PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Crossblooded sorcerer balance

Zweisteine
2015-02-22, 09:56 PM
As a new (2 days!) participant in the PF scene, I am obligated to suggest solutions to things I don't like, which may or may not be objectively bad!

Well, in this case, the consensus seems to be that it's objectively bad. Crossblooded just sucks. Sure, it makes for a nice dip, but that makes even less sense fluffwise. I mean, if you only manifest one level's worth of sorcerous bloodline, it seems rather odd to manifest two...

So I had a few ideas about how to fix Crossblooded.

The problem with crossblooded (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spellcastingClassOptions/sorcerer.html#crossblooded-(archetype)):

Drawbacks: A crossblooded sorcerer has one fewer spell known at each level (including cantrips) than is presented on the sorcerer spells known table. Furthermore, the conflicting urges created by the divergent nature of the crossblooded sorcerer's dual heritage forces her to constantly take some mental effort just to remain focused on her current situation and needs. This leaves her with less mental resolve to deal with external threats. A crossblooded sorcerer always takes a –2 penalty on Will saves.
The first part can be class-breaking, and the second part makes little sense.

Fix 1: Fewer spells/day
Replace the first sentence of the Crossblooded drawbacks with the following:

A crossblooded sorcerer has one fewer spell per day at each level than is presented on the sorcerer table.
This is the first fix I thought of, and it seems fairly balanced, though it makes the sorcerer little better than a wizard in terms of spells per day.

Fix 2: Get back top-level spells
Replace the first sentence of the Crossblooded drawbacks with the following:

A crossblooded sorcerer has one fewer spell known at each level (including cantrips) than is presented on the sorcerer spells known table (to a minimum of one spell per spell level).
This keeps the spells known reduction, but allows the crossblooded sorcerer to get their new spell levels at the same time as a normal sorcerer.

The will save penalty, while not unbalancing, just seems kind of weird to me. Sure, the two bloodlines are both strong enough to manifest magic in you, but that doesn't mean they can't be integrated.

If anything, wouldn't a lifetime of dealing with "conflicting urges" that require "mental effort just to remain focused" result in a stronger will?

I would suggest a penalty to fortitude instead, because the two bloodlines might be result in a weaker body, but that's just not nice to the sorcerer.

So, do you think these are balanced?

Thanks!

Spore
2015-02-23, 01:35 AM
Crossblooded is simultaneously one of the most creative and one of the worst written archetypes. It allows for INSANE niché builds. But done wrong it screws you over pretty badly. But I get the general goal. Improve the supernatural possibilities by sacrificing spell capabilities.

I'd do the following: Reduce spells/day for any spell level by 1. Let the spells/day max out at 4. This balances the dependance on good Charisma somewhat (for bonus spells) and benefits full sorcerers who have a decent Charisma anyway.

Cut the other drawbacks for crossblooded sorcerers. Now you have dips and niché builds that can solve problems. But their bloodline powers/arcanas extend their adventuring day and improve their toolkit. So you'd cut a bit.

Zanos
2015-02-23, 01:46 AM
I was under the impression that Crossblooded was one of the more popular archetypes for sorcerers. I always see it recommended for sorc builds to stack bloodline arcanas for tons of damage, or just to get two of them in general, since bloodline arcanas are extremely useful.

The penalty to spells known hurts, but not nearly as much as it would in 3.5. Pages of Spell Knowledge(Think runestones) aren't buried in an obscure book, sorcs can get spells known from the human favored class bonus(easily the best for sorcerer), and bloodlines give a free spell known of each level, and paragon surge still lets half-elven(or racial heritage) sorcs get access to any one spell per day.

Crossblooded also expands your options to cherry pick individual bloodline powers and bonus feats, and while minor, does grant two class skills.

The -2 penalty to will saves is a bit wonky, but crossblooded shouldn't be something that every single person takes, and I've seen it a lot in PF games I've played or run.

deuxhero
2015-02-23, 01:47 AM
They made Crossblooded for Bloodrager. The only penalty there is a steep penalty to will saves (-2 and lose the will save boost when raging) on a class with weak will saves and no wisdom use.

The penalty kicks in at level 1, even though you can't use the advantage till level 4 (and you might not use it till at least 7/8). This really makes it so unappitizing, especially when primalist is right next to it for trading out bad rage powers with no penalty.

Spore
2015-02-23, 02:29 AM
I was under the impression that Crossblooded was one of the more popular archetypes for sorcerers. I always see it recommended for sorc builds to stack bloodline arcanas for tons of damage, or just to get two of them in general, since bloodline arcanas are extremely useful.

I believed that too. Until I played a Crossblooded Sorcerer. It ruins the experience for me when I am looking forward to spells that I get two levels later than the wizard. Yes, 7d6+14 fireballs might be cool. But having them on 7th level where everyone is casting Greater Invisibility on the rogue, Black Tentacles or Shadow Conjuration is just not good enough.

Heck I built my Crossblooded Dragon Disciple (which advances both Bloodlines by RAW) and I still feel cheated when I get Form of the Dragon two levels later than the Wizard. I AM BUILT TO BE A FRICKIN' DRAGON! WHY DO I GET THE DRAGON SPELL LATER THAN ALMOST ANYONE? Heck if I'd go Sorcerer 5/Dragon Disciple x then I get the spell THREE levels later.

Kurald Galain
2015-02-23, 02:49 AM

From what I've seen, Crossblooded is one of the more popular archetypes for Wizards and Magi who want to dip one level of sorc.

And I must say I'm not particularly impressed by most bloodline arcana. Yes, there are some good ones out there, but most of them are barely even noticeable in play.