PDA

View Full Version : Soul Edge + Soul Calibur

j_spencer93
2015-02-23, 06:04 PM
I want to create an idea around the soul calibur/soul edge games. Basically a fragment of the abyssal gain sentence but was shattered by a powerful celestial. The fragments rained to the material plane were they were found and fused to certain beings creating the villains (each based off of a soul edge character) while the celestial was slain and his essence fused with his own blade.

Anyways:
Soul Edge- how would you stat it and what abilities would you give it? Needs a high ego but i am not good with making artifacts.
Soul Caliber- again, any ideas?

Flickerdart
2015-02-23, 06:09 PM
Check out the Epic Intelligent Item rules. The regular Intelligent Item rules will catch you up with the basics, but the abilities they have are so utterly lame and not worthy of either sword.

TheCrowing1432
2015-02-23, 06:10 PM
Both of them are Zewihander type swords, so great swords is probably the base stats youd want to use.

As far as powers are concerned.

Soul Edge is probably an unholy vampiric greatsword

Whereas Soul Caliber is a holy smiting greatsword.

j_spencer93
2015-02-23, 06:13 PM
Thanks flickerdart, idk why that didn't cross my mind...
And ya i was figuring something along those but soul edge also consumes souls, so maybe not vampiric but soul drinking? Name fits slightly better and it works (sorta). Failing against its ego makes you chaotic. Take's the form of the wielder's preferred weapon, can't think of enchantment name. Should drain wielder's health after they haven't feed it souls, and should make them physically stronger.
As for soul calibur, i am not really sure if it has shown anything useful in the games. Also isn't really good, it actually just tempts its wielder to destroy soul edge and keep order. So maybe if you fail against its ego you become lawful? Same as above. Should grant wielder regin, and defensive abilities.

sideswipe
2015-02-23, 06:24 PM
i have only played soul calibur 2.

to stop it being to much like a carbon copy i would change it a bit, but the overall idea is sound.

here are some ideas to get yours flowing, change the words soul edge and calibur.

when the "soul edge" was shattered by the celestial and his weapon "the soul calibur", it rained down and fused with the mortals of the material plain. giving them abilities or modifications, ranging from fiend given sorcerer abilities that are sped up in how fast they develop to half fiend templates. including changing some humans into tieflings and possibly other "fiend touched or bloodlines".

the dying words of the "soul edge" were a prophecy that if the pieces were ever united he would be revived.

whenever a carrier of a fragment dies the fragment randomly attaches to a newborn and the cycle continues.
but if one fragment owner kills another then they gain the fragment and more powers of the legendary "soul edge"

you could design a type of "legacy weapon" progression that advances when you gain more shards.

the "soul calibur" could have been cast into the mortal world to assist them in finding the fragments and destroying them. sadly the soul calibur can only scatter the fragments of the people it kills, not get rid of the fragments.

you could have the "soul calibur" be a +5 vorpal (always works against evil outsiders if a 20 even if immune) sentient weapon that can tell the wielder about any nearby fragments and be able to sense greater density or power of the fragments from greater distances.

possibly have it as a legacy weapon with a huge amount of power to gain with little drawbacks. i hate legacy weapon drawbacks.

j_spencer93
2015-02-23, 06:31 PM
really like some of your ideas, except vorpal thing. However i like the collect shards - legacy thing. Really like that alot, since my main villain is seeking these fragments, and if he gets an amount equal to his HD he becomes this uber powerful BBEG i made (player's obviously supposed to stop him).
Soul Edge - I like the idea of soul edge being reborn if all pieces are gathered again (thinking of twenty, with NPCs who found them ranging from 1-20, also some being just mental unstable-demonic mass murderers). Will retain the ability for it to drive the wielders chaotic, and keep soul drinking aspect. The more shard combined will increase its legacy chart. Main drawbacks being a progressively higher hp drain (sedated by soul drinking an =hd target per day) and higher ego checks but benefits of high offensive ability. Still transforms into desired weapon upon acquiring.
Soul caliber - purifying the fragments of those it slays would be neat and work well. will retain the ego check to not be driven Lawful. The more shards it purifys will progress its legacy chart. Main draw backs being higher ego checks to avoid Lawful but benefits from regen and buffs to wielder, and maybe a few other things. Still transforms into desired weapon upon acquiring.

