PDA

View Full Version : Magic items for the mage-killer

Mr.Kraken
2015-02-23, 10:05 AM
So, I'm building a purely martial mage killer. I'm well aware of the disparity between spellcasters and martial characters, especially if you're not using ToB (my case). Still, the game is not high-optimized, so I'm going through with the character. What I'd like to know is this, what are the best magic items I should have for mage killing?

BowStreetRunner
2015-02-23, 10:25 AM
If I recall correctly, there is a tower shield in the Draconomicon and a torc in the Underdark supplement, both which allow you to activate an antimagic field. Also, Impedance weapons from Magic Item Compendium can hamper a spellcaster's abilities when you score a hit.

atemu1234
2015-02-23, 10:40 AM
Anything that allows you to make a caster lose a spell. Use-Activated Magic Items of Antimagic field, for example.

defiantdan
2015-02-23, 10:41 AM
for what level? at 1st level some house cats are a real threat to a low optimzed wizard.

Mr.Kraken
2015-02-23, 10:44 AM
for what level? at 1st level some house cats are a real threat to a low optimzed wizard.

So far, we're level 3, but I'm looking at the bigger picture. Any one you know would be sweet, so I can prepare myself to buy them.

atemu1234
2015-02-23, 10:45 AM

Get an army of War Housecats.

ONWARD MY ADORABLE FLUFFY MINIONS!

ILM
2015-02-23, 10:58 AM
Lethe's Lash is a whip from Planar Handbook which makes any spellcaster lose his highest-level spell every time he's hit.

Antimagic Torc from Underdark, which does what it says on the label.

Soulfire armor enchantment, so the caster wastes one action on you.

Ring of Freedom of Movement, see above.

Sudden Stunning (PHB2) weapon, because casters aren't known for their stellar Reflex saves.

Illusion Bane weapon (MIC), which lets you say no to Displacement and arguably Mirror Image.

Binding weapon (also MIC) to keep them from teleporting away.

Hour/CL and/or persisted buffs up the wazoo, along with a Spellblade (PGtF) to make it easier for you. This may include: flight, extra senses, boosted rolls, miss chances, mobility, immunities.

Feats: Mage Slayer, Pierce Magical Concealment, Stand Still (+AoOs). Classes: I actually like Occult Slayer; the Blank Thoughts capstone is especially practical.

Flickerdart
2015-02-23, 11:00 AM
Rings of counterspelling and spellblades are essential - there's nothing like being able to say "no" against the most dangerous spells you know your quarry relies on. A drow shadow cloak will help you hop out of annoying area effects like Web or suddenly pop into next to the mage to threaten him.

defiantdan
2015-02-23, 12:07 PM
an anti-force weapon to deal with being force caged. Anklets of translocation are a good buy. A ranged weapon with binding. stuff that gives you rerolls (luck blade). Find a way to buy mind blank, freedom of movement and death ward. If you have UMD this becomes much easier. Skin of Proteus is a great buy.

DMVerdandi
2015-02-23, 02:09 PM
Everlasting rations, for when you need to eat while scoping mages out.
Also, handy haversack for reduced sleeping during stakeouts

Maybe armor of spell resistance (even at 19, only works early on)
As was said, ring of counter-spells, definitely a cloak of resistance, boots of teleportation, a ring of freedom of movement.

Assuming that you are already taking
-Mage slayer[feat]
-Pierce Magical Concealment[Feat]
-Pierce Magical Protection[Feat]
-Occult Slayer[Class]

Build Advice?
Human Factotum 1/Spirit lion totem barbarian 1/ Fighter 1/XX/Occult slayer 5
Take Able Learner so you can get all the skills as class skills.

For the life of me, I don't know why this idea is even popular. :small annoyed:

Flickerdart
2015-02-23, 02:56 PM
Maybe armor of spell resistance (even at 19, only works early on)
This armor costs a minimum of 25,000gp. The soonest you can afford it is level 9, when you're dumping all of your wealth into a 50/50 chance vs equal-level casters who never bothered to boost CL or learn some SR: No spells. The MIC actually recommends 25,000GP items as treasure for 15th level characters at which point it's basically worthless.

So no, armor of spell resistance is definitely not recommended.

Karl Aegis
2015-02-23, 03:19 PM
I thought wealth at level 3 was dedicated to getting masterwork full-plate and a masterwork weapon or two. Magic items come next level. Get your "necessary to function" items before getting items for specific threats.

DMVerdandi
2015-02-23, 03:36 PM
This armor costs a minimum of 25,000gp. The soonest you can afford it is level 9, when you're dumping all of your wealth into a 50/50 chance vs equal-level casters who never bothered to boost CL or learn some SR: No spells. The MIC actually recommends 25,000GP items as treasure for 15th level characters at which point it's basically worthless.

So no, armor of spell resistance is definitely not recommended.

