PDA

View Full Version : Optimization can you fill a spellbook at character creation?

sideswipe
2015-02-24, 06:07 AM
more of a question out of interest.

using gray elven generalist domain wizard with collegate wizard and precocious apprentice (int 20) you can get 8+int first level and 1 second level at level 1. and all cantrips. thats 14

using only first party sources can you get more 1st level spells at first level? and how many cantrips can you dig up?
if you get confused with first party clarification, then think iron chef rulings. and 3.5 only.

i want to see if a first level character at creation can fill a spellbook (100 pages)

Crake
2015-02-24, 07:09 AM
more of a question out of interest.

using gray elven generalist domain wizard with collegate wizard and precocious apprentice (int 20) you can get 8+int first level and 1 second level at level 1. and all cantrips. thats 14

using only first party sources can you get more 1st level spells at first level? and how many cantrips can you dig up?
if you get confused with first party clarification, then think iron chef rulings. and 3.5 only.

i want to see if a first level character at creation can fill a spellbook (100 pages)

There's way more than 14 cantrips. Just in the players handbook there's 19 wizard cantrips. Also, I'm not sure how you got to 8+int spells at 1st level with elven generalist and collegiate wizard, unless you're including the 2nd level spell in there. Collegiate wizard ups it from 3+int to 6+int and elven generalist adds a flat +1.

sideswipe
2015-02-24, 08:12 AM
There's way more than 14 cantrips. Just in the players handbook there's 19 wizard cantrips. Also, I'm not sure how you got to 8+int spells at 1st level with elven generalist and collegiate wizard, unless you're including the 2nd level spell in there. Collegiate wizard ups it from 3+int to 6+int and elven generalist adds a flat +1.

you miss read my post. you get 8+int 1st level spells and a 2nd level spell, equalling 14. i was asking for the total number of cantrips you can get from all first party sources to add to the 14.

edit - i should have been more clear

Gwachitallemall
2015-02-24, 08:47 AM
Can't you use domain wizard with Elven generalist? That'd be another 1st (It's automatically written into your spell book)

sideswipe
2015-02-24, 08:58 AM
Can't you use domain wizard with Elven generalist? That'd be another 1st (It's automatically written into your spell book)

already included, im looking for the max number of first party cantrips.

Gwachitallemall
2015-02-24, 09:24 AM
There's the ones in the PHB + the ones in the SPC.. that's the only 0's I know of. There's 38 total, in all of the books. That'd be 19 pages.

Book of Vile Darkness, Ghost Walk, Magic of Fae'run. Spell Compendium and PHB. Are the only books that have any.

Edit: Removing 3.0.. we lose.. 7. Meaning there's only 31 in 3.5 sources. Which is, just PHB and SPC.

sideswipe
2015-02-24, 09:32 AM
There's the ones in the PHB + the ones in the SPC.. that's the only 0's I know of. There's 38 total, in all of the books. That'd be 19 pages.

Book of Vile Darkness, Ghost Walk, Magic of Fae'run. Spell Compendium and PHB. Are the only books that have any.

Edit: Removing 3.0.. we lose.. 7. Meaning there's only 31 in 3.5 sources. Which is, just PHB and SPC.

ok well thats 38 pages (0 level take a page).

ill have to scour books for my answer then. i was hoping some of the regulars could just suggest ones they know.

Gwachitallemall
2015-02-24, 09:44 AM
I don't think you understand.. I just found -every- single one for you. That's all the 0 level spells. There's about 8 more but they're all copies.

The 7 I removed were from 3.0 sources, which were not allowed.

2015-02-24, 10:56 AM
I want to see if a first level character at creation can fill a spellbook (100 pages)

I think, for the restrictions you've placed on it (1st party 3.5 only, no Dragon Mag), you've got about the best you're going to get. For something a little cheesier...

Base Race: Exiled Modron (Dragon Magazine #354, pg 43)
Templates: Incarnate Construct (Savage Species, pg 120); Half-Ogre (Dragon Magazine #313, pg 95); Primordial Giant (Secrets of Xen'drik, pg 81)
Intelligence (before adjustment): 18
Intelligence (after adjustment): 25 (base 18+Exiled Modron 2+Half-Ogre (-2)+Primordial Giant 4+Venerable 3)
LA: +0
Classes: Wizard 1
ACFs: Domain Wizard
Feats: Precocious Apprentice; Collegiate Wizard; Scribe Scroll; ? (your choice)
Spellbook Spells:

Source
0th
1st
2nd

Wizard 1
38*

Domain Wizard ACF

Collegiate Wizard feat

Intelligence 25

Precocious Apprentice feat

Total

Pages

*: According to That Damn Site, there's 46 Wizard cantrips throughout 3.0/3.5, but there's a bunch that repeat, so those have been removed from this number.

58 pages in total. Not too bad...

sideswipe
2015-02-24, 01:13 PM
well its not too bad then lol thanks all. question satisfied