PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Starting gold

ReD_Exorcist
2015-02-22, 07:32 PM
I was wondering what's a good amount of starting gold for a level 1 party? I know the Players Handbook list the average given but I feel like that's so low.

CGNefarious
2015-02-22, 07:40 PM
I say give them 20,000gp that has to be spent at character creation or be lost, and give them a cap of 200gp for maximum price per item.

I mean, what could it hurt?

Honestly you could just let them get the max for their class at level one. Or just a straight 300gp, which is the highest max gold at level one.

Ephemeral_Being
2015-02-22, 07:45 PM
I say give them 20,000gp that has to be spent at character creation or be lost, and give them a cap of 200gp for maximum price per item.

I mean, what could it hurt?

Honestly you could just let them get the max for their class at level one. Or just a straight 300gp, which is the highest max gold at level one.

Um. That would be bad. Especially if you have intelligent players. They would just buy scrolls. And/or gems to resell.

The starting gold is fine. It stops first level characters from having everything they could possibly want. That's a good thing.

sideswipe
2015-02-22, 07:59 PM
Um. That would be bad. Especially if you have intelligent players. They would just buy scrolls. And/or gems to resell.

The starting gold is fine. It stops first level characters from having everything they could possibly want. That's a good thing.

i would buy a few shax's haversacks, but since the 200g limit i would hire a few labourers to carry many backpacks instead of the bag of holding.

or just as much aboleth mucus as i can carry. and up my ranged attack roll and build my hiding sniper level 1 build that had about a +10 to hide after attacking from hiding.

Invader
2015-02-22, 08:07 PM
You can give them a starting equipment package plus their classes starting gold, that way they get all the basics for free and have a little wealth to spend on more frivolous items at 1st.

OldTrees1
2015-02-23, 02:28 AM
150gp is the highest average at 1st
900gp is the 2nd level amount

Give everyone 300gp?

Huldaerus
2015-02-23, 02:29 AM
I used to give them max gold per class, plus an additional pack worth ~300 gp based on background, back when I bothered with lvl 1.

HighWater
2015-02-23, 04:41 AM
I was wondering what's a good amount of starting gold for a level 1 party? I know the Players Handbook list the average given but I feel like that's so low.

Starting gold being low is not the primary problem for a level 1 party. The primary problem is that everything is low. This is also entirely the point of starting at level 1! It is meant to reflect that they really are people who just took up the most dangerous profession in the world. The idea is that they don't have the skills, experience or gear to already be heroes! They are aspiring to become rich and powerful, it would be counterproductive to already give them enough wealth at level 1 that they are already counted as a pretty affluent person in most settings... It defeats the entire "start-ups" purpose... If you want them to have more gold to spend, you might as well start them at level 2, where they'll have both 900 gp and a little more competency.

OttoVonBigby
2015-02-23, 07:09 AM
I usually go by the PHB's starting gold BUT I also usually grant each PC a "toy"--a mundane or low-magic item that they can explain how they got it, not to exceed a certain value I determine on the basis of the campaign's setting and character's background. If they pick something that doesn't hit the max toy value, they do not get the difference in cash.

Flickerdart
2015-02-23, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't give the PCs extra gold - there's all kinds of shenanigans they might get up to - but equipping each character with a free horse or pony, saddlebags, chain shirt (or robe for the wizards) and weapon of choice is a decent thing to do.

Malimar
2015-02-23, 11:31 AM
I let level 1 characters start with 1000gp. This lets them buy, among other things, a wand of CLW or some nice armor, making the earliest levels much less painful. (It also lets me not pay attention to WBL for a couple levels, which is nice.)

Trasilor
2015-02-23, 12:24 PM

Why do you feel that the amount is low? I rarely find the problem with level 1 being too little equipment - rather the problem is too few hitpoints. :smallamused:

weckar
2015-02-23, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't give the PCs extra gold - there's all kinds of shenanigans they might get up to - but equipping each character with a free horse or pony, saddlebags, chain shirt (or robe for the wizards) and weapon of choice is a decent thing to do.
Robe? You mean that odd neon target wizards tend to wear?

Zaq
2015-02-23, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't limit it to a set amount. Just say that they can start with whatever mundane equipment they like, within reason, and with the understanding that all their equipment is meant to be used, not simply sold as an investment. If they show up with an entire wagonload full of alchemical items and masterwork weapons, tell them no, but I don't think there's really any harm in allowing the Paladin to afford plate mail straight away, or in allowing the Ranger to buy a proper composite bow, or in letting the Fighter buy a decent horse.

Sure, it requires players who are willing to work with you without gaming the system or taking advantage of generosity, but I would hope that the friends you're gaming with aren't trying to take advantage of you in the first place.

Coidzor
2015-02-23, 01:21 PM
I'd say a party wand of cure minor wounds or possibly even a partially charged wand of cure light wounds that should see them to their first purchased, fully-charged wand of lesser vigor/CLW would be one thing to consider, since at level one, stopping so everyone can heal has been a consistent disruption of flow in my experience.

After that, form up a basic adventurer's kit to give each of them of backpacks and rope and toiletries and such, possibly including a set of leather armor they can upgrade to another suit of armor for the difference in cost, one or two daggers, light crossbow that they can upgrade to a heavy crossbow or martial bow for the difference in cost, and maybe one or two potions of cure light wounds. Then give 'em whatever their wealth would be. Preferably something that'd allow more wizards and sorcerers to start at level 1 with a familiar by RAW.