PDA

View Full Version : If you could pick only one...

Invader
2015-02-22, 07:12 PM
What's the single 3.5 module you would choose to run/play and why? It can be from any setting and any level range you'd like.

sideswipe
2015-02-22, 07:55 PM
tomb of horrors, i would love to forget how to get through it and play it.

because tomb of horrors.....

Thurbane
2015-02-22, 08:16 PM
Well, technically 3.0, but I'd love to take a run through Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (levels 4 - 14).

Loved the original so much back in our 1E/2E days.

...as a DM, I'm very much looking forward to running the Shackled City hardcover (collection of the Dungeon mag adventure path) one day (levels 1 - 20).

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-23, 12:36 AM
Charmander!

Wait... What are we choosing?

I'd love to get a chance to play through Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. I've read though it a couple of times (I'm gonna be running it modified for pathfinder for my players as part of an ongoing campaign). Now I'll never be able to enjoy it as a player.

Riculf
2015-02-23, 05:52 AM
Would really like to play through the Giant modules (G1-3) again in 3.5. Played through Return to the ToEE. Really enjoyed it. Really did build up in a satisfying way :smallbiggrin:

aspekt
2015-02-23, 06:22 AM
Already named really:

Giant modules (incl. The Libetation of Geoff)

Barrier Peaks

Tomb of Horrors and its sequels.

Rod of Seven Parts

The 1ed Drow modules.

Honestly a low powered run through Village of Hommlet, Keep on the Borderlands, and the like would be really cool for me.

I DM'd most of these as a kid, but never got to play them.

Blueiji
2015-02-23, 03:54 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Red Hand of Doom. I've never played it myself but it seems rather popular around here.

Thurbane
2015-02-23, 04:40 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Red Hand of Doom. I've never played it myself but it seems rather popular around here.

My group has played though it twice - one as 3.X noobs, and then again last year. Very enjoyable adventure.

LoyalPaladin
2015-02-23, 04:49 PM
Probably DL4 Dragons of Desolation. I loved the Dragonlance campaign...

atemu1234
2015-02-23, 05:00 PM
tomb of horrors, i would love to forget how to get through it and play it.

because tomb of horrors.....

To DM, this. To be a player, any other.

the_david
2015-02-23, 05:03 PM
War of the Burning Sky. This is a lot to go through, but it looks really good. I wish there was a Pathfinder edition for this.

I kinda like the Sunless Citadel series, but the last part is so evil that I don't think I could run it for my group.

Invader
2015-02-23, 07:11 PM
To DM, this. To be a player, any other.

Why specifically?

Just curious, I'm looking for a module to run for my group and I'm trying to decide which one would be the most fun for them.

My group has played though it twice - one as 3.X noobs, and then again last year. Very enjoyable adventure.

I'm leaning towards RHoD. I've ne Ed played but everyone says the story is really good and it's quite varied with the settings and combats.

Invader
2015-02-23, 07:18 PM
War of the Burning Sky. This is a lot to go through, but it looks really good. I wish there was a Pathfinder edition for this.

I kinda like the Sunless Citadel series, but the last part is so evil that I don't think I could run it for my group.

Is the whole series considered all the modules that run players up to 20th level? Are they all connected, or are they all stand alone adventures?

atemu1234
2015-02-23, 07:28 PM
Why specifically?

Just curious, I'm looking for a module to run for my group and I'm trying to decide which one would be the most fun for them.

I'm leaning towards RHoD. I've ne Ed played but everyone says the story is really good and it's quite varied with the settings and combats.

It's a notoriously gygaxian module, but if your players are happy with having 2-3 backup characters or easy access to rez magic, then it'll be fine.

Seriously, it's actually fun.

weckar
2015-02-23, 07:30 PM
It's a notoriously gygaxian module, but if your players are happy with having 2-3 backup characters or easy access to rez magic, then it'll be fine.

Unless they miss a certain clue in the very first room. A very missable clue.

Amphetryon
2015-02-24, 06:36 AM
Nobody's said White Plume Mountain?

weckar
2015-02-24, 07:28 AM
I'm not a big module player myself (more a sotp sort of DM), but I will certainly bookmark this thread for the future.

endur
2015-02-24, 09:36 AM
Keep on the Borderlands

LoyalPaladin
2015-02-24, 10:08 AM
Keep on the Borderlands
Roll for initiative?! (http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/multi/2013/06/tiny-tinas-assault-on-dragons-keep-1.jpg)

I've never heard of that one before.

Knaight
2015-02-24, 10:13 AM
Roll for initiative?! (http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/multi/2013/06/tiny-tinas-assault-on-dragons-keep-1.jpg)

I've never heard of that one before.

It's an extremely well known module that's been around in some form since AD&D, if not earlier.

LoyalPaladin
2015-02-24, 10:14 AM
It's an extremely well known module that's been around in some form since AD&D, if not earlier.
Huh. I'll have to check it out! I'm always on the hunt for new modules!

the_david
2015-03-07, 09:39 AM
Is the whole series considered all the modules that run players up to 20th level? Are they all connected, or are they all stand alone adventures?

Actually, they are 8 stand alone adventures with most having some connection to the other ones. They run from level 1 to 20. Sunless Citadel is the introduction and mentions the BBEG from Bastion of Broken Souls. There are some bad parts, but with a little bit of a rewrite you can make it a lot better. Take the Desmodu from Deep Horizon, many gamers disliked them. You could easily use the lost dwarven clan of Khundrukar instead (from Forge of Fury, the second module.) and use the death of their leader to kick of Lord of the Iron Fortress.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-03-07, 09:49 AM

I beg to differ. I played a couple sessions of it once, and it was awful. It was almost entirely puzzles and traps. Individually, the slow-down is tolerable. But combined? When you're afraid to do anything involving the puzzle for fear of death? It's freakin' awful. I don't care about how many times I die; I care about how many hours we spend in the same room trying to solve a puzzle by poking it with 11-foot poles.

weckar
2015-03-08, 02:03 PM
I beg to differ. I played a couple sessions of it once, and it was awful. It was almost entirely puzzles and traps. Individually, the slow-down is tolerable. But combined? When you're afraid to do anything involving the puzzle for fear of death? It's freakin' awful. I don't care about how many times I die; I care about how many hours we spend in the same room trying to solve a puzzle by poking it with 11-foot poles.

How is it slow-down when, in this case, that IS the game?

Grod_The_Giant
2015-03-08, 02:48 PM
How is it slow-down when, in this case, that IS the game?
It's not a good puzzle game, because you don't feel comfortable experimenting because traps. So every attempt at solving a puzzle becomes buried behind an hour of poking everything for fear of death. And it's not a very good trap game because, in my experience, the traps were not set up in such a way that you could out-think them-- they're random, arbitrary, and require Disable Device checks rather than clever solutions.