PDA

View Full Version : STR increasing PrC

bootzin
2015-02-22, 09:00 PM
Hey guys!

So, everyone knows about the War Hulk, which gives you +20 STR in over 10 levels, but I've heard about a PrC that is capable of increasing your strength even further while keeping your BAB.

Does anyone know which PrC is this?

sideswipe
2015-02-22, 09:07 PM
cancer mage

more seriously dragon disciple.

bootzin
2015-02-22, 09:09 PM
Hm, interesting.. I'm not exactly familiar with the class, could you tell me how exactly does it do it?

sideswipe
2015-02-22, 09:10 PM
Hm, interesting.. I'm not exactly familiar with the class, could you tell me how exactly does it do it?

cancer mage or dragon disciple?

bootzin
2015-02-22, 09:13 PM
Cancer mage

But now that you've said it, I thought that Dragon Disciple only gave you a +8 bonus on STR

sideswipe
2015-02-22, 09:17 PM
dragon disciple gives +4 str +2 con and +2 int

cancer mage is a caster prestige class that gives you the ability to completely ignore any negative effects from any disease in the game. but interestingly you keep any benefits if such things would exist.

festering anger is a disease that gives you 1D3 con damage each day until you die. and gives you a +2 bonus to strength every day until you die.

so take cancer mage, get festering anger and sit in a cave for a month and get +60 str.

the reason i wrote it in blue was sarcasm. and you can use festering anger as a mundane character as long as you can cure the con damage easily and reliably.

Troacctid
2015-02-22, 09:18 PM
Warshaper. Dragon Disciple. Dragon Devotee.

Cancer Mage has a class feature that makes you immune to the negative effects of disease, but only the negative effects. It's part of a theoretical optimization trick that uses a disease called Festering Anger, which gives you a cumulative +2 boost to your Strength every day while also dealing you 1d3 Constitution damage and making you really angry. You don't actually need Cancer Mage for it, though. The trick goes just as infinite with a run-of-the-mill Rod of Bodily Restoration.

gawwy
2015-02-22, 09:19 PM
Bear Warrior lets you turn ito a bear when you rage. full bab. +16 str at level 5, increases to +20 at level 10. get a con boost too.

bad stuff: as you turn into a bear all your magic items are absorbed. is only temporary.

bootzin
2015-02-22, 09:28 PM
Ok guys, thanks for the information (:

Cancer mage is really stupid if used this way, and only for TO.

Dragon Disciple/Devotee and Warshaper would get a total of +14 right? But that would use 17 levels, and considering that they all are PrC they can't be used together on non-Epic.

Bear Warrior is really nice, specially because it quaalifies for Warshaper, but the fact that you can't do much more while morphed is kind of a drawback that few people are willing to go for, even for +20 STR

I guess that the easiest and doable way of really pumping STR then is to go for War Hulk with Illumian and get 9~10 levels of cleric, allowing for 3/4 BAB with a spell and the use of that spell that increases your size without the drawbacks of it, right? That would give you the benefits of the War Hulk withou the penalties. Don't know up to what point is it worth it, but it is viable.

Thanks for the tips, anyway (:

Crake
2015-02-22, 09:47 PM

3.5's dragon apothesis grants you an additional 4 str and 2 cha, making it the same adjustments as a half dragon (since that's kinda the whole point of the class). Pathfinder got rid of it in favour of caster progression and dragon form instead, so it depends on what you're playing.

IZ42
2015-02-22, 10:57 PM
The best way to use cancer mage that way is to take Illumian and the sigil that gives you casting based on STR.

Troacctid
2015-02-22, 11:15 PM
Cancer Mage doesn't even do anything. Seriously. The downsides of Festering Anger are both negligible and easily dealt with. Instead of spending three feats and a class level on Cancer Mage, you could just spend one feat, Shape Soulmeld (Strongheart Vest), and get the same effect--better, even, since it applies to any form of ability damage you might take. Or take a level of Binder. Or use lesser restoration once a day. Or spend 3100 gp on a Rod of Bodily Restoration. It's really not that hard.

