PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Kobold Help

Wacky89
2015-02-24, 08:57 AM
So Kobold has the Slight Build Racial feature.
This allows them to count as tiny when it is a benefit.

I got 2 questions:
Does this mean I get +2 size bonus to ac and hit
Can I wear tiny armor and shield?

Tiri
2015-02-24, 09:06 AM
I think so.

aspekt
2015-02-24, 09:23 AM
From the Wizards site:

Slight Build: The physical stature of kobolds lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a kobold is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the kobold is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. A kobold is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. A kobold can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a kobold remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a

So to me that says, No you cannot fit in Tiny armor. But I could see a houserule by the table or DM to allow it.

I would also guess that Tiny size bonuses are completely based on each case. The paragraph seems to suggest that you gain a bonus, in general, when there is an opposed circumstance check.

The other reason I say this is that the RAW doesnt just come out and state, Kobolds gain the bonuses typically attributed to the Tiny size category. Instead it suggests situations in which those bonuses might apply.

illyahr
2015-02-24, 10:40 AM
Is there a FAQ or errata that covers the goliath's Powerful Build? It's basically the same thing with the same wording, they just count as larger.

Rebel7284
2015-02-24, 11:31 AM
Hit and AC are not opposed checks.

Also, squeezing in tight spaces is not the same thing as squeezing yourself into armor that's too small.