Silvermist; you haven't been getting any odd urges? Like a sudden compulsion to wander places you normally wouldn't?"

esorscher
2015-03-02, 07:36 PM
Downstairs, Acadea Home, Broken Arch, Middle Dura

Ophelia nods. "Fast Nicky," she corrects. "I'm not sure how much they can tell you that I haven't already, but I can give you their addresses." She walks over to a desk and pulls out ink and parchment, and after a few moments she hands you a piece of parchment with a handful of addresses. She glances sideways, recalling the events at the Silvermist and since. "As for the Silvermist--no, nothing unusual."

Upstairs, Acadea Home, Broken Arch, Middle Dura

After a thorough search, Lania finds a small vial of translucent blue liquid and a small pouch of gold coins, hidden away in a false book. "She was struck by a horse-cart," Orkin answers. Both he and the maid look surprised by your findings.

It's Dreamlily.

The halfling waitress smiles at you friendlily. "Oh, sure, I've seen her. Usually comes in with a group of four or five, at nights. I'm sorry I can't tell you more," she says. "But it's busy around here and I don't have a lot of time to chat with the guests. I'll come back in a few when you're ready to order." She walks off, leaving you to talk to each other.

Marlowe
2015-03-02, 07:50 PM
Emilia nods. "Yeah, that last was just a random thought. Suppose you wanted an inconspicuous way to sneak enchantments onto people. Maybe to set them up for a kidnap later. What better cover than a magic show? But probably just a wild fancy...Thank you for the addresses." She scribbles the address of Garner & Sons on a piece of parchment, and hands that over. "Here's ours, in case you might like to speak to us about anything without your father hovering about. Now I'll need check Olivia's room and speak to the Maid before going, but--" she looks at the young woman thoughtfully.

"We have NOT ruled out the possibility that Olivia's disappearance might be part of an extortion attempt against your father. The lack of any demand might speak against that--or it could mean that Olivia has eluded some attempt on her and is in hiding. In either case, you could well be in danger yourself." She gives that a couple of seconds to sink in. "Would you like to accompany us while we visit your friends? For their reassurance and your protection? No pressure."

Lughaidh
2015-03-04, 12:19 AM
"Excellent work, Old Man." Lugh chuckles quietly as he brings his ale to his lips. He takes a quick sip and sets the drink back down. "I only see two choises... either we wait around for her friends to show up this evening or we try to find out about this 'light show'. Regardless, we should figure out what these buddies of hers look like." As he waits for a response, Lugh looks around the tavern again, searching for an younger male employee. Maybe Olivia had a crush that worked here. Was a shot in the dark, but they hadn't had much success with anything else so far.

1d20+4Might require a different roll. wasn't sure.
I completely screwed this up....

King Tius
2015-03-04, 11:50 AM
Lania pops the stopper and sniffs the liquid, shrugging when she doesn't identify the substance. She pockets the vial and demonstratively places the coin pouch back into the false book before replacing it on its shelf.

"Mr. Orkin, if you'll give us a minute, please" she says, nodding her head towards the maid.

Once the man has left the room: "Anything you can tell me that you don't want him to hear? I'm sure you know all the dirt on this family, both figuratively and literally."

[roll0]

Tiny
2015-03-04, 05:16 PM
Surprised she had not went for the coins subtly offered. A well paid waitress? There is always a first I guess. Arthur still left them on the table as a reminder for her when she would come back."More like dumb luck I would say. If there ever was a fools errand to undertake... This is it. And a fine pair of fools we make. We hardly know what to ask for." He let out a small chuckle of his own in response and drank some more of the beer. "At least the beers decent." He smiled.

"Agreed. That Lightshow business could be important." Arthur drummed his fingers on the table in thought. What is the matter with me? Can't think on an empty stomach? The truth of the matter was blunt and hit him like a bottle of fine Merlot in the back of the skull during a bar fight and he resigned himself to it. No, apparently not. He sighed. "But first things first. Let us grab a bit to eat and question the waitress some more about the companions Olivia was seen with. That way we at least have some more leads, possible witnesses or perpetrator to talk to. Who knows what they could tell us?" Yeah, who knows.. Olivia might lie bleeding in a ditch somewhere for all we know. He silenced his inner cynic with another swig of fine malt. It was a temporary respite of course but it felt good anyway.

esorscher
2015-03-04, 08:12 PM
Acadea House, Broken Arch, Middle Dura

Ophelia shakes her head when Emilia asks her to join her in questioning her friends, and as you walk up the stairs to Olivia's room, you reread the note and notice that there is no address for the half-orc. This is understandable, considering she does not know the half-orc's name.