Andezzar
2015-02-23, 03:49 AM
Or use lesser restoration once a day. Or spend 3100 gp on a Rod of Bodily Restoration. It's really not that hard.Eternal wand of lesser restoration would also work (yes lesser restoration is an arcane spell for the knight of the weave). It's cheaper too (820 gp)

If you want to keep the +20 STR from Warhulk and BAB, get 7+ levels of cleric. Divine Power will increase your BAB to that of a fighter of your character level. It also give a +6 enhancement bonus to STR.

Riculf
2015-02-23, 05:57 AM
Primeval from Frostburn allows you to have an alternate form for upwards of 10 rounds a time. The physical mods are taken from a Dire-type animal/dinosaur of up to 8HD. The stats all onto your existing scores rather than replace them. This would give you +14 STR for a Dire Wolf/Lion as an example.

Chronos
2015-02-23, 10:16 AM
Quoth Troacctid:

Instead of spending three feats and a class level on Cancer Mage, you could just spend one feat, Shape Soulmeld (Strongheart Vest), and get the same effect--better, even, since it applies to any form of ability damage you might take.
Nitpick: You'd also need a couple of points of essentia, to power the vest, which would probably be another feat. Still, two feats and having someone cough on you is a small price to pay for basically unlimited strength.

atemu1234
2015-02-23, 10:38 AM

cancer mage is a caster prestige class that gives you the ability to completely ignore any negative effects from any disease in the game. but interestingly you keep any benefits if such things would exist.

festering anger is a disease that gives you 1D3 con damage each day until you die. and gives you a +2 bonus to strength every day until you die.

so take cancer mage, get festering anger and sit in a cave for a month and get +60 str.

the reason i wrote it in blue was sarcasm. and you can use festering anger as a mundane character as long as you can cure the con damage easily and reliably.

Though nonsarcastically it still works.

danzibr
2015-02-23, 12:37 PM
Eternal wand of lesser restoration would also work (yes lesser restoration is an arcane spell for the knight of the weave). It's cheaper too (820 gp)

If you want to keep the +20 STR from Warhulk and BAB, get 7+ levels of cleric. Divine Power will increase your BAB to that of a fighter of your character level. It also give a +6 enhancement bonus to STR.
Beat me to it. Warhulk + Divine Power.

Also there's a +1 enchantment, Skilled (I think... it might not be +1 and it might not be Skilled) which sets your BAB to 3/4 your HD, iirc. Big if there.

Vhaidara
2015-02-23, 12:48 PM
Forsaker, a 3.0 PrC gets you +1 to any stat at each level. But it's kind of worthless, since it also requires taking all 3 +Save feats and essentally gives you Vow of Poverty with regards to magic items.

Rubik
2015-02-23, 12:59 PM
Any PrC with psion, psywar, wizard, druid, or cleric casting, and I'm sure others have similar effects. We have Polymorph-type effects, Bull's Strength, Animal Affinity, Strength of My Enemy, Consumptive Field, and so on.

If you need the Str boost for a long period of time, Extend and Persist are your friends.

Andezzar
2015-02-23, 01:32 PM
Also there's a +1 enchantment, Skilled (I think... it might not be +1 and it might not be Skilled) which sets your BAB to 3/4 your HD, iirc. Big if there.It's skillful (CA p. 144) actually. And it costs +2.

Void Bovine
2015-02-23, 01:44 PM
Duskblade can work with earth bloodline feat can also increase your size further not sure that helps
- also remembering frenzied berserker gets a +10 at lvl 8

Rubik
2015-02-23, 01:56 PM
How about the lycanthrope racial progression?

danzibr
2015-02-23, 02:11 PM
It's skillful (CA p. 144) actually. And it costs +2.
Wow, my memory is that terrible.