PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Produce Flame: Is it good?

Foxman778
2015-02-22, 12:44 PM
I was thinking about making a fire domain Cleric and saw this spell. My question is can you make multiple attacks with it using your base attack bonus?

Jack_Simth
2015-02-22, 02:27 PM
I was thinking about making a fire domain Cleric and saw this spell. My question is can you make multiple attacks with it using your base attack bonus?
The action required is not clearly specified. If it said "as an attack action" this would not be really debatable. In melee, it doesn't in any way specify what sort of action it is to attempt to hit someone. However... "you can hurl the flames up to 120 feet as a thrown weapon" (emphasis added) would imply that it mostly uses the thrown weapon rules when run from a distance - which would allow iteratives (also two-weapon fighting, as it's an Effect rather than a target).

Psyren
2015-02-22, 02:32 PM
Yes, provided you have enough duration remaining to do so, you can perform iteratives with the flames.

Foxman778
2015-02-22, 03:04 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the replies guys.

Kurald Galain
2015-02-22, 03:12 PM
The action required is not clearly specified. If it said "as an attack action" this would not be really debatable. In melee, it doesn't in any way specify what sort of action it is to attempt to hit someone. However... "you can hurl the flames up to 120 feet as a thrown weapon" (emphasis added) would imply that it mostly uses the thrown weapon rules when run from a distance - which would allow iteratives (also two-weapon fighting, as it's an Effect rather than a target).

It strikes me that you can't use two-weapon fighting with Produce Flame, since it produces one flame in one hand, rather than two flames in both of your hands.

Iteratives should work though. That still doesn't make it a good spell, in my opinion. The Fire domain also gives burning hands and fireball, both of which strike me as more effective.

Jack_Simth
2015-02-22, 03:29 PM
It strikes me that you can't use two-weapon fighting with Produce Flame, since it produces one flame in one hand, rather than two flames in both of your hands.It's an Effect spell, it's not a spell that affects you. You just cast it twice, same as you would Summon Monster.
Iteratives should work though. That still doesn't make it a good spell, in my opinion. The Fire domain also gives burning hands and fireball, both of which strike me as more effective.
However, two scrolls of Persistent Produce Flame make a wonderful gift for the UMD-loving Rogue in the party. Ranged touch attack sneak attack dual-weapon fighting is lethal.

Chronos
2015-02-22, 05:11 PM
Produce Flame is mostly good for preserving spell slots, since it's low level, and you can cast it once and get a lot of damage out of it over its duration. You'll usually get more damage out of it than Burning Hands, if you're patient.

Obviously this is less relevant if you've got enough slots to cast something new every round, as in that case you want something that deals more damage all at once, and then again the next rounds.