Emilia enters Olivia's room just as Lania is replacing the false book on the shelf. Lania successfully identifies the substance as dreamlily, a powerful and addicting opiate popular since its use in the Last War. Like most drugs, it is illegal both to possess and to use. Dreamlily numbs the body and mind, leaving one feeling at peace, but too frequent use can have a devastating effect.

Although friendly enough, the maid shakes her head. "I've only been working here a short time," she says.

The waitress returns and takes your order. The crowd continues to grow, but she takes your coins and promises to come back and answer questions on her break. She returns with your food, then departs. As you are eating, she returns, and takes a seat at your table. "I don't know how helpful I can be. She came in a group of four or five, it was her, another woman who looked like her but older, another woman, and two men. She was definitely the youngest of the group, but by how much I can't say." She takes another look at the memory crystal. "She didn't look this young when I saw her, but I guess that could be makeup or maybe just because I wasn't looking that close and she was in a group." She pauses, remembering. "One of the man was a half-elf, and the other was catfolk."

Lughaidh
2015-03-05, 12:17 AM
Lugh eats his meal quickly and in silence. A habit from his youth. Though he had long climbed out of the slums of Oldkeep, some things stick to the mind like dirt deep under your fingernails. Finally, when the waitress returns to the table to talk, he asks "How about your workmates? The young girl ever make friends with them? You said she was somewhat regular."

Marlowe
2015-03-05, 02:50 AM
Emilia gives the maid a nod. "Understandable. We know you're working for an agency. Although out of interest--would it be too much to ask who was your last employer?"

If this is an extortion scheme, is she part of it? Nine hells. I'm seven-to-ten sure that Olivia's just run off for a wild few nights to expand the borders of her life experience and get to discover her inner trollop. Or express her outer trollop. Or whatever the kids are calling it these days. But I need to think of everything. She looks around the room, looking for any sign that might indicate somebody could have broken in or out. "You didn't here anything the night she disappeared? What had she done the previous day?"

[roll0]

esorscher
2015-03-06, 07:31 PM
Acadea House, Broken Arch, Middle Dura

The maid names an unfamiliar nobleman, likely one of the smaller of the Sixty Families. The maid is also unable to tell you anything new about Olivia's activity--she went out, as she normally does and as Ophelia had described. You do not notice anything that Lania was not able to, with her more thorough search.

"No, we don't really socialize with any of the customers, not even the regulars. The night bartender might know more, but I couldn't be certain. At best he'd probably just know their drink orders. Have you ever worked in the service industry? There's so many faces here, you don't want to get too close, too specific, with any of them. Just smile and nod as they tell you whatever it is they have to say, take their orders and bring them what they want."

Tiny
2015-03-08, 12:58 PM
"Not unless you call the watch a service industry.. I would have thought tips came both more often and in larger amounts if you knew the regulars and as a waitress you have an excellent memory do you not?" Arthur remarked to the girl. He looked around the room. "The night bartender you say? Do you know when he comes in for his shift? By the way, is cat-folk and half elves usual customers here?" It could be a clue to who the men where if it was not the case.

esorscher
2015-03-08, 01:49 PM

"His shift starts in a couple of hours," she says. "And in a smaller joint, sure, you might get to know the regulars better, but here, it's always busy. And they weren't gamblers--the gamblers we get to know better, cause they tip better. They were just drinkers and eaters, like you." She continues, "Cat-folk, half-elves, sure. We get all sorts in here. Sharn's a big city, lots of people, lots of races. Coin is coin."

Marlowe
2015-03-09, 01:16 AM
Emilia turns to Lania. "Got some names and addresses to check." she pats the notebook meaningfully to the side of her head. "Best we check back with the boys. First though. Got anything on this end?"

