PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Masterwork Weapons

Submortimer
2015-02-23, 02:17 PM
Masterwork weapons and weapon options

So, its obviously understood that there is a level of item that isn't represented anymore in the DMG, that being masterwork items: Weapons, Armor, and tools of such superior craftsmanship that they seem very nearly magical in their properties. These are items that the players can purchase, that can be highly specialized, and provide mechanical bonuses that, while still not as strictly good as a +1 weapon, are significant or change the way the weapon works in some fashion. This is a very early rough draft, and any feedback is highly appreciated.

Masterwork - All Masterwork weapons have the 'Masterwork' property. This allows the wielder to reroll 1s on any damage roll made with the weapon. The cost is that of the weapon +100 Gold.
Additionally, depending on the skill of the given smith, Other properties may be added to the weapon. These are listed below

Options

Blade
There are a number of way in which a master smith may effect the abilities of a given blade, from clever hardening techniques and creative gooving schemes, to mixing exotic materials into the steel. As a rule, a given blade may only have one damage type, and may not have abilities that contradict each other (Alloyed and Leadend, for example). As well, unlike other options on this list, Options on a blade may only be added at creation, and may not be changed later on.
- Alloyed: +500 gold, May only be placed on a weapon that does not have the Heavy property. Weapon gains the finesse property.
- Leadend: +500 gold. Weapon gains the heavy property, loses the finesse or light property if it had it before, and deals an additional die of damage on a critical
- Blunted: no change to cost. Damage type changes to bludgeoning
- Bladed: no change to cost. Damage type changes to slashing
- Pointed: No change to cost. Damage type changes to piercing.
- Weighted: +100 Gold, may only be placed on light weapons that my be thrown. Deals +1 damage on attacks when thrown.
- Tempered: +200 Gold. Weapon has resistance to B/S/P damage from non-magical weapons

Haft/handle
A master smith can carefully adjust the heft and feel of a weapon, increasing it's maneuverability and useability without sacrificing its power. A given weapon may only have one type of Haft or handle.
- balanced: +500 Gold, May only be placed on a two handed/heavy weapon. Weapon gains the versatile property. Damage die is 1 step down, e.g. 2d6/1d12 -> 1d10, 1d10 -> 1d8.
- Elongated: +500 Gold. The Weapon loses the Light or Versatile properties if it had either, and gains the Two Handed property. Weapon's reach increases by 5 ft. If this increases weapon reach to 15ft. or longer, you have disadvantage on attacks within 5ft. If the weapon was Versatile beforehand, It now only uses the larger damage die.
- Double-headed: +500 gold and the cost of the second weapon, may only be added to 1 handed, non heavy weapons. Weapon gains the two-handed property, and loses the versatile property if it had it before. Weapon gains a second end that functions as another weapon of the same catagory. The wielder may treat both weapons as if they had the light property for the purposes of two weapon fighting.

Guard
A properly designed guard is not only beautiful, but functional as well. Smiths have been known to spend years perfecting just this one aspect of weaponmaking. A weapon may ony have one type of guard.
- Basket: +500 Gold. Weapon grants +1 AC when taking the Dodge action.
- Toothed: +500 gold. Wielder gains advantage when attempting to disarm an opponents weapon

Inspired by this thread here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?399715-Masterwork-Weapons&p=18865150#post18865150

Edits: More changes for clarification.

Mcdt2
2015-02-23, 04:20 PM
It took me some time to figure out this was actually for 5th Edition. Might I suggest adding the proper tag?

I'd give some actual critique, but I don't play much of 5e. Sorry.

Kryx
2015-02-24, 04:18 AM
I want to like small bonuses to weapons, but I feel these are too much. I loved small unique bonuses on PF weapons such as +2 to trip and the like. I'd like to see similar for 5e.

Increasing reach, changing damage die, etc are too much for my tastes.

Leuku
2015-02-25, 02:13 AM
Masterwork - All Masterwork weapons have the 'Masterwork' property. This allows the wielder to reroll 1s on any damage roll made with the weapon. The cost is that of the weapon +100 Gold.

I like the reroll 1s bit.

Blade
There are a number of way in which a master smith may effect the abilities of a given blade, from clever hardening techniques and creative gooving schemes, to mixing exotic materials into the steel. As a rule, a given blade may only have one damage type, and may not have abilities that contradict each other (Alloyed and Leadend, for example). As well, unlike other options on this list, Options on a blade may only be added at creation, and may not be changed later on.
- Alloyed: +500 gold. Weapon gains the finesse property
- Leadend: +500 gold. Weapon gains the heavy property, loses the finesse or light property if it had it before, and deals an additional die of damage on a critical
- Blunted: no change to cost. Damage type changes to bludgeoning
- Bladed: no change to cost. Damage type changes to slashing
- Pointed: No change to cost. Damage type changes to piercing.
- Weighted: +100 Gold, may only be placed on light weapons that my be thrown. Deals +1 damage on attacks when thrown.
- Tempered: +200 Gold. Weapon has resistance to B/S/P damage from non-magical weapons

Alloyed feels too strong. It would allow a Rogue to Sneak Attack with a Greatsword. Perhaps limit it to only one-handed weapons; any weapon wielded in two hands cannot be wielded with the finesse property.

