PDA

View Full Version : Blade Pact Warlock - multiclass with Ranger or Bard?

SparksMcGee
2015-02-23, 06:50 AM
Hello, folks.

I'm playing a half-elf Warlock right now (fiend patron). I have Dex & Cha 16 and the Criminal background. Since I got a lot of daggers on my starting equipment, I keep using them for bonus action attacks (unless I have to cast spells with material components; I wish a club was a finesse weapon so I could just get an arcane focus and use it as an improvised off-hand weapon). I want to take blade pact next level and I'm going for a scimitar as my pact blade.

However, I'm considering multiclassing for several reasons. TWF fighting style is not exactly good, but I'm already dual wielding anyway, so getting it wouldn't hurt. Not knowing how to use decent weapons other than my pact blade bothers me. Even though I already have a bunch of skills (half-elf, after all) I could always use more. Also, I'd like to ger better AC. I'm currently torn between Ranger and Bard. It would be a 3 level dip in both cases.

RANGER (Hunter)
*Gets me a fighting style. I could get two-weapon fighting, but I'm not sure. I could get Defense, though - that would get me +1 AC which combined with Dual Wielder is the equivalent of a shield. I would use it a lot less for attacks. I could get a rod for an arcane focus.
*Natural Explorer fits my character backstory (he is an elf cursed to live as a half-elf and is trying to recover his "elfishness")
*Horde Breaker is beautiful and works perfectly with Hex and Dark One's Blessing.

BARD (College of Valor)
*Leadership style abilities fit my backstory (he is the previous leader of a thieve's guilt, but lost most of his memory and skills)
*Expertise. Yes, please.
*College Valor gets me armor and shield proficiency, which is very cool.
*Better spellcasting.

I also have absolutely no clue on how pact magic will interact with my spellcasting for either class.
If anyone could help me choose, I'd appreciate it.

Kane0
2015-02-23, 07:52 AM
Ranger would incite a bit of MADness with its wisdom based casting, might i recommend a fighter dip instead? Action surge is wonderful and second wind is handy, you qualify via dex and it offers you some handy proficiencies and your choice of fighting style. The champion crit on 19 festure might concievably work woth eldritch blast, AFB though so im not sure.
Also all the fighter tricks are short rest based, just like a warlock which is mighty handy.

Bard offers a lot of versatility amd the spell slot swapping could come in handy, and the fact that its a cha caster also helps. Nothing wrong with a bit of bard, and the flavor is a great incentive.
Just keep in mind that the bard is a per day caster, so your rationing will have to change accordingly. Their spell and proficiency access is great though.

LucianoAr
2015-02-23, 11:59 AM
how about assassin rogue dip?

* more skills
* expertise
* cunning action
* sneak attack
* double damage on surprised targets

the roguelock is def going to be my next character. id say bard is not too bad, ranger is MAD all over the place, fighter wouldnt be bad at all.