King Tius
2015-03-09, 02:52 PM
Lania pulls the vial from her pocket and waggles it at Emilia. "Dreamlily. Definitely a lead. We can probably work the dealer's name out of her friends. If she's crossed him in some way, she wouldn't be the first person to go missing because of it. Let's get going." She nods to the maid and leads the way out of the house, stopping to thank Orkin for letting them look around and ask a few questions. "We'll be in touch when we know more." Once they've left the house, she asks Emilia: "Back to the office to wait for them, or should we try and track them down?"

Tiny
2015-03-09, 03:17 PM
Arthur scratched his chin and thanked the waitress.Figures. Same of today's rotten luck. "Well asking around in bars is a bit of a wild goose chase anyway." He said to his comrade while letting out a sigh. "No need to sit here and wait until then. Let's eat up and head back to the office. I say we come by later tonight and talk to the bartender. The others might have had more luck on their side.. Besides.. I'm itching for a smoke right now."

esorscher
2015-03-09, 08:08 PM

The various investigators return to the office within five minutes of each other to compare notes.

Marlowe
2015-03-09, 09:55 PM
"What an incredibly fortunate random happenstance that we should all end up back here at the same time." says Emilia, not smiling. "OK. We have brought three people to talk to, a forth to track down, and some odd potion to investigate. What did you bring?"

Lughaidh
2015-03-09, 10:46 PM
"Tired legs and a full belly..." Lugh says as he throws his coat back on the rack and begins removing his sword belt carefully. "We might talk to a bartender at King of Fire later tonight, but all in all the search was not fruitful."

Tiny
2015-03-11, 04:22 AM
"The girl has been in every bar in the entire region it seems. Yet no one claims to knows anything more than that they seen her recently." He went for his pipe and started preparing it for the tobacco with something of a ritualistic flair. "So far we have a source that claims she has been hanging around with an older girl, probably the sister, but you can never be sure, a half elf and a cat folk. That is about it."

Marlowe
2015-03-11, 04:36 AM
"Okay. So we have the names and addresses of a "Fast Nicky", a "Tony" and a "Calyn" we should be speaking to. All friends of Ophelia and Olivia both. Also, we need to track down a well-scrubbed young Half-Orc gentleman, name unknown to Ophelia it seems, that she was hanging around with recently. Him, we really need to track down. It's probable one of these other three will know more of him."

She looks thoughtful. "I'll just remind everyone, not that I think you need reminding, that none of these people have been reported to be doing anything criminal, so let's go softly-softly. Also, Lania found something." She turns to the side to give the floor to the divine.

esorscher
2015-03-12, 06:52 PM

Lania reveals the dreamlily vial and announces that it is dreamlily. Recalling the previous clues and facts of the case, you may know:

Silvermist is also dreamlily den.

There are rumors of a dreamlily den somewhere in Tumbledown.

It is time to decide your next plan of action.

Marlowe
2015-03-13, 10:43 PM
K/Local [roll0]

Tiny
2015-03-15, 08:22 AM
Arthur took a puff of his pipe and observed the vial from afar. "Dreamlily? That is rough. Explains some things though." The drug was well known to Arthur and it had been the downfall of many promising young individuals, old ones as well. "That certainly points to Silvermist. It is a known Dreamlily shack" He took another puff of his pipe and searched through his memory. Twirling the pipe like a memory charm in his hand. The tobacco smoke ironically enough clearing his mind from fog and revealing a fading glimmer of info waiting for a time it would be useful. "Now that I think about it. I can recall some stories from the old dogs in the watch about a den of users down in Tumbledown as well." He shrugged. "But I don't recall exactly where at the moment."

Marlowe
2015-03-16, 12:12 AM
Emilia listens intently. "Certainly interesting. Whether it has anything directly to do with Olivia's disappearance is a different matter." She stares at the vial impassively. Then licks her lips and speaks carefully. "Silvermist will be there tomorrow. These individuals" she taps her list of addresses. "Perhaps not. Shall we track these people and meet up at Silvermist afterward?".

King Tius
2015-03-16, 01:58 PM
Lania nods in agreement to Emilia. "We should wrap up the leads with her friends first, just in case they give us any extra insight, but my coppers are on the Dreamlily den. How long do you think we need? How does two hours sound?"

Lughaidh
2015-03-18, 08:50 PM
"Two hours sounds about right." Lugh says as he rubs his stubbled chin. "How about we pair off again. Two of us follow up on Tony and Calyn. The others talk to "Fast Nicky". We can ask about this Half-Orc guy and then we meet up at Silvermist?"

