PDA

View Full Version : Did I Do This Right?

The Bandicoot
2015-02-23, 06:24 PM
Ok so I got inspired by a figurine that I bought a while ago to make a crazy character. I applied the Half Golem(Iron) template from Savage Species twice to an ape. Lets say the ape passes its will saves and then some druid takes pity on it and awakens it....... I'm wondering if I did all the math correctly and if so, what general level would you guys put it at for a player character. I'm guessing it'd be somewhere in the high teens myself....

The sheet in question. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1131350)

TheCrowing1432
2015-02-23, 06:38 PM
The sheet is blank, and I dont think you can apply a template twice.

weckar
2015-02-23, 06:38 PM
Sheet looks awfully blank.

The Bandicoot
2015-02-23, 06:52 PM
Oh you have got to be kidding me, I did all that and mythweavers wiped it. Give me a second or two to redo it.

EDIT: Should be fine now :smallredface:

The Bandicoot
2015-02-24, 08:49 AM
A hundred and some odd views and nothing to show for it

aspekt
2015-02-24, 09:17 AM
I'm confused as to how you applied the template twice.

The Bandicoot
2015-02-24, 09:35 AM
With this exception of the strength I stacked the stat changes and the natural armor. That's about the only thing you get from multiple applications of the half-golem template.

dysprosium
2015-02-24, 12:13 PM
I would like to see the mini that you used as the basis for this character though technically this is not a playable character by RAW.

The half golem template is from Monster Manual II. That book is 3.0 but the 3.5 update assigned the LA -- which means unplayable. The awaken spell likewise does not give a level adjustment for the recipient of the spell.

Also no matter how many limbs are put onto the base creature, the template is added only once. That is to emulate the base creature becoming more golem-like. Adding more limbs to the base creature just makes the Will save harder to resist the change to neutral evil construct.

In your scenario and as you put in your last post, you stacked the abilities (except Strength) and natural armor twice. If you had done that twice, the standard ape would not have survived -- Int 2 and Cha 7 would be lowered to negative numbers. You stacked the positive adjustments twice. (The template also does not have a convenient [minimum 1] for the negative modifiers.) If this kind of template stacking was correct, then no creature would be able to survive the process -- taking a -6 hit per limb would kill even epic creatures. On the flip side, a base creature that gained six limbs would have a +66(!) natural armor class. Compare to an actual iron golem which is +22. You could make a creature more iron golem than an actual iron golem!

The awakened ape half iron golem abilities should be: Str 33 (21 base + 12 template), Dex 11 (15 base - 4 template, Con 18 (14 base + 4 template, Int (rolled 3d6 assuming it could survive the process as 2 base - 6 template = [-4]), Wis 12 (no adjustment), Cha between 1 and 4 (base 7 - 6 template +1d3 awaken).

Since this is not a legal player character, then it can only be allowed as one by DM fiat.

Personally I like playing unusual characters so let's try to figure this out: Effective Character Level 13 (4 ape racial hit dice plus 2 awakened hit dice + 1 level adjustment for awakened + 6 level adjustment for half golem template) and this is before any class levels that you decide to put on it. Please note the level adjustments are my guesses for what a legal PC could have.

lytokk
2015-02-25, 12:52 PM
An alternative way, without seeing the inspiration, is the play a warforged charger (MM3). Large sized, some Hit die to deal with, but it seems to be a more rules-legal way to get what you want. I'm pretty sure there's a WF component that grants it an extra set of arms.

atemu1234
2015-02-25, 04:13 PM
An alternative way, without seeing the inspiration, is the play a warforged charger (MM3). Large sized, some Hit die to deal with, but it seems to be a more rules-legal way to get what you want. I'm pretty sure there's a WF component that grants it an extra set of arms.

And the DM won't go "yealolno."

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-02-25, 04:38 PM
I'll agree that a Warforged Charger from MM3 (ECL 8) is basically what you're going for, plus it's actually rules-legal to create and play provided you're sufficient level:

This construct looks like an ogre-sized gorilla, walking on both its short legs and its hammerlike hands. Its body is heavily plated.

SiuiS
2015-02-25, 05:14 PM
The sheet is blank, and I dont think you can apply a template twice.

Half golem can be applied multiple times.

I would like to see the mini that you used as the basis for this character though technically this is not a playable character by RAW.

The half golem template is from Monster Manual II. That book is 3.0 but the 3.5 update assigned the LA -- which means unplayable. The awaken spell likewise does not give a level adjustment for the recipient of the spell.

The half golem template itself, more specifically, allows player use.

Also no matter how many limbs are put onto the base creature, the template is added only once. That is to emulate the base creature becoming more golem-like. Adding more limbs to the base creature just makes the Will save harder to resist the change to neutral evil construct.

Hmm. Is that explicit? My reading of it when I still had the book was it could be applied multiple times.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-02-25, 08:23 PM
Hmm. Is that explicit? My reading of it when I still had the book was it could be applied multiple times.

It can and cannot. It can be applied as long as you have limbs to replace and do not fail the save, which changes your type to one half-golem cannot be applied to any further. You also need to deal with your Int and Cha being shredded with each application. Odds are you cannot apply this template more than twice simply because you will turn into an object on the 3rd application.

Urpriest
2015-02-25, 08:35 PM
It's pretty clear it wasn't intended to be a PC, guys. While some people make the mistake of thinking that Half-Golem is legal for PC-use, there's no way to mistake an Awakened Animal as a viable PC, since there's no LA calculation at all.

That said, you're using a 3.0 damage reduction, should be updated to 3.5. Also, since it's an NPC you'll want to calculate a CR, if only in case you need to award XP.

Edit: Ah, nevermind, didn't read the full OP. Anyway, I guess one could homebrew an LA for it, though it would be kind of awkward to do so since it's a rather one-sided creature.

The Bandicoot
2015-02-26, 09:27 AM
The figure in question (http://www.papo-france.com/en/produits/fiche-371-gorilla-mutant)

Yeah, I might just end up refluffing a warforged charger if I do end up wanting to play this. However, if I just want to make it a mini-boss encounter.......