Haft/handle
A master smith can carefully adjust the heft and feel of a weapon, increasing it's maneuverability and useability without sacrificing its power. A given weapon may only have one type of Haft or handle.
- balanced: +500 Gold, May only be placed on a two handed/heavy weapon. Weapon gains the versatile property. Damage die is 1 step down, e.g. 2d6/1d12 -> 1d10, 1d10 -> 1d8.
- elongated: +500 Gold. Weapon's reach increases by 5 ft. If this increases weapon reach to 15ft. or longer, you have disadvantage on attacks within 5ft.
- Double-headed: +500 gold and the cost of the second weapon, may only be added to 1 handed, non heavy weapons. Weapon gains the two-handed property, and loses the versatile property if it had it before. Weapon gains a second end that functions as another weapon of the same catagory. The wielder may treat both weapons as if they had the light property for the purposes of two weapon fighting.

Balanced would allow someone with the Dual Wielder feat to dual wield 1d12 Greatswords. That sounds iffy.

Guard
A properly designed guard is not only beautiful, but functional as well. Smiths have been known to spend years perfecting just this one aspect of weaponmaking. A weapon may ony have one type of guard.
- Basket: +500 Gold. Weapon grants +1 AC when taking the Dodge action.
- Toothed: +500 gold. Wielder gains advantage when attempting to disarm an opponents weapon

Otherwise, cool cool cool.

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-02-25, 04:09 AM
I like this. Not sure if balanced, which is an issue. I'm especially concerned about the "reroll 1's" bit. It steps on Great Weapon Fighter's toes, and should probably just be a +1 to Damage. Other than that, I agree with Leuku...except I like having a Finesse Longsword available for players who like katanas/Elvish weapons. :smalltongue:

Leuku
2015-02-25, 04:14 AM
I like this. Not sure if balanced, which is an issue. I'm especially concerned about the "reroll 1's" bit. It steps on Great Weapon Fighter's toes, and should probably just be a +1 to Damage. Other than that, I agree with Leuku...except I like having a Finesse Longsword available for players who like katanas/Elvish weapons. :smalltongue:

Sure, let your players have a Finesse Longsword, just don't let them wield it two-handed :smalltongue:

I'm just worried about Finesse Greatswords, Mauls, Greataxes, Glaives, Halberds, heck even Lances.

Submortimer
2015-02-25, 11:10 AM
Alloyed feels too strong. It would allow a Rogue to Sneak Attack with a Greatsword. Perhaps limit it to only one-handed weapons; any weapon wielded in two hands cannot be wielded with the finesse property.

I don't totally disagree with you. I was considering putting in some sort of damage penalty for alloying your weapon, but that's starting to get more complicated than I intended.

Balanced would allow someone with the Dual Wielder feat to dual wield 1d12 Greatswords. That sounds iffy.

By design :) Also, it's 1d10, not 1d12. Both a greataxe and a greatsword would shift down to 1d10.

Otherwise, cool cool cool.

Thanks!

I appreciate all the Feedback, hopefully i'll have some time to flesh this out a lot further.

Ralanr
2015-02-25, 01:43 PM
- elongated: +500 Gold. Weapon's reach increases by 5 ft. If this increases weapon reach to 15ft. or longer, you have disadvantage on attacks within 5ft.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this means that you can give a warhammer reach? Making it so that someone can swing their warhammer up to a ten foot range as a melee attack?

Yeah I'm not sure how that would work, plus you'd have to explain doing it to a dagger (which is a likely option because it gives rogues a longer range for melee sneak attack). With the disadvantage it looks like it would keep it balanced but...I don't know. The image of someone being able to swing their hammer that far with one hand seems odd to me.

Submortimer
2015-02-25, 02:17 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this means that you can give a warhammer reach? Making it so that someone can swing their warhammer up to a ten foot range as a melee attack?

Yeah I'm not sure how that would work, plus you'd have to explain doing it to a dagger (which is a likely option because it gives rogues a longer range for melee sneak attack). With the disadvantage it looks like it would keep it balanced but...I don't know. The image of someone being able to swing their hammer that far with one hand seems odd to me.

You're not wrong. I need to make an edit to it. Elongated should remove the light and versatile qualities and add the two handed quality. It WOULD maintain the finesse quality. Thanks!