PDA

View Full Version : Pact blade warlock

domrek
2015-02-22, 03:28 PM
hey guys quick query as i can't find anything directly against this but 1) i don't have my PHB to hand and 2) it just feels wrong but i guess may be just a smart work around the rules.

SO one of the players in my group is attempting to get a sun blade, now he is playing a pact blade warlock. so according to him he can sacrifice the sun blade to his pact as its a rare not legendary weapon and then as he can remake his pact weapon as any weapon can then change it to a great sword and still keep the finesse property?

any thoughts?

calebrus
2015-02-22, 04:32 PM
hey guys quick query as i can't find anything directly against this but 1) i don't have my PHB to hand and 2) it just feels wrong but i guess may be just a smart work around the rules.

SO one of the players in my group is attempting to get a sun blade, now he is playing a pact blade warlock. so according to him he can sacrifice the sun blade to his pact as its a rare not legendary weapon and then as he can remake his pact weapon as any weapon can then change it to a great sword and still keep the finesse property?

any thoughts?

There is some disagreement on this.
One interpretation is that since you can bind a weapon as your pact blade, each time you draw it forth you can change it.
The other interpretation is that you can only "create" any weapon you wish if you don't have an actual weapon bound to you.

I am in the latter group. I read it as once you bind a particular weapon to yourself, that is the weapon that you call forth.

Ultimately it's your call, not his.
You're the DM.
You make the calls.
Don't look for a page number to explain why it doesn't work. Just explain why it doesn't work sans page reference and move on.

If there are two or more possible interpretations, and one of them makes sense while one of them creates a situation that seems off, then the interpretation that makes sense should be used. That's all the explanation necessary.

domrek
2015-02-22, 05:04 PM
There is some disagreement on this.
One interpretation is that since you can bind a weapon as your pact blade, each time you draw it forth you can change it.
The other interpretation is that you can only "create" any weapon you wish if you don't have an actual weapon bound to you.

I am in the latter group. I read it as once you bind a particular weapon to yourself, that is the weapon that you call forth.

Ultimately it's your call, not his.
You're the DM.
You make the calls.
Don't look for a page number to explain why it doesn't work. Just explain why it doesn't work sans page reference and move on.

If there are two or more possible interpretations, and one of them makes sense while one of them creates a situation that seems off, then the interpretation that makes sense should be used. That's all the explanation necessary.

good advise, thanks very much :D