13 sr is only 4000 gp.
I didn't say to get 19 at his level, I said that even 19 only works early on[somewhat].

Technically, he could get it by 4th. (It would take out quite a bit of cash though).

With that, he could stop all spells cast by opponents of equal level that didn't roll higher than a 9, which isn't half bad.

Of course, it starts to get worse off, which is when he sells the armor back to someone, haggling the price up.

Azoth
2015-02-23, 04:03 PM
Here is a low-op mage killer build I made. His equipment list should give some decent ideas

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=826350

Flickerdart
2015-02-23, 04:57 PM
13 sr is only 4000 gp.
I didn't say to get 19 at his level, I said that even 19 only works early on[somewhat].

Technically, he could get it by 4th. (It would take out quite a bit of cash though).

With that, he could stop all spells cast by opponents of equal level that didn't roll higher than a 9, which isn't half bad.

Of course, it starts to get worse off, which is when he sells the armor back to someone, haggling the price up.
First of all, it's literally half-bad, since half (or more than half, really) of the time it does nothing, and goes on to do even more of nothing as he gains levels. "Haggling up the price" is not a thing and the money wasted on SR13 can be used on an actually helpful magic item instead.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-23, 05:39 PM
Get an army of War Housecats.

ONWARD MY ADORABLE FLUFFY MINIONS!

I second this, also can i sig this?

Edit: You could be a Drow. Ya the LA sucks, but hey you have SR.

Gurifu
2015-02-23, 06:32 PM
Same items you want for pretty much anyone who can't provide them intrinsically or with spells, just with an even higher priority.

Remember that you can get stuff at a discount if it's class-restricted.

Priorities:

True Sight to find the real wizard in the first place. Cheap: Scout's Headband from MIC.

Protection from Evil/Good, or Mind Blank, to avoid being the wizard's new best friend. PfE is cheap using magic item creation rules. Cheap: Continuous trinket of Protection from Evil. Never leave 2nd level without it.

Freedom of Movement so you can do anything now that you've found the wizard and aren't Charmed. Even the cheaper versions of this will set you back considerably, so save it for late levels.

Flight to get to the flying wizard hiding behind a Wind Wall. No real cheap option, but you need this as soon as enemies gain access to 3rd level spells, so save up. Massive utility even when you aren't fighting wizards. Winged Vest (MIC) is probably your best bang-for-buck.

Short-range teleportation to get past Force Cage, Wall of Whatever, etc. Cheap: Anklet of Translocation (MIC). This should probably be your second magic item purchase after Protection from Evil, even if you plan to upgrade later; again, massive utility.

Binding to keep the wizard's contingency teleport from activating while you smack the HP out of him. It's a +1 equivalent weapon enchantment, so it's cheap.

Those six will let you find the wizard, get you to him, make you able to attack him, and do a decent job of keeping him there while you beat him to death. There are lots of other great items for murdering wizards, but those are the ones you absolutely can't murder them without.

PS: Not a magic item, but...

Sunder. You can sunder component pouches. You can sunder divine foci. Your DM may strangle you, but this will shut down any caster without Eschew Materials.

atemu1234
2015-02-23, 06:36 PM
I second this, also can i sig this?

Edit: You could be a Drow. Ya the LA sucks, but hey you have SR.

Go right ahead. I'd be honored.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-23, 06:47 PM
Same items you want for pretty much anyone who can't provide them intrinsically or with spells, just with an even higher priority.

Remember that you can get stuff at a discount if it's class-restricted.

Priorities:

True Sight to find the real wizard in the first place. Cheap: Scout's Headband from MIC.

Protection from Evil/Good, or Mind Blank, to avoid being the wizard's new best friend. PfE is cheap using magic item creation rules. Cheap: Continuous trinket of Protection from Evil. Never leave 2nd level without it.

Freedom of Movement so you can do anything now that you've found the wizard and aren't Charmed. Even the cheaper versions of this will set you back considerably, so save it for late levels.

Flight to get to the flying wizard hiding behind a Wind Wall. No real cheap option, but you need this as soon as enemies gain access to 3rd level spells, so save up. Massive utility even when you aren't fighting wizards. Winged Vest (MIC) is probably your best bang-for-buck.

Short-range teleportation to get past Force Cage, Wall of Whatever, etc. Cheap: Anklet of Translocation (MIC). This should probably be your second magic item purchase after Protection from Evil, even if you plan to upgrade later; again, massive utility.

Binding to keep the wizard's contingency teleport from activating while you smack the HP out of him. It's a +1 equivalent weapon enchantment, so it's cheap.

Those six will let you find the wizard, get you to him, make you able to attack him, and do a decent job of keeping him there while you beat him to death. There are lots of other great items for murdering wizards, but those are the ones you absolutely can't murder them without.

PS: Not a magic item, but...

Sunder. You can sunder component pouches. You can sunder divine foci. Your DM may strangle you, but this will shut down any caster without Eschew Materials.