Thinking of a nasty surprise for anyone that expects to wield both, if both are wielded they progress to their max legacy and recreate the being from which both came, the true neutral Algol. I got some power hungry characters so this might be cool.

sideswipe
2015-02-23, 06:35 PM
really like some of your ideas, except vorpal thing. However i like the collect shards - legacy thing. Really like that alot, since my main villain is seeking these fragments, and if he gets an amount equal to his HD he becomes this uber powerful BBEG i made (player's obviously supposed to stop him).
Soul Edge - I like the idea of soul edge being reborn if all pieces are gathered again (thinking of twenty, with NPCs who found them ranging from 1-20, also some being just mental unstable-demonic mass murderers). Will retain the ability for it to drive the wielders chaotic, and keep soul drinking aspect. the more shard combined will increase its legacy chart.
Soul caliber - purifying the fragments of those it slays would be neat and work well. will retain the ego check to not be driven Lawful. The more shards it purifys will progress its legacy chart.

the only problem is if the calibur gets rid of one shard permanently then the prophecy cannot come true. which is why i left it at only scatter them.

so if someone has collected 5 shards (a large amount) then the 5 shards scatter upon death. so that the threat of the prophecy always exists.

j_spencer93
2015-02-23, 06:38 PM
the only problem is if the calibur gets rid of one shard permanently then the prophecy cannot come true. which is why i left it at only scatter them.

so if someone has collected 5 shards (a large amount) then the 5 shards scatter upon death. so that the threat of the prophecy always exists.

Ah somehow i didn't even catch the reasoning behind that. You have a point there, so scattering them would be better. Thinking of making them go dormant for 1d4 years or something might be a good addition too. Although if someone possessing an active fragment finds it, it reactivates.
My player's don't mind complex weapons so this should work.

Zanos
2015-02-23, 07:19 PM
It's been awhile since I played a SC game, but soul calibur isn't actually "good", it just really hates soul edge, since it was forged specifically to destory it. At the core, SC is just as ruthless and manipulative as SE, just more subtle about it.

j_spencer93
2015-02-23, 07:33 PM
It's been awhile since I played a SC game, but soul calibur isn't actually "good", it just really hates soul edge, since it was forged specifically to destory it. At the core, SC is just as ruthless and manipulative as SE, just more subtle about it.

exactly, hence why i was trying to avoid the good part, although it is more commonly wielded by good people.
Instead, in newer games especially, it is about order and destroying soul edge.
But i think a lawful good angel works just find

KillianHawkeye
2015-02-23, 07:47 PM
Also, the Soul Calibur should get the same form-changing power as the Soul Edge, since in the original game it was a Chinese longsword wielded by Xianghua but it became a greatsword in later games when Siegfried gets it.

j_spencer93
2015-02-23, 07:56 PM
Also, the Soul Calibur should get the same form-changing power as the Soul Edge, since in the original game it was a Chinese longsword wielded by Xianghua but it became a greatsword in later games when Siegfried gets it.

Accounted for, but thinking of instead of that enchantment it be one of the artifact's unique abilities.

Now i have a question about soul edge; would +x strength (sword of kas idea, x will be legacy level of weapon), +4 enchantments (soul drinking, tainted, +2 more. gain new one every 5 levels), preferred weapon form. seems a little lacking still, need something more. Also need an idea how to handle that hp drain, would the drain = hd be to much?

Soul Edge- +x strength (x=legacy level), +4 weapon enchantments (1 per 5 legacy levels; tainted, profane, souldrinking, profane burst, anarchic, doom burst, fear burst), takes shape of user's most preferred weapon. Ego check each day or become chaotic, another fail progresses to chaotic evil. A successful check regresses this back 1 stage. 3 failed in a row makes alignment change permanent.

NOW i need more help with soul calibur
Soul Edge- +x to AC and/or saves [may be split up amongst them, sacred] (x=legacy level), +4 enchantments (1 per 5 legacy levels; [weapon] valorous, sacred, kuni crystal, axiomatic, sacred burst, [armor] health, sanctuary, +2 natural armor from crystal, invulnerability), takes shape of user's most preferred weapon. Ego check each day or become lawful, another fail progresses to chaotic neutral. A successful check regresses this back 1 stage. 3 failed in a row makes alignment change permanent.