Marlowe
2015-03-19, 05:57 PM
Emilia shrugs. They were going to have to work fast. "Right. Arthur, if you'd like to come with me, let's track down "Fast Eddie". We don't find him immediately, we'll take a shot at chasing down Calyn. Lania and Lugh; how about you start with Tony? And in any event we'll meet up at Silvermist in a couple of hours. Deal?"

Tiny
2015-03-20, 05:37 AM
Arthur nods in response and heads for his coat for the second time today. It is still wet from the previous walk. "Sounds right as rain Emilia. Let's head out and see if this Nicky is quick enough to evade us"

Marlowe
2015-03-20, 05:57 AM
Emilia gives an inward groan. "Is my inability to remember this idiots name the same way twice a sign of mental incompetence on my part? Or is it just that he sounds utterly generic? Whatever, let's track him down." She turns to the door, ready to head out.

esorscher
2015-03-20, 09:27 PM
Fast Nicky's Home, Tumbledown, Middle Dura

The walls of Tumbledown are honeycombed with tiny chambers, and massive tenements occupy the center of the towers. Large or small, these townhouses are in terrible condition; walls are chipped and cracked, and mold and mildew covers everything. The people crammed into Tumbledown are poor and miserable.

As you walk through the district, you are approached by a halfling in filthy trousers and a patched shirt. “Spare a copper?” he asks.

Emilia: [roll0]
Arthur: [roll1]

Neither of you notice anything unusual about the halfling--he seems honestly in need of coin.

Tony's Home, Broken Arch, Middle Dura

Rows of stone houses circle the central towers of this district. The stone is worn and cracks are beginning to show. The streets are surprisingly quiet and empty. The people view strangers with suspicion and fear, and hurry toward their destinations.

The manor houses here are few, and avoided by those with the means to. But for lesser families and merchants trying to climb the social ladder, a Middle Ward address is far preferable to the alternatives below, despite Broken Arch's treacherous past. You pass the familiar Acadea House, and the trio of goblinoids from earlier is no longer lurking in the alleyway. Tony lives in a similar albeit considerably smaller home, and you arrive unmolested.

You knock, and a reasonably handsome half-elf man answers the door. He is well-dressed, as if planning an evening on the town. He looks you over, then asks, with a tone of mockery in his voice, "Can I help you?"

Marlowe
2015-03-20, 10:19 PM
Emilia looks the Halfling up and down. In spite of having a city girl's blase attitude toward people of all shapes and sizes, she still wasn't comfortable around people who looked like children but weren't. "I may have a spare. You know of a fellow calls himself "Fast Nicky"? We got something we'd like to discuss with him."

Marlowe
2015-03-20, 10:21 PM
Whoops. Thought you'd rolled for me.
[roll0]
Incidentally, maneuvers prepped today are Mighty Throw, Steel Wind, and Moment of Perfect Mind.

esorscher
2015-03-21, 09:37 AM

The halfling looks at you with a raised eyebrow. "Sure. Lives in that building right there." He points at the building behind you, and while your back is turned, disappears. Although somewhat confused, you soon realize why--while he had your attention, a partner had cut your coinpurse. This is a desperate place, a place where beggars are often thieves. Your not sure if you can trust what the halfling told you, but the building's address seems to be correct.

(You each lose 5 gold.)

Inside the building you find it is barely maintained, with the wood walls long bare of any coat of paint. The doors have mismatching locks that were probably installed by the renters and owners of the individual apartments, a cheap but serviceable security feature. The number of the apartment belonging to Eddie has a polished brass lock that looks more formidable than the others around it.

Marlowe
2015-03-22, 01:55 AM
"Expenses." growls Emilia. "To be added to our bill." While she sometimes felt bad about not liking some people, some people always seemed determined to prove her worst impulses correct. "Well, we're not being paid to clean up the trash." She gives the door a decisive knock.

esorscher
2015-03-22, 08:22 AM

A catfolk answers the door, opening it slightly--it is still locked with a small brass chain. He is well dressed, as if preparing for a night on the town, and his appearance is at odds with his location. "Yes?" he asks.