These are all great suggestions, also you can get flying with Soulmelds if you have a spare feat or two laying around, same with teleportation (though its a lot less awesome)

In my personal experience Flying isnt such a big deal, then again im usually running around in dungeons and the room is rarely larger than 15 ft (so Spider Climb is my usual go to), but YMMV.

Also there is a specific longsword Shatterspike, from the Sunless Citadel module, that, IIRC, gives you Imp Sunder as a feat.

Edit: Oh and Topaz Guardian has an effect very similar to Protection from Evil with their Topaz Diadem ability. I pretty much see it as a free magic item for taking the PrC, it also helps that it isnt awful.

Jack_Simth
2015-02-23, 07:09 PM
Well, there's always the lists of necessary magic items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items).

Crake
2015-02-24, 01:51 AM
13 sr is only 4000 gp.

13 SR is a +2 enhancement, that's far from 4000gp. At minimum it's 9000gp (since you need the minimum +1 before you can enchant it). If you get it from a cloak, it's 10,000gp. By the time you can afford it, it will barely ever come into effect. It's much better to just get some form of innate, scaling SR, like being a drow or from phrenic.

ApologyFestival
2015-02-24, 06:38 AM
The list of necessary magic items linked by Jack_Simth is a good start. But, has anyone ever actually got a custom magic item derived from the Dungeon Master's Guide's guidelines--as suggested by the necessary magic items thread and Gurifu in this one--okayed for use in an actual game? They're very frequently suggested, but I wouldn't dare try to sneak one past any of my DMs, nor would they be mad enough to accept if I were honest about how great the items were for their price. The logical consequence of allowing such items to be created is having every notable character in your world being weighed down with ludicrously cheap alignment- or class-restricted, skill-restricted items that grant permanent true strike, wraithstrike, immunity to mind-affecting, invisibility, flight speeds... and any number of valuable effects that can be found on low-level spells with normally very short durations.

ILM
2015-02-24, 08:10 AM
Personally, I disallow continuous items of spells with a duration of one round or less, with effects that only happen when the spell is discharged, or whose effects only affect "your next attack" or some variation thereof. I also disregard the rules that make them cheaper when there's some kind of restriction. That takes care of most of the balance issues to be honest.

Flickerdart
2015-02-24, 10:18 AM
Personally, I disallow continuous items of spells with a duration of one round or less, with effects that only happen when the spell is discharged, or whose effects only affect "your next attack" or some variation thereof. I also disregard the rules that make them cheaper when there's some kind of restriction. That takes care of most of the balance issues to be honest.

The highlighted bit is the crux of the issue - nothing about custom items is rules. It's all guidelines, so as the DM you don't have to ban anything, you can just laugh in the face of anyone who brings you a "sword of on-hit True Strike but only LG dwarf paladins named Hank can use it so it's discounted to 50gp" while slowly setting them on fire.

BowStreetRunner
2015-02-24, 10:39 AM
The highlighted bit is the crux of the issue - nothing about custom items is rules. It's all guidelines, so as the DM you don't have to ban anything, you can just laugh in the face of anyone who brings you a "sword of on-hit True Strike but only LG dwarf paladins named Hank can use it so it's discounted to 50gp" while slowly setting them on fire.

Break out the marshmallows! I strongly support this attitude when dealing with Player hi-jinx of this sort. :smallcool:

Gurifu
2015-02-24, 04:46 PM
IIRC only the highest discount applies in the magic item creation guidelines. Though that might be Pathfinder, not 3.5.

My standard approach as both a player and a DM towards whether a custom item is appropriate is the Alternative Test: "Is there a reasonably attainable alternative that grants a similar benefit ? If yes, the item is probably okay."

For instance, instead of buying an Amulet of Continuous Protection from Evil, I could just buy a sack full of potions of Protection from Evil and quaff one before every combat, or buy a wand and have a caster cast it on me before every combat, etc.

One charge off of a level 1 wand per combat should last, what... about three levels? For 750gp? But pre-casting is tedious, as is keeping track of essentially limitless consumables, so everyone who has the option will go for a continuous item instead.

Flickerdart
2015-02-24, 05:26 PM
For instance, instead of buying an Amulet of Continuous Protection from Evil, I could just buy a sack full of potions of Protection from Evil and quaff one before every combat, or buy a wand and have a caster cast it on me before every combat, etc.

One charge off of a level 1 wand per combat should last, what... about three levels? For 750gp? But pre-casting is tedious, as is keeping track of essentially limitless consumables, so everyone who has the option will go for a continuous item instead.
The value of a continuous item isn't that you don't have to endure tedium, it's that you don't need to waste actions in combat pre-buffing. Nobody has perfect "oh we're about to fight" sense such that they buff in advance every time, or even really most times.

DeltaEmil
2015-02-24, 07:51 PM
If you desperately need a continuous item of protection from evil, there's a magic banner that does that in Heroes of Battle.