PDA

View Full Version : Various [Feats]

IonizedChicken
2007-04-07, 01:15 PM
Here are some feats I came up with. I'm not if sure they are balanced (I suspect they are not :P) but I would love some input about them.
Thanks.

Weapon Defense [General]
Your defensive techniques, though highly advanced, rely on you wielding a particular weapon.
Prerequisites: Proficiency with one weapon.
Benefit: Choose one weapon you are proficient with. While wielding this weapon you gain a +1 Shield bonus to armor class. While wielding this weapon in each hand you gain a +2 Shield bonus to armor class instead.
Special: A fighter may select this feat as one of his bonus feats.
Combat Parry [General]
You can parry the attacks of your opponent using your own.
Prerequisites: Weapon Defense, Base Attack Bonus +6.
Benefit: When taking the full attack action you can forgo some or all of your attacks with your Weapon Defense weapon to gain a Shield bonus to armor class until your next turn.
Forgoing an attack grants you a Shield bonus that equals 1 plus one fifth of that attack's base attack bonus. Shield bonuses from multiple attacks stack.
When wielding a Weapon Defense weapon in your off-hand you can parry with it just like with your primary hand. The Shield bonuses you receive from both weapons stacks.
For example, a character with a base attack bonus of +14(/+9/+4) wishes to take advantage of this feat by taking a full attack action. She forgos her 2nd and 1st attacks with both of the weapons she wields. This grants her a Shield bonus of 2(1 + 2) = 6 to armor class until her next turn.
Multi-attack Rend [General]
You can inflict grievous wounds upon others with your multitude of attacks.
Prerequisites: Dex 15, Base Attack Bonus +6.
Benefit: You can take a penalty of up to half your base attack bonus at the beginning of your turn.
If you strike a creature twice you deal extra rend damage to that creature at the end of your turn. This damage takes the form of 1d6 points of damage per -1 penalty you took at the beginning of your turn. Every additional attack beyond the first two doubles the extra damage that will be dealt to that creature at the end of your turn (using standard DND multiplication rules -- doubling the extra damage twice means multiplying it by 3).
For example, a fighter wielding two weapons (BAB +7/+2) attacks a creature four times, having taken a -3 penalty on attack rolls with this feat. Although the second attack was a miss, he managed to hit the target three times -- on his 1st, 3rd, and 4th attacks. As such, at the end of the round, after the fighter has finished all of his attacks, the target creature suffers 6d6 points of extra damage. This damage would not have been multiplied on a critical hit, had the fighter scored one.
Note that the extra damage dealt by this feat is not precision damage and does not depend on the vulnerability of creatures to critical hits.
Combat Brutality [Tactical]
You terrify your enemies not only by the multitude of your attacks but also by the ecstasy you seem to take in making them as gruesome as possible.
Prerequisites: Dex 15, Base Attack Bonus +9, Power Critical, Multi-attack Rend.
Benefit: This feat allows you to perform several maneuvers and gain several benefits:
Blood Rage: If, using Rend damage alone, you bring a creature from 0 or more hit points to -40 or less hit points, all the rend damage you deal on your next turn is done in dice of d8.
Critical Rend: When taking a penalty of -3 with your Multi-attack Rend feat or more and striking a creature for the fourth time you can choose to, instead of multiplying your extra rend damage, make the attack automatically threaten a critical hit. You may use this ability once per round.
Flay: If you take a penalty of -3 or more on your attack rolls this round and manage to deal rend damage to a creature your attacks ignore that creature's damage reduction on your next turn, provided you take a penalty of at least -1 with your Multi-attack Rend feat.
Special: A Fighter may select this feat as one of his bonus feats.
Discipline Unarmed Combat [General]
You have learned the art of unarmed combat through some of the disciplines available to you.
Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +1, One maneuver and one stance from two of the following disciplines: Stone Dragon, Setting Sun, Shadow Hand, Tiger Claw.
Benefit: Your unarmed attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that you mat even make unarmed strikes with your hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for you, when attacking unarmed. You may thus apply

Quellian-dyrae
2007-04-07, 01:45 PM
Weapon Defense seems kinda underpowered. I'd remove the penalty. Given that, it's not too tremendous a feat (considering other ways of getting shield bonuses) but it's a nice addition to a two-weapon fighter.

I like the idea of Combat Parry, but I can see the possibility for exploitation at the high levels. 20th level fighter with two weapons and a Speed weapon can sacrifice all of its weak attacks for +16 AC and still get three attacks in at its full attack bonus. Sure it lost quite a few attacks, but the opponent now probably needs a 20 to hit and it can still get three attacks in with a solid hit chance.

I like multi-attack rend, although I'm concerned about power issues when compared with power attack. My first thought is to lower it to d4's or flat +2's to make it as good for two weapon fighters as power attack is for two hander fighters. The thing is, flat damage bonuses are a bit better for two weapon than two hander, but the attack penalty...and you effectively lose the bonus on the first hit...I'd say tone it down a step, but the idea itself should work and is pretty cool.

I would love to make some sort of half-fiend barbarian with the combat brutality feat...or, eh, I would if claws weren't lame weapons.

Discipline unarmed combat looks good. I think there's a feat that does the same basic thing in Complete Scoundrel, so I assume it's balanced.

IonizedChicken
2007-04-07, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the reply and criticism.

A) Well, Weapon Defense is supposed to be underpowered -- it is a prerequisite for a feat which certainly is not underpowered (Combat Parry).

B) Can Combat Parry really be more exploited than Improved Combat Expertise? Sure, you could lose most of your attacks and be left with +16 Shield to AC, but it doesn't stack with Shield bonuses, and you lose any chance of hitting with the attacks you forgo (whereas with I. Combat Expertise you can still hit, and crit, on a nat20). Hell, Shield bonuses don't even apply to touch attacks.
But still, you might be right. I'll lower the Shield bonus to 1 + BAB/5. That should lower the maximum Shield bonus by at least a couple of points.

C) As for Multi-attack, well, even with it being roughly 2.9 to 3.1 times more powerful than PA (it does depend on the AC, though. Against high AC opponents, Multi-attack Rend would only be 2.1 or so times as powerful), I don't think it's too powerful. I mean, look at PA. It's a 1st level feat. It doesn't even have BAB requirements, whereas Multi-attack Rend has a +6.
It deals with THF, which is a much less feat-intensive style than TWF (even with the feat variants I usually use, where TWF feats are combined into only two). Technically, Multi-attack Rend has the additional requirement of the TWF feats as well.
Also, one must consider the additional negative factors of the feat -- you roll damage AFTER your attacks. That means you don't actually know if someone is dead or not until you can't attack them.

Matthew
2007-04-07, 04:49 PM
I have to agree Quelian-Dyrae, Weapon Defence is an odd Feat replacement for Two Weapon Defence and it seems silly to impose a -1 AC Penalty on Characters who do not use their chosen weapons.

Combat Parry is indeed not much more powerful than Combat Expertise, but it is a bit unclear. A very similar thing has been attempted elsewhere in this Forum, you might want to take a look at them.

IonizedChicken
2007-04-07, 05:59 PM
Meh. I could get rid of the -1 penalty.
And thanks for mentioning that. I'll try to find the feats in question.

Matthew
2007-04-07, 06:09 PM
No problem, here is a link to the last time something like this waas proposed: Parrying (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36139) and to an Active Parry mechanic discussion D20 Parrying (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38214)