Tiny
2015-03-24, 11:33 AM
Darn. I should have seen that coming a mile away. I am getting old. Feeling his now lighter coin purse, Arthur mutters something uncomprehensible before straightening himself as the door opened. "Hello sir. We will go straight to the point as it seems you are preparing for a party." He nodded at the fine clothes. "We are here as representatives of Garner and Sons. It seems one of your friends has gotten herself into trouble." Pausing briefly to look the man over a bit more closely. Was that a flinch? "Where are my manners. My name is Benedict and you are Fast Nicky, correct?" Arthur looked at Emilia. Guessing she would rather introduce herself. Besides if this would turn into a good snoop bad snoop routine later then it might be better to not give up her name to easily. "Perhaps it would be better if we took this inside? Would you mind?"

Diplomacy to make him friendly towards us and convince him to let us in:[roll0]
Sense motive to try and see if he is nervous in any way etc.: [roll1]

esorscher
2015-03-24, 07:02 PM

The door closes, and opens again a moment later, without the chain. "Come in," Fast Nicky says. "What's going on?" He seems honestly concerned, but whether that's for another's well being or his own is unclear.

Marlowe
2015-03-25, 03:29 AM
Emilia gives the fellow a nod of acknowledgement and steps forward to shake his hand, in the process getting her boot in the door. "It's very good to see you so promptly." She says with perfect sincerity. "I am Emilia Torres. And we must apologize for calling on you so unexpectedly. May we come in?"

King Tius
2015-03-26, 07:22 AM
Lania flashes a smile and tries to ignore the man's condescension. "Are you Tony? We'd like to ask you a few questions about Olivia Acadea. Mind if we come in?"

esorscher
2015-03-26, 08:04 AM

The catfolk looks somewhat confused, wondering why you are here. "What's going on?"

Tony's expression changes from mild disaffection to one of apparently genuine concern. "Olivia? What's happened?" He steps aside to allow you entry.

Marlowe
2015-03-26, 05:54 PM
Emilia does her best to keep her face impassive, but irritation flashes behind her eyes. This spruce little tom going to just stand there squawking like a half-witted canary? But says, with a note of weariness. "Sir, we'd rather not discuss sensitive matters standing on the doorstep for all to hear."

[roll0]

"Again. May we come in?"

esorscher
2015-03-26, 07:50 PM

Fast Nicky looks from Emilia to Arthur with a confused look on his face. "What, are you thick? You are already in my home. Now then, if you have something to say, say it, otherwise, leave me be. I have matters of my own to attend to."

Indeed, you are inside. His home is entirely unexceptional, at least the room you are in. There is a rather well-loved sofa against one wall facing the door, and a kitchenette next to the door, with a meager table and two chair in between. There are two doors along the east wall, one is slightly ajar, revealing a simple bathroom. The other, you guess, leads to his bedroom. It is almost the quintessential bachelor pad--Fast Nicky seems to prioritize personal fashion over the accouterments of his abode.

King Tius
2015-03-30, 07:56 AM
Lania smiles and nods to Tony as she steps into his home. She glances around as she enters, always a little wary when entering an unfamiliar room.

"I'm afraid she's gone missing. We got your name from her sister and were hoping you could help us track her down. When was the last time you saw her? Any ideas about where she might be or who she might be with?"

Tiny
2015-03-31, 03:29 AM
This is going downhill fast. Time for a gamble. "Well then Nick, to the heart of the matter. Your friend Olivia is missing. We were hoping you had information that could help us find her alive and well. But as is the case when people disappear, the longer it takes to find them the worse the odds become..
He allowed the words to sink in a few moments before he continued. "So in the spirit of my previous statement. Where and when did you see her last?"
Displaying a face of empathetic concern.
Sense motive to observe his reaction to the news. [roll0]

Marlowe
2015-03-31, 05:10 AM
Emilia gives herself a mental smack to the head. Her hearing must be going. "Also, we're so thick we've heard some reports of a certain sporty, flashy young gentleman of the half-orc persuasion she's been hanging around with lately, and we believe them. We'd very much appreciate any information leading to us having a chat with that fellow."

"Now because we are so incredibly thick, we don't believe you, or he, or anyone else has done anything wrong yet. So feel free to speak freely. We'd hate to have to start being clever at you. Leads to paperwork."

esorscher
2015-03-31, 08:13 AM

Nicky's face shows no expression--certainly not surprise. He responds, "The last time I saw her was... must've been two nights ago, I think? We were all out together, then she went off with that half-orc. I know the one you're talking about, but I never got his name." You sense he knows more than he is telling.

