PDA

View Full Version : Getting in control of a Shadow

Mandrake
2015-02-22, 05:03 PM
Hi!

If I wanted something to control a Shadow (from Monster Manual), how can I get it done?

I know Oathbreaker Paladin can do it with Channel Divinity from level 2, but is there any other way?
Mind that I would like to be able to get it done with as little power given to the controller overall (so, not with a wish), and I am the DM, so it can be a monster, an item, anything, but I like to keep it RAW if I can.

So - how can a villain as weak as possible get to control a Shadow with as little resources as possible?
I Hope I'm not too confusing and thanks!

Thrudd
2015-02-22, 06:37 PM
Hi!

If I wanted something to control a Shadow (from Monster Manual), how can I get it done?

I know Oathbreaker Paladin can do it with Channel Divinity from level 2, but is there any other way?
Mind that I would like to be able to get it done with as little power given to the controller overall (so, not with a wish), and I am the DM, so it can be a monster, an item, anything, but I like to keep it RAW if I can.

So - how can a villain as weak as possible get to control a Shadow with as little resources as possible?
I Hope I'm not too confusing and thanks!

Make a ring of undead control, that can control a maximum number of hd equal to what the shadow has. Or even a specific ring of controlling shadows, that has a limit of one shadow at a time.

xyianth
2015-02-22, 06:38 PM
Well, it doesn't look like there are a lot of options. In the PHB, level 14 necromancer wizards get an ability similar to the oathbreaker paladin's level 3 ability. The only two other mentions of creating shadows I can find come from the MM. Orcus can create shadows from manes (page 53) and shadows can create more of themselves. Neither of these mention anything about controlling the newly created shadow. No spell (other than wish) looks like it can create/control a shadow. No magic item gives you control over an undead you didn't create via some spell. No monsters have a control undead ability.

So it looks like you are stuck with oathbreaker paladin 3 or necromancer wizard 14 unless you want Orcus to intervene personally.

The only other thing that might be relevant is if you don't need the shadow to be under the BBEG's control, there is a way to have a shadow join a fight with the BBEG as a 3rd party. According to MM page 269, any creature that gives birth to a shadow no longer casts one if returned to life. The shadow senses its living counterpart and can hunt it down. You could have your BBEG be the creature that was killed by a shadow (producing a new one) then brought back to life. As your players meet up with your BBEG, the shadow could arrive and turn hostile on everyone. (party and BBEG both) This gets you an encounter vs your BBEG and a shadow, but they wouldn't be working together.

If none of the above works, I'm afraid you are going to be stuck with homebrew of some sort. (unless I missed something, which is possible)

Tenmujiin
2015-02-23, 05:21 AM
Either Oathbreaker paladin or homebrewed magic item (maybe gained from a deal with a fiend?). An item to control 1/2 HD of undead shouldn't be TOO hard to get you hands on (relative to other magic items).

Edit: necromancer wizard can do it too but not till lv14 and you said you wanted low level and low resources.

Mandrake
2015-02-23, 09:32 AM
Ok guys, thanks! I just wish there was some feat that grants channel divinity uses. :D

FadeAssassin
2015-02-23, 01:40 PM
Also the Moonblade has a chance of giving the weilder the ability to symmon an elf shadow (which is the same).