PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul class skills

Epiphanis
2007-04-07, 04:05 PM
It bothers me that Favored Soul doesn't have Knowledge (religion) as a class skill. Wizards have it, bards have it, monks have it. But divine casting Favored Souls don't. Okay, I get that they are supposed to be relatively unschooled, but, like, if a god is giving you power, shouldn't you know somethig about him?

The omission is especially conspicuous and irritating in the number of good divine-caster PrCs that require ranks in Knowledge (religion). Pisses me off that wizards can qualify for Divine Oracle without multiclassing much earlier than F.S.es can.

Is there a sensible game design reason why this is the case?

KIDS
2007-04-07, 04:11 PM
I've noticed the same thing and been annoyed by it. Obviously wizards wanted to make some "opposite" class, and did it mostly well, but as you said, it doesn't make sense that they don't have Knowledge (Religion). Where would they learn arcane secrets anyway?
In my games, if it bothers the player (or as a player too), I houserule it to have either only Knowledge (Religion) or both Knowledge skills as class skills.

Amiria
2007-04-07, 04:13 PM
No, imo there is no senible game design reason there. WotC really pulled a wilson with that decision.

Jeramiahh
2007-04-07, 04:18 PM
Actually, Wizards has, more or less admitted their mistake; in the "Dead Levels" article, they recommend giving Favored Souls Knowledge:Arcana or Religion as a class skill at first level.

DraPrime
2007-04-07, 08:15 PM
As a DM I would immediately make it a class skill. It just makes no sense.

Kel_Arath
2007-04-07, 08:55 PM
it makes perfect sense. their power is inherent like a sorcorers is. they dont study the god they just believe in it. so they dont know about all the different gods and what they mean and who worships them. just that they worship their god and what he/she/it stands for

Kultrum
2007-04-07, 09:00 PM
I would say that them not taking it make sense but it not being a class skill doesn't. I mean if you had a dream where your deity was talking to you, woke up and could cast spells you might want to do a little research into the subject

Devils_Advocate
2007-04-07, 11:22 PM
it makes perfect sense. their power is inherent like a sorcorers is.
So do you think that sorcerers shouldn't have Knowledge (arcana) as a class skill?

I fully agree with what Kultrum said, for both favored souls and sorcerers. Studying and attempting to gain a better sense of the source of one's powers isn't unrelated to the class that gives you those powers.

Rockphed
2007-04-07, 11:34 PM
If the favored soul is something like Moses, he had better be able to get ranks in Knowledge: Religion. He is going to found one soon.

TheOOB
2007-04-07, 11:43 PM
It is by no means required for a favored soul to have knowledge(religion), but I think it's well within reason for a living scion of a god to be able to learn about religion and divine magic should they want.

Just as anyone who casts spells should have concentraition, knowledge(arcana), and spellcraft as class skills, anyone who uses divine magic or is connected to a god should have knowledge(religion) as a class skill.

DraPrime
2007-04-08, 03:20 PM
If I was a favored soul I would definitely want to know about my god. I mean seriously.

God: I'm going to give you mystical powers!

Favored Soul: I'm an intuitive spellcaster so I don't feel like learning a lot about the person who granted me awesome powers.

God: Ummm.....

That's not gonna happen.

Epiphanis
2007-04-08, 03:36 PM
Well, there is some rioleplaying hook potential there:

*doorbell rings, is answered by FS*

PELOR: Lo, my son, thou hast pleased me! I shall grant unto thee great powers beyond the ken of mor...

FS: Sorry, gave at the office. *slams door*

*doorbell rings, answered again*

PELOR: ... Thou shalt go forth among the people and spread the word of Pelor, Lord of the Day, Master of the...

*slam*

FS: Sheesh... solicitors.

*doorbell rings*

FS: Who is it?

*pause*

PELOR: Candygram.