Tony's story is very similar to Ophelia's. "We were out partying a couple of nights ago, then she went off with that half-orc friend of Nicky's. The one who always brought the dreamlily." He looks nervous. "If you ask me, I never touched the stuff--I mean, I tried it once, but that was enough. Olivia, though... she loved it."

Marlowe
2015-03-31, 05:51 PM
Emilia gets out her notebook. "Excuse me, because we are so thick I'm going to have to write this down. You say we were all together. Who exactly makes up this we? How did you encounter the Half-Orc fellow? Was he a part of your party? And under what circumstance did Olivia "go off with him?""

Tiny
2015-04-01, 03:45 AM
Arthurs face turned grimmer. That sounded a bit rehearsed. "You know something Nicky? Your lack of surprise at Olivias disappearance really tells us there is more going on here then you are telling us. How about you tell us now before our colleagues get the same story from a different mouth. I will save us all a lot of hassle."

esorscher
2015-04-04, 08:05 AM
Fast Nicky's face shows no expression--he does not appear inclined to help you, but might become so with the proper leverage applied. The threat of someone else telling is not sufficient. "We--the party group. If you got my name from Ophelia, which I assume you did, then you got all our names already. Ask them about it, I don't really have time for this. Jarena's playing at the Last Longing tonight." He looks toward the door.

King Tius
2015-04-06, 08:06 AM
Seeing as Tony is being cooperative, Lania sees no reason to put the screws to him. She keeps her face neutral with a hint of concern as she takes a seat in his home. "Any idea where this half-orc liked to take her? Where would you usually party? Any solid names or places you can give us will help us try and track her down. We've got people talking to Nicky and looking for the orc already."

esorscher
2015-04-06, 08:19 AM
Tony nods. "It changes every night, depending on where the entertainment is. Tonight we're going to Last Longing, to see Jarena play. She's got a set of pipes on her, and her fingers..." He trails off, realizing that his exuberant conversation about music is inappopriate for the inquiry. He reflects. "When the gnome was working the Silvermist, Olivia always wanted to go. Something about the combination of his light shows and dreamlily really ensorcelled her."

Tiny
2015-04-08, 12:59 PM
"You misunderstand your situation. A girl last seen in your company is missing. Add two and two together. Our colleagues are already speaking with the others in the 'party group' this very moment. It would not do to give any witnesses or suspects a chance to agree on a made up story would there?" Arthur's face had grown cold. "The question Nicky, is whether we will learn that you have not told us all you know." He took casually took up a position by the door to make sure Nicky would not try anything foolish like running for it. "It would be very suspicious indeed if we learnt that you were consciously withholding information from us. We would have no choice in the matter other then take you in and then you would not only be late to hear Jarena tonight." He looked at Emelia. "What is the rate the watch takes for keeping a person in custody now again?" He let his gaze bore into Nicky. "In this neighborhood I would be surprised if you had anything other than a roof to return to after a couple of weeks downtown."

Using cunning knowledge to gain bonus.
Hoping for an aid other from Emilia
Intimidate:[roll0]

esorscher
2015-04-08, 03:59 PM
Nicky holds his hands up. "Alright, alright, I'll tell you everything I know. The half-orc's name is Graash'gruubra. He supplies us with dreamlily when we party, but he's not in our group. He wouldn't want to be, either, near as I can tell--it's a business to him, not a hobby. Tying himself down with us while we party wouldn't be in his interests. Anyway, Olivia quickly became one of his best customers. Not sure how she was able to afford it, but maybe she was giving him something else besides gold." He pauses, giving you time to consider the implication. "I guess the night she went missing, she was with him. And before you ask how to find him--I don't know. He always finds us. But I didn't seem him last night, so maybe he's laying low for a while, but then again, the trouble with drug dealers is they are rarely reliable. There have been times in the past when we haven't seen him for a couple of days, but then, poof, there he is again with a handful of vials. If I was you, I'd check the Silvermist." He seems earnest in his information, though it could be out of a desire to get you out of his apartment and away from him. You do not sense that he is lying, though.