PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Eidolon natural attack help

Kingscourt
2015-02-23, 02:37 PM
Hey guys, so I'm just posting here because I have a new PC who's made a summoner, and I just want to make sure his Eidolon's attacks are correct for his level. I'm not too familiar with the summoner class, but with his 10 evolution points he has:

Limbs (2)
Claws (1)
Claws (1)
Improved DMG claws (1)
Rend (2)
Reach (1)
Energy attack (fire) (2)

So the way I'm reading it, as a full round attack at level 6 his Eidolon has 4 claws at +9 (BAB plus 18 str) for 1d6+4 each, plus 1d6 fire per hit, plus 1d6+6 for a rend for every two claws that hit. Is that right? It just seems a little high for 6th level, then again our party isn't terribly optimized.

Any help clarifying this would be really helpful, thanks

Barstro
2015-02-23, 02:53 PM
Level 6 is maximum of 9 Evolution Points (unless PC is half-elf)
Level 6 is maximum of Four Attacks.
Rend: "Whenever the eidolon makes two successful claw attacks against the same target in 1 round, its claws latch onto the flesh and deal extra damage." Interesting, it is rather vague.
Rending Claws (combat feat) has max of 1/rd.
Monster Rule Rend has same ruling.

Your other figures seem ok, except that Rend works only once per round.
Note: Reach is only for a single attack, not type. So, only one of the Eidolon's arms has reach.

What body type is your Eidolon? Different types have different starting evolutions that could change some figures.

Vhaidara
2015-02-23, 03:01 PM
First, Rend 1/round. Second, Reach applies to individual natural attacks. So he would have one claw at 10ft reach, and three at 5.

Also, consider the amount of attack rolls he needs to land, and what DR 5/magic or Fire Resist 5 would do to his damage output.

grarrrg
2015-02-23, 10:35 PM
...10 evolution points he has:

Limbs (2)
Claws (1)
Claws (1)
Improved DMG claws (1)
Rend (2)
Reach (1)
Energy attack (fire) (2)

Level 6 is maximum of 9 Evolution Points (unless PC is half-elf)
Level 6 is maximum of Four Attacks...
What body type is your Eidolon? Different types have different starting evolutions that could change some figures.

I'm going to assume that it's a Biped and that one of those sets of Claws is the Base-set.
(he mentioned 18 STR at level 6, and obviously not spending any points on +STR, so it must be a Biped 16STR+2 from levels)

It just seems a little high for 6th level, then again our party isn't terribly optimized.
If built to be a melee-beatstick, an Eidolon WILL be a melee-beatstick (just look at the Bigger Boat Eidolon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?245496-PF-We-re-gonna-need-a-bigger-boat)).
Do note that the Eidolon in question has little/no out of combat utility, whereas one that took Flying or Skilled would be less useful in a fight, but more handy out of one.
Lastly, why Elemental>Fire? That